Can atheist enjoy the Bible?

Are atheists allowed to enjoy the Bible?

• Yes

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Blah blah blah(other)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
Are atheist allowed to enjoy the Bible?

Can atheist dig deeper into one of the bigger influences of English/American development?

Can atheists study and/or practice the ethics taught by Christ in the gospels?

Can atheists gain inspiration from the colorful and powerful stories of the Bible?

or do atheists have an obligation to hate the Bible?

Sure.

I believe even for atheists, embedded deep in Western Culture, the influence of Aquinas is sort of on the nexus, bridging the gap of free inquiry from the religious to the secular.

Epistemology
See also: Double truth

Thomas Aquinas believed "that for the knowledge of any truth whatsoever man needs divine help, that the intellect may be moved by God to its act."[91] However, he believed that human beings have the natural capacity to know many things without special divine revelation, even though such revelation occurs from time to time, "especially in regard to such (truths) as pertain to faith."[92] But this is the light that is given to man by God according to man's nature: "Now every form bestowed on created things by God has power for a determined act[uality], which it can bring about in proportion to its own proper endowment; and beyond which it is powerless, except by a superadded form, as water can only heat when heated by the fire. And thus the human understanding has a form, viz. intelligible light, which of itself is sufficient for knowing certain intelligible things, viz. those we can come to know through the senses."[92]

Cardinal virtues are four virtues of mind and character in both classical philosophy and Christian theology. They are Prudence, Justice, Fortitude, Temperance. They form a virtue theory of ethics. The term cardinal comes from the Latin cardo (hinge);[1] virtues are so called because they are regarded as the basic virtues required for a virtuous life.

These principles derive initially from Plato in Republic Book IV, 426–435 (see also Protagoras 330b, which also includes piety (hosiotes)). They were also recognized by the Stoics. Cicero expanded on them, and Ambrose, Augustine of Hippo, and Thomas Aquinas[2] adapted them while expanding on the theological virtues.

I do like to watch the 10 Commandments, Ben Hur, The greatest story ever told, the Robe,

Sure.

I believe even for atheists, embedded deep in Western Culture, the influence of Aquinas is sort of on the nexus, bridging the gap of free inquiry from the religious to the secular.

Epistemology

Thomas Aquinas believed "that for the knowledge of any truth whatsoever man needs divine help, that the intellect may be moved by God to its act."[91] However, he believed that human beings have the natural capacity to know many things without special divine revelation, even though such revelation occurs from time to time, "especially in regard to such (truths) as pertain to faith."[92] But this is the light that is given to man by God according to man's nature: "Now every form bestowed on created things by God has power for a determined act[uality], which it can bring about in proportion to its own proper endowment; and beyond which it is powerless, except by a superadded form, as water can only heat when heated by the fire. And thus the human understanding has a form, viz. intelligible light, which of itself is sufficient for knowing certain intelligible things, viz. those we can come to know through the senses."[92]

Cardinal virtues are four virtues of mind and character in both classical philosophy and Christian theology. They are Prudence, Justice, Fortitude, Temperance. They form a virtue theory of ethics. The term cardinal comes from the Latin cardo (hinge);[1] virtues are so called because they are regarded as the basic virtues required for a virtuous life.

These principles derive initially from Plato in Republic Book IV, 426–435 (see also Protagoras 330b, which also includes piety (hosiotes)). They were also recognized by the Stoics. Cicero expanded on them, and Ambrose, Augustine of Hippo, and Thomas Aquinas[2] adapted them while expanding on the theological virtues.

The Bible says, “We shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.” That has a different meaning to me personally as an atheist than it did as a believer. Now that I have rejected Christianity, the Bible has come alive to me. It is an amazing work of literature, philosophy, psychology, sociology, business, law, order, poetry, and just human nature in general. It has such a richer meaning to me now that I am not obligated to believe it. I no longer view it as a big stick to use to beat myself over the head. It is something for me to love and enjoy. When I find something that makes no sense. So what! I’m just reading. I don’t have to get it. If I don’t understand, it won’t make me bad. If I don’t understand, I am not losing a blessing if. So freaking what if I don’t get it! Christians think I should hate the Bible just because they hate it. I respectfully disagree. The Bible is so much more useful to me as an atheist.

Sure they can enjoy the Bible by using it has kindling. It is a good fire starter. :D

Can atheist dig deeper into one of the bigger influences of English/American development?

Can atheists gain inspiration from the colorful and powerful stories of the Bible?

1618302618449.png

Sure.

Epistemology

The Bible says, “We shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.” That has a different meaning to me personally as an atheist than it did as a believer. Now that I have rejected Christianity, the Bible has come alive to me. It is an amazing work of literature, philosophy, psychology, sociology, business, law, order, poetry, and just human nature in general. It has such a richer meaning to me now that I am not obligated to believe it. I no longer view it as a big stick to use to beat myself over the head. It is something for me to love and enjoy. When I find something that makes no sense. So what! I’m just reading. I don’t have to get it. If I don’t understand, it won’t make me bad. If I don’t understand, I am not losing a blessing if. So freaking what if I don’t get it! Christians think I should hate the Bible just because they hate it. I respectfully disagree. The Bible is so much more useful to me as an atheist.

When it says God, change it to Anunnaki and it makes even more sense.

Those free from religion likely wrote some of the bible – the bible is as much about politics as religion.

Sure.

Epistemology

You‘re one of those lizard shape shifting types?

Sure.

Epistemology

No, just reading through the Sumerian stories which were written on tablets, you can see where some of the Bible stories came from. Yahweh and Enlil are pretty much interchangeable.

why does it matter?? the bible is just a silly fairly tale book

Fairy tales are analogies/allegories.

1. atheist is a ridiculous term since there is no god to believe in or not to believe
2. the OP is ridiculous...why does it matter? what's the point?

Sure.

Epistemology

Yes, he is; the world is just one great Conspiracy theory for the lad. At least it's easy to sell him any sort of nosnense and make some money, so don't depress the lad until he's been cleaned out.

Sure.

Epistemology

Yes, he is; the world is just one great Conspiracy theory for the lad. At least it's easy to sell him any sort of nosnense and make some money, so don't depress the lad until he's been cleaned out.

I take it you have never read the Allegory of the Cave by Plato? But then again, I doubt you have ever even read a book.

OF course; it's one of the great books in History and western civilization. The only people who hate it are commies and faggots, neither of whom are intellectuals, just insane sociopaths and deviant outliers with pathological criminal compulsions.

1. atheist is a ridiculous term since there is no god to believe in or not to believe
2. the OP is ridiculous...why does it matter? what's the point?

It occurred to me, if it could be proved without a shadow of a doubt, scientifically or otherwise, that there was no God, there would be no need to be an atheist.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
Sure.

Epistemology

I take it you have never read the Allegory of the Cave by Plato? But then again, I doubt you have ever even read a book.

Did you buy it or steal it?

Forum List

Back