Question: If someone leaves the Christian church & becomes an atheist, is he or she still a Chr...?

You can't be a Christian and an atheist at the same time.

Yeah that's pretty obvious to me but some it appears want to say that it is impossible to leave the Christian church and become an atheist.

("Once a Christian, always a Christian" is their silly claim.)

-

That belief would contradict the Bible wouldn't it? There's the life of Judas Iscariot (who left the church as it were haha,) and there's this Bible Scripture:

John 6:66
(66)From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

-

You might be right. But that line could be taken to simply mean those followers of Jesus only physically stopped following him, it could be argued that they were still Christian.
Judas Escariot (btw, he was innocent) is condemned by the Church, but I don't recall him being directly condemned by Jesus.

REALLY?!?!?!

"23 Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”

25 Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely you don’t mean me, Rabbi?”

Jesus answered, “You have said so.”
(Matt 26:23-25, NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 26 - New International Version

"17 When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve. 18 While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me.”

19 They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, “Surely you don’t mean me?”

20 “It is one of the Twelve,” he replied, “one who dips bread into the bowl with me. 21 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”"
(Mark 14: 17-20, NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: Mark 14 - New International Version

"21 But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. 22 The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man who betrays him!” (Luke 22: 21-22, NIV)

Bible Gateway passage: Luke 22 - New International Version

I think perhaps you should read your Bible again.

So was Judas still a Christian after he betrayed Jesus? :)

-

No but the reason why is not because of the betrayal but because of the time line and definitions. By definition a Christian is someone who believes a certain set of things, but one of them is a belief in the resurrection of Jesus. This was established at the First Council of Nicea and by that definition it means that, according to scripture, the first "Christian" was Mary Magdalene because although the gospels differ regarding who was present when Jesus' tomb was found empty, Mary was always among them. Thus, Magdalene's real significance is not all that Da Vinci Code bullshit, for which there is no evidence at all, but that it was her who may have been the first believer in the resurrection and thus the first "Christian" as we define it.

Since scripture tells us that Judas either hanged himself or fell off a cliff prior to the resurrection or Jesus revealing Himself, then Judas could not be a Christian because he was dead before belief in the resurrection began to take root. Thus Judas could not have "remained a Christian" because Christianity did not exist until he was dead. So he never was one to begin with.

Beyond that, you have to keep in mind that the apostles did not believe they were starting a new religion. They believed they were guiding Judaism into the next (and final phase) according to the Messianic prophecies. This is spelled out quite clearly in the genealogy outlined in Matthew 1 wherein every 14 generations something significant happens that represents a radical change in the course of Judaism.

It is written in Luke 17: 4 "Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent,' you must forgive them." Thus we can argue that had Judas repented and asked forgiveness he would have been forgiven, but he died (either by accident or by his own hand) prior to that and so.....well...tough titty for him. ;)

Perhaps another way to word it is, was Judas still a believer in Jesus after betraying him? If not, his life proves that people can disbelieve after their believing.

-

Well I guess I would answer that it depends on which book you read. In Matthew, Judas hanged himself in despair. I suppose the argument could be made that it was an act of desperation that represents a form of repentance (although I think that would be a stretch to connect suicide out of despair to repentance). So according to Matthew, I think you could make the argument that Judas did still believe in Jesus and killed himself out of horror that he had betrayed the Son of Man.

But now let's look at Luke/Acts. Well according to that there is no sign of despair or repentance. Judas just fell off a cliff and broke open and died. Hence Matthias was chosen to replace him...because remember....there had to be 12 disciples because they were to represent the 12 tribes of Israel. So according to Luke/Acts there is at least no evidence that Judas repented or continued to believe in Jesus.

So it depends on which books you read

You can't be a Christian and an atheist at the same time.

Yeah that's pretty obvious to me but some it appears want to say that it is impossible to leave the Christian church and become an atheist.

("Once a Christian, always a Christian" is their silly claim.)

-

As I said....the question in your OP is addressed by scripture. Read 1 John 2. It answers that question directly

Actually... Islam and Christianity are extremely compatible.

Christians and Muslims worship the same supreme God, tell many of the same stories, revere many of the same people, share similar mythology, they both believe in Heaven and Hell and Celestial beings and Infernal beings, they both believe in a Devil/ Shaaitan, etc.

They can both be used for mass manipulation, indoctrination, exploitation of the masses, social control, etc... and to justify war and violence and murder and torture and conquest... but they can also both be used to embrace a life of peace, love, compassion, respect, and virtue. It's up to the individual do do what you Will, and believe what you Will.

Islam and Christianity are both Abrahamism, and they can be greatly compatible with each other... if it is your Will to open your eyes.

Hi :) ... You sound like you are saying that every person is a God unto his or her self, or is worthy of his or her own worship in and of his/her self. If you are saying that, would you be able to offer a proof of that?

A1977

-

How did you get "being your own God" from "Islam and Christianity are both Abrahamism and can be greatly compatible with one another"?

If anything, I believe everyone should be their own prophet... and their own messiah.

You might be right. But that line could be taken to simply mean those followers of Jesus only physically stopped following him, it could be argued that they were still Christian.
Judas Escariot (btw, he was innocent) is condemned by the Church, but I don't recall him being directly condemned by Jesus.

REALLY?!?!?!

"23 Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”

25 Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely you don’t mean me, Rabbi?”

"17 When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve. 18 While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me.”

19 They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, “Surely you don’t mean me?”

20 “It is one of the Twelve,” he replied, “one who dips bread into the bowl with me. 21 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.”"

"21 But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. 22 The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed. But woe to that man who betrays him!” (Luke 22: 21-22, NIV)

-

No but the reason why is not because of the betrayal but because of the time line and definitions. By definition a Christian is someone who believes a certain set of things, but one of them is a belief in the resurrection of Jesus. This was established at the First Council of Nicea and by that definition it means that, according to scripture, the first "Christian" was Mary Magdalene because although the gospels differ regarding who was present when Jesus' tomb was found empty, Mary was always among them. Thus, Magdalene's real significance is not all that Da Vinci Code bullshit, for which there is no evidence at all, but that it was her who may have been the first believer in the resurrection and thus the first "Christian" as we define it.

Since scripture tells us that Judas either hanged himself or fell off a cliff prior to the resurrection or Jesus revealing Himself, then Judas could not be a Christian because he was dead before belief in the resurrection began to take root. Thus Judas could not have "remained a Christian" because Christianity did not exist until he was dead. So he never was one to begin with.

Beyond that, you have to keep in mind that the apostles did not believe they were starting a new religion. They believed they were guiding Judaism into the next (and final phase) according to the Messianic prophecies. This is spelled out quite clearly in the genealogy outlined in Matthew 1 wherein every 14 generations something significant happens that represents a radical change in the course of Judaism.

It is written in Luke 17: 4 "Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent,' you must forgive them." Thus we can argue that had Judas repented and asked forgiveness he would have been forgiven, but he died (either by accident or by his own hand) prior to that and so.....well...tough titty for him. ;)

Perhaps another way to word it is, was Judas still a believer in Jesus after betraying him? If not, his life proves that people can disbelieve after their believing.

-

Well I guess I would answer that it depends on which book you read. In Matthew, Judas hanged himself in despair. I suppose the argument could be made that it was an act of desperation that represents a form of repentance (although I think that would be a stretch to connect suicide out of despair to repentance). So according to Matthew, I think you could make the argument that Judas did still believe in Jesus and killed himself out of horror that he had betrayed the Son of Man.

But now let's look at Luke/Acts. Well according to that there is no sign of despair or repentance. Judas just fell off a cliff and broke open and died. Hence Matthias was chosen to replace him...because remember....there had to be 12 disciples because they were to represent the 12 tribes of Israel. So according to Luke/Acts there is at least no evidence that Judas repented or continued to believe in Jesus.

Actually the Book of Acts says that the Holy Ghost prophesied against Judas' life & deeds. Acts 1:15-19, KJV says:

(15)And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,) (16)Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. (17)For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry. (18)Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. (19)And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

This Scripture plainly says that Judas turned to iniquity.

Thus it is clear that Judas became a disbeliever in Jesus, or as it were, "left the church." :)

-

Last edited:

Christians and Muslims worship the same supreme God, tell many of the same stories, revere many of the same people, share similar mythology, they both believe in Heaven and Hell and Celestial beings and Infernal beings, they both believe in a Devil/ Shaaitan, etc.

They can both be used for mass manipulation, indoctrination, exploitation of the masses, social control, etc... and to justify war and violence and murder and torture and conquest... but they can also both be used to embrace a life of peace, love, compassion, respect, and virtue. It's up to the individual do do what you Will, and believe what you Will.

Islam and Christianity are both Abrahamism, and they can be greatly compatible with each other... if it is your Will to open your eyes.

Hi :) ... You sound like you are saying that every person is a God unto his or her self, or is worthy of his or her own worship in and of his/her self. If you are saying that, would you be able to offer a proof of that?

A1977

-

How did you get "being your own God" from "Islam and Christianity are both Abrahamism and can be greatly compatible with one another"?

If anything, I believe everyone should be their own prophet... and their own messiah.

I see...and why say you that one should be his or her own prophet/messiah? :)

-

A1977

-

I personally agree with you to some extent...a large extent actually. But the point I have tried to make to you is that the average Muslim and Jew/Christian does not see it the same way. Would the world be a better place if tolerance and sharing was the norm? Of course. But that's not the world we live in. I think you might overlook the importance of the purity of the Covenant and that drives these two religions (Judaism and Islam) and is the catalyst for the conflict that has been happening for thousands of years.

I appreciate your perspective and agree with it, but I think it is unrealistic to expect it to become the majority opinion. Thus by advancing it, all we do is portray ourselves as somehow being superior in intellectual capacity and that does nothing to address the real world problems that are the result of a very real conflict in religious identity and scriptural promises

REALLY?!?!?!

-

-

Actually the Book of Acts says that the Holy Ghost prophesied against Judas' life & deeds. Acts 1:15-19, KJV says:

(15)And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,) (16)Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. (17)For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry. (18)Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. (19)And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

Thus it is clear that Judas became a disbeliever in Jesus, or as it were, "left the church." :)

-

That'as actually a very deep discussion. In a certain perspective you are correct, but it's more complicated than that and it's really not paramount to this discussion. As I have said, my feeling is that Judas fucked up, there was no redemption, and that Judas was not an innocent who was simply working within "the master plan". I mean he was...but he wasn't. But it's far more complicated

Innocent? What do you mean?

Long story, but even without the Gospel of Judas the common Biblical interpretation doesn't make sense. The "30 pieces of silver" thing is a red-herring, that story comes down to either a mistranslation or a deliberate error. 30 pieces of silver would be money paid in taxes not money received by Judas. The Gospel of Judas matches up pretty well with what would be a more realistic scenario; Judas as Jesus' most trusted companion, Jesus sends him to arrange for Jesus to meet with the Jewish Sanhedrin (Jewish leaders/elders).
There is no Gospel of Judas and what you're describing sounds more like something cooked up for The DaVinci Code. Judas' role as disciple, thief and traitor make sense and fulfill prophesy.

It's not in The Bible, it's one of the Gnostic Gospels, but from the point of view of a historian it's more than old enough to be considered as valid as any other part of the New Testament. Christianity existed as a religion before the New Testament was compiled, so for many Christians in the earliest days, the Gospel of Judas would have been part of their teaching.

Those "teachings" are heretical.

Gnosticism is the attempt to present an Eastern worldview with Christian language. A syncretistic sect that blended many different religions, including Christianity, wrote the Gnostic gospels. From the very moment that they appeared, Christian leaders and the church (in general) rejected the Gnostic gospels as uninspired and incompatible with the historic doctrines of the Christian faith.

Unfortunately, the world today is grossly illiterate regarding the Bible. The fact is that many today simply do not care whether the “Gospel of Judas” differs from the true Gospels as long as God can be found as they so desire. The concern of the canonical councils to only recognize the books of the Bible (and consistently reject the Gnostic gospels) that have always been God’s Word is foreign to most people. It is no wonder then that people can be so easily deceived about obviously fraudulent material.
What about the “Gospel of Judas” and appeal of Gnosticism?

-

-

-

That'as actually a very deep discussion. In a certain perspective you are correct, but it's more complicated than that and it's really not paramount to this discussion. As I have said, my feeling is that Judas fucked up, there was no redemption, and that Judas was not an innocent who was simply working within "the master plan". I mean he was...but he wasn't. But it's far more complicated

Yeah...my focus was just on did he become a disbeliever in Jesus.

"Turned to iniquity" is what Acts says. Jesus teaches against iniquity; ergo, pretty simple to me that he became a disbeliever.

-

Question: If someone leaves the Christian church & becomes an atheist...

They become an apostate...

... and outside the circle of God's grace...

... and become subject to the fire and brimstone of Hell.

Yup...obvious that there is such a thing as an "apostate."

But not obvious why some want to deny that there is such a thing as an "apostate." :lol:

-

I heard someone say once a member of a religion always a member of that religion but if someone leaves the Christian church and becomes an atheist, is that person still a Christian? Or if a Christian converts to Islam is that person still a Christian?...:)

No, that person is no longer a Christian for just by having left this ridiculous, money-grubbing faith she has proven that she is much too intelligent to ever again be labeled as being a member of it.

-

Yeah...my focus was just on did he become a disbeliever in Jesus.

"Turned to iniquity" is what Acts says. Jesus teaches against iniquity; ergo, pretty simple to me that he became a disbeliever.

I don't see how Judas could seriously not believe in Jesus as The Messiah unless he'd witnessed something that convinced him otherwise. As a close follower of Jesus he must have been witness to a number of miracles, and just one would be enough to convince most people. If you knew for a fact that Jesus really did have incredible supernatural powers, who in their right mind would risk eternal damnation by betraying him for some cash? Ridiculous.

The only way the story even begins to make sense is if you take the Gospel of Judas to be part of the story, according to which Jesus commanded Judas to hand him over to the priests of the Sanhedrin. Which doesn't make a lot of sense either, but it makes more sense than the first story.

It depends on the denomination; one or two denominations of Christianity believe that once baptized you are a Christian forever, others do not.

That belief would contradict the Bible wouldn't it? There's the life of Judas Iscariot (who left the church as it were haha,) and there's this Bible Scripture:

(66)From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

-

REALLY?!?!?!

-

Sure Judas Iscariot is a Christian. He is even one of the best teachers for all Christians. But I'm not sure wether he celebrates Christmas at Christmas or wether we will meet him in heaven. But who knows this in the end really? We are not god on our own - we are only his children. By the way: Why are so many people here are interested in the mystery of the death of Jesus Christ while we wait expecting soon to be able to celebrate the mystery of his birth?

Last edited:
I heard someone say once a member of a religion always a member of that religion but if someone leaves the Christian church and becomes an atheist, is that person still a Christian? Or if a Christian converts to Islam is that person still a Christian?...:)
-

Leaving something means you are 'leaving' it. You aren't interested anymore. If the place burned down you'd say 'that's a shame' and then switch channels. If another religion's god showed up you'd say 'see, I knew something was up'.

On the other hand watch a few of the documentaries where people tried to leave Scientology. They'll cling to you like leeches on a hairless cat.

Scientology is a criminal organisation - nothing else.

Last edited:

-

REALLY?!?!?!

-

-

As far as I heard he did suicide afterwards. Suicide is not a characteristics of the belief in god.

Last edited:
-

I would think that if they changed their beliefs, the would be classified by that belief, regardless of what they wanted to identify themselves as.

Even these perverts who get their peckers turned inside out and wear dresses. They're still not women. They're just queers.

... or monkeys - but that's another story.

Forum List

Back