Zone1 When Adam blamed Eve and Eve blamed the serpent (Satan)... interesting how God dealt with that

We're talking about you so it's not a question of what I think. It's what you think that matters and it is crystal clear that you do “think talking/writing about stuff from the Bible makes you a believer”. You've proved it time and time again all through this thread. So, stop trying to back-peddle your way out of your own words. :45:
lol
It's no secret in this part of the woods/religious forum that I'm an atheist. I never made any bones about it.

lol
It's no secret in this part of the woods/religious forum that I'm an atheist. I never made any bones about it.
You are living a lie that is confirmed by your own words as I've already proved. Did you think slipping out of the rear exit by not slamming the door I wouldn't notice? I caught you red-faced and red-handed. :08621:

You are living a lie that is confirmed by your own words as I've already proved. Did you think slipping out of the rear exit by not slamming the door I wouldn't notice? I caught you red-faced and red-handed. :08621:
K. What's the lie I'm living?

They hid from God AFTER they ate the fruit, having gained the knowledge that disobedience is wrong by eating the apple. .Before they ate the apple they didn't know it would be wrong, they didn't have the ability.
People hide what they do wrong. Which means people know when and what they do wrong.

They hid from God AFTER they ate the fruit, having gained the knowledge that disobedience is wrong by eating the apple. .Before they ate the apple they didn't know it would be wrong, they didn't have the ability.
Conflating right and wrong with good and evil misses the point of Genesis.

One can be wrong (incorrect) without being evil. One can be right (correct) without being good. Eating the fruit was not about having the ability to distinguish right and wrong, but good and evil.
See folks, that's what is so weird about the Adam and Eve story. God made them without a conscience and obviously desired them to remain that way. Today we call such people sociopath/psychopath. They gained their conscience by eating the apple and they were promptly punished for doing so.
Adam and Eve knew it would be wrong for them to jump off a cliff (or out of a tree), eat a rock, or breathe in water. They knew it was right to drink water and take care of themselves. This is Instinct and having nothing to do with any psychosis. We can imagine God telling them, "Don't breathe water, jump off a cliff, or eat the fruit from that tree in the middle of the garden" and Adam and Eve following these instructions. Animals do not know good from evil, but they are not psychotic, because they have an instinct of what is correct (right) and what is wrong (incorrect).

The fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden contained the knowledge of good and evil--how to create good out of evil...and evil from what is good. There is, in Jewish thought, the idea that the reason Adam and Eve were given this command was because the fruit was not yet ready for consumption. For that reason, Jews do not eat the first produce from a young tree. They wait until the second year.

Conflating right and wrong with good and evil misses the point of Genesis.

One can be wrong (incorrect) without being evil. One can be right (correct) without being good. Eating the fruit was not about having the ability to distinguish right and wrong, but good and evil.

Adam and Eve knew it would be wrong for them to jump off a cliff (or out of a tree), eat a rock, or breathe in water. They knew it was right to drink water and take care of themselves. This is Instinct and having nothing to do with any psychosis. We can imagine God telling them, "Don't breathe water, jump off a cliff, or eat the fruit from that tree in the middle of the garden" and Adam and Eve following these instructions. Animals do not know good from evil, but they are not psychotic, because they have an instinct of what is correct (right) and what is wrong (incorrect).

The fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden contained the knowledge of good and evil--how to create good out of evil...and evil from what is good. There is, in Jewish thought, the idea that the reason Adam and Eve were given this command was because the fruit was not yet ready for consumption. For that reason, Jews do not eat the first produce from a young tree. They wait until the second year.
I was followng and agreeing until the last thing... never heard this stuff, so can't endorse it. The fruit wasn't ready? Who says? Hate to sound like a protester but that's not in Scripture and as a lifelong Catholic, I've never heard any clergy say that or etc....

It could be so, but I don't believe everything that comes down the pike...

I was followng and agreeing until the last thing... never heard this stuff, so can't endorse it. The fruit wasn't ready? Who says? Hate to sound like a protester but that's not in Scripture and as a lifelong Catholic, I've never heard any clergy say that or etc....
Non-canonical Hebrew lore. No one is required to believe or practice it, but some Jews do. Remember, not all stories of that time made it to the Bible. Doesn't make them any less interesting--just not as well known.

Non-canonical Hebrew lore. No one is required to believe or practice it, but some Jews do. Remember, not all stories of that time made it to the Bible. Doesn't make them any less interesting--just not as well known.
The gospel of Thomas didn't make it---

thanks to the auspices of that hideous thing called the Catholic Church which put together the NT books, decided which ones to include and which not..

Guess what it says in that rejected book?

That women should strive (my word) to be like MEN so they can get into Heaven.

So God made a mistake when he made women?!

Wow....

That's how I get my jollies. Currently I'm torturing a member here with the fact that his name got blotted out of the Book of Life.
If you like torturing people, you will like Hell, where you yourself will be tortured by demons for all eternity

The Gospel of Thomas wasn't written until later...
I know. It was likely written in the 2nd century. It is unreliable and that's why the Catholic Church rejected it. God did not make a mistake by making females. If anything-----------

OK, I won't go there. (But I do recall to mind that stat about how 96% of murders are committed by... which gender?)

Forum List

Back