Can atheist enjoy the Bible?

Are atheists allowed to enjoy the Bible?

• Yes

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Blah blah blah(other)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sure.

I believe even for atheists, embedded deep in Western Culture, the influence of Aquinas is sort of on the nexus, bridging the gap of free inquiry from the religious to the secular.

Epistemology
See also: Double truth

Thomas Aquinas believed "that for the knowledge of any truth whatsoever man needs divine help, that the intellect may be moved by God to its act."[91] However, he believed that human beings have the natural capacity to know many things without special divine revelation, even though such revelation occurs from time to time, "especially in regard to such (truths) as pertain to faith."[92] But this is the light that is given to man by God according to man's nature: "Now every form bestowed on created things by God has power for a determined act[uality], which it can bring about in proportion to its own proper endowment; and beyond which it is powerless, except by a superadded form, as water can only heat when heated by the fire. And thus the human understanding has a form, viz. intelligible light, which of itself is sufficient for knowing certain intelligible things, viz. those we can come to know through the senses."[92]

Cardinal virtues are four virtues of mind and character in both classical philosophy and Christian theology. They are Prudence, Justice, Fortitude, Temperance. They form a virtue theory of ethics. The term cardinal comes from the Latin cardo (hinge);[1] virtues are so called because they are regarded as the basic virtues required for a virtuous life.

These principles derive initially from Plato in Republic Book IV, 426–435 (see also Protagoras 330b, which also includes piety (hosiotes)). They were also recognized by the Stoics. Cicero expanded on them, and Ambrose, Augustine of Hippo, and Thomas Aquinas[2] adapted them while expanding on the theological virtues.

The Bible says, “We shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.” That has a different meaning to me personally as an atheist than it did as a believer. Now that I have rejected Christianity, the Bible has come alive to me. It is an amazing work of literature, philosophy, psychology, sociology, business, law, order, poetry, and just human nature in general. It has such a richer meaning to me now that I am not obligated to believe it. I no longer view it as a big stick to use to beat myself over the head. It is something for me to love and enjoy. When I find something that makes no sense. So what! I’m just reading. I don’t have to get it. If I don’t understand, it won’t make me bad. If I don’t understand, I am not losing a blessing if. So freaking what if I don’t get it! Christians think I should hate the Bible just because they hate it. I respectfully disagree. The Bible is so much more useful to me as an atheist.

When it says God, change it to Anunnaki and it makes even more sense.

You‘re one of those lizard shape shifting types?

Yes, he is; the world is just one great Conspiracy theory for the lad. At least it's easy to sell him any sort of nosnense and make some money, so don't depress the lad until he's been cleaned out.

I take it you have never read the Allegory of the Cave by Plato? But then again, I doubt you have ever even read a book.

I’ve read it. After that, no other philosophy comes close.

Are atheist allowed to enjoy the Bible?

Can atheist dig deeper into one of the bigger influences of English/American development?

Can atheists study and/or practice the ethics taught by Christ in the gospels?

Can atheists gain inspiration from the colorful and powerful stories of the Bible?

or do atheists have an obligation to hate the Bible?
why does it matter?? the bible is just a silly fairly tale book

Fairy tales are analogies/allegories.
1. atheist is a ridiculous term since there is no god to believe in or not to believe
2. the OP is ridiculous...why does it matter? what's the point?

It occurred to me, if it could be proved without a shadow of a doubt, scientifically or otherwise, that there was no God, there would be no need to be an atheist.
doesn't need to be disproved....the '''theists''' claim it-THEY have to prove it...not vice versa

Sure.

I believe even for atheists, embedded deep in Western Culture, the influence of Aquinas is sort of on the nexus, bridging the gap of free inquiry from the religious to the secular.

Epistemology

Thomas Aquinas believed "that for the knowledge of any truth whatsoever man needs divine help, that the intellect may be moved by God to its act."[91] However, he believed that human beings have the natural capacity to know many things without special divine revelation, even though such revelation occurs from time to time, "especially in regard to such (truths) as pertain to faith."[92] But this is the light that is given to man by God according to man's nature: "Now every form bestowed on created things by God has power for a determined act[uality], which it can bring about in proportion to its own proper endowment; and beyond which it is powerless, except by a superadded form, as water can only heat when heated by the fire. And thus the human understanding has a form, viz. intelligible light, which of itself is sufficient for knowing certain intelligible things, viz. those we can come to know through the senses."[92]

Cardinal virtues are four virtues of mind and character in both classical philosophy and Christian theology. They are Prudence, Justice, Fortitude, Temperance. They form a virtue theory of ethics. The term cardinal comes from the Latin cardo (hinge);[1] virtues are so called because they are regarded as the basic virtues required for a virtuous life.

These principles derive initially from Plato in Republic Book IV, 426–435 (see also Protagoras 330b, which also includes piety (hosiotes)). They were also recognized by the Stoics. Cicero expanded on them, and Ambrose, Augustine of Hippo, and Thomas Aquinas[2] adapted them while expanding on the theological virtues.

The Bible says, “We shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.” That has a different meaning to me personally as an atheist than it did as a believer. Now that I have rejected Christianity, the Bible has come alive to me. It is an amazing work of literature, philosophy, psychology, sociology, business, law, order, poetry, and just human nature in general. It has such a richer meaning to me now that I am not obligated to believe it. I no longer view it as a big stick to use to beat myself over the head. It is something for me to love and enjoy. When I find something that makes no sense. So what! I’m just reading. I don’t have to get it. If I don’t understand, it won’t make me bad. If I don’t understand, I am not losing a blessing if. So freaking what if I don’t get it! Christians think I should hate the Bible just because they hate it. I respectfully disagree. The Bible is so much more useful to me as an atheist.

Yes, he is; the world is just one great Conspiracy theory for the lad. At least it's easy to sell him any sort of nosnense and make some money, so don't depress the lad until he's been cleaned out.

I take it you have never read the Allegory of the Cave by Plato? But then again, I doubt you have ever even read a book.

Did you buy it or steal it?

I have a pretty big library of books bud. I accumulated a lot of them during my many times in Iraq and Afghanistan, where I did a lot of learning since their was much down time.

Can atheist dig deeper into one of the bigger influences of English/American development?

Can atheists gain inspiration from the colorful and powerful stories of the Bible?

Fairy tales are analogies/allegories.
1. atheist is a ridiculous term since there is no god to believe in or not to believe
2. the OP is ridiculous...why does it matter? what's the point?

It occurred to me, if it could be proved without a shadow of a doubt, scientifically or otherwise, that there was no God, there would be no need to be an atheist.
doesn't need to be disproved....the '''theists''' claim it-THEY have to prove it...not vice versa

Okay then... not necessary.

Sure.

Epistemology

I agree....:)Since our friend DudleySmith don't like to read, I will leave him with this. Not sure if he has an attention span of 8 minutes though.:D

Sure.

Epistemology

I have a pretty big library of books bud. I accumulated a lot of them during my many times in Iraq and Afghanistan, where I did a lot of learning since their was much down time.

You remind me of someone. If that is you.

Oh yeah?

The bible was written by men and can be enjoyed by anyone – just as one can enjoy reading Greek, Roman, and Nordic mythology.

Indeed, the bible is nothing more then a collection of religious mythology, just as untrue as all other myths.

View attachment 479375

I hear this argument all the time. Powerful people in life are jerks. God is a jerk. Subordinates in life are ungrateful little babies. A book that teaches human nature should never leave out these extremely common human encounters. Bad people exist. I would even go as far to say that everybody has done something bad at least once in their life. The Bible would have disappeared along with all the other millions of unknown books if it just mentioned the good stuff. Also think about this: if someone saves a girls life from a moving train, how long does it stay in the news as opposed to a story of a somewhat famous person saying the N word?

People love to discuss the horrible things that happen but gloss over the good news. How well is the unicorn, rainbows, and sunshine books doing on Amazon? How well are the books on racism doing right now? A moderately scholarly minded person should be capable of observing the power the Bible has had on so many cultures worldwide especially in Europe and the United States.

Last edited:
Sure.

Epistemology

Who do I remind you off? Or do you mean, you think we met?

The bible was written by men and can be enjoyed by anyone – just as one can enjoy reading Greek, Roman, and Nordic mythology.

Indeed, the bible is nothing more then a collection of religious mythology, just as untrue as all other myths.

The Bill of Rights seems to be a myth also.:(

Sure.

Epistemology

Who do I remind you off? Or do you mean, you think we met?

We might have done. In the vaults of this place.

Sure.

Epistemology

Did you buy them or steal them? Marketers need to know that info. The Da Vinci Code set off an entire industry aimed at your special type of ignorance and paranoia.

Sure.

Epistemology

I agree....:)Since our friend DudleySmith don't like to read, I will leave him with this. Not sure if he has an attention span of 8 minutes though.:D
]

It's always funny when illiterates post videos of some loon babbling, while projecting their lack of reading on others. lol

Two very different questions, or perhaps even three.

Can atheists enjoy the Bible?

I'd guess atheists can enjoy whatever book of fiction they like. They might even like Wilber Smith (though I doubt it)

Can atheists enjoy the bible?

Yes, they're allowed to enjoy it if they like.

Legally, yes, they're allowed to.

Two very different questions, or perhaps even three.

Can atheists enjoy the Bible?

I'd guess atheists can enjoy whatever book of fiction they like. They might even like Wilber Smith (though I doubt it)

Can atheists enjoy the bible?

Yes, they're allowed to enjoy it if they like.

Legally, yes, they're allowed to.

Really? Well those atheists who did appreciate it were all banned from infidels.org, so it's not like neo-atheists are tolerant or anything, but then they're are mostly just closet pagan materialists and not really atheist in the literal sense, otherwise they wouldn't be so fascinated with spamming Religion threads with whining and sniveling because they didn't get a pony when they were 10 while praying in sunday school.

It’s not that we hate the Bible, but it is just not well written.

Some of the fables in the Bible are pretty good, but much of it is borderline unreadable.

As to values, atheists have stronger values than the Bible. As an atheist, I never understood how the Bible could condone slavery. God should know better

While not an atheist I see no duty to hate the Bible.

Forum List

Back