White privilege

I am White. Agnostic, lower class and decidedly lower income. Not wealthy. I live with and among poor unwashed. I don't like it when wealthy white elitists FORCE illegal immigrants on the rest of us in the name of egalitarianism, especially when these same blowhards just exploit them for money. How humanitarian. Please. Rich white folks hate Mexicans whether they are liberal or conservative, only liberals pretend not to. They exploit them just the same.

Both din and MizMolly are taking a pragmatic approach which I totally agree with if I was teaching, mentoring, or working with an individual who was using "white privilege" as an excuse for inaction. But I do not see how you can look at history and deny the effects that our nations oppression of black people has had on that group and the lingering effects that still exist in todays society. Try and look at it from a historical/sociological/intellectual stand point. I am not advocating the use of "white privilege" as a justification for blacks to think they are owed something or to use as an excuse to not strive for success. But I also don't see the point in denying the obvious existence of a trickle down disadvantage that is still lingering from our history. Whether it be current racial discrimination, increased poverty rates, welfare dependency, cultural mindset etc etc etc.

We can have a different discussion about political solutions, messaging, and education initiatives. But lets not shake our heads and deny historical and sociological "cause and effects" and the reality of the world that we live in. We can all start off on the same page of understanding and acknowledging reality... then use empathy and productive education to push a message towards success for those that need it.
The problem is that the "white privilege" argument has kept them down because it has been and is being used as an excuse.
I agree and I recognize the damage being cause by people who use it as an excuse. I also don't support it being used as an excuse. But dismissing the validity of the arguement and saying that it does not exist is not being honest.

If a 5 foot 5 guy wants to be In the NFL, I'm gonna tell him he needs to work harder than everybody else. I'm not going to deny the fact that he is small. It's not the most accurate analogy because white privilege is more of a general sociological thing rather than a specific thing that applies to every black person. On an individual level I dont think it holds up as much
And yet as a group they have underperformed, right? Why?
For the many reasons I listed. A larger majority of black youth are being raised in poverty by single mothers in high crime areas, very few aspire to go to the college that their fathers and grandfathers attended, or will take over the family business. Instead they are trying to stay out of gangs and dealing with a heap of other issues that a majority of white kids don't deal with. Whites in this country had 200 years and generations to achieve wealth and power and build upon their culture. Meanwhile blacks were slaves and then 3rd class citizens who didn't even have the right to vote until the 1960s. The laws have now been changed and more opportunities exist, but there are lasting effects that the black community has felt and is continuing to feel from past generations. For us to turn a blind eye to all that and say it has no effect just isn't being honest
So basically you are saying they have been held back because they were victims, right?
In a sense, but that is a very simple characteristic of what I said that doesn't include the context or examples that I explained. Why do you think the group has "underperformed"?

I am White. Agnostic, lower class and decidedly lower income. Not wealthy. I live with and among poor unwashed. I don't like it when wealthy white elitists FORCE illegal immigrants on the rest of us in the name of egalitarianism, especially when these same blowhards just exploit them for money. How humanitarian. Please. Rich white folks hate Mexicans whether they are liberal or conservative, only liberals pretend not to. They exploit them just the same.
I find it funny that you claim to know how an entire group "rich white folks" feel about Mexicans. The fact you you just stated that they all hate them is laughable. Do you actually think you are making a rational point? It's not even close to believable.

The problem is that the "white privilege" argument has kept them down because it has been and is being used as an excuse.
I agree and I recognize the damage being cause by people who use it as an excuse. I also don't support it being used as an excuse. But dismissing the validity of the arguement and saying that it does not exist is not being honest.

If a 5 foot 5 guy wants to be In the NFL, I'm gonna tell him he needs to work harder than everybody else. I'm not going to deny the fact that he is small. It's not the most accurate analogy because white privilege is more of a general sociological thing rather than a specific thing that applies to every black person. On an individual level I dont think it holds up as much
For the many reasons I listed. A larger majority of black youth are being raised in poverty by single mothers in high crime areas, very few aspire to go to the college that their fathers and grandfathers attended, or will take over the family business. Instead they are trying to stay out of gangs and dealing with a heap of other issues that a majority of white kids don't deal with. Whites in this country had 200 years and generations to achieve wealth and power and build upon their culture. Meanwhile blacks were slaves and then 3rd class citizens who didn't even have the right to vote until the 1960s. The laws have now been changed and more opportunities exist, but there are lasting effects that the black community has felt and is continuing to feel from past generations. For us to turn a blind eye to all that and say it has no effect just isn't being honest
So basically you are saying they have been held back because they were victims, right?
In a sense, but that is a very simple characteristic of what I said that doesn't include the context or examples that I explained. Why do you think the group has "underperformed"?
Why does the context matter if the end result is the same. You believe they are trapped in poverty because they are victims through no fault of their own.

Are you telling me that you don't believe that as a whole they have underperformed? Isn't it your contention that they are being held back? How can they have been held back if you don't believe their outcomes have been less than what they should have been?

[. Why do you think the group has "underperformed"?

Lack of regard for education -I/e/ those who seek to better themselves are "Uncle Toms"

Irresponsible parenting -- I/e/ baby Mommas and Baby Daddies.

Failure to take personal responsibility at all levels -- "It's white privilege!"

Poor attitude/ Racism -- The best way to get a job is to show up with a whole lotta tude!

There are many more, but you simply refuse to accept them.

How is it that Asians can arrive here dirt poor, but show such upward mobility? How come blacks have had two or almost three generations of affirmative action giving them special privilege over whites and Asians, but have not capitalized upon it?

You are dispensing all sorts of dogma, but you aren't really thinking.

I find it funny that you claim to know how an entire group "rich white folks" feel about Mexicans. The fact you you just stated that they all hate them is laughable. Do you actually think you are making a rational point? It's not even close to believable.
Actually I didn't claim anything, you presumed that. I see how I have been treated. I lost my job to illegal aliens, It's my fault I wasn't born rich well educated ad nauseum. Hence all illegal aliens are always victims all the time. They despise poor whites that lose jobs to uneducated illegal foreign workers, because they (rich white elitists) are insulated from the effects of their elitism. In effect, they despise ALL poor people and especially those that they can manipulate. Liberals HATE Hispanic illegal aliens. They don't see illegals or poor or blacks as equals, just as something to exploit. For money or votes. Liberals are just cynical pandering jerks. Machiavellian. Who do they care who they hurt?

Why does the context matter if the end result is the same. You believe they are trapped in poverty because they are victims through no fault of their own.

Are you telling me that you don't believe that as a whole they have underperformed? Isn't it your contention that they are being held back? How can they have been held back if you don't believe their outcomes have been less than what they should have been?
Reread our conversation, I feel like you are changing the narrative of what we were talking about. I don't think "underperformed" is a good word to use and its not one that i'd use. There are many problems in the black community and I laid out what many of them are, i've also expressed my opinion about the importance of personal responsibility. I feel like we are starting to go in circles with this conversation

Actually I didn't claim anything, you presumed that. I see how I have been treated. I lost my job to illegal aliens, It's my fault I wasn't born rich well educated ad nauseum. Hence all illegal aliens are always victims all the time. They despise poor whites that lose jobs to uneducated illegal foreign workers, because they (rich white elitists) are insulated from the effects of their elitism. In effect, they despise ALL poor people and especially those that they can manipulate. Liberals HATE Hispanic illegal aliens. They don't see illegals or poor or blacks as equals, just as something to exploit. For money or votes. Liberals are just cynical pandering jerks. Machiavellian. Who do they care who they hurt?
haha, you start by saying you didn't claim anything and that i presumed it and then you follow to proclaim the same things in your previous post with even more ridiculousness... Thanks for the laugh.

Sorry you lost your job.

It is something else to say that liberals generalize poor whites as under performers, then bash them as such, then excuse that for employing EVEN MORE poor under preforming Mexican illegals and pretending exploiting them is a some new found virtue? Really? Since WHEN did this happen? Did Libs suddenly grow a conscience or something?

Last edited:

I think i've been pretty clear, i'm not sure what you are confused about. I think because of our countries history of oppression towards blacks (also women but that is a different conversation) they as a group have been put at a disadvantage. They do not enjoy the luxury of generations of power, higher education, and wealth. They as a whole they are in a tougher socioeconomic situation, do you deny that? They deal with a higher percentage of crime, welfare, broken families, drug use and poor education. So let me try a different approach and ask you a few questions. Please just give direct answers:

Generally speaking take a Black and White kid:
1. Which do you think has a better chance to go to college?
2. Which do you think has the higher chance for success (measured in income potential)?

Take a rich and poor kid:
2. Which do you think has the higher chance for success (measured in income potential)?

Take the black and white population:
1. Which group do you think has a higher medium income? Why?

I think i've been pretty clear, i'm not sure what you are confused about. I think because of our countries history of oppression towards blacks (also women but that is a different conversation) they as a group have been put at a disadvantage. They do not enjoy the luxury of generations of power, higher education, and wealth. They as a whole they are in a tougher socioeconomic situation, do you deny that? They deal with a higher percentage of crime, welfare, broken families, drug use and poor education. So let me try a different approach and ask you a few questions. Please just give direct answers:

It depends on the kid. Why would you sell anyone short?

See, again you are talking about individuals while I am talking about a group. There are statistics that can answer the questions, which you dodged. Statistically, the answers are White, White, Rich, Rich, White. I think you know that... Its fine and dandy to teach everybody that the skys the limit, and I think that is true for everybody in our country. But you are being willfully ignorant if you don't look at the numbers and try to understand socioeconomic factors that effect different groups in our country.

See, again you are talking about individuals while I am talking about a group. There are statistics that can answer the questions, which you dodged. Statistically, the answers are White, White, Rich, Rich, White. I think you know that... Its fine and dandy to teach everybody that the skys the limit, and I think that is true for everybody in our country. But you are being willfully ignorant if you don't look at the numbers and try to understand socioeconomic factors that effect different groups in our country.
Yes, I am talking about individuals. Groups are the sum of individuals. If you want the group to change, you must change individuals. As a group Black American individuals are underperforming and the root cause is behaviors. MLK knew this.

“Some Things We Must Do,” Address Delivered at the 2nd Annual Institute on Nonviolence

Yes, I am talking about individuals. Groups are the sum of individuals. If you want the group to change, you must change individuals. As a group Black American individuals are underperforming and the root cause is behaviors. MLK knew this.

“Some Things We Must Do,” Address Delivered at the 2nd Annual Institute on Nonviolence
Why is the group underperforming?

Because the majority of its individuals have normalized their deviances and are suffering the predictable surprises of doing so.

Because the majority of its individuals have normalized their deviances and are suffering the predictable surprises of doing so.
Why have a majority of black individuals normalized their deviances? And how did this mindset spread to the majority?

Why have a majority of black individuals normalized their deviances? And how did this mindset spread to the majority?
Typically normalization of deviance occurs during times of stress, but not always. How did it spread to the majority? Well, in part it was done because they bought into the victim narrative that you seem to have bought into.

Typically normalization of deviance occurs during times of stress, but not always. How did it spread to the majority? Well, in part it was done because they bought into the victim narrative that you seem to have bought into.
So you think people like me who acknowledge challenges that have been created by an oppressive history have spread that message throughout the black community, and it's that message that has made them feel like entitled victims? And you think that is the primary cause for their "normalization of deviance"?

Did I get that right?

Forum List

Back