USMB Coffee Shop IV

My big accomplishment yesterday: whole wheat bread

View attachment 459559
I wish I could do that, no bread I've ever tried has worked out. Mine wouldn't be whole wheat though, never developed a taste for it. Oat bread is the bread I typically buy followed by multigrain then rye.

The Tassajara Bread book is a great tool for breadmaking. I just do their basic bread with 100% whole wheat. It's really easy! You can use the same method for other types of flours as well.

Your whole wheat loves posted upthread make me hungry just looking at them.

I used to make my own bread when I was working from home, but the arthritis is now in my fingers and I cant do the hand mixing or kneading I used to do. I'm picking up a stand mixer next week, so I can make some bread before my yeast passes it's best before date.

I use my kitchenaid mixmaster and doughhook to do the kneading. It works really well! During the grocery shortages last year, we stocked up on flour and yeast, among other things. Now I am on a baking binge to use it all up. I hope your bread is delicious!

Just got back from the VA, two appointments that turned into four.......... Started out with an aortic ultrasound appointment at 9 am where I was not allowed ANYTHING to eat or drink for four hours prior to the appointment. After that I did get a cup of coffee before my 10:20 Urology appointment where I peed into a "computerized" toilet that measured flow, amount, etc. The Urologist was anything but happy with the results so down to the lab for bloodwork to check kidney function then back to ultrasound to scan my kidneys where I had to gulp down 40 ounces of water and wait a half hour before they could do the scan.
Hopefully the scan comes back without issues.
Haven't heard back about the aortic scan but the Urologist called me yesterday. The kidneys look normal sized which is good, no swelling, my labs while not in the critical range are getting worse. Like he said yesterday, "you have the doctor's attention, you don't want the doctor's attention......" CT scan of the entire pelvic region is next, so waiting on those people to contact me to make an appointment. He thinks my problem might be more complicated than just a simple enlarged prostate, we'll see.

View attachment 459559
I wish I could do that, no bread I've ever tried has worked out. Mine wouldn't be whole wheat though, never developed a taste for it. Oat bread is the bread I typically buy followed by multigrain then rye.

The Tassajara Bread book is a great tool for breadmaking. I just do their basic bread with 100% whole wheat. It's really easy! You can use the same method for other types of flours as well.

I used to make my own bread when I was working from home, but the arthritis is now in my fingers and I cant do the hand mixing or kneading I used to do. I'm picking up a stand mixer next week, so I can make some bread before my yeast passes it's best before date.

I use my kitchenaid mixmaster and doughhook to do the kneading. It works really well! During the grocery shortages last year, we stocked up on flour and yeast, among other things. Now I am on a baking binge to use it all up. I hope your bread is delicious!

Both of my daughters have KitchenAids and one bakes all her own bread. She has her own proofer. She also gives away sourdough starter. Her loaves always look like yours.

I’m going through my annual bout of cold weather cabin fever. It involves a lot of cooking and baking.

I hate going out in the cold and this cabin fever is entirely self inflicted. But when the roads and streets get icy and slippery, I can’t ride my bike, I don’t like getting cold so I stay inside, keep warm and curse the winter. Lock out is lifted, but here I sit, looking for a local restaurant whose delivery guy showed up to work today.

Last week, I got a fresh food delivery from a local farm (greenhouse growers), but this week I’m out of stuff I can’t get from the farmer’s gate. At least it’s not bitterly cold today.

I’m rethinking my decision not to take that free car with the new tires and brakes, my daughter offered me when she bought a new one.

Time to face the inevitable: long underwear, natural fibre layers to protect my core, hood long coat, warm boots, hat, gloves and backpack for the groceries.

I used to LIKE winter when I was younger.

View attachment 459559

Both of my daughters have KitchenAids and one bakes all her own bread. She has her own proofer. She also gives away sourdough starter. Her loaves always look like yours.

I’m going through my annual bout of cold weather cabin fever. It involves a lot of cooking and baking.

I hate going out in the cold and this cabin fever is entirely self inflicted. But when the roads and streets get icy and slippery, I can’t ride my bike, I don’t like getting cold so I stay inside, keep warm and curse the winter. Lock out is lifted, but here I sit, looking for a local restaurant whose delivery guy showed up to work today.

Last week, I got a fresh food delivery from a local farm (greenhouse growers), but this week I’m out of stuff I can’t get from the farmer’s gate. At least it’s not bitterly cold today.

I’m rethinking my decision not to take that free car with the new tires and brakes, my daughter offered me when she bought a new one.

Time to face the inevitable: long underwear, natural fibre layers to protect my core, hood long coat, warm boots, hat, gloves and backpack for the groceries.

I used to LIKE winter when I was younger.

You daughters sound awesome. My sourdough starter is dormant in the fridge these days. I can't bake enough to use it all when it is active - I would need to feed a few ranch or farm hands to make it worthwhile. So, I'm doing yeast breads.

We have pretty mild weather here in the Bay Area (below 60 feels COLD to me), but the eternal shutdown has kept us home and cooking more. I enjoy making slow food like soups and braised dishes, so that's made staying in a bit easier.

The car option sounds great - certainly easier for you to get around and do some shopping.

Just got back from the VA, two appointments that turned into four.......... Started out with an aortic ultrasound appointment at 9 am where I was not allowed ANYTHING to eat or drink for four hours prior to the appointment. After that I did get a cup of coffee before my 10:20 Urology appointment where I peed into a "computerized" toilet that measured flow, amount, etc. The Urologist was anything but happy with the results so down to the lab for bloodwork to check kidney function then back to ultrasound to scan my kidneys where I had to gulp down 40 ounces of water and wait a half hour before they could do the scan.
Such a fun day.

Haven't heard back about the aortic scan but the Urologist called me yesterday. The kidneys look normal sized which is good, no swelling, my labs while not in the critical range are getting worse. Like he said yesterday, "you have the doctor's attention, you don't want the doctor's attention......" CT scan of the entire pelvic region is next, so waiting on those people to contact me to make an appointment. He thinks my problem might be more complicated than just a simple enlarged prostate, we'll see.
Prayers up, Mr. Ringel.:hands:

Doesn't sound like a happy day. Did they give you results or do you have to wait?

Headed for bed in the week hours of Sunday morning, but wanted to say Aunt Betty treated us to lunch at our favorite Mexican food restaurant today. It's the first time we've been able to go inside to eat at a restaurant in five months. And it was great!!! Sometime the simplest things can be such a blessing. Anyhow hope everybody is having a good weekend. I am inspired to make homemade bread tomorrow though.

Doesn't sound like a happy day. Did they give you results or do you have to wait?
Lab results and kidney ultrasound came back that day, the doc called me later that afternoon. My labs are showing a worsening problem with my kidneys, not critical but headed in that direction unless we do something about it. The ultrasound showed the kidneys to be normal size, he was worried they were swelling.

Lab results and kidney ultrasound came back that day, the doc called me later that afternoon. My labs are showing a worsening problem with my kidneys, not critical but headed in that direction unless we do something about it. The ultrasound showed the kidneys to be normal size, he was worried they were swelling.

Have you got kidney stones, or gall bladder problems?

Have you got kidney stones, or gall bladder problems?
No stones, and I lost my gal bladder over a decade ago. When I pee I typically do not get it all out and he thinks my bladder has stretched to twice it's normal size which can supposedly create a problem with the kidneys. My prostate is apparently now the size of a lemon and I've been taking the max dosage of prostate medication now for the last three years. There also may be scar tissue inside the urethral canal that could be causing some of the problems also, scar tissue due to earlier medical treatments. All that said he want's to find out exactly what's going on and fix it.

EuxlHHxXAAMrmV_.jpg

Prayers up. I'm quite a bit older than you are, but fixed my less than ideal labs with a daily smoothie of:

1/2 cup cottage cheese (low fat preferred)
1/4 cup organic unrefined fresh flax oil--pricey but you get a lot of servings out of a bottle. I order Earth Source or Puritan cold pressed oil from Amazon. I keep the flax oil refrigerated and tightly capped.

Use an immersible wand blender--these are much lower speed than a regular blender--and mix for about a minute until completely combined into a creamy substance that doesn't taste like either. Add a tablespoon or two of freshly ground flax seed--it loses a lot of its potency within 30 minutes of being ground so freshly ground is important--I grind mine in a cheap coffee grinder. Add a little raw honey and berries and/or chopped fruit and nuts and eat as is or. . .

I prefer to puree the fresh fruit in the blender, add some crushed ice, the freshly ground flax seed, honey, and a cup or so of pure apple juice (from your juicer or concentrate.) Add the cottage cheese/flax oil mixture and blend just until blended. You don't want to overblend the flax oil. You can add a little raw honey if you want the blend to be sweeter.

Eat or drink one or two of these daily and within 30 days your labs should have noticably improved. I cut all sugar out of my diet too though I have no problem with hypo or hyperglycemia. (Well, almost all.)

This recipe is designed to counter any auto immune issues and shore up the immune system in general. Eaten as 'pudding with honey and fruit' or drunk as a smoothie, it is quite palatable, even enjoyable for almost everybody.

Last edited:

Prayers up. I'm quite a bit older than you are, but fixed my less than ideal labs with a daily smoothie of:

1/2 cup cottage cheese (low fat preferred)
1/4 cup organic unrefined fresh flax oil--pricey but you get a lot of servings out of a bottle. I order Earth Source or Puritan cold pressed oil from Amazon. I keep the flax oil refrigerated and tightly capped.

Use an immersible wand blender--these are much lower speed than a regular blender--and mix for about a minute until completely combined into a creamy substance that doesn't taste like either. Add a tablespoon or two of freshly ground flax seed--it loses a lot of its potency within 30 minutes of being ground so freshly ground is important--I grind mine in a cheap coffee grinder. Add a little raw honey and berries and/or chopped fruit and nuts and eat as is or. . .

I prefer to puree the fresh fruit in the blender, add some crushed ice, the freshly ground flax seed, honey, and a cup or so of pure apple juice (from your juicer or concentrate.) Add the cottage cheese/flax oil mixture and blend just until blended. You don't want to overblend the flax oil. You can add a little raw honey if you want the blend to be sweeter.

Eat or drink one or two of these daily and within 30 days your labs should have noticably improved. I cut all sugar out of my diet too though I have no problem with hypo or hyperglycemia. (Well, almost all.)

This recipe is designed to counter any auto immune issues and shore up the immune system in general. Eaten as 'pudding with honey and fruit' or drunk as a smoothie, it is quite palatable, even enjoyable for almost everybody.

I'm going to have a terrible time as I get older. I'm too picky of an eater to be that healthy. :lol:

For what it's worth, my labs were showing loss of kidney function for a year or two there. But since I went on those daily flax oil/cottage cheese/ground flax seed smoothies I posted earlier, that is no longer the case. Labs look good. Can I say it was the smoothies that did that? No I can't. But they sure haven't apparently hurt anything either.

Forum List

Back