The debate on climate change is now over. The verdict: Too late to do anything about it!

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
1659231218537.png

And this is just the beginning, insists McGuire, who is emeritus professor of geophysical and climate hazards at University College London. As he makes clear in his uncompromising depiction of the coming climatic catastrophe, we have – for far too long – ignored explicit warnings that rising carbon emissions are dangerously heating the Earth. Now we are going to pay the price for our complacence in the form of storms, floods, droughts and heatwaves that will easily surpass current extremes.

The crucial point, he argues, is that there is now no chance of us avoiding a perilous, all-pervasive climate breakdown. We have passed the point of no return and can expect a future in which lethal heatwaves and temperatures in excess of 50C (120F) are common in the tropics; where summers at temperate latitudes will invariably be baking hot, and where our oceans are destined to become warm and acidic. “A child born in 2020 will face a far more hostile world that its grandparents did,” McGuire insists.

I can almost hear that part in red being overly-dramatically read by a talking head with a thick Brit accent.

My take on this as an ignorant non-climate expert is that one hot summer is does not portend the end of the world. We've had hotter ones and the word didn't end. The nearby lake dropped considerably, but all the water came back.

But if it is now settled science that it is too late to do anything, we can all stop stressing out about it. Thank God. Let's just enjoy the little time we have left. I propose that reasonably young and attractive women break away from the norms of modest dress, since we need to stay cool.

Just be careful: If Al Gore, John Kerry, and Barack Obama sell their beachfront property, don't buy it! They will offer it at a bargain price, because it will be under water very soon. Warm and acidic water, to boot!

This important article states later:

And we should be in no doubt about the consequences. Anything above 1.5C will see a world plagued by intense summer heat, extreme drought, devastating floods, reduced crop yields, rapidly melting ice sheets and surging sea levels. A rise of 2C and above will seriously threaten the stability of global society, McGuire argues.

Since many more men than women will die off early, in a futile attempt to save the planet, will we have to abandon the traditional monogamous sexual relationship, at least as far as men are concerned?

Regretfully, yes.

It should also be noted that according to the most hopeful estimates of emission cut pledges made at Cop26, the world is on course to heat up by between 2.4C and 3C.

Doh! I bet now those 400 COP26 bigwigs wish they had not flown to the summit in private jets!

Been nice knowing y'all. Let's keep this forum going until the lights go out, huh?

Attachments

• 1659231179718.png
    1659231179718.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 28
Here is wisdom for those with a pair of eyes, and a three digit IQ, The exact opposite is occurring, indeed I can count on two hands all of the 90 + degree days we have had in NW Wisconsin since 2011, radically fewer such days compared with just 50 years ago, where my parents routinely saw 10-14 such days every summer, sometimes an entire month or more of such temps! They are fucking lying to your dumb asses, and you are believing the lies! :wink:

Last edited:
The thing that will destroy society and our ability to survive is this irrational fear. If we commit suicide, what good will that do anyone?

Yes, we know the climate changes, sometimes quickly and dramatically. It has happened in recorded history in just the past few thousand years. It will happen again.

From geological records, based on O2 levels sampled by core drillings (which is an indicator of temperature), we have known this to be true for close to a century.

Phanerozoic_Climate_Change.png

Don't panic! These changes in climate are natural cyclical changes, possibly caused by the output of the sun. You are not going to terraform the planet Earth just by changing CO2 or methane emissions. The thawing frozen tundra emits 100x more methane than ALL of the greenhouse gases emitted by human activity in all of history...and even that is a drop in the bucket compared to what small changes in the sun's output can produce.

Instead of shooting ourselves in the foot by destroying our economies, we should simply find ways to plan for these changes.

If anyone wants to go all ACTIVIST, go after the guy's clearcutting the brazillian rain forests...that is a much bigger problem than CO2 or the fact that its getting slightly warmer. Here in the North America, we have more forests and preserved land than we did 100 years ago.

Last edited:
View attachment 676469

And this is just the beginning, insists McGuire, who is emeritus professor of geophysical and climate hazards at University College London. As he makes clear in his uncompromising depiction of the coming climatic catastrophe, we have – for far too long – ignored explicit warnings that rising carbon emissions are dangerously heating the Earth. Now we are going to pay the price for our complacence in the form of storms, floods, droughts and heatwaves that will easily surpass current extremes.

The crucial point, he argues, is that there is now no chance of us avoiding a perilous, all-pervasive climate breakdown. We have passed the point of no return and can expect a future in which lethal heatwaves and temperatures in excess of 50C (120F) are common in the tropics; where summers at temperate latitudes will invariably be baking hot, and where our oceans are destined to become warm and acidic. “A child born in 2020 will face a far more hostile world that its grandparents did,” McGuire insists.

I can almost hear that part in red being overly-dramatically read by a talking head with a thick Brit accent.

My take on this as an ignorant non-climate expert is that one hot summer is does not portend the end of the world. We've had hotter ones and the word didn't end. The nearby lake dropped considerably, but all the water came back.

But if it is now settled science that it is too late to do anything, we can all stop stressing out about it. Thank God. Let's just enjoy the little time we have left. I propose that reasonably young and attractive women break away from the norms of modest dress, since we need to stay cool.

Just be careful: If Al Gore, John Kerry, and Barack Obama sell their beachfront property, don't buy it! They will offer it at a bargain price, because it will be under water very soon. Warm and acidic water, to boot!

And we should be in no doubt about the consequences. Anything above 1.5C will see a world plagued by intense summer heat, extreme drought, devastating floods, reduced crop yields, rapidly melting ice sheets and surging sea levels. A rise of 2C and above will seriously threaten the stability of global society, McGuire argues.

Since many more men than women will die off early, in a futile attempt to save the planet, will we have to abandon the traditional monogamous sexual relationship, at least as far as men are concerned?

Regretfully, yes.

It should also be noted that according to the most hopeful estimates of emission cut pledges made at Cop26, the world is on course to heat up by between 2.4C and 3C.

Doh! I bet now those 400 COP26 bigwigs wish they had not flown to the summit in private jets!

Been nice knowing y'all. Let's keep this forum going until the lights go out, huh?
No matter where we are in this process, cutting back GHG emissions will have some benefit. We have very likely reached a point in which severe effects can no longer be avoided but that DOES NOT MEAN we should do nothing.

No matter where we are in this process, cutting back GHG emissions will have some benefit. We have very likely reached a point in which severe effects can no longer be avoided but that DOES NOT MEAN we should do nothing.

You would take away electricity from the poorest of the poor? ... you hateful bastard ... what "severe effects" a hundred years from now justify taking food away from non-white little children ...

You burned coal to post this didn't you? ... hypocrite ...

1C? that's debatable... if we remove all the upward "adjustments" by NOAA its less that 0.3 deg C. Just say'in..
Just sayin' you're fullo'shit
Did NOAA adjust all these folk's data?
1659913784578.png

Just sayin' you're fullo'shit
Did NOAA adjust all these folk's data?
Your chart is too short. You think a couple hundred years is relevant to a global issue? HA! Your ego needs to be slapped in the face.
Phanerozoic_Climate_Change.png

1C? that's debatable... if we remove all the upward "adjustments" by NOAA its less that 0.3 deg C. Just say'in..

I use 1ºC because that's the lower limit of our instruments ... and I'm advocating a splendid and peaceful future for our Earth because of warming ... so burn tires ...

View attachment 676469

Regretfully, yes.

Well! That’s a relief.

Carboniferous Era. Atmospheric CO2 content around 7000 parts per million. Currently we're at a bit more than 400PPM.

Guess what didn't happen in the Carboniferous Era? CO2 didn't cause a runaway positive feedback loop that resulted in the planet burning to a crisp, killing all life. In fact, in that period, the greatest expansion of life this planet has ever seen happened. CO2 must not be all that bad!

And we should be in no doubt about the consequences. Anything above 1.5C will see a world plagued by intense summer heat, extreme drought, devastating floods, reduced crop yields, rapidly melting ice sheets and surging sea levels.
Aren't we already seeing most of this. :omg:

Aren't we already seeing most of this. :omg:

Yup. It may even be a harbinger of climate change. It's hard to say on single year events or just a small sample of the entire dataset, but right now the weather is pretty messed up in many, many places with records being broken everywhere.

It's kind of shaping up into exactly what we were warned it would be. Where I live we now are treated to so many wildfires that it is not uncommon for our skies to turn yellow or orange because of all the wildfires burning around us.

Forum List

Back