Is There One Sound/valid Syllogistic Argument For The Existence Of God?

The problem is that both sides of this issue are attempting to demonstrate their position with logic alone. Logic is like a hammer without nails or wood, a good tool but useless under the conditions. The statement "Humans have large, fluffy ears. I am a human. Therefore I have large, fluffy ears" is perfect logic but it only takes a glance in the mirror to demonstrate the maxim "Garbage in. Garbage out." In this particular discussion you can change that to "Nothing in. Nothing out."

We are operating in a total informational vacuum. There is no evidence to support either side. All we have is belief and assumption. You apply your unsupported assumptions to logic to demonstrate your point, they apply their unsupported assumptions to demonstrate theirs. What you end up with is lots of words and not a single supported conclusion.

You're saying there's no evidence of God's existence?

Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. There is only belief, conjecture and unsupported assumption. I would love for someone to prove me wrong, but so far no one has.

Oh, you've been proven wrong, alright. You just haven't gotten beyond the slogans of brain freeze and properly beheld the obvious. The existence of the universe and sentience is the evidence, and the inherent, readily self-evident implications of the rational forms and logical categories of human consciousness which compel the theist conclusion are not the stuff mere conjecture, let alone the stuff of unsupported assumptions. Indeed, calling the evidence and the impressions of first principles unsupported assumptions is ridiculous. You're unwitting imposition of materialism on the facts of existence on which theism is predicated is obscuring the actuality of the issue.

Notwithstanding, I have no power to convince anyone that God exists. My only interest here is setting the record straight as to what theism is actually based on. It's not based on the ethereal mumbo jumbo alleged by those who are simply not cognizant of the pertinent facts of existence.

You are arguing that the existence of the universe is evidence of the existence of God. You fail to connect the two things together, just insist that I accept it on faith. This is not evidence, just belief.

The problem is that both sides of this issue are attempting to demonstrate their position with logic alone. Logic is like a hammer without nails or wood, a good tool but useless under the conditions. The statement "Humans have large, fluffy ears. I am a human. Therefore I have large, fluffy ears" is perfect logic but it only takes a glance in the mirror to demonstrate the maxim "Garbage in. Garbage out." In this particular discussion you can change that to "Nothing in. Nothing out."

We are operating in a total informational vacuum. There is no evidence to support either side. All we have is belief and assumption. You apply your unsupported assumptions to logic to demonstrate your point, they apply their unsupported assumptions to demonstrate theirs. What you end up with is lots of words and not a single supported conclusion.

Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. There is only belief, conjecture and unsupported assumption. I would love for someone to prove me wrong, but so far no one has.

Oh, you've been proven wrong, alright. You just haven't gotten beyond the slogans of brain freeze and properly beheld the obvious. The existence of the universe and sentience is the evidence, and the inherent, readily self-evident implications of the rational forms and logical categories of human consciousness which compel the theist conclusion are not the stuff mere conjecture, let alone the stuff of unsupported assumptions. Indeed, calling the evidence and the impressions of first principles unsupported assumptions is ridiculous. You're unwitting imposition of materialism on the facts of existence on which theism is predicated is obscuring the actuality of the issue.

Notwithstanding, I have no power to convince anyone that God exists. My only interest here is setting the record straight as to what theism is actually based on. It's not based on the ethereal mumbo jumbo alleged by those who are simply not cognizant of the pertinent facts of existence.

You are arguing that the existence of the universe is evidence of the existence of God. You fail to connect the two things together, just insist that I accept it on faith. This is not evidence, just belief.
IMHO, the connection involves going back to the beginning of time.

That I am a Christian that believes in evolution rather than a 6 day creation is another subject.

My current conception regarding the universe is that prior to the big bang, all matter and energy that exists today was confined to a relatively miniscule volume...likely spherical. Outside of that collection of all matter and energy must have existed a supernatural being that caused the big bang which created the space-time continuum. That something was God...the giver of life and all that is around us.

Ridiculously simplistic, but a start. Shoot me down with your version. What caused the big bang?

That I am a Christian that believes in evolution rather than a 6 day creation is another subject.

My current conception regarding the universe is that prior to the big bang, all matter and energy that exists today was confined to a relatively miniscule volume...likely spherical. Outside of that collection of all matter and energy must have existed a supernatural being that caused the big bang which created the space-time continuum. That something was God...the giver of life and all that is around us.

Ridiculously simplistic, but a start. Shoot me down with your version. What caused the big bang?

I have no idea what caused it. I have no information upon which to base a conclusion. However, my ignorance is not a demonstration of your knowledge. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and your beliefs. But that does not make them anything more than belief.

Presumably you're referring to the 1 Planck time singularity that existed just before the inflationary period, but before matter, energy, space and time, the quantum field existed from which the singularity emerged as a result of a vacuum fluctuation in energy.

I have no idea what caused it. I have no information upon which to base a conclusion. However, my ignorance is not a demonstration of your knowledge. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and your beliefs. But that does not make them anything more than belief.
Quite so. As I stated, my "theory" is just my opinion. I think that there had to be something outside of the collapsed universe that set off the big bang and caused the infinite energy to expand, cool, form molecules of the elements (hydrogen first) and develop into clusters that developed into masses with gravitational forces that interacted with each other and developed into what we now see thru the Hubbell telescope.

All I'm saying is that there was an outside cause to the expansion of the universe from a condensed starting point.

Again, this is conjecture on my part....not to be taken as positing that you are wrong if you don't agree.

God existed before time started. God set off the big bang.

The Cosmological argument fails.
The kalam fails.
The ontological argument fails.
The modal ontological argument only proves the possibility of god, by virtue of modal logic and axiom S5.
The teleological argument fails.
The transcendental argument fails.
More likely you fail to understand these arguments.

Some arguments for the existence Of God:
Teleological arguments
  • What is the fine-tuning of the universe and how does it serve as a pointer to God BioLogos
  • Why is the universe so beautiful? If you don't believe in Design you think the universe is a random mess, and how can a random mess be beautiful?
  • Why can the physical world be described by elegant equations? Here's John Polkinghorne: "We are so familiar with the fact that we can understand the world that most of the time we take it for granted. It is what makes science possible. Yet it could have been otherwise. The universe might have been a disorderly chaos rather than an orderly cosmos."
Cosmological argument

Other
Why should we discard the testimony of billions who pray and think they have encountered God?

Last edited:
There is not a flaw in the use logic, reason, and evidence. This is how all claims are examined, and your wish to be exempt because of the nature of your claim, is simply special pleading.

Claim: I still love me ex-girlfriend.

What evidence can I provide? I married a different woman, I had kids with a different woman, I love my wife, I have no pictures of my ex. I never send her gifts or letters or phone her. My love lives only in my heart and my memory.

So how do we proceed? What evidence is needed, what logic is required to evaluate the claim? How do you, an outsider, evaluate what is in my heart and what I know to be true?

This ex-girlfriend of yours, did you ever meet her in person, have physical contact, or did you just read about her in a book?

I am agnostic because although I cannot perceive the possibility of a God, I can also not fathom the workings of the universe as being a random series of blips and explosions. If nothing else, carbon and all other elements exist, they are real. If you can't tell me from whence they sprang, you cannot possibly proclaim a higher power does not exist.

The most intelligent response on the thread. The response of one who has no empirical experience with such higher power but who, like Einstein, could see with his own eyes wonderful things for which science has no explanation or answer for at this time. Thus an open mind leaving the door open for all possibilities.

For me, and millions, even billions, like me, the existence of God is a reality because of experience with God. It does require faith to believe that what I/we have experienced was indeed God of course.

Without empirical experience, without doing the work, research, testing, etc. ourselves, everything we believe about anything whether science or history or flying spaghetti monsters is faith based. It is based on faith that what we read, hear, are taught, or sometimes even what we witness is the real deal.

I am agnostic because although I cannot perceive the possibility of a God, I can also not fathom the workings of the universe as being a random series of blips and explosions. If nothing else, carbon and all other elements exist, they are real. If you can't tell me from whence they sprang, you cannot possibly proclaim a higher power does not exist.

The most intelligent response on the thread. The response of one who has no empirical experience with such higher power but who, like Einstein, could see with his own eyes wonderful things for which science has no explanation or answer for at this time. Thus an open mind leaving the door open for all possibilities.

For me, and millions, even billions, like me, the existence of God is a reality because of experience with God. It does require faith to believe that what I/we have experienced was indeed God of course.

Without empirical experience, without doing the work, research, testing, etc. ourselves, everything we believe about anything whether science or history or flying spaghetti monsters is faith based. It is based on faith that what we read, hear, are taught, or sometimes even what we witness is the real deal.

I agree. In the absence of evidence you might as well go with what feels right to you. That is a perfectly reasonable approach.

I failed to do no such thing. The existence of the universe is the evidence of God's existence as understood by the implications of first principles objectively and universally apparent to all. Period. Mindless rocks don't reason. The phenomena of existence don't interpret themselves. Sentience reasons, interprets, deciphers processes, confers meaning. We wouldn't be talking about the ultimate origin of the universe if the universe didn't . . . you know . . . exist. LOL!

Of course it's a belief about the ultimate origin of the universe's existence. So? The evidence and the pertinent logic is not subject to the whims of your unwitting imposition of a scientifically unfalsifiable apriority on the fact that the ultimate origin of the universe's existence is either some configuration of inanimateness or sentience. The latter belief is predicated on solid evidence and reason, and not only that, the latter has the better argument.

I agree. In the absence of evidence you might as well go with what feels right to you. That is a perfectly reasonable approach.

Thanks for both of these responses. The older I get, the more questions I have, and the more I wonder if my inability to have faith is something lacking in my own mind. I know many people with real and deep faith, and I envy them. Perhaps by the time I am ready to cross over, I will have clarity.

Thanks for both of these responses. The older I get, the more questions I have, and the more I wonder if my inability to have faith is something lacking in my own mind. I know many people with real and deep faith, and I envy them. Perhaps by the time I am ready to cross over, I will have clarity.

:) I am a firm believer that each of us is our own denomination because we are individual people and how we think, perceive, feel, experience, process our existence will have some commonality with others but is a totally unique existence just the same.

You are already 90% there by keeping the door open. I really believe that if you invite God to make himself known and put no emotional or intellectual or time restrictions on what that would be like or look like or feel like, you will have your clarity.

Sometimes it is indeed that gut feeling that you have hit on a point of truth. But just as often it is accepted as logical or reasonable simply because there is no reason to question the motive of the one providing the information as being anything other than honest and honorable. But one cannot be a student of history or the Bible or scientific theory and read all the differing opinions and/or accounts and/or speculations and realistically believe that all are correct.

How does one believe in the big bang theory? None of us were there. Probably none of us have ever done the scientific research or observations or calculations that have made that the most popular theory for how the universe came to be the way it is. So most of us, having nothing else to base an opinion on, go with the most popular theory as presented in text books or scientific journals or via lectures or whatever. Reason and logic tells us that all those people are probably basing their conclusions on sound scientific principle and therefore we CHOOSE to accept those conclusions.

But we do so strictly on faith.

But with all due respect, Foxfyre, the issue in this OP is not the personal experiences of fellowship with divinity, but the charge that the following arguments relative to the facts of existence and the imperatives of the rational forms and logical categories of human consciousness are not cogent:

The kalam fails.
The modal ontological argument only proves the possibility of god, by virtue of modal logic and axiom S5.
The transcendental argument fails. —newpolitics​

That charge, as I, and now Thunderbird, have averred, is false, bottomed on the new atheism's logical fallacies and misapprehensions of things.

But with all due respect, Foxfyre, the issue in this OP is not the personal experiences of fellowship with divinity, but the charge that the following arguments relative to the facts of existence and the imperatives of the rational forms and logical categories of human consciousness are not cogent:

The kalam fails.
The transcendental argument fails. —newpolitics​

That charge, as I, and now Thunderbird, have averred, is false, bottomed on the new atheism's logical fallacies and misapprehensions of things.

I spent four intense years, among other things, studying all those arguments my friend. I read with interest the scholarly agreement with them and the disagreement with them. All that commentary I judged to be presented via honorable and learned people who possessed no ulterior motives in presenting it. The student is left to choose the argument that makes the most sense to the student.

So can syllogism be used to make an argument for the existence of God? Yes and no.

I did my damndest for most of two decades to explain away everything I had ever heard or been taught about religion. I studied all the great religions and found that every single one of them contains kernels of truth and every one of them comes up lacking when it comes to answering the great cosmic questions that we probably aren't intended to know.

I stripped away every component of Christian beliefs/teaching that did not absolutely have to be there and arrived at the bare bones of what, for me, is truth:

1. God is
2. God loves me
3. We are not intended to fully understand it at least for now.
And that is based on empirical evidence.

Title is pretty self-explanatory. Go.

The kalam fails.

ARE THERE ANY? For the past three thousand years, the smartest minds have been unable to provide a single syllogism that conclusively demonstrates god's existence.

Yet, all of these supremely arrogant theists run their mouth against atheism, as if they have an epistemological leg to stand on, when they don't.

Any day now! We are waiting for your argument, and until then, atheism is justified.

Are you aware that you cannot provide a syllogistic argument that absolutely proves that the universe exists? Yet, despite the obvious flaws in logic, you think that the mere fact that you can ignore it somehow proves something you want to believe.

I spent four intense years, among other things, studying all those arguments my friend. I read with interest the scholarly agreement with them and the disagreement with them. All that commentary I judged to be presented via honorable and learned people who possessed no ulterior motives in presenting it. The student is left to choose the argument that makes the most sense to the student.

So can syllogism be used to make an argument for the existence of God? Yes and no.

I did my damndest for most of two decades to explain away everything I had ever heard or been taught about religion. I studied all the great religions and found that every single one of them contains kernels of truth and every one of them comes up lacking when it comes to answering the great cosmic questions that we probably aren't intended to know.

I stripped away every component of Christian beliefs/teaching that did not absolutely have to be there and arrived at the bare bones of what, for me, is truth:

1. God is
2. God loves me
3. We are not intended to fully understand it at least for now.
And that is based on empirical evidence.

I understand you. Nevertheless, the classical arguments for God’s existence are not about religion or faith as such. They're about the "science" of logic and the universal first principles of ontology that God imparted to mankind, the Imago Dei, by which we may all know that God is and that mankind is morally accountable to Him. These arguments have been variously asserted by the likes of Moses, Isaiah, Daniel, David, Christ and the Apostle Paul in scripture, and they go to the concerns of evangelistic apologetics. While they have been asserted by others, including the pagan, natural philosopher Aristotle, they are not extra-biblical.

Title is pretty self-explanatory. Go.

The kalam fails.

ARE THERE ANY? For the past three thousand years, the smartest minds have been unable to provide a single syllogism that conclusively demonstrates god's existence.

Yet, all of these supremely arrogant theists run their mouth against atheism, as if they have an epistemological leg to stand on, when they don't.

Any day now! We are waiting for your argument, and until then, atheism is justified.

Are you aware that you cannot provide a syllogistic argument that absolutely proves that the universe exists? Yet, despite the obvious flaws in logic, you think that the mere fact that you can ignore it somehow proves something you want to believe.

Correct. He doesn't grasp the difference between the logical proofs of justification and the cognitive limits of human justification.

Quite so. As I stated, my "theory" is just my opinion. I think that there had to be something outside of the collapsed universe that set off the big bang and caused the infinite energy to expand, cool, form molecules of the elements (hydrogen first) and develop into clusters that developed into masses with gravitational forces that interacted with each other and developed into what we now see thru the Hubbell telescope.

All I'm saying is that there was an outside cause to the expansion of the universe from a condensed starting point.

Again, this is conjecture on my part....not to be taken as positing that you are wrong if you don't agree.

God existed before time started. God set off the big bang.

Agree!

Forum List

Back