Can atheist enjoy the Bible?

Are atheists allowed to enjoy the Bible?

• Yes

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Blah blah blah(other)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are atheist allowed to enjoy the Bible?

Can atheist dig deeper into one of the bigger influences of English/American development?

Can atheists study and/or practice the ethics taught by Christ in the gospels?

Can atheists gain inspiration from the colorful and powerful stories of the Bible?

or do atheists have an obligation to hate the Bible?
Those free from religion likely wrote some of the bible – the bible is as much about politics as religion.
Those free from religion likely wrote some of the bible – the bible is as much about politics as religion.
there is knowledge in that book that have nothing to do with the desert religions.

religion in fact would be the very beginning moment life began - and how to keep the flame alive and ever brighter - there is some small element in the desert religions but not in what they refuse to correct and to not do so is an enticement to allow life's flame to dullen and perhaps to die - reading the christian bible should be to bring it back alive and build the knowledge that began life and in the very least not let that book put out the flame as that is what those that refuse to see the light will accomplish as their misguided goal.

Can atheist dig deeper into one of the bigger influences of English/American development?

Can atheists gain inspiration from the colorful and powerful stories of the Bible?

That's a tough ask. It's a pretty crappy piece of literature, for one. Second, it is one of our first and worst attempts at morality, ethics, science, and philosophy. And the god character is so nauseating and evil, that one has a hard time discerning anything valuable to learn from it, without the influence of faith and preconceptions about the story and the depicted god. I read it in its entirey when i was younger, but it was more of a challenge to myself than something i enjoyed. Nowadays, i doubt i would get through Deuteronomy without wanting to pluck my eyes out instead.
Dude, that critique says way more about you than that "crappy piece of literature" you are critiquing.

And anyone who would agree with that critique.

That's a tough ask. It's a pretty crappy piece of literature, for one. Second, it is one of our first and worst attempts at morality, ethics, science, and philosophy. And the god character is so nauseating and evil, that one has a hard time discerning anything valuable to learn from it, without the influence of faith and preconceptions about the story and the depicted god. I read it in its entirey when i was younger, but it was more of a challenge to myself than something i enjoyed. Nowadays, i doubt i would get through Deuteronomy without wanting to pluck my eyes out instead.
Dude, that critique says way more about you than that "crappy piece of literature" you are critiquing.

Thank you ding for yet another useless opinion of me.

I didn't provide the opinion of you. You provided it yourself with your critique that was so far outside of the accepted belief as to be comical. I dare say that your critique would be laughed off the stage by any reputable scholar of religion, philosophy and literature.

I didn't provide the opinion of you. You provided it yourself with your critique that was so far outside of the accepted belief as to be comical. I dare say that your critique would be laughed off the stage by any reputable scholar of religion, philosophy and literature.
Nobody cares, ding. This isn't the, "Cry like a little bitch" section.

Nobody cares, ding. This isn't the, "Cry like a little bitch" section.
Dude, it was YOUR outlandish critique that revealed YOU as the crying little bitch. I'm not crying over your critique. I am laughing my ass off at it. YOU are the one who showed everyone just how much of crying little bitch YOU are with YOUR critique.

The bible is an excellent piece of literature,
I have read better books and they were written by mere mortal men.

No, you haven't. Lord of the Rings wasn't really that great, no matter what a bunch of hippie stoners say about it.

You would think a Supreme Being would be a better writer

It's way over your head, so you wouldn't know about that either.
Lord of the Rings is fantasy, much like the Bible

Now, what if 2000 years from now, people took Lord of the Rings as the word of God?
That wouldn't be my assessment. It's not very balanced.

The bible is an excellent piece of literature,
I have read better books and they were written by mere mortal men.

No, you haven't. Lord of the Rings wasn't really that great, no matter what a bunch of hippie stoners say about it.

You would think a Supreme Being would be a better writer
V
It's way over your head, so you wouldn't know about that either.
Lord of the Rings is fantasy, much like the Bible

Now, what if 2000 years from now, people took Lord of the Rings as the word of God?
That wouldn't be my assessment. It's not very balanced.

It’s a better tale than the Bible.
What if 2000 years from now, people worship Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones?

When questioned....they say they have “Faith” it is all true

What in the Bible is “good writing”?

People say it is a ”Good Book” because they are afraid God will punish them otherwise

Sure.

I believe even for atheists, embedded deep in Western Culture, the influence of Aquinas is sort of on the nexus, bridging the gap of free inquiry from the religious to the secular.

Epistemology
See also: Double truth

Thomas Aquinas believed "that for the knowledge of any truth whatsoever man needs divine help, that the intellect may be moved by God to its act."[91] However, he believed that human beings have the natural capacity to know many things without special divine revelation, even though such revelation occurs from time to time, "especially in regard to such (truths) as pertain to faith."[92] But this is the light that is given to man by God according to man's nature: "Now every form bestowed on created things by God has power for a determined act[uality], which it can bring about in proportion to its own proper endowment; and beyond which it is powerless, except by a superadded form, as water can only heat when heated by the fire. And thus the human understanding has a form, viz. intelligible light, which of itself is sufficient for knowing certain intelligible things, viz. those we can come to know through the senses."[92]

Cardinal virtues are four virtues of mind and character in both classical philosophy and Christian theology. They are Prudence, Justice, Fortitude, Temperance. They form a virtue theory of ethics. The term cardinal comes from the Latin cardo (hinge);[1] virtues are so called because they are regarded as the basic virtues required for a virtuous life.

These principles derive initially from Plato in Republic Book IV, 426–435 (see also Protagoras 330b, which also includes piety (hosiotes)). They were also recognized by the Stoics. Cicero expanded on them, and Ambrose, Augustine of Hippo, and Thomas Aquinas[2] adapted them while expanding on the theological virtues.

The Bible says, “We shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.” That has a different meaning to me personally as an atheist than it did as a believer. Now that I have rejected Christianity, the Bible has come alive to me. It is an amazing work of literature, philosophy, psychology, sociology, business, law, order, poetry, and just human nature in general. It has such a richer meaning to me now that I am not obligated to believe it. I no longer view it as a big stick to use to beat myself over the head. It is something for me to love and enjoy. When I find something that makes no sense. So what! I’m just reading. I don’t have to get it. If I don’t understand, it won’t make me bad. If I don’t understand, I am not losing a blessing if. So freaking what if I don’t get it! Christians think I should hate the Bible just because they hate it. I respectfully disagree. The Bible is so much more useful to me as an atheist.

When it says God, change it to Anunnaki and it makes even more sense.

You‘re one of those lizard shape shifting types?

Yes, he is; the world is just one great Conspiracy theory for the lad. At least it's easy to sell him any sort of nosnense and make some money, so don't depress the lad until he's been cleaned out.

I take it you have never read the Allegory of the Cave by Plato? But then again, I doubt you have ever even read a book.

Did you buy it or steal it?

I have a pretty big library of books bud. I accumulated a lot of them during my many times in Iraq and Afghanistan, where I did a lot of learning since their was much down time.

You remind me of someone. If that is you.

Who do I remind you off? Or do you mean, you think we met?

We might have done. In the vaults of this place.

Maybe it is because I changed my avatar. I will fix it. :)

Sure.

I believe even for atheists, embedded deep in Western Culture, the influence of Aquinas is sort of on the nexus, bridging the gap of free inquiry from the religious to the secular.

Epistemology
See also: Double truth

Thomas Aquinas believed "that for the knowledge of any truth whatsoever man needs divine help, that the intellect may be moved by God to its act."[91] However, he believed that human beings have the natural capacity to know many things without special divine revelation, even though such revelation occurs from time to time, "especially in regard to such (truths) as pertain to faith."[92] But this is the light that is given to man by God according to man's nature: "Now every form bestowed on created things by God has power for a determined act[uality], which it can bring about in proportion to its own proper endowment; and beyond which it is powerless, except by a superadded form, as water can only heat when heated by the fire. And thus the human understanding has a form, viz. intelligible light, which of itself is sufficient for knowing certain intelligible things, viz. those we can come to know through the senses."[92]

Cardinal virtues are four virtues of mind and character in both classical philosophy and Christian theology. They are Prudence, Justice, Fortitude, Temperance. They form a virtue theory of ethics. The term cardinal comes from the Latin cardo (hinge);[1] virtues are so called because they are regarded as the basic virtues required for a virtuous life.

These principles derive initially from Plato in Republic Book IV, 426–435 (see also Protagoras 330b, which also includes piety (hosiotes)). They were also recognized by the Stoics. Cicero expanded on them, and Ambrose, Augustine of Hippo, and Thomas Aquinas[2] adapted them while expanding on the theological virtues.

The Bible says, “We shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.” That has a different meaning to me personally as an atheist than it did as a believer. Now that I have rejected Christianity, the Bible has come alive to me. It is an amazing work of literature, philosophy, psychology, sociology, business, law, order, poetry, and just human nature in general. It has such a richer meaning to me now that I am not obligated to believe it. I no longer view it as a big stick to use to beat myself over the head. It is something for me to love and enjoy. When I find something that makes no sense. So what! I’m just reading. I don’t have to get it. If I don’t understand, it won’t make me bad. If I don’t understand, I am not losing a blessing if. So freaking what if I don’t get it! Christians think I should hate the Bible just because they hate it. I respectfully disagree. The Bible is so much more useful to me as an atheist.

When it says God, change it to Anunnaki and it makes even more sense.

You‘re one of those lizard shape shifting types?

Yes, he is; the world is just one great Conspiracy theory for the lad. At least it's easy to sell him any sort of nosnense and make some money, so don't depress the lad until he's been cleaned out.

I take it you have never read the Allegory of the Cave by Plato? But then again, I doubt you have ever even read a book.

Did you buy it or steal it?

I have a pretty big library of books bud. I accumulated a lot of them during my many times in Iraq and Afghanistan, where I did a lot of learning since their was much down time.

Did you buy them or steal them? Marketers need to know that info. The Da Vinci Code set off an entire industry aimed at your special type of ignorance and paranoia.

I think people that wear masks and are scared of a virus are paranoid.:D

Probably.

Just try arguing with the police, like I did.

It occurred to me, if it could be proved without a shadow of a doubt, scientifically or otherwise, that there was no God, there would be no need to be an atheist.
I'd have thought it would take a supernatural being/power to prove a negative.

Oh well.

The bible was written by men and can be enjoyed by anyone – just as one can enjoy reading Greek, Roman, and Nordic mythology.

Indeed, the bible is nothing more then a collection of religious mythology, just as untrue as all other myths.

All Myths have a sliver of truth in them and are usually based on some true event then explained with a supernatural twist.

The Bible like the Tanakh, and Quran can be enjoyed by anyone just like the teachings of Buddha, Tao and so on and anyone that believe you can not or should not read and enjoy the life lessons in any of those books is a fool...

Can please we stick to the original topic at hand. There are numerous other threads dealing with COVID, masks, and/or evading the police for not wearing one.

Forum List

Back