Heroic Derek Chauvin Appeals to US Supreme Court

The problem here is that (in my opinion anyway), context is not proof.

Not knowing how many ft lbs. of pressure it would take to restrict blood flow to the brain for someone as large as Floyd, it seems plausible to me that the lethal amount of drugs in his system, coupled with the 75%, 75%, 25% and 90% blockage in four of his main heart arteries and his extreme emotional distress in the situation could have caused a heart attack.

Context or no context, given the above pre-existing conditions and the fact that he was complaining he couldn’t breathe before they had him on the ground, he very well could have died because of this.

Again. You may not know. But the Pulmonologist and Cardiologist do know. And they testified about how much pressure there was, and how much it would take.

The Defense didn’t offer any contradictory information on that. Instead they went with a Coroner who offered some of the worst excuses imaginable. And under cross examination hammered the nail in Chauvin’s coffin.

Look. There are lots of news reports if you want a summary of the testimony. If you want the highlights there are videos. The entire testimony is online. It’s all there. Instead of asking me if they considered this sufficiently. Watch the evidence. Watch the testimony. It was all covered.

As you wonder time and again if something was really considered, and it was. Even the Defense Expert didn’t claim that the restrictions had killed Floyd, I’d like to ask you to consider something.

Instead of wondering if Chauvin was railroaded, or sacrificed, or thrown to the wolves. Let’s examine his actions, and record.

Over his career Chauvin had received a dozen complaints. That is people who took the time to actually file a report complaining about Chauvin’s performance and behavior. Most of those complaints were upheld. In other words, Chauvin did what the person making the report claimed he had.

If you had someone who was arrested a dozen times, and was found guilty of most of the crimes he was arrested for, you would call him a career criminal wouldn’t you?

But what happened to Chauvin? Oh he might have gotten a few days off without pay, he may have had to endure retraining. Or a letter to his personnel file. But he suffered no real punitive measures, and did not change. That’s the important part. He was still doing the same sort of thing years later. Why?

Some people claim that Chauvin was sacrificed to BLM, or to ANTIFA, or the Left, or whichever boogy man group that they want to blame. There is truth to part of that. Chauvin was sacrificed. But he wasn’t sacrificed to the Left, BLM, ANTIFA, or any other group like that. He was sacrificed to the Middle Class Whites in Suburbia.

Through the whole episode, Chauvin looked confused, as if he couldn’t really believe what was going on. And there is a scenario in which that makes sense. Let’s say I call you into the office. I tell you that you did indeed violation procedure and use excessive force in effecting the arrest. But I also say you are a good cop and doing a great job out there, but I have to put this letter into your file. What message do you get? You walk away thinking that the god damned idiots who don’t know what it is to be a cop are making the boss do this shit. But you know what you need to do, you need to keep being the aggressive and hard charging cop that the others depend upon.

That’s how you get a dozen complaints. You get most of them upheld because you won’t change. Your fellow cops and even supervisors tell you that you did a good job tackling the crook. You were great in how you put him down quickly and got him in cuffs.

You don’t learn how to do the job the way you are supposed to. You don’t learn that if you keep violating policies and procedures, that you will get into real trouble. Like the old Juvenile Delinquents of the 1970’s and 1980’s. You don’t really face any punishment, and you have the admiration of your peers, so why not keep doing it?

And much like those Juvenile delinquents, suddenly you are held to account for something, and it doesn’t make sense. You have done it before. Nothing happened, at most you got a slap on the wrist.

The policy on the knee hold was to use it only long enough to restrain the suspect. Once they were in cuffs, you were supposed to stop. Chauvin didn’t stop. He rarely stopped. He would hold it while they searched the suspect. He would hold it long after it was authorized. The superiors knew, and didn’t put a stop to it.

When Floyd died. Suddenly the tough cop was a bad boy. And the Chief and big wig folks rushed out to condemn Floyd. We’ve all seen it before. It’s the same thing they always say whenever a cop gets caught, usually by video, doing something he shouldn’t. They are shocked and humiliated. The actions of this one officer don’t reflect the qualities and professionalism of the rest of the department.

Chauvin didn’t understand what was going on, because for the first time in his life, they were really enforcing the rules that had been ignored for more than a decade.

Now, take a moment. Imagine what would have happened if a dozen years before Floyd entered the picture. Chauvin had been taught properly. His trainers had not taught him how to get around the rules. Instead of a little slap on the wrist, a serious talking to and a warning. If he violated the rules again, retraining after a couple weeks without pay.

Mandatory retraining for all officers to make sure they all know what to do so they don’t pull a Chauvin.

If that had happened. Chauvin wouldn’t have stayed on Floyd that day. He wouldn’t have remained kneeling on the man. He wouldn’t have ignored the loss of consciousness. He wouldn’t have continued kneeling after a pulse could not be found. He wouldn’t be charged with a crime, and he wouldn’t be in Prison now.

The Department encouraged his bad behavior for more than a decade. Giving him a pat on the back while at the same time giving a slap on the wrist. When the end result, predictable as the sunrise, came about. Chauvin would have either shaped up, or been forced out.

I operate a number of different types of Heavy Equipment. The safety rules are inviolate. If we see someone breaking some of them, we have to stop them and send them off to be talked to. If they do it again, they get retrained and written up. We do this because a mistake could kill someone. And we have accidents from time to time. I’ve had them. we’re human we make mistakes. But how severe that mistake turns out to be, how serious the repercussions depends on a lot of things. A little accident is a slap on the wrist. If you have a second one within six months, you’re going home for a couple weeks without cash coming in. If you have a third? You won’t be working there much longer.

We all know these rules are enforced all the time. If because of the situation you have to deviate from the normal safety procedures, you call a foreman and get him over there. You let him know what you are doing and why. You let him decide if you go forward or not. If you take it on yourself, and it ends in disaster, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Chauvin was responsible for the death of Floyd. But he is not alone in that responsibility. His trainers and supervisors for the last decade are certainly culpable of some of the guilt. They knew Chauvin was aggressive and on the edge of being out of control. They wanted him doing that. They wanted to have him out there being tough and backing up his fellow officers.

A dozen complaints. Most of them were upheld, found to be true. Chauvin had actually done it and the evidence was so overwhelming that the investigation could not pretend there was any question.

Ask yourself this. How much was Chauvin responsible?

Again. You may not know. But the Pulmonologist and Cardiologist do know. And they testified about how much pressure there was, and how much it would take.

The Defense didn’t offer any contradictory information on that. Instead they went with a Coroner who offered some of the worst excuses imaginable. And under cross examination hammered the nail in Chauvin’s coffin.

Look. There are lots of news reports if you want a summary of the testimony. If you want the highlights there are videos. The entire testimony is online. It’s all there. Instead of asking me if they considered this sufficiently. Watch the evidence. Watch the testimony. It was all covered.

As you wonder time and again if something was really considered, and it was. Even the Defense Expert didn’t claim that the restrictions had killed Floyd, I’d like to ask you to consider something.

Instead of wondering if Chauvin was railroaded, or sacrificed, or thrown to the wolves. Let’s examine his actions, and record.

Over his career Chauvin had received a dozen complaints. That is people who took the time to actually file a report complaining about Chauvin’s performance and behavior. Most of those complaints were upheld. In other words, Chauvin did what the person making the report claimed he had.

If you had someone who was arrested a dozen times, and was found guilty of most of the crimes he was arrested for, you would call him a career criminal wouldn’t you?

But what happened to Chauvin? Oh he might have gotten a few days off without pay, he may have had to endure retraining. Or a letter to his personnel file. But he suffered no real punitive measures, and did not change. That’s the important part. He was still doing the same sort of thing years later. Why?

Some people claim that Chauvin was sacrificed to BLM, or to ANTIFA, or the Left, or whichever boogy man group that they want to blame. There is truth to part of that. Chauvin was sacrificed. But he wasn’t sacrificed to the Left, BLM, ANTIFA, or any other group like that. He was sacrificed to the Middle Class Whites in Suburbia.

Through the whole episode, Chauvin looked confused, as if he couldn’t really believe what was going on. And there is a scenario in which that makes sense. Let’s say I call you into the office. I tell you that you did indeed violation procedure and use excessive force in effecting the arrest. But I also say you are a good cop and doing a great job out there, but I have to put this letter into your file. What message do you get? You walk away thinking that the god damned idiots who don’t know what it is to be a cop are making the boss do this shit. But you know what you need to do, you need to keep being the aggressive and hard charging cop that the others depend upon.

That’s how you get a dozen complaints. You get most of them upheld because you won’t change. Your fellow cops and even supervisors tell you that you did a good job tackling the crook. You were great in how you put him down quickly and got him in cuffs.

You don’t learn how to do the job the way you are supposed to. You don’t learn that if you keep violating policies and procedures, that you will get into real trouble. Like the old Juvenile Delinquents of the 1970’s and 1980’s. You don’t really face any punishment, and you have the admiration of your peers, so why not keep doing it?

And much like those Juvenile delinquents, suddenly you are held to account for something, and it doesn’t make sense. You have done it before. Nothing happened, at most you got a slap on the wrist.

The policy on the knee hold was to use it only long enough to restrain the suspect. Once they were in cuffs, you were supposed to stop. Chauvin didn’t stop. He rarely stopped. He would hold it while they searched the suspect. He would hold it long after it was authorized. The superiors knew, and didn’t put a stop to it.

When Floyd died. Suddenly the tough cop was a bad boy. And the Chief and big wig folks rushed out to condemn Floyd. We’ve all seen it before. It’s the same thing they always say whenever a cop gets caught, usually by video, doing something he shouldn’t. They are shocked and humiliated. The actions of this one officer don’t reflect the qualities and professionalism of the rest of the department.

Chauvin didn’t understand what was going on, because for the first time in his life, they were really enforcing the rules that had been ignored for more than a decade.

Now, take a moment. Imagine what would have happened if a dozen years before Floyd entered the picture. Chauvin had been taught properly. His trainers had not taught him how to get around the rules. Instead of a little slap on the wrist, a serious talking to and a warning. If he violated the rules again, retraining after a couple weeks without pay.

Mandatory retraining for all officers to make sure they all know what to do so they don’t pull a Chauvin.

If that had happened. Chauvin wouldn’t have stayed on Floyd that day. He wouldn’t have remained kneeling on the man. He wouldn’t have ignored the loss of consciousness. He wouldn’t have continued kneeling after a pulse could not be found. He wouldn’t be charged with a crime, and he wouldn’t be in Prison now.

The Department encouraged his bad behavior for more than a decade. Giving him a pat on the back while at the same time giving a slap on the wrist. When the end result, predictable as the sunrise, came about. Chauvin would have either shaped up, or been forced out.

I operate a number of different types of Heavy Equipment. The safety rules are inviolate. If we see someone breaking some of them, we have to stop them and send them off to be talked to. If they do it again, they get retrained and written up. We do this because a mistake could kill someone. And we have accidents from time to time. I’ve had them. we’re human we make mistakes. But how severe that mistake turns out to be, how serious the repercussions depends on a lot of things. A little accident is a slap on the wrist. If you have a second one within six months, you’re going home for a couple weeks without cash coming in. If you have a third? You won’t be working there much longer.

We all know these rules are enforced all the time. If because of the situation you have to deviate from the normal safety procedures, you call a foreman and get him over there. You let him know what you are doing and why. You let him decide if you go forward or not. If you take it on yourself, and it ends in disaster, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Chauvin was responsible for the death of Floyd. But he is not alone in that responsibility. His trainers and supervisors for the last decade are certainly culpable of some of the guilt. They knew Chauvin was aggressive and on the edge of being out of control. They wanted him doing that. They wanted to have him out there being tough and backing up his fellow officers.

A dozen complaints. Most of them were upheld, found to be true. Chauvin had actually done it and the evidence was so overwhelming that the investigation could not pretend there was any question.

Ask yourself this. How much was Chauvin responsible?
I know about Chauvin’s work record but that is still not proof, no more so than context.

In spite of everything you say here, I can’t shake the feeling that something was overlooked or certain things were exaggerated.

For example, the Floyd family attorney, Crump, calling for a second autopsy even after Baker ruled homicide makes no sense to me.

Another question I have is: If there were no drugs in Floyd’s system and had had no underlying severe heart condition, would he have still died that day?

Okay then.
E884F06D5043BE1268A1AEB1E1E1CA5B7BC80F65

Like invisible asphyxiations?

The irony here is everyone telling me asphyxiation cannot always be detected and yet the independent MEs detected it anyway. How?
The M.E. didn't say asphyxiation wasn't detected. He said there were no signs that physical trauma caused the asphyxiation. Do you understand what physical trauma means? Let's say I kick you in the throat hard enough to damage your esophagus, and you choke and asphyxiate to death. In that instance, there probably would be signs that asphyxiation was caused physical trauma (the violent kick to the throat). In this case his throat and esophagus weren't damaged, they were simply compressed to the point where he couldn't get enough oxygen.

I know about Chauvin’s work record but that is still not proof, no more so than context.

In spite of everything you say here, I can’t shake the feeling that something was overlooked or certain things were exaggerated.

For example, the Floyd family attorney, Crump, calling for a second autopsy even after Baker ruled homicide makes no sense to me.

Another question I have is: If there were no drugs in Floyd’s system and had had no underlying severe heart condition, would he have still died that day?

The second autopsy. That is part of what bothers you? The idea that 431 Medical Examiners agreed with the findings doesn’t convince you. Nope. Not that.

I say that because 431 signed a letter saying the defense expert present such illogical arguments that they questioned his medical competence.

I do wonder something myself. Why the desire to get Chauvin off? Why the desire to ignore the overwhelming evidence that he is guilty?

The policy of the Police Department was written because they knew that kneeling on a guy was dangerous. They acknowledged that sometimes it was reasonable to do so for a suspect who was combative. However they made it a rule that you did not continue doing so once the suspect was in cuffs.

So why did Chauvin ignore this policy? He was trained on it. The Use of force trainer for the Police Department testified that he explained all of this to Chauvin. Chauvin signed showing he had received the training. Why didn’t he follow the policy?

You want to believe that the knee didn’t kill Floyd. You find it hard to believe that it is possible to kill someone by kneeling on him.

People have known about this for decades.

1996 they knew the dangers of positional asphyxiation. So while Chauvin was in High School they were training people to take precautions. Why didn’t Chauvin follow the training? Training that had been around since before he got laid for the first time?

Let me ask you this. If Chauvin had followed Procedure and his training. And Floyd died anyway. Do you think Chauvin would have faced charges? I don’t. I think Chauvin would have had an airtight defense. I did what I was supposed to. I did what I was trained to do is an excellent defense.

The Prosecutor would have found it impossible to convict Chauvin.

When I was a boy. My Father gave me the secret to being a success. He said all I had to do at work was show up when I was supposed to. And do what I was supposed to do.

The Department spent the time to come up with the policy. They spent the money to train the people as to what those policies were. They paid Chauvin to show up and attend the training. They made the training mandatory. They required Chauvin to show up and attend the class.

What more were they supposed to do?

But let’s cover what might have happened. I said that the cross examination of the Defense Expert nailed the lid shut. Let’s see what kind of questions were asked that sealed Chauvin’s fate.

This is the raw video.

Here is the defense expert under cross exam.

So the Defense expert admitted that if Chauvin had done what he was trained to do there was a good possibility that Floyd would be alive.

So take a moment and consider that. The Defense Expert testified that if Chauvin had done what he was trained to do. What he was supposed to do. If Chauvin had then Floyd would probably be alive.

Not from the beginning. Just from the point where Floyd lost consciousness and they couldn’t find a pulse. If Chauvin had gotten off then and started to administer CPR. Floyd would probably be alive.

At that point. Chauvin should have made sure his affairs were in order. Because his own expert just insured he was going to prison.

The M.E. didn't say asphyxiation wasn't detected. He said there were no signs that physical trauma caused the asphyxiation.

Nope. He said in his autopsy report that there were no signs of asphyxiation. He also told county attorneys in a meeting with them that he didn’t think Floyd died by asphyxiation.
Do you understand what physical trauma means? Let's say I kick you in the throat hard enough to damage your esophagus, and you choke and asphyxiate to death. In that instance, there probably would be signs that asphyxiation was caused physical trauma (the violent kick to the throat). In this case his throat and esophagus weren't damaged, they were simply compressed to the point where he couldn't get enough oxygen.

That’s not what he said. Even if it’s true, how much did the drugs in his system contribute to that? For that matter, how much did his heart condition contribute?

According to Baker’s findings, Floyd was a heart attack waiting to happen. He was a candidate for, at the very least, a triple bypass and at worst, a quadruple bypass.

With three of his main arteries being severely blocked and a fourth artery being almost completely blocked, it is conceivable that, in Floyd’s highly agitated state, that this alone could have restricted blood flow to his brain.

Nope. He said in his autopsy report that there were no signs of asphyxiation. He also told county attorneys in a meeting with them that he didn’t think Floyd died by asphyxiation.

That’s not what he said. Even if it’s true, how much did the drugs in his system contribute to that? For that matter, how much did his heart condition contribute?

According to Baker’s findings, Floyd was a heart attack waiting to happen. He was a candidate for, at the very least, a triple bypass and at worst, a quadruple bypass.

With three of his main arteries being severely blocked and a fourth artery being almost completely blocked, it is conceivable that, in Floyd’s highly agitated state, that this alone could have restricted blood flow to his brain.
Baker testified Chauvin killed Floyd you Bingo. 😄

The second autopsy. That is part of what bothers you?

The second autopsy doesn’t bother me. The reason they asked for a second autopsy does.

In the article linked below, the author shows how we had an unusual situation where prosecutors and Floyd family attorneys were not satisfied with Baker’s original autopsy report that said Floyd died of cardiac arrest but nevertheless ruled his death a homicide.

Cause of death at issue in Chauvin trial as prosecution questions medical examiner's findings

Special prosecutor Blackwell told jurors that, though Baker’s report said cardiac arrest, the prosecution would nevertheless prove Floyd died by aspyxiation. Huh?

Former Ramsey County attorney Susan Gaertner said: “What is unusual is that, to some extent, the battle of the experts is within the state's case instead of between the state and the defense."

My take on this is that prosecutors and Floyd family attorneys felt the need to eliminate any possibility of drugs or Floyd’s heart condition contributing to his death. It had to be solely asphyxiation by the officer to make Chauvin’s actions that much more egregious.

What’s more, you point out that I’m dismissing the opinions of experts and Xponentialchaos repeated ad nauseum that I was questioning the medical experts. And yet, that is exactly what prosecutors did with Baker’s findings.
The idea that 431 Medical Examiners agreed with the findings doesn’t convince you. Nope. Not that.

Not when they can’t even agree among themselves, no.
I say that because 431 signed a letter saying the defense expert present such illogical arguments that they questioned his medical competence.

Was this submitted as evidence?
I do wonder something myself. Why the desire to get Chauvin off? Why the desire to ignore the overwhelming evidence that he is guilty?

I don’t necessarily want Chauvin to get off. My priority, first and foremost, is the truth.

I’m not kidding myself into believing that anything I say here will matter and it won’t prove a thing. We’re just having a discussion and that’s all it will ever be.

But I saw the tremendous public pressure at the time to hang Chauvin and so did you and everyone else. Celebrities, pundits, politicians, media figures and who knows how many millions of citizens, were screaming for Chauvin’s conviction long before the trial took place. Hardly anyone was being objective and that disturbed me.

Also, something else everyone knew -on both sides of the issue - was that if Chauvin were acquitted, the inevitable riots would have made all other riots that came before look like cafeteria food fights.

I can’t help but think this colored peoples’ opinions.
The policy of the Police Department was written because they knew that kneeling on a guy was dangerous. They acknowledged that sometimes it was reasonable to do so for a suspect who was combative. However they made it a rule that you did not continue doing so once the suspect was in cuffs.

I understand it was against department policy and I have maintained from the beginning that he should have been reprimanded accordingly.
So why did Chauvin ignore this policy? He was trained on it. The Use of force trainer for the Police Department testified that he explained all of this to Chauvin. Chauvin signed showing he had received the training. Why didn’t he follow the policy?

I don’t know. Why didn’t any of them?
You want to believe that the knee didn’t kill Floyd. You find it hard to believe that it is possible to kill someone by kneeling on him.

I don’t “want” to believe anything and I never suggested the knee on Floyd’s neck didn’t kill him.

As I said, my focus is the truth. When I talk about the lethal level of drugs in his system and his severe heart condition, I’m merely pointing out that, in my view, these combined factors (along with Floyd’s highly agitated emotional state) were possibly what killed him.
For me, it is highly possible these factors were overlooked or their severity were downplayed in the interest of mollifying the black community and avoiding riots.
People have known about this for decades.

1996 they knew the dangers of positional asphyxiation. So while Chauvin was in High School they were training people to take precautions. Why didn’t Chauvin follow the training? Training that had been around since before he got laid for the first time?

Let me ask you this. If Chauvin had followed Procedure and his training. And Floyd died anyway. Do you think Chauvin would have faced charges? I don’t.

As a matter of fact, I think he would have. How that may have played out, I can’t say. But I’m one hundred percent certain there would have been pressure from the black community to charge him with something, anything.

A black man died while in police custody. For many people, this is enough to hang the officer/s.
I think Chauvin would have had an airtight defense. I did what I was supposed to. I did what I was trained to do is an excellent defense.

The Prosecutor would have found it impossible to convict Chauvin.

Not necessarily. I think they still would have wanted to prosecute and they would likely have done so for the same reason they did: asphyxiation.

Conviction or acquittal, they then would have started a campaign to prohibit these forms of officer restraint which, if I’m not mistaken, some are doing now.
When I was a boy. My Father gave me the secret to being a success. He said all I had to do at work was show up when I was supposed to. And do what I was supposed to do.

The Department spent the time to come up with the policy. They spent the money to train the people as to what those policies were. They paid Chauvin to show up and attend the training. They made the training mandatory. They required Chauvin to show up and attend the class.

What more were they supposed to do?

Nothing except maybe fire him or at least do more than slap him on the wrist.

By most accounts, Chauvin should not have been a police officer anymore after the first two or three complaints.
But let’s cover what might have happened. I said that the cross examination of the Defense Expert nailed the lid shut. Let’s see what kind of questions were asked that sealed Chauvin’s fate.

This is the raw video.

Here is the defense expert under cross exam.

So the Defense expert admitted that if Chauvin had done what he was trained to do there was a good possibility that Floyd would be alive.

So take a moment and consider that. The Defense Expert testified that if Chauvin had done what he was trained to do. What he was supposed to do. If Chauvin had then Floyd would probably be alive.

At the same time, if Floyd hadn’t been hopped up on drugs and did not have a severe heart condition, he might still be alive.
Not from the beginning. Just from the point where Floyd lost consciousness and they couldn’t find a pulse. If Chauvin had gotten off then and started to administer CPR. Floyd would probably be alive.

Possibly. But it’s important to note that Floyd didn’t die until later at the hospital.

No. That's not what he said. 😄
Yes, it is. In his autopsy report he wrote that there was no sign of asphyxiation. In a meeting with county attorneys not long after he submitted his autopsy report, he told them he did not think asphyxiation was how Floyd died.

He did rule homicide but he said Floyd died of a heart attack due to the restriction of blood flow.

The independent MEs that were brought in were brought in specifically to look for one thing: ashyxiation due to Chauvin’s knee on Floyd’s neck.

The prosecutors and the Floyd family attorney were not satisfied with Baker’s ruling because they didn’t feel Baker gave any or enough consideration to the force exerted on Floyd’s neck.

So if they were determined to rule death by asphyxiation what do you think they found? Well, they found exactly what they were looking for because it was what they were looking for.

Point is, the prosecutors and independent MEs were not objective.

Yes, it is. In his autopsy report he wrote that there was no sign of asphyxiation. In a meeting with county attorneys not long after he submitted his autopsy report, he told them he did not think asphyxiation was how Floyd died.

He did rule homicide but he said Floyd died of a heart attack due to the restriction of blood flow.

The independent MEs that were brought in were brought in specifically to look for one thing: ashyxiation due to Chauvin’s knee on Floyd’s neck.

The prosecutors and the Floyd family attorney were not satisfied with Baker’s ruling because they didn’t feel Baker gave any or enough consideration to the force exerted on Floyd’s neck.

So if they were determined to rule death by asphyxiation what do you think they found? Well, they found exactly what they were looking for because it was what they were looking for.

Point is, the prosecutors and independent MEs were not objective.
What's did you describe there that wasn't objective other than the families desire?

What's did you describe there that wasn't objective other than the families desire?
That’s it. The family’s looking for evidence of asphyxiation after the county ME reported no sign of asphyxiation shows they were biased and also that they questioned his knowledge and expertise.

For whatever reason (I have my own theory), it wasn’t enough for prosecutors and the Floyd family that the county ME ruled Floyd’s death a homicide. They were intent on proving Floyd died by asphyxiation.

Forum List

Back