Church Attendance Declining

Ok, so that's YOUR measurement for the decline in America. Got it. Is this objective or just according to you, making it subjective?
You are asking me my personal opinion on the matter... So I don't understand why it makes any difference at all. This is the answer you are going to get. Objective or subjective, this is what I think on the matter. Neither one makes what I'm saying less true.

I imagine that we have probably had assholes in our communities since the beginning of mankind. Still looks subjective to me.
Lets be clear on this... Are you promoting or suggesting that what those people did to that man is ok to do? Do you believe they should not have legal repercussions?

You are asking me my personal opinion on the matter... So I don't understand why it makes any difference at all.

Because my point from the beginning has been that the "decline of the country" isn't an objective measurement.

Correlating a decline in church attendance (which can be objectively measured) with a decline in the country (100% subjective) is just self-serving bullshit.

It would be like me arguing that a lower percentage of Christians is correlated with people being more accepting of each other. The percentage of Christians can be objectively measured but how one measures "being accepting" isn't as clear to objectively measure.

Lets be clear on this... Are you promoting or suggesting that what those people did to that man is ok to do? Do you believe they should not have legal repercussions?

Wtf man? Really? Where did this come from? I said no such thing or implied anything close to that. To be clear, absolutely not. What they did is not acceptable to me. See my signature.

Last edited:
You are asking me my personal opinion on the matter... So I don't understand why it makes any difference at all.

Because my point from the beginning has been that the "decline of the country" isn't an objective measurement.

Correlating a decline in church attendance (which can be objectively measured) with a decline in the country (100% subjective) is just self-serving bullshit.
To be fair... The moment Morality was involved it's subjective by default. It's not even an argument.

Wtf man? Really? Where did this come from? I said no such thing or implied anything close to that. To be clear, absolutely not. What they did is not acceptable to me. See my signature.
You called them assholes. And just left it at that as if it's ok to just be an asshole, and that's all they were. Did I misunderstand something?

To be fair... The moment Morality was involved it's subjective by default. It's not even an argument.

I agree.

You called them assholes. And just left it at that as if it's ok to just be an asshole. Did I misunderstand something?

I didn't say it's ok to be an asshole. I was saying that it's silly to argue that the country is declining because of some assholes. Assholes have existed since the beginning of mankind and assholes will continue to exist long after you and I are gone.

The level of assholery over time can not be objectively measured. Therefore, an objective argument correlating a decline in church attendance to a rise in asholery can not be done.

I didn't say it's ok to be an asshole. I was saying that it's silly to argue that the country is declining because of some assholes. Assholes have existed since the beginning of mankind and assholes will continue to exist long after you and I are gone.
I agree with what you are saying.... Kind of. I do think it's OK to be an asshole. You can do that without breaking the law.

The level of assholery over time can not be objectively measured. Therefore, an objective argument correlating a decline in church attendance to a rise in asholery can not be done.
I don't even want to try to correlate Church attendance to anything other than to say this... I will not now, nor will I ever actively try to degrade someone over their religion. It's too personal of a thing. For me it would be the same thing as degrading someone for their sexuality. I won't do it.

With that said...

I would much rather deal with an asshole God fearing person whose opinions I believe are wrong in many cases... Over people actually infringing on other peoples freedoms to the point that they should be jailed.

I agree with what you are saying.... Kind of. I do think it's OK to be an asshole. You can do that without breaking the law.

I don't even want to try to correlate Church attendance to anything other than to say this... I will not now, nor will I ever actively try to degrade someone over their religion. It's too personal of a thing. For me it would be the same thing as degrading someone for their sexuality. I won't do it.

With that said...

I would much rather deal with an asshole God fearing person whose opinions I believe are wrong in many cases... Over people actually infringing on other peoples freedoms to the point that they should be jailed.

No disagreement there. People have the right to be an asshole. People don’t have the right to be a law-breaking asshole. Both have existed for generations and both will continue to exist.

As far as the correlating goes, I was responding to what another poster had said.

“Notice how the decline of the church and the decline of the country seem to be happening at the same time. Coincidence?”

I was just responding to their (subjective) claim.

With that said...

No disagreement there. People have the right to be an asshole. People don’t have the right to be a law-breaking asshole. Both have existed for generations and both will continue to exist.

As far as the correlating goes, I was responding to what another poster had said.

“Notice how the decline of the church and the decline of the country seem to be happening at the same time. Coincidence?”

I was just responding to their (subjective) claim.
Well met.

There's no point in going to church anymore when the priest or pastor gives boring sermons during which he tells us to be nice to people.

There's no point in going to church anymore when the priest or pastor gives boring sermons during which he tells us to be nice to people.

You want to be entertained? Can church compete with your favorite TV shows?

Yea. Christianity isn’t about being nice to people.
It isn't. Sometimes being nice to someone is not the best thing you can do in the circumstances.

I present Christianity to everyone.
Christianity isn't about going along to get along, that's what I'm saying.

If everyone you know likes you, you aren't being a good Christian.

It isn't. Sometimes being nice to someone is not the best thing you can do in the circumstances.

Judge not lest ye be judged. You have no authority over other adults.
That's the only teaching of Jesus that so many people know.

Judge not lest ye be judged. You have no authority over other adults.
That's the only teaching of Jesus that so many people know.

That's probably true.. Its said that 90% of fundamentalists and evangelicals have never read the Bible all the way through.

“U.S. church membership has fallen below 50% for the first time, according to a Gallup poll published Monday, continuing a decades-long decline in membership driven by growing numbers of Americans who express no religious affiliation.”

People who attend church has steadily declined as the number of non-religious has continued to grow.

Christians can’t be happy with this. Our country is rapidly becoming more secular.

What do Christians think about this? Why is your religion dwindling away?
People are probably paying attention to how their church spend s their money. I joined a board where I saw the Financials and it upset me I switched churches. Did not feel immediately accepted at new church and started to realize a personal relationship with my lord was a better route. One can study the Bible and have a personal relationship on their own. Also did not appreciate some of the hypocrisy I was witnessing. I tend to walk the walk but not talk the talk much. I guess I am over hearing other people's versions of religion and would rather rely on my own understanding. Also did not enjoy seeing some of the people who worship Jack Daniel's on Friday and the lord on Sundays acting pius.

“U.S. church membership has fallen below 50% for the first time, according to a Gallup poll published Monday, continuing a decades-long decline in membership driven by growing numbers of Americans who express no religious affiliation.”

People who attend church has steadily declined as the number of non-religious has continued to grow.

Christians can’t be happy with this. Our country is rapidly becoming more secular.

People are probably paying attention to how their church spend s their money. I joined a board where I saw the Financials and it upset me I switched churches. Did not feel immediately accepted at new church and started to realize a personal relationship with my lord was a better route. One can study the Bible and have a personal relationship on their own. Also did not appreciate some of the hypocrisy I was witnessing. I tend to walk the walk but not talk the talk much. I guess I am over hearing other people's versions of religion and would rather rely on my own understanding. Also did not enjoy seeing some of the people who worship Jack Daniel's on Friday and the lord on Sundays acting pius.

That’s interesting.

I’m curious as to what you saw with the financials.

Did you ever hear the story about the man whose horse ran off? And all the village people said, oh, what bad luck. And the man said, good luck, bad luck, who knows? Do you know that story?

Forum List

Back