Mike Tyson vs. Muhammad Ali: Who would win?

Muhammad Ali was too smart ….Mike Tyson’s loses by KO after 6 rounds

not only is Ali the better boxer, he's smarter than Tyson, brothers
I hate these different era matchups. It's like Mark McGuire vs Babe Ruth.

You can't put Ali over Tyson in their first encounter, just like when Ali fought Foreman, the first time he lost.

lol, one of these. I always enjoy philosophy, especially in time wasters such as sports and I have a few minutes before dinner is done. This has been debated on here in the past anyways, I haven't watched boxing for many years.

I once felt Ali had to be the greatest, but a friend of mine convinced me of one question to consider, "could Ali absorb so many shots and rope-a-dope to the later rounds as he did the boxers of the 70s?" The answer to that question for anyone provides the answer to your scenario.

I personally doubt Ali could handle the punishment. Really who could?

He lost to the toughest boxer IMO in Joe Frazier, he stole one of those fights in the Thrilla in Manilla as far as I am concerned so I chalk it to two lose and the physical cost for both was steep.

Tyson hits harder but most importantly, quicker and far more unorthodox. His peek-a-boo style is extremely difficult to handle when coupled with speed, power and elusive trunk movement. If it were an open field, maybe, in a ring, it's the perfect storm of danger. His height was an advantage.

Yes, Ali beat heavy hitter Foreman in Zaire, but Foreman to this day suggests he was groggy due to someone putting something in his water. Who knows, but a young Foreman was as frightening a specimen as any who put on gloves. In the shady world of boxing, in a 3rd World Country, I tend to believe Foreman that the fix was in. Just as it was when Tyson lost in Japan and he STILL almost won that was how hard he hit, even groggy.

So, throw in those two suspect matches as the best comparisons and throw in Mike vs Ali in their prime and I conclude Tyson wins.

Unlike boxers before him, Tyson had one direction. Ali would be hit...alot. Like others before him he would try and use his range, but, it simply can't work when trapped in a ring. Ali would have to survive three rounds doing this before the needle starts to shift in his favor. In Tysons prime, I can't see it happening. He wasn't a gradual fighter, he chased his opponent, he wanted to K.O quickly.

The first guy to really beat him was Holyfield. The reason was that Tyson was past his prime, and, Holyfield could outbox him, he wasn't taking shots and trying to be cute. In Tysons prime, Holyfield loses but at that point in his post prison career, Holyfield just needed to stand in and outbox him with courage. Holyfield could do it then, he couldn't do it years earlier.

Much of Tyson is myth building and reputation. Psychological certainly. Who knows how many took a fall early in his career to build up the mystique so that boxing bettors could make millions? However, stylistically and otherwise, he was just the perfect dominant boxer with the right coach, disposition and life experiences to be near unbeatable in the ring in his prime.

In a 10 match simulation I could see Tyson winning at least 8 of them.

Last edited:
So, throw in those two suspect matches as the best comparisons and throw in Mike vs Ali in their prime and I conclude Tyson wins.

What you forget is that most of Ali's career was after his prime.

On April 28, 1967, with the United States at war in Vietnam, Ali refused to be inducted into the armed forces, saying “I ain't got no quarrel with those Vietcong.” On June 20, 1967, Ali was convicted of draft evasion, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years.

What you forget is that most of Ali's career was after his prime.

On April 28, 1967, with the United States at war in Vietnam, Ali refused to be inducted into the armed forces, saying “I ain't got no quarrel with those Vietcong.” On June 20, 1967, Ali was convicted of draft evasion, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years.

Tyson also lost his prime, he was 41-1 when he went to prison for three years at the age of, what, 26?

I've made my argument. There hasn't been any stylistic fighter like Tyson since, you'd have to go back to the bare fisted/early glove period to even witness a similar style. Ali was a great talker and Showman, he wasn't as dominant as far as I am concerned and I question the legitimacy of some of his biggest wins.

if Foreman and guys like Shavers and Norton could not knock Ali out i cant see Tyson doing it.....Ali would cut him up.....
Exactly. He'd carve Tyson up. Tyson walked forward with his hands below his chin. Alis jab would have made a mess of Tysons face. And Ali had a mental toughness Tyson did not. He fought 13 rounds with a broken jaw against Ken Norton. Tyson could not beat that.

I hate these different era matchups. It's like Mark McGuire vs Babe Ruth.

You can't put Ali over Tyson in their first encounter, just like when Ali fought Foreman, the first time he lost.
Ali only fought Foreman one time and won by 8th round knockout, unless you were referring to Joe Frazier.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Exactly. He'd carve Tyson up. Tyson walked forward with his hands below his chin. Alis jab would have made a mess of Tysons face. And Ali had a mental toughness Tyson did not. He fought 13 rounds with a broken jaw against Ken Norton. Tyson could not beat that.

Ali also was a master at talking to opponents and getting them frustrated, just imagine someone jabbing you in the face round after round and laughing at you.

Also, a big part of Tysons game was intimidation. That would not have worked on Ali, because he had no fear.

Mike Tyson vs. Muhammad Ali: Who would win?​

Without a doubt, Mrs. Clay's baby boy Cassius...

1657238166280.png

Tyson also lost his prime, he was 41-1 when he went to prison for three years at the age of, what, 26?

I've made my argument. There hasn't been any stylistic fighter like Tyson since, you'd have to go back to the bare fisted/early glove period to even witness a similar style. Ali was a great talker and Showman, he wasn't as dominant as far as I am concerned and I question the legitimacy of some of his biggest wins.

Actually, Ali lost his prime years as well.

He was exiled from boxing at the age of 25 and did not fight for 3 and a half years, yet he came back and fought every legitimate contender until he won his title back from George Foreman, 10 years after he won the title the first time.

An argument could also be made that over their respective careers, Ali fought a better quality of opposition over a longer period of time. Tyson never fought as many former champions as Ali did, nor did Tyson ever avenge any of his defeats as Ali did.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
"Hey, guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist-fight between Anne Frank and Lizzie Borden."

-- The Monarch

6fdacec2-05fa-48bf-99fe-bfe9700e9643_screenshot.jpg

At his best, nobody actually hit Ali. His style resulted in misses and glancing blows all the time. Frazier hit him a lucky shot, one time, and that's it.

Tyson was unstoppable, and basically knocked everyone out until the fiasco in Japan. Then he realized he could be beat and was a different fighter.

No telling who would have won with both in their early 20's. Certainly a fight worth watching.

Mike Tyson vs. Muhammad Ali: Who would win?​

View attachment 667551
At his best, nobody actually hit Ali. His style resulted in misses and glancing blows all the time. Frazier hit him a lucky shot, one time, and that's it.

Tyson was unstoppable, and basically knocked everyone out until the fiasco in Japan. Then he realized he could be beat and was a different fighter.

No telling who would have won with both in their early 20's. Certainly a fight worth watching.

IMO, What ruined Tyson were the deaths of Cus D'Amato, and then Jim Jacob's. He was never as disciplined as he was prior to losing them.

Ali also was a master at talking to opponents and getting them frustrated, just imagine someone jabbing you in the face round after round and laughing at you.

Also, a big part of Tysons game was intimidation. That would not have worked on Ali, because he had no fear.
Exactly.

Forum List

Back