Difference between Christian and Aryan morality.

Jesus is the truth, the way and the path to God to afterlife. Of course Christians value truth. You know nothing. And if you dont believe in a afterlife, you believe in vanity of our short life, because if there is no afterlife our life here means nothing and eternal justice, look Christians believe in the eternal justice and that evil will be eternally defeated and killed.
Nice to see Mort talking about deeper things than himself

Our final conclusion can only be that the ideas about merits and virtues and their results have enormously changed and developed in the course of Vedic literature. Reaching heaven by merits is only found in the last stages on the ṚV Saṁhitā. Merits and reaching a continuation of life in heaven lost their relevance, when at the end of the classical Vedic period the theories of karman (producing only a temporary life in heaven and a rebirth on earth depending on the quality of one’s karman) and of mokṣa (having the release from this rebirth as its highest aim) came into existence. The merits of sacrifices and liberality gradually were replaced by asceticism and knowledge about one’s identity, but attempts to combine the rather divergent approaches were found in all kinds of Vedic texts.66
I would not like to discuss the post-Vedic culture of India in this thread, it always causes confusion
We are talking here about Aryan morality, therefore, only the classical Vedas can be considered, and then with the proviso that the 10th mandala not reflects the Vedic culture adequately and is a late insertion.

Last edited:
Vedic period the theories of karman (producing only a temporary life in heaven and a rebirth on earth depending on the quality of one’s karman)
As far as I understand, in the Vedic language this word meant just an act, there is no concept and no use in the sense of "retribution" there. Maybe it made the sense of a great deed, but nothing more

For example
anu ǀ tvā ǀ mahī iti ǀ pājasī iti ǀ acakre iti ǀ dyāvākṣāmā ǀ madatām ǀ indra ǀ karman ǀ
tvam ǀ vṛtram ǀ ā-śayānam ǀ sirāsu ǀ mahaḥ ǀ vajreṇa ǀ sisvapaḥ ǀ varāhum ǁ

Let [7] two great [3] powers [4] having no wheels <i.e. moving by itself> [5], Heaven and Earth [6], intoxicate [7] thee [2], O Indra [8], in {that} deed [9]; thou [10], the great [14], hast cast to sleep <i.e. killed> [16] by thunderbolt [15] Vritra [11], the boar [17], surrounding [12] in streams [13]

Most likely, approximately the same will be true for all the concepts cited by you, all these words have undergone significant semantic changes by the time of Brahmanism.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back