Adapting Infrastructure to Rising Sea Levels

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
South Florida Adapting Infrastructure to Rising Sea Levels | Popular Science

Updates for climate change resilience may allow communities like Miami Beach to survive the century, but they're costing millions of dollars ...

In South Florida, more frequent and destructive flooding due to climate change has become a serious problem. This March 19 report by the PBS News Hour and WPBT looks at how communities like Miami Beach and Broward County are trying to adapt their physical systems to stand up to the new reality.

The drainage infrastructure on the Florida coast has relied upon gravity to draw rainfall runoff from higher canal levels to lower sea level, according to the report. But warming temperatures are raising sea level too high for these systems to work, by expanding the size of water molecules at the ocean's surface, while also melting glaciers that historically kept much of the world's fresh water locked away from the ocean. Climate change is also causing briefer but torrential rainfalls, creating more runoff than the drainage systems were built to handle all at once.

The first words in the segment, spoken by fishing boat captain and Florida native Dan Kipness, set a pragmatic tone. “Captains are used to looking at the ocean," says Kipness,

If you look at it long enough — and I have had enough time to look at it — you can see small changes turn into big changes over a period of time. You’re going to see water coming out of Biscayne Bay, up the storm sewers, and onto the streets until it’s about a foot deep.

“And that’s not freshwater. That’s saltwater. There’s no rain. There’s not a cloud in the sky.

Video at the link.

We're spending money on the wrong things.

South Florida Adapting Infrastructure to Rising Sea Levels | Popular Science

Updates for climate change resilience may allow communities like Miami Beach to survive the century, but they're costing millions of dollars ...

In South Florida, more frequent and destructive flooding due to climate change has become a serious problem. This March 19 report by the PBS News Hour and WPBT looks at how communities like Miami Beach and Broward County are trying to adapt their physical systems to stand up to the new reality.

The drainage infrastructure on the Florida coast has relied upon gravity to draw rainfall runoff from higher canal levels to lower sea level, according to the report. But warming temperatures are raising sea level too high for these systems to work, by expanding the size of water molecules at the ocean's surface, while also melting glaciers that historically kept much of the world's fresh water locked away from the ocean. Climate change is also causing briefer but torrential rainfalls, creating more runoff than the drainage systems were built to handle all at once.

The first words in the segment, spoken by fishing boat captain and Florida native Dan Kipness, set a pragmatic tone. “Captains are used to looking at the ocean," says Kipness,

If you look at it long enough — and I have had enough time to look at it — you can see small changes turn into big changes over a period of time. You’re going to see water coming out of Biscayne Bay, up the storm sewers, and onto the streets until it’s about a foot deep.

“And that’s not freshwater. That’s saltwater. There’s no rain. There’s not a cloud in the sky.

Video at the link.

warming temperatures are raising sea level too high for these systems to work, by expanding the size of water molecules at the ocean's surface

Really? The water molecules get bigger?

No kidding. We need to spend less on queer studies and more on the hard sciences.

sea-level-tidal-satellite.jpg

sea-level-satellite.jpg

You don't think low-lying coastal communities with large fresh water inputs should be concerned about this trend?

Glad you've got nothing to do with the management of my area.

sea-level-satellite.jpg

You don't think low-lying coastal communities with large fresh water inputs should be concerned about this trend?

The first graph is bogus because you don't combine two types of measurements in the same graph, especially when one measurement type is used in the beginning and another is used at the end. That's exactly the type of bogus charting that Michael Mann used to "hide the decline" on his infamous and fraudulent Hockey Stick graph.

Without combining the two measurement types, both graphs would show a straight line progression. In other words, they would show no evidence of any changes caused by man made global warming.

The AGW cult is constantly resorting to tricks and manipulations like the above. That's why no one with an ounce of sense would ever trust a thing they say.

Last edited:

sea-level-satellite.jpg

Are those proof that "warming temperatures are raising sea level too high for these systems to work, by expanding the size of water molecules at the ocean's surface"

These data are evidence that sea level is rising. They are not evidence - and were not presented as evidence - that our rising sea levels are due to human activities.

Now then, when you say "they would show a straight line progression", do you mean to say the rise would be more consistent over time or that there would be no rise?

sea-level-satellite.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sea-level-satellite.jpg

Japan

japan4.jpg

Cuba

under-water-city-near-cuba.jpg

Ice has been melting and the water level has been rising for the past 14,000 years

These data are evidence that sea level is rising. They are not evidence - and were not presented as evidence - that our rising sea levels are due to human activities.

Now then, when you say "they would show a straight line progression", do you mean to say the rise would be more consistent over time or that there would be no rise?

I'm still curious as to what you meant.

japan4.jpg

Cuba

under-water-city-near-cuba.jpg

Ice has been melting and the water level has been rising for the past 14,000 years

The RabbitHole.com and the News of Costa Rica? Frank, hasn't it ever occurred to you that sites like this might not be the best place to get accurate scientific information? For god's sake, Frank, this is complete nonsense.

It's pictures you fucking moron.

The structures are still underwater no matter where I got the images from

Noah's Flood? And you want to call me a "fucking retard"? Very impressive Frank, VERY impressive.

Well, National Geographic is better than a conspiracy site like The Rabbit Hole. But you've got proof of nothing.

There are perfectly good paleo records of sea levels if you had any interest in accurate information. Here. It goes back that far, it shows that sea level has been rising and it was actually put together by qualified scientists.

Post-Glacial_Sea_Level.png

Amazing, huh?

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that the earliest human cultures that built stone structures don't even make it past that turn at about 7900 year BP. Between then and now sea level hasn't come up 2 meters.

The chart represents an 8-33/64 inch rise in one hundred years. The duration of the time of the chart is 140 years during which the rise shown was about 1/8" less than a foot. The slope of the line is consistent on a linear scale.

The wisest thing to do would be to adapt to the change over time, not to destroy a world economy tilting at windmills.

And who suggested destroying the world's economy? My point would be that global warming is going to have some SERIOUS impact on us and our economy. Pretending that it isn't happening or that it won't hurt us helps no one save the exceptionally short-sighted.

Forum List

Back