The Obama legacy: 92898000 Americans not working

Here is a little bit of information for those who are blaming the low rate on students and those over 64.

Question: What is the Labor Force Participation Rate?

Answer: The labor force participation rate is the percentage of working-age persons in an economy who:

What is the Labor Force Participation Rate
  • Are employed
  • Are unemployed but looking for a job
Incorrect. The Population used is the Civilian Non-institutional Population: "Included are persons 16 years of age and older residing in the 50 States and the District of Columbia who are not inmates of institutions (for example, penal and mental facilities, homes for the aged), and who are not on active duty in the Armed Forces." (Employment and Earnings, Concepts and Definitions
Labor Force is Employed plus Unemployed. Employed means during the reference week worked at least one hour for pay or at least 15 hours unpaid in family business/farm or temporarily absent from usual job due to vacation, illness/injury, bad weather or strike. Unemployed means during the reference week did not work and actively looked for work in the 4 weeks ending in the reference week. Those on temporary layoff are unemployed whether or not they looked.

Everyone else in the population is "Not in the Labor Force."

How can me providing what you quote be incorrect? What exactly is incorrect? Are women not looking for work, students, and the retired not looking for work included or not?

Here is a little bit of information for those who are blaming the low rate on students and those over 64.

Answer: The labor force participation rate is the percentage of working-age persons in an economy who:

• Are employed
Incorrect. The Population used is the Civilian Non-institutional Population: "Included are persons 16 years of age and older residing in the 50 States and the District of Columbia who are not inmates of institutions (for example, penal and mental facilities, homes for the aged), and who are not on active duty in the Armed Forces." (Employment and Earnings, Concepts and Definitions
Labor Force is Employed plus Unemployed. Employed means during the reference week worked at least one hour for pay or at least 15 hours unpaid in family business/farm or temporarily absent from usual job due to vacation, illness/injury, bad weather or strike. Unemployed means during the reference week did not work and actively looked for work in the 4 weeks ending in the reference week. Those on temporary layoff are unemployed whether or not they looked.

How can me providing what you quote be incorrect? What exactly is incorrect? Are women not looking for work, students, and the retired not looking for work included or not?
I cut off the quote too soon. I cut off the part that said "Typically "working-age persons" is defined as people between the ages of 16-64."

Your post claimed the population used was only age 16-64, which is untrue. So those Not in the Labor Force do include those 65 and older and students and stay home spouses etc, so that an increase in those groups will make the LFPR go down.

Last edited:

• Are employed

Your post claimed the population used was only age 16-64, which is untrue. So those Not in the Labor Force do include those 65 and older and students and stay home spouses etc, so that an increase in those groups will make the LFPR go down.

I quoted the links. The one quote to which you refer is found in the second link.

• Are employed

I quoted the links. The one quote to which you refer is found in the second link.
And it's wrong, as I showed in my link

the RW's have no idea how to calculate unemployment #'s and OFFER no way to calculate unemployment #'s ... they simply disagree with any and ALL unemployment #'s... makes their life simple ... just like them.

Last edited:
unemployment and workers who left the labor force are the same thing ??? ...

how damn stupid are Republicans anyway?

the RW's have no idea how to calculate unemployment #'s and OFFER no way to calculate unemployment #'s ... they simply disagree with any and ALL unemployment #'s... makes their life simple ... just like them.

I provided two links that show how participation rate and unemployed and employed are calculated. Your failure to read either is not a failure on anyone else's part.

I provided two links that show how participation rate and unemployed and employed are calculated. Your failure to read either is not a failure on anyone else's part.

U1
U2
U3
U4
U5
U6

which one? ^^^^^^^^^ then define it. .. or pick one and I'll define it for you.

where would the economy be if 92 million people were unemployed and trying to pay bills ...logic totally escapes RW fools

Ok , sory to disagree here, but even conceeding that this numbers are right. This is an inheritance from Dubya's mortgage crisis and Dubya's Iraq war.

I don't think its fair at all to blame all on Obama.
The rate of ascent increased around 1990; then again around 2001; then again around 2008. It was in 2001 that baby boomers began hitting the earliest age of retirement of 55. It was in 2008 that they began hitting the next retirement age of 62.

latest_numbers_LNS15000000_1990_2015_all_period_M02_data.gif

Persons who are neither employed nor unemployed are not in the labor force. This category includes retired persons, students, those taking care of children or other family members, and others who are neither working nor seeking work.

in 1933 there were 125 million people in the country ... 11 million were UNEMPLOYED

that was called THE GREAT DEPRESSION

now we have 300 million people in the country and 92 million are unemployed????

as noted, LOGIC and MATH escape the stupid ass RW's.

• Are employed

Which is exactly why I questioned why you would refer to about.com instead of bls.gov. do you enjoy making an ass of yourself?

From the OP's own link:

"In 2000, baby boomers were aged 36 to 54 years and were in the group with the highest participation rates: the prime-aged group 25 to 54 years old. The participation rate for women in this group was 76.7 percent and for men was 91.6 percent, so that the overall participation rate of the group was 84.0 percent. The participation rate of the next-older age group, that 55 years and older, was 32.4 percent, so the difference between the two age groups was 52 percentage points.”

But, with the passage of every year after 2000, a segment of the baby-boomer population passes into the 55-years-and-older age group, thus moving from a group with a high participation rate in the labor force to an age category with a much lower participation rate, causing the overall participation rate to decrease, BLS explained.

“The baby boomers’ exit from the prime-aged workforce (with the highest participation rates) into the 55-years-and older age groups (with much lower participation rates) will ultimately lower the overall labor force participation rate, leading to a slowdown in the growth of the labor force."

Lemme 'splain it to ya .... in the rightwing mind, no Liberal can do anything right. So when something does go right under a Liberal's leadership, their brain simply cannot process it. They're wired like that. So for them, as backwards thinking as it is, they have to find some reason to explain it to where it makes sense to them. When the economy boomed under Clinton, their deformed brains couldn't let Clinton have any credit, so they idiotically credited Reagan (they had to skip past Bush Sr. Since the economy tanked under him). We now witness the same pathology under Obama. Again, their brain simply cannot comprehend a Liberal doing any good. But since they can't credit Bush and since Reagan is too distant a memory now, there is no Conservative they can credit. This sort of limits their options. The two options the herd has glommed onto are the U3 unemployment rate does not tell the true picture, or none of Obama's BLS numbers can be trusted. Only then does the rightwingnut brain see what it perceives as "reality."

... hope that clears it up for ya! :thup:

Lemme 'splain it to ya .... in the rightwing mind, no Liberal can do anything right. So when something does go right under a Liberal's leadership, their brain simply cannot process it. They're wired like that. So for them, as backwards thinking as it is, they have to find some reason to explain it to where it makes sense to them. When the economy boomed under Clinton, their deformed brains couldn't let Clinton have any credit, so they idiotically credited Reagan (they had to skip past Bush Sr. Since the economy tanked under him). We now witness the same pathology under Obama. Again, their brain simply cannot comprehend a Liberal doing any good. But since they can't credit Bush and since Reagan is too distant a memory now, there is no Conservative they can credit. This sort of limits their options. The two options the herd has glommed onto are the U3 unemployment rate does not tell the true picture, or none of Obama's BLS numbers can be trusted. Only then does the rightwingnut brain see what it perceives as "reality."

... hope that clears it up for ya! :thup:

thanks, but you're preaching to the choir. I've had those mindless, partisan hack little twits figured out for well over a decade. Took me about 3 seconds to do an indepth study of their intelligence and credibility.

;)

Forum List

Back