90 Minutes in Heaven... wasn't--questioning my Catholic beliefs?

rightnow909

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2021
I read the book 90 Minutes in Heaven...

Even as a Catholic reading about a Protestant, I liked this book.. felt great empathy for this guy who got into a car wreck and was considered (by medical people) to be dead as a doornail... then came back after people prayed for him... lived in hell for a long time bc of all the med procedures (great pain) he had to endure... should NOT have lived but miraculously did.

But here's the deal

When i first started reading this book, I began to question my Catholic belief, specifically the one RE Purgatory. Catholics have been told for centuries by their Church that very rarely does a person, no matter how saintly go to Heaven as soon as he or she dies. And I have believed that, not only bc of Church teaching but because of experiences in life... seeing massive and egregious EVIL everywhere...

so I thought: He went straight to Heaven? and he's not even Catholic? What the.....?!

But then I got some answers

The dude was NOT in Heaven... the book sshould not be called that..

he says himself that when he came to this great, anxiety-less place... he was going toward a big gate beyond which was a great light... and that he did NOT see Jesus, just a loto f people who had died b4 him... Before he could get to the gate, however, he was sent back to Earth

so the guy was NOT judged... never even spoke to Jesus...

so... Catholic beliefs have not suffered in the l east...

I read the book 90 Minutes in Heaven...

Even as a Catholic reading about a Protestant, I liked this book.. felt great empathy for this guy who got into a car wreck and was considered (by medical people) to be dead as a doornail... then came back after people prayed for him... lived in hell for a long time bc of all the med procedures (great pain) he had to endure... should NOT have lived but miraculously did.

But here's the deal

When i first started reading this book, I began to question my Catholic belief, specifically the one RE Purgatory. Catholics have been told for centuries by their Church that very rarely does a person, no matter how saintly go to Heaven as soon as he or she dies. And I have believed that, not only bc of Church teaching but because of experiences in life... seeing massive and egregious EVIL everywhere...

so I thought: He went straight to Heaven? and he's not even Catholic? What the.....?!

But then I got some answers

The dude was NOT in Heaven... the book sshould not be called that..

he says himself that when he came to this great, anxiety-less place... he was going toward a big gate beyond which was a great light... and that he did NOT see Jesus, just a loto f people who had died b4 him... Before he could get to the gate, however, he was sent back to Earth

so the guy was NOT judged... never even spoke to Jesus...

so... Catholic beliefs have not suffered in the l east...
The book is a good proof of what is actually happening: You will get what you believe in. The gate, the gold-plated roads ect, that is what many believe is heaven. That will vary according to your expectations. But that is a temporary, unreal place. Piper will eventually be Piper in his next existence. Not automatically, but very likely.
Another interesting read is:
Amazon

It appears non Catholics have no answer

speechless?

doesn't surprise me

The book is a good proof of what is actually happening: You will get what you believe in. The gate, the gold-plated roads ect, that is what many believe is heaven. That will vary according to your expectations. But that is a temporary, unreal place. Piper will eventually be Piper in his next existence. Not automatically, but very likely.
Another interesting read is:
Amazon
huh?

don't get highlighted...

That means you will stay in your temporary place until the "end of time", whereas your time may vary. Then the next "round" starts. Comprende?
Catholics teach u are judged as soon as u die... sent to Purgatory, Hell or Heaven... Purgatory ends in Heaven

Protestants say they follow the words of Christ. Catholics say they follow the words of the Church. Is there a difference?
the Words of the Church are the Words of God Himself...

the Mass is Heaven on Earth

see scott hahn The Lamb's Supper

Religions are man-made.
says you?

I'm intelligent enough and educated enough on Church history/teachings that...

well, if I weren't so educated, then maybe no one should listen to me...

then again people WILL listen to the most godawful bs.... so there's that

says you?

I'm intelligent enough and educated enough on Church history/teachings that...

well, if I weren't so educated, then maybe no one should listen to me...

then again people WILL listen to the most godawful bs.... so there's that
It´s true. Did Christ founded Christianity? No, he didn´t. He was a Jew. His own mission was to get rid of the Romans. He didn´t set up any rules.
Maybe no one should listen to you or to anyone who disagrees with you. Because all that religion stuff is totally untrue. I guess, after death, we will be fine as long as we didn´t act like monsters. And if I am a monster, so be it. I won´t accept judgement from somebody who created that monsters. Screw him. Put a stick of dynamite in his fat fucking ass up there and blow him up. I´ll take over. Bleipriester, over.

It appears non Catholics have no answer

speechless?

doesn't surprise me
Huh? I'm LDS and I have plenty of answers. We go to a place known as spirit prison to await our judgment and resurrection. There are two areas in spirit prison. One is Paradise where the good people of the world go to. The other is hell. There, they hear the Gospel preached to them again or for the first time and get to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior or reject it. Jesus was the first to go there but set up a missionary organization to go there from Paradise 1Peter3:18-21. It's in Paradise where some see the Lord and get to talk with Him.
After the judgment and resurrection, Paul taught there are 3 degrees or mansions in Heaven in 1st Corinthians chapter 15. Celestial, Terrestrial and we call the glory of the stars, Telestial. Based on our testimony of Jesus Christ, our faith in Him, how we behaved on earth and by the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we will receive salvation in the two lower kingdoms. Those who were valiant in their Testimonies of Jesus Christ and kept the commandments and laws of God will be received in the Celestial Kingdom with Celestial bodies for Exaltation in Eternal Life. They will receive all that our Father in Heaven has, sealed as families forever, ruling their own universe. Only a few who deny the Holy Ghost will end up in Perdition where Satan will rule them.

Let's review Catholicism: You die, go to purgatory, work out your miserable life with yourself. Go somewhere, sit on clouds and strum harps for the rest of eternity. Actually, what do Catholics believe goes on after the resurrection?

Same thing as before. We are servants of God and His will.
And, as servants of God, what do we do to serve him? Sing, play harps, float on clouds for God...? What are we going to be doing forever? What do Catholics know? Apparently nothing...LDS certainly know that we won't be bored forever.

And, as servants of God, what do we do to serve him? Sing, play harps, float on clouds for God...? What are we going to be doing forever? What do Catholics know? Apparently nothing...LDS certainly know that we won't be bored forever.
Q. Why are we here on earth?
A. To learn and to have fun.

Catholics know and accept that we do not know the mind of God. We know God is love; we know He values free choice; we know God is good.

Before we were born, did we know what this world had in store for us? Even so, did we thrive? Did we learn? Did we have fun? In the same way, we do not know what the afterlife has in store for us other than we will be with God. We expect to thrive, to learn, and to have fun.

In Catholicism, the idea of being bored doesn't even exist. Apparently it is a worry or concern the LDS faith felt/feels the need to address? They shouldn't worry.

Forum List

Back