Zone1 Is The Story of Adam and Eve a Metaphor?

both introduced by Adam and Eve.

I think G-d is at least guilty of entrapment here. If you put up a tree in the middle of my garden with a big sign saying, "Do Not Eat" ... you can't say it's not a temptation.

He could have just as easily put the "knowledge of good and evil" on the top of Mt Everest or at the bottom of the sea.

The Bible is a book of wisdom, and this story is no different.

Notice that a tree was named the tree of knowledge? Well, what is the difference between knowledge and wisdom?

God is the source of wisdom and knowledge, but when you lust for knowledge without wisdom, terrible things start to happen.

In fact, knowledge empowers you, but to do what without wisdom? The Bible says that wisdom is to fear God, and fearing God is to hate evil. So wisdom is basically hating what is evil.

And if you look at the world today, you seem example after example of this. People do not fear evil, rather, they just crave more and more knowledge which can empower men to become more and more evil and destructive

Men looked for wisdom on how to create WMD's. And as the creator of the first A-bomb, Oppenheimer, famously said after creating the weapon, "I have become death".

Or how about men genetically altering plants and crops that sterilize them? This technology threatens to wipe out plant life if these plants cross pollinate with plants that can reproduce.

Or how about the new technology AI. What will happen to humanity if they surrender control of their lives to an intelligence that is devoid of empathy for humanity? What will AI do if you feed it the notion, for example, that man is destroying the planet with carbon emission, which if true, is yet another example of what I'm talking about here. Will AI see to save the planet and itself by destroying mankind? Movies like "The Terminator" reflect such concerns.

So at the end of the day, history shows us that the story is correct, knowledge without wisdom brings death.

Most though have no wisdom and just make fun of a story that warns us not to self-destruct.

I think G-d is at least guilty of entrapment here. If you put up a tree in the middle of my garden with a big sign saying, "Do Not Eat" ... you can't say it's not a temptation.
Ever grow fruit trees around young children? Of course you tell them not to eat the fruit, because the fruit is not yet ripe. Yet they do, at least once, with a resulting tummy ache. We don't move the trees to the top of a mountain or the bottom of a tree. We learn to wait to eat the fruit when it is ripe.

Yeah, the metaphor is: Don't trust a woman who offers you her snake offered 'fruit!' :cool:

The word Da'as means incorporating facts and interpreting them as you wish.
You may wish to interpret facts as God wishes or as you wish.

He could have just as easily put the "knowledge of good and evil" on the top of Mt Everest or at the bottom of the sea.
It is an interesting scenerio.
I've thought that since God is sin less, the only way He could bring death and sin into this world was this way.

I've done a piece on this subject, it was in my book in 2001.
Basically the beginning of Genesis is the warning about the false promises of the serpent (radiant [luciferous]viper) who promises eternity through partaking of these teachings of death worship (kingdom in death).
Adam =a word meaning "man" is persuaded by it's second wife Eve (the church) to partake of this teaching from the forbidden tree (Moshiach is to be from the Aaronic line says scrolls-but Jesus is placed through all the harlots of the Bible (thus called the harlot church and the forbidden tree [including the symbol]). So the false FALLEN prophet CAUSED THE CHURCH (EVE) TO PARTAKE OF THESE TEACHINGS OF DEATH With promises to live forever in death, and the church (Eve) persuaded Adam (man) to partake in these death precepts as well [causing over thousands of wars and 50 million murders in this false prophet's name.]
Eventually Adam (man) and his bride (church)are "uncovered their deception" (which is what that particular word "naked" means in Hebrew)*
Christianity teaches themselves that the adversary (satan) is in those Verses, they were falsely promised eternal life through "a Paul's" false prophet yet have only received death(They will surely die says Genesis) through that false promise of life in the kingdom of death.

*(veil Moshiach removes[in Isaiah])come undone, we see the aka naked truth which they will be embarassed by and why they covered themselves up (placed a covering of fig leaves over the nakedness)in the first place.

I think G-d is at least guilty of entrapment here. If you put up a tree in the middle of my garden with a big sign saying, "Do Not Eat" ... you can't say it's not a temptation
Temptation was exactly the point of putting it where He did.

I haven’t been a Christian in more than 20 years. I’ve taken n a more Spiritual than religious view of God and Divinity.

In my mind, whether Adam and Eve is a metaphor or a historical accounting the message is the same… the need for people to resist Temptation, no matter how seductive and appealing it may be. That is, in my mind, the entire purpose of our existence.

Most people on this subject don't seem to understand what they're talking about.

First we need to understand the words we're using (from here):

A simile is a figure of speech in which two essentially unlike things are compared, often in a phrase introduced by "like" or "as." "She is as innocent as an angel"
A metaphor is a figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another. While a simile says A is like B, a metaphor says A is B. "She is an angel"
An analogy is a similarity between like features of two (otherwise dissimilar) things, on which a comparison may be based. "She is as quiet as a mouse"
An allegory is the representation of abstract ideas or principles by characters, figures, or events in narrative, dramatic, or pictorial form. Animal Farm by George Orwell is a political allegory pertaining to the Russian revolution of 1917 and the rise of communism.

What I see here is that the story of Adam and Eve is an allegory that shows up in the second story of creation (there's more than one there) and it shares many truths. It gets into good and evil, pain and suffering, people's roll in establishing order, etc.

As for the observable scientific basis for Adam and Eve. DNA research shows that all humans are descended from one woman and one man. It's pure math and genealogy. Of course, that Eve and Adam may have lived very far apart both in time and place but that's another story.

more entrapment as written in their book than a metaphor for the future course to guide humanities destiny - to chose their own self determination than the patronage of an unknown benefactor. as the proper choice to have taken.

Temptation was exactly the point of putting it where He did.

I haven’t been a Christian in more than 20 years. I’ve taken n a more Spiritual than religious view of God and Divinity.

In my mind, whether Adam and Eve is a metaphor or a historical accounting the message is the same… the need for people to resist Temptation, no matter how seductive and appealing it may be. That is, in my mind, the entire purpose of our existence.
Your first is correct, but your last went to the wrong conclusion.

Why do Christians sing of Adams sin being a happy fault and necessary to God's plan?

You have what is necessary as evil more than good.

You disagree with God and nature and the bible.

Tsk. tsk.

Do you see God's plan as off the rails or running nicely?

Regards
DL

Why do Christians sing of Adams sin being a happy fault and necessary to God's plan?

You have what is necessary as evil more than good.

You disagree with God and nature and the bible.

Do you see God's plan as off the rails or running nicely?
Christianity sees the Fall of Adam and Eve as necessary to set up the Salvation brought by the life, death, resurrection and ascendency of Jesus.

I disagree with your God and your Bible. I have no use for either. I strongly disagree with your assertion that my belief in our existence being merely a means to test the Soul being contrary to nature. In fact it is the nature of humanity that makes me believe as I do.

I don’t see the same plan of the Divine that you do, so whether your God’s plan is on track is irrelevant to me.

In Adam and Eve's case, it was not a temptation. Satan (the serpent) was the tempter. So, the metaphor is watch out for those who try to tempt you in believing God doesn't exist and that there are no commandments.

In Adam and Eve's case, it was not a temptation. Satan (the serpent) was the tempter. So, the metaphor is watch out for those who try to tempt you in believing God doesn't exist and that there are no commandments.

the inscrutable serpents are who would use false commandments - the desert religions ... than the heavenly prescribed religion of antiquity without a single commandment than to free ones spirit through triumph, good vs evil to receive judgement for which that was for admission to the everlasting.

the inscrutable serpents are who would use false commandments - the desert religions ... than the heavenly prescribed religion of antiquity without a single commandment than to free ones spirit through triumph, good vs evil to receive judgement for which that was for admission to the everlasting.
Unfortunately for you that there is no religion accepted or taught by God. Your religion is made up.

Forum List

Back