Church Attendance Declining

“U.S. church membership has fallen below 50% for the first time, according to a Gallup poll published Monday, continuing a decades-long decline in membership driven by growing numbers of Americans who express no religious affiliation.”

People who attend church has steadily declined as the number of non-religious has continued to grow.

Christians can’t be happy with this. Our country is rapidly becoming more secular.

What do Christians think about this? Why is your religion dwindling away?
Did you ever hear the story about the man whose horse ran off? And all the village people said, oh, what bad luck. And the man said, good luck, bad luck, who knows? Do you know that story?

So you have no opinion on if it's good or bad that Christianity is declining.

Is that accurate?

“U.S. church membership has fallen below 50% for the first time, according to a Gallup poll published Monday, continuing a decades-long decline in membership driven by growing numbers of Americans who express no religious affiliation.”

People who attend church has steadily declined as the number of non-religious has continued to grow.

Christians can’t be happy with this. Our country is rapidly becoming more secular.

Did you ever hear the story about the man whose horse ran off? And all the village people said, oh, what bad luck. And the man said, good luck, bad luck, who knows? Do you know that story?

Is that accurate?
Not exactly. Do you know the story I referenced?

Is that accurate?

It sounds like the moral of the story is that we don't know if it's good luck or bad luck.

If that's not the point of the story, then what is?

Is that accurate?

It sounds like the moral of the story is that we don't know if it's good luck or bad luck.

Exactly. The story goes back and forth with things that are apparently bad or good from the perspective his neighbors. The horse came back with herd of wild horses; good luck. The son breaks his arm trying to break the horses; bad luck. The army comes to the village to conscript the young men and the son is not taken because of the broken arm; good luck. But the wise man never wavered in his response; good luck bad luck who knows.

Nothing is as it seems.

Is that accurate?

Exactly. The story goes back and forth with things that are apparently bad or good from the perspective his neighbors. The horse came back with herd of wild horses; good luck. The son breaks his arm trying to break the horses; bad luck. The army comes to the village to conscript the young men and the son is not taken because of the broken arm; good luck. But the wise man never wavered in his response; good luck bad luck who knows.

Nothing is as it seems.

Then how exactly is "So you have no opinion on if it's good or bad that Christianity is declining" not exactly accurate?

What did I miss?

Is that accurate?

Nothing is as it seems.

Then how exactly is "So you have no opinion on if it's good or bad that Christianity is declining" not exactly accurate?

What did I miss?
What you missed is that there is a self compensating feature at work. You are a linear thinker in a cyclical world.

Do you know what normalization of deviance is? It's probably not what you think.

Is that accurate?

Nothing is as it seems.

What did I miss?
What you missed is that there is a self compensating feature at work. You are a linear thinker in a cyclical world.

Do you know what normalization of deviance is? It's probably not what you think.

Not very helpful. I think I got it the first time.

Thanks anyway.

Is that accurate?

Nothing is as it seems.

What did I miss?

Thanks anyway.
Are you kidding? The concept of normalization of deviance may be one of the most important concepts there is. That and locus of control. Those two concepts explain almost everything we see when it comes to people and consequences of decisions and behaviors.

It's kind of hard to tell what your motivation is for this thread but Christianity is the fastest growing religion in China and it is growing for good reasons. So if someone were to say to me that it's bad luck that Christianity is declining in America, I'd say bad luck good luck who knows. But I am confident that everything is happening for good reason and that ultimately everything will work itself out for good reason. I just believe it is cyclical and not linear. If everything were linear history wouldn't repeat.

People are probably paying attention to how their church spend s their money. I joined a board where I saw the Financials and it upset me I switched churches. Did not feel immediately accepted at new church and started to realize a personal relationship with my lord was a better route. One can study the Bible and have a personal relationship on their own. Also did not appreciate some of the hypocrisy I was witnessing. I tend to walk the walk but not talk the talk much. I guess I am over hearing other people's versions of religion and would rather rely on my own understanding. Also did not enjoy seeing some of the people who worship Jack Daniel's on Friday and the lord on Sundays acting pius.

That’s interesting.

I’m curious as to what you saw with the financials.
Well one thing that angered me was a million dollars to move where the choir was they moved it it did not like it and spent another million. Also did not care for some of their investments like in chakita banana.

Is that accurate?

Nothing is as it seems.

What did I miss?

Thanks anyway.
Are you kidding? The concept of normalization of deviance may be one of the most important concepts there is. That and locus of control. Those two concepts explain almost everything we see when it comes to people and consequences of decisions and behaviors.

It's kind of hard to tell what your motivation is for this thread but Christianity is the fastest growing religion in China and it is growing for good reasons. So if someone were to say to me that it's bad luck that Christianity is declining in America, I'd say bad luck good luck who knows. But I am confident that everything is happening for good reason and that ultimately everything will work itself out for good reason. I just believe it is cyclical and not linear. If everything were linear history wouldn't repeat.
I don't agree with everything you said... But I do appreciate thinkers.

Well one thing that angered me was a million dollars to move where the choir was they moved it it did not like it and spent another million. Also did not care for some of their investments like in chakita banana.

Wow. There are so many things that kind of money could have been used for in order to actually help people in need.

Is that accurate?

Nothing is as it seems.

What did I miss?

Deviance has been around since the dawn of man.

Is that accurate?

Nothing is as it seems.

What did I miss?

Don't assume you know what I meant.

Is that accurate?

Nothing is as it seems.

What did I miss?

You have a problem with communication?

Is that accurate?

Nothing is as it seems.

What did I miss?

You have a problem with communication?
No. I have noticed you have a problem with making assumptions without knowing the facts.

Wow. There are so many things that kind of money could have been used for in order to actually help people in need.
Now I am starting to feel bad for not giving everything away.

I think everything is in decline. People just like to take it easy... Why Is Game Attendance Declining When Fans Are Becoming Super Fans?

I agree with the article that people are more inclined to watch sports on tv or online. Without considering covid, people are still interested in sports but they're just doing it in different ways.

I'm not sure how that translates to Christianity.

The data shows that people are not attending church and that people are turning away from Christianity as well.

Forum List

Back