90 Minutes in Heaven... wasn't--questioning my Catholic beliefs?

I am 75 years old and have been drinking in moderation all my adult life. Never been arrested for driving drunk or arrested for being intoxicated. I have only been drunk a few times years ago. I didn’t enjoy the experience.

Most people drink for effect. I drink because I enjoy the taste. For a period of time I made my own beer. I have also made wine in the past. Obviously I don’t consider making beer or wine sinful either. My grandfather also made his own beer. He was Pennsylvania Dutch.

I don’t see drinking in moderation as sinful in any way. I am well aware of the dangers of drinking as my son in law was an alcoholic and recently died. He had an addictive personality and I don’t. He was also addicted to pain killers.

You believe drinking is sinful, so for you it is. That’s is why I wouldn’t drink in front of you. Nor am I trying to convince you that you can drink.

If I have had more than one beer I do not drive for a couple of hours. If I am at a restaurant I might have a beer with my meal. ( I love a Guinness Stout with a meal).

View attachment 641505

If I am visiting someone I might have one beer and no more unless I am staying overnight.

As I said above I am not trying to change your viewpoint. There are a number of topics Christians disagree on. Is it sinful to drink wine in moderation is just one.

That list of 50 is silly for the most part. There is doctrine, commandments and the Law of Christ. Then, there are administrative rules and methods. Most that are on the list are administrative differences. Not doctrine.

You are 100% correct about purgatory. And it is ALL OVER Scripture, especially in the New Testament. I could cite 25 passages that directly or indirectly refer to purgatory. But my experience with most Protestants is they are virtually intransigent on the subject. They dismiss the passages out of hand, or they provide their own passages --- “to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, etc. --- and refuse to even try to offer an explanation of the passages I cite. Anyone who thinks they can ask Jesus to forgive them of their sins and accept Christ as their Lord and Savior (sincerely) -- such as at an altar call -- and then believe they are guaranteed heaven the moment they die no matter what sins enters their lives after that “moment of conversion” ---- well, that’s not only preposterous, it flies in the face of a hundred verses in Scripture.
not to mention it is just SO illogical!

and frankly, I think one of the sins Protestants do more than others is .. basically abuse Catholics, verbally.. I know that sounds out there, but I have had some seroiusly bad conversations w/ them... and as u say, they dismiss what we say, all the while claiming they believe the Bible but... no, they do not... not when a Catholic quotes it

That list of 50 is silly for the most part. There is doctrine, commandments and the Law of Christ. Then, there are administrative rules and methods. Most that are on the list are administrative differences. Not doctrine.
I will agree with that comment. However many people take such differences seriously.

I have ran into people who have told me that the only version of the Christian religion that will get you to heaven is the denomination they belong to.

I will agree with that comment. However many people take such differences seriously.

I have ran into people who have told me that the only version of the Christian religion that will get you to heaven is the denomination they belong to.

I actually believe most of the people who have and will inhabit the earth will make it into heaven. However, there are many mansions or glories in which we will be assigned to as part of our judgment do to how valiant our testimony of Jesus Christ is. Or, some of the bad behaviors and actions people involve themselves in like murder, homosexual behaviors, stealing, abortion and so on... Of course, those who have committed wicked sins can repent and be forgiven if done properly and have those sins washed away. First Corinthians chapter 15 has three mansions or glories of resurrections of heaven we may obtain. All are greater than what we have on earth today. Celestial, Terrestrial and Telestial Glories. There is one other place that has no glory. That is Perdition where Satan, his devils and those who deny the Holy Ghost will be forever. No glory...

I'm not going to go through all 15. I'll just comment on this one because essentially all mainstream Christian Churches believe the same thing as Catholics on this: "Roman Catholic: "Thus, in the words of the Athanasian Creed: 'the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and yet there are not three Gods but one God.' In this Trinity of Persons the Son is begotten of the Father by an eternal generation, and the Holy Spirit proceeds by an eternal procession from the Father and the Son. Yet, notwithstanding this difference as to origin, the Persons are co-eternal and co-equal: all alike are uncreated and omnipotent." (Dogma of the Trinity)"

This is the reason why many churches became so rich and powerful in the political and economical world. There's a phrase that I like to use with the life insurance industry companies that sell cash value policies like whole life and universal life. "Confusion creates profit for the life insurance industry." The policies are written by lawyers to convolute many concepts and the only ones that win are the companies and their agents. The consumer is left with too little insurance and too little cash at retirement. Well, these statements of faith about the make up of God is complete confusion, mystic and poppycock. There are 3 personages but only 1 personage. Or, there is only 1 personage and 3 temporary personages that really don't exist but do exist. That's the essence of these. Too bad this article left out The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Because this church simplifies this by stating there is a Godhead with 3 distinct and separate personages with one purpose, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of mankind. No magic need. Don't have to think our Father is a mystic blob of nothingness that is so large he fills the universe and yet so small he can dwell in our hearts. Which makes no sense whatsoever. You believe that Mary conceived in the womb a Son, Jesus. Yet, the very idea of conception is the woman's egg being fertilized with a sperm. Jesus was definitely a human being as he bled and felt pain and died. Therefore, the sperm had to be that of a man. A glorified man known to us as the Father in Heaven. No other way is possible and to suggest it is ridiculous. No magic because the Godhead doesn't try to trick us with magic tricks. That would be deception in which only Lucifer (Satan) does. Any thoughts?

It´s true. Did Christ founded Christianity? No, he didn´t. He was a Jew. His own mission was to get rid of the Romans. He didn´t set up any rules.
Maybe no one should listen to you or to anyone who disagrees with you. Because all that religion stuff is totally untrue. I guess, after death, we will be fine as long as we didn´t act like monsters. And if I am a monster, so be it. I won´t accept judgement from somebody who created that monsters. Screw him. Put a stick of dynamite in his fat fucking ass up there and blow him up. I´ll take over. Bleipriester, over.
You don't know that much about Christianity.

Forum List

Back