Buy A Gas Stove And Water Heater While You Can

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Today, 99 U.S. cities and counties now have some form of building decarbonization ordinance in place, according to a tracker from the nonprofit Building Decarbonization Coalition. Eighty-two of them require electric appliances—often including stoves, but sometimes limited to heaters—in new buildings. Others require “electric readiness,” so a house or apartment could easily switch to equipment like an induction stove in the future.

When the power goes out during a deep freeze, those idiots won't have hot water or be able to cook their food.

If you have a gas hot water heater, your neighbors will be pounding on your front door to ask to take a shower.

I bet a lot of cities and counties are going through this right now.

Cigarette smugglers will probably start smuggling water heaters and stoves across state lines for a lot more profit.

Today, 99 U.S. cities and counties now have some form of building decarbonization ordinance in place, according to a tracker from the nonprofit Building Decarbonization Coalition. Eighty-two of them require electric appliances—often including stoves, but sometimes limited to heaters—in new buildings. Others require “electric readiness,” so a house or apartment could easily switch to equipment like an induction stove in the future.

When the power goes out during a deep freeze, those idiots won't have hot water or be able to cook their food.

If you have a gas hot water heater, your neighbors will be pounding on your front door to ask to take a shower.

Cigarette smugglers will probably start smuggling water heaters and stoves across state lines for a lot more profit.
I have to admit that the left are onto something here along with their other policies. They are driving people out of the city and out of blue states, making life easier for them in the long run in variety of ways. The mass exodus will eventually lead to cheaper housing and other costs in these areas. However, in the short term, it increases homelessness.

My stove and hot water heater run off of gas. I used to have a clothes dryer that ran on gas, and I mistakenly replaced it with an electric dryer. Gas appliances are always better, IMHO.

I learned a few years ago, that in California, at least, gas appliances are no longer allowed to have traditional pilot lights. New gas appliances must have electrical igniters.

This came up when a friend of mine in an area that was affected by the PG&E shutoffs a few years back was boasting that her husband had found a way to power their water heater's ignition from their Tesla, so that they could have hot water, even during an electrical power outage. But without such hackery, even a gas-powered water heater, if it is a modern one, becomes useless without electrical power.

Not really, I don't need to light a pilot light anymore.
I have not had to light a pilot light on my stove or water heater since I can't remember when.

A decade, maybe.

Just ask the residents Merrimack Valley, MA how safe gas appliances are! 50,000 residents were suddenly homeless, injured or dead. They were evacuated, or their homes, damaged, destroyed or they were killed by their gas appliances in minutes on Sept 13, 2018 due to a gas line pressure surge.

Just ask the residents Merrimack Valley, MA how safe gas appliances are! 50,000 residents were suddenly homeless, injured or dead. They were evacuated, or their homes, damaged, destroyed or they were killed by their gas appliances in minutes on Sept 13, 2018 due to a gas line pressure surge.

I wonder how statistics regarding deaths, injuries, and property damage from causes related to the use of natural gas compare to statistics of similar harm from causes related to electrical power.

Both are forms of energy, used in significant amounts to make a modern household function, and wherever such amounts of energy are present in any form, there is certainly a possibility that that energy can run amok, and cause great harm. As an electrician, I have some awareness of the harm that electrical power can cause, if it goes astray.

Gas would be another trade's problems. I don't know what sort of issues could cause a sudden overpressure condition in the gas mains, to result in a disaster such as you depict, or what standards are in place to prevent it; but a similar issue could easily arise from lighting striking a part of the electrical power distribution system, causing a serious overvoltage condition which I can easily imaging leading to similar results.

Forum List

Back