US plans water heater standards, says they will "save" consumers $11 billion

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
WASHINGTON, July 21 (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Energy on Friday proposed energy efficiency standards on water heaters it said would save consumers $11.4 billion on energy and water bills annually.

The standards on residential water heater efficiency, which are required by Congress, have not been updated in 13 years. Water heating is responsible for roughly 13% of both annual residential energy use and consumer utility costs, the DOE said.

The proposal would require the most common-sized electric water heaters to achieve efficiency gains with heat pump technology and gas-fired water heaters to achieve efficiency gains through condensing technology.

The standards, to take effect in 2029 if finalized, are expected to save nearly $200 billion and reduce more than 500 million metric tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions over 30 years, about equal to the combined annual emissions of 63 million homes, or approximately 50% of homes in the United States, the DOE said.

Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said the proposal "builds on the unprecedented actions already taken by this administration to lower energy costs for working families."

A group including water heater maker Rheem, environmental group Natural Resources Defense Council and efficiency and consumer advocacy organizations issued a joint statement welcoming the new standards.

Oh shit, the dreaded "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".....Is there anything that the enviro-wackos won't come after?

So water heaters will now cost $5000 each installed to meet .gov regulations? I guess we are supposed to enjoy our -400% "savings"?

I guess I need to go ahead and get me a "pre-ban" water heater as mine, while working just fine, is nearing the end of it's life span.

Last edited:
Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said the proposal "builds on the unprecedented actions already taken by this administration to lower energy costs for working families."
This lying scum seems to think Americans are so stupid they can't do basic math.

If you don't have a tankless water heater, you are behind the curve.

First they came for your lightbulbs, now they come for your water heaters. Oh the humanity!
We put one in a couple of years back and while they provide basically endless streams of hot water, they also require running the tap for up to a couple of minutes - in winter - to finally reach the point where the water gets heated. If you're going to take a shower it isn't that much of an inconvenience but it sucks for handwashing in the winter.

We put one in a couple of years back and while they provide basically endless streams of hot water, they also require running the tap for up to a couple of minutes - in winter - to finally reach the point where the water gets heated. If you're going to take a shower it isn't that much of an inconvenience but it sucks for handwashing in the winter.
Well I suspect they will "redefine" what hot water is to anything above 32 degrees. ;)

And there you go. If it was required then you would also have to install a water softener and the ongoing costs associated with it.
Not all regions have such hard water. However, I have heard good reports even from areas that have hard water. What is needed is to perfect the electric undersink 'point-of-use' tankless heaters. Solar is a good option where feasible as well. Prewarming tanks are helpful as well. Water comes in from the main very cold in the winter, and pretty cool in the summer. A bare tank or other setup installed before the water heater tempers the water temperature so it enters the heater pre-warmed.

Where I live the water comes in near freezing in the winter, as low as 35 degrees. Ambient temperature in modern basements is around 70 degrees. That means water could be tempered by 35 degrees at no cost with a tempering setup.

WASHINGTON, July 21 (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Energy on Friday proposed energy efficiency standards on water heaters it said would save consumers $11.4 billion on energy and water bills annually.

The standards on residential water heater efficiency, which are required by Congress, have not been updated in 13 years. Water heating is responsible for roughly 13% of both annual residential energy use and consumer utility costs, the DOE said.

The proposal would require the most common-sized electric water heaters to achieve efficiency gains with heat pump technology and gas-fired water heaters to achieve efficiency gains through condensing technology.

The standards, to take effect in 2029 if finalized, are expected to save nearly $200 billion and reduce more than 500 million metric tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions over 30 years, about equal to the combined annual emissions of 63 million homes, or approximately 50% of homes in the United States, the DOE said.

A group including water heater maker Rheem, environmental group Natural Resources Defense Council and efficiency and consumer advocacy organizations issued a joint statement welcoming the new standards.

Oh shit, the dreaded "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".....Is there anything that the enviro-wackos won't come after?

So water heaters will now cost $5000 each installed to meet .gov regulations? I guess we are supposed to enjoy our -400% "savings"?

I guess I need to go ahead and get me a "pre-ban" water heater as mine, while working just fine, is nearing the end of it's life span.
Why is congress/EPA & g'ment inside our homes??? Will they next be inside our bedrooms to, U know, make sure we are politically correct in our wokeness?

Why is congress/EPA & g'ment inside our homes??? Will they next be inside our bedrooms to, U know, make sure we are politically correct in our wokeness?
If there weren't building codes people would be living in cardboard shacks (figuratively speaking of course). Homes and other buildings should be assessed and upgraded to the new insulation standards, at the very least.

Electric hot water heaters are already over 90% efficient. They need no improvement.

Heat pump water heaters extract heat from the air in your house, and dump cold air into your house. Your HVAC then has to work extra hard to heat in the Winter. They are nosy, like a window air conditioner (also a heat pump). They don't last long, and add tremendous cost. They are also huge, so if your hot water heater has a tight fit, you'll probably have some remodeling costs too.

If this was a good idea, there would be no need to mandate it. Fact is. it's a terrible idea, and that's why he wants to force people to do it.

PS: If you replace your anode in your hot water heater regularly (I do mine every six years), you may be able to keep your old hot water heater indefinitely. Mine is 24 years old and works great.

Electric hot water heaters are already over 90% efficient. They need no improvement.
They use a lot of gas keeping 60 gallons of water over 120 degrees, 24 hours a day. My water heater only heats the water when I turn on the tap, the rest of the time, no natural gas or electricity is spent keeping a tank of water hot.

I have very hard water and have never had a water softener. My tankless works amazingly well, and if I want to take a shower for an hour, I'll never run out of hot water,

'Standby heat losses' waste energy.

Yes, that is where the small losses come from. Hot water heaters are not perfectly insulated, so they lose a little heat.

It's pretty trivial. If I touch my hot water heater, it does not feel warm. The hot water pipe leaving the heater is the main source of heat loss.

Heat pump water heaters do exactly the same thing, and that is what this thread is about.

They use a lot of gas keeping 60 gallons of water over 120 degrees, 24 hours a day. My water heater only heats the water when I turn on the tap, the rest of the time, no natural gas or electricity is spent keeping a tank of water hot.

I have very hard water and have never had a water softener. My tankless works amazingly well, and if I want to take a shower for an hour, I'll never run out of hot water,
I said electric hot water heaters are about 90% efficient.

There is no need to ban them.

Gas hot water heaters are about 50-70% efficient. Gas is plentiful and cheap and a great source for heating. No need to ban them either for the sake of some Climate God.

This thread is not about tankless water heaters, it's about Biden requiring heat pumps on electric heaters or condensing technology for existing gas heaters, including tankless ones.

Official announcement from the Regime...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back