"I'm 28, and I'm scheduled to die in May"

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Should human beings truly have free will, and the ability to end their life whenever they choose? I don't think someone this young should be afforded this option, but if your medical illness is terminal, then of course this should be allowed.

Zoraya ter Beek, 28, expects to be euthanized in early May.

Her plan, she said, is to be cremated.

“I did not want to burden my partner with having to keep the grave tidy,” ter Beek texted me. “We have not picked an urn yet, but that will be my new house!”

She added an urn emoji after “house!”

Ter Beek, who lives in a little Dutch town near the German border, once had ambitions to become a psychiatrist, but she was never able to muster the will to finish school or start a career. She said she was hobbled by her depression and autism and borderline personality disorder. Now she was tired of living—despite, she said, being in love with her boyfriend, a 40-year-old IT programmer, and living in a nice house with their two cats.

She recalled her psychiatrist telling her that they had tried everything, that “there’s nothing more we can do for you. It’s never gonna get any better.”

At that point, she said, she decided to die. “I was always very clear that if it doesn’t get better, I can’t do this anymore.”

As if to advertise her hopelessness, ter Beek has a tattoo of a “tree of life” on her upper left arm, but “in reverse.”

“Where the tree of life stands for growth and new beginnings,” she texted, “my tree is the opposite. It is losing its leaves, it is dying. And once the tree died, the bird flew out of it. I don’t see it as my soul leaving, but more as myself being freed from life.”

Her liberation, as it were, will take place at her home. “No music,” she said. “I will be going on the couch in the living room.”

She added: “The doctor really takes her time. It is not that they walk in and say: lay down please! Most of the time it is first a cup of coffee to settle the nerves and create a soft atmosphere. Then she asks if I am ready. I will take my place on the couch. She will once again ask if I am sure, and she will start up the procedure and wish me a good journey. Or, in my case, a nice nap, because I hate it if people say, ‘Safe journey.’ I’m not going anywhere.”

Then the doctor will administer a sedative, followed by a drug that will stop ter Beek’s heart.

When she’s dead, a euthanasia review committee will evaluate her death to ensure the doctor adhered to “due care criteria,” and the Dutch government will (almost certainly) declare that the life of Zoraya ter Beek was lawfully ended.

She’s asked her boyfriend to be with her to the very end.

Should human beings truly have free will, and the ability to end their life whenever they choose? I don't think someone this young should be afforded this option, but if your medical illness is terminal, then of course this should be allowed.

“I did not want to burden my partner with having to keep the grave tidy,” ter Beek texted me. “We have not picked an urn yet, but that will be my new house!”

Ter Beek, who lives in a little Dutch town near the German border, once had ambitions to become a psychiatrist, but she was never able to muster the will to finish school or start a career. She said she was hobbled by her depression and autism and borderline personality disorder. Now she was tired of living—despite, she said, being in love with her boyfriend, a 40-year-old IT programmer, and living in a nice house with their two cats.

She recalled her psychiatrist telling her that they had tried everything, that “there’s nothing more we can do for you. It’s never gonna get any better.”

At that point, she said, she decided to die. “I was always very clear that if it doesn’t get better, I can’t do this anymore.”

As if to advertise her hopelessness, ter Beek has a tattoo of a “tree of life” on her upper left arm, but “in reverse.”

“Where the tree of life stands for growth and new beginnings,” she texted, “my tree is the opposite. It is losing its leaves, it is dying. And once the tree died, the bird flew out of it. I don’t see it as my soul leaving, but more as myself being freed from life.”

Her liberation, as it were, will take place at her home. “No music,” she said. “I will be going on the couch in the living room.”

She added: “The doctor really takes her time. It is not that they walk in and say: lay down please! Most of the time it is first a cup of coffee to settle the nerves and create a soft atmosphere. Then she asks if I am ready. I will take my place on the couch. She will once again ask if I am sure, and she will start up the procedure and wish me a good journey. Or, in my case, a nice nap, because I hate it if people say, ‘Safe journey.’ I’m not going anywhere.”

Then the doctor will administer a sedative, followed by a drug that will stop ter Beek’s heart.

When she’s dead, a euthanasia review committee will evaluate her death to ensure the doctor adhered to “due care criteria,” and the Dutch government will (almost certainly) declare that the life of Zoraya ter Beek was lawfully ended.

Euthanasia of young people like that is murder. She has no terminal illness.

Last edited:

explains it all.

Euthanasia of young people like that is murder. She has no terminal illness.
I am perplexed. When we hide behind words and euphemism to rationalize a thing. That's major tell. Abortion or infanticide or yin yang state sponsored euthanasia or just thinly veiled suicide. Euphuisms, I am damned tired of democrats and their verbal euphemistic diarrhea of the left.

I am perplexed. When we hide behind words and euphemism to rationalize a thing. That's major tell. Abortion or infanticide or yin yang state sponsored euthanasia or just thinly veiled suicide. Euphuisms, I am damned tired of democrats and their verbal euphemistic diarrhea of the left.
I'm for plain words and straightforward speaking. Yes, words mean things, and Democrats are constanly trying to redefine or warp the meaning of words.

Again?

She's been slated to die on this forum at least four times already.
I thought this sounded familiar. I will be glad when May gets here, so we won't have to read it again.

Millions die due to suicide so all she is doing is making sure her death is publicized.

No, you're wrong yet again, she is seeking medical intervention to end her life instead of doing it herself and making a mess of things.
She got that already. It is a wild story even for Holland.

Forum List

Back