White privilege

I'm not arguing racism doesn't exist. I am arguing it is not as bad as you think. You seem to be focusing on the bad and ignoring the good. The isolated incidents that you focus on are exactly that... isolated. There are more than 300 million people who live in this country. However many racist events you think there are on a daily basis, you need to subtract that number from 300 million to see how many racist events there aren't on a daily basis. And lastly, racism is not limited to one ethnicity. In fact, what ever percentage of racism that you believe applies to whites, would most likely apply to all races.
If we start discussing the good I'm happy to make many acknowledgements but that isn't this conversation. You seem to be either denying or dismissing "the bad" as minor isolated incidents that are non factors. It's rather pretentious of you. You bring up 300 million Americans but really where the impact of this problem comes from is our youth. My girl works in the school system and spent many years working with inner city youth. There is a tremendous cultural problem in the black community and I recognize the problems that exist with entitled attitudes and people milking the welfare system to live off the government. I agree with you that this attitude is unhealthy. On the flip side there is an equally significant problem with racial division and discrimination. Not so much in our laws and corporate work place but in the culture of our society. There is a reality from our past that has put the black community in a hole, which makes their assention to success more difficult than for most white people. They just have more barriers to overcome. I think if you were being honest with yourself you could acknowledge this
Of course this is the place for that conversation. It is called context and all balanced conversations have it.

Again I am not disputing the challenges of the black community. Prior to the 1930's the percentage of black families which had two parents in the household exceeded that of whites. That was destroyed by the 1960's. No one forced blacks to destroy their nuclear family. The black community put itself in that hole. What are you going to do about it? Legislate that they must have two parents?
That's a good point. Instead of just saying that they did it to themselves, why don't we look a little closer? Since the 1930s, what factors do you think led to the degration of the black family?
Welfare.
Just the act of government assistance? Or Do you think the fact that so many were poor enough to need it was a factor?
How The Liberal Welfare State Destroyed Black America

America is the least racist country in the world. That's one of the reasons people want to move here. What can't a person of color do here?
We've done well with our laws. Our culture is still lagging behind. Racism and racial discrimination is alive and well in this country. If you don't think so then are not looking. Dig around this board about and you get a taste. If you want a bigger dose visit some southern states. There are some sickening people out there
It seems to me that you are not giving Americans enough credit. I live in the south and don't see what you see.
Then you're not looking or you are living in a bubble. I give credit where credit is due. Many Americans are doing good work but there is still plenty of ugliness out there. I don't see the point in ignoring its existence.
I'm not arguing racism doesn't exist. I am arguing it is not as bad as you think. You seem to be focusing on the bad and ignoring the good. The isolated incidents that you focus on are exactly that... isolated. There are more than 300 million people who live in this country. However many racist events you think there are on a daily basis, you need to subtract that number from 300 million to see how many racist events there aren't on a daily basis. And lastly, racism is not limited to one ethnicity. In fact, what ever percentage of racism that you believe applies to whites, would most likely apply to all races.
If we start discussing the good I'm happy to make many acknowledgements but that isn't this conversation. You seem to be either denying or dismissing "the bad" as minor isolated incidents that are non factors. It's rather pretentious of you. You bring up 300 million Americans but really where the impact of this problem comes from is our youth. My girl works in the school system and spent many years working with inner city youth. There is a tremendous cultural problem in the black community and I recognize the problems that exist with entitled attitudes and people milking the welfare system to live off the government. I agree with you that this attitude is unhealthy. On the flip side there is an equally significant problem with racial division and discrimination. Not so much in our laws and corporate work place but in the culture of our society. There is a reality from our past that has put the black community in a hole, which makes their assention to success more difficult than for most white people. They just have more barriers to overcome. I think if you were being honest with yourself you could acknowledge this
I would blame the parents for raising their children to be thugs or have little self esteem. While I hate that people are profiled, you have to look at WHY they are. If you pick up any local newspaper, the majority of the violent crimes are not committed by whites. What are the barriers that anyone needs to overcome nowadays? I am white, raised poor, very bad childhood. I chose not to be or act like a victim or let anyone think I was less worthy. I am not a criminal, but I was around a lot of bad influences as a child. I don't dwell on it, I moved on and once I became an adult. I am responsible for what I become, not my past.

Of course this is the place for that conversation. It is called context and all balanced conversations have it.

Again I am not disputing the challenges of the black community. Prior to the 1930's the percentage of black families which had two parents in the household exceeded that of whites. That was destroyed by the 1960's. No one forced blacks to destroy their nuclear family. The black community put itself in that hole. What are you going to do about it? Legislate that they must have two parents?
That's a good point. Instead of just saying that they did it to themselves, why don't we look a little closer? Since the 1930s, what factors do you think led to the degration of the black family?
Welfare.
Just the act of government assistance? Or Do you think the fact that so many were poor enough to need it was a factor?
Your heart is in the right place but your solutions are all fucked up.

Welfare.
I haven't proposed any solutions, I'm simply analyzing factors that have caused the problem. Solutions are a whole different discussion

Welfare.
I haven't proposed any solutions, I'm simply analyzing factors that have caused the problem. Solutions are a whole different discussion
I see. It did seem like you were suggesting something. I must have been mistaken.

But the underlying question remains the same: Is racism - now called "white privilege" - a significant impediment to individual "Black" Americans in their "pursuit of happiness"?

And the answer is, "Not necessarily." As I mentioned in my post above, if a "Black" person truly wants to achieve success and is willing to pay a reasonable price, s/he has many avenues to that success, not the least of which is entrepreneurship - that neutralize the impact of racism. So to blame racism, or "white privilege" for one's lack of success, or - worse - to pre-emptively say that "My chances of achieving success are doomed by White Privilege," and just give up, is totally bogus and not justified by reality.
I agree with you. I think personal responsibility should be promoted. But let's not deny the existence of what history has provided for the various races in our country. Whites have had a much easier path to success than other groups

can you prove this last sentence?

What exactly has "white privilege" prevented you from accomplishing?
White privilege hasn't prevent me from accomplishing anything... The fact that you are asking that means you are completely missing the point. Try looking at this situation with open eyes and not defensive debate
I'm not being defensive. We live in a merit based society. Anyone can accomplish anything that they can earn. And no, the fact that I am asking you that question does not mean I have missed the point. I don't accept your point that people are not in control of their own destinies. You are missing my point. For you to believe that "white privilege" unfairly advantages some, must mean that you believe that it unfairly disadvantages others. That my friend is what we call an external locus of control. Life is what it is, to argue that there are circumstances beyond our control is a fatalistic attitude. While it is true that not everyone has the same starting point that does not mean that their lot will hold them back. There are plenty of rags to riches examples out there to prove that it is possible to succeed, even if your skin is not white or come from a family of wealth.
Agreed... i never said that people are not in control of their own destinies, I actually said the exact opposite of that. I'm simply explaining a reality which is true in our country. Acknowledgement of this reality goes a long way.
Which reality is that?
That the history of our nation in regards to the oppression of the black race has led to socioeconomic disadvantages that are still being felt today

here is some reality for you

blacks have on average lower IQ than any other ethnicity
higher rates of criminality
higher rates of single parent families

you can't make a decent standard of living for yourself and your offspring if you are in jail or dodging child support payments

you can't blame white privilege for any of that

If the county is built on white privilege....how do you explain the fact that the most economically successful, most highly educated, and least affected by police, racial group is not white?

"White Privilege" is simply one more spin, one more corollary of Leftist hate-America propaganda geared toward identity politics, victimology, and keep-Democrats-in-power agitprop.
I just don't get why you think playing ignorant to the situation helps things. You're arguement would be so much stronger if you displayed understanding and acknowledgment of the factual elements of your opponents arguement. You can still have a different methodology to approach the problem. But to deny that the problem even exists doesnt do anything productive to advance the debate.

Soooo....how about you make an attempt to answer the question:

If the county is built on white privilege....how do you explain the fact that the most economically successful, most highly educated, and least affected by police, racial group is not white?
What race are you talking about? Asian?

Is that a serious question??????
I could say that about your question, but im not as much as an asshole I guess... Your point has nothing to do with what we are talking about, which just supports your lack of understanding. Asians were not shipped over to this country in chains and oppressed for hundreds of years. The story of black culture and black history is quite different from the story of other races in this country. Perhaps the term "white privilege" isn't the most accurate, "black socioeconomic disadvantage" is probably more accurate to describe what the discussion is about.

I'm not saying that the disadvantages the black culture have as a result of our history is a valid excuse for individuals to not strive for success or for them to be content with living off the government... However, from a LEADERSHIP perspective these factors need to be understood and considered.... let me try this example:
Take a school in a wealthy area where most kids have rich parents who are married with a majority of stay at home moms. Versus a school in the ghetto where many of the children have single mothers on food stamps, gang problems, and even some kids that need to work after school to help support their family. It is true that in both cases the children have the same rules. Listen to teachers, read books, study hard, get good grades, apply for scholarships go to college, find success... However, from a leadership standpoint, it is obvious that the wealthy kids at the wealthy school have many more advantages that help them achieve success, so considering different measures on how to approach the education and career opportunities at both schools is the smart and logical move. You following?

name just one black person oppressed for hundreds of years

Which reality is that?
That the history of our nation in regards to the oppression of the black race has led to socioeconomic disadvantages that are still being felt today
That sounds exactly like what I have been talking about. Let's make an excuse for why they can blame someone else for their failure to adapt, improvise and overcome. You do realize that the only ones holding them back are themselves, right?
I don't think being ignored by the group that has benefitted from their disadvantages helps things. I'm not advocating that we need to really do much at all. I think we've done a good job making the playing field fair, however empathy and understanding of the situation is going to help things much more than the denial and debate like we are engaged in. With the right kind of campaign and mindset it is possible to take the excuses and turn the situation into a motivating force
How exactly have I benefited? And how have people of color been disadvantaged? It seems to me that people of color want to immigrate here because they have better opportunities here than where they are from. Do you judge the worth of people by the color of their skin or the quality of their character?
Have you not listened to a word i've said. I"m not going to keep repeating myself. This isn't about the "individual" it is a socioeconomic condition that has resulted from a long history of oppression. It effects many and it doesn't effect many. You try to insult me for using simple analogies yet you still fail to understand my message. I don't care if you agree or not, but from your responses you display an utter lack of understanding.

I'll try one more time to give as simple of an example as I can. What percentage of white people do you think are third generation doctors, lawyers, business owners or inheritors of wealth? What percentage of black people? The answer should be obvious. If you really don't think that a family's history/economic position has an effect education, opportunity, social development, etc. on the socioeconomic condition of blacks vs. whites then you need to learn more about sociology.

African americans blame whitey yet all other ethnic groups have higher socio-economic status, why only blame whitey?

That sounds exactly like what I have been talking about. Let's make an excuse for why they can blame someone else for their failure to adapt, improvise and overcome. You do realize that the only ones holding them back are themselves, right?
I don't think being ignored by the group that has benefitted from their disadvantages helps things. I'm not advocating that we need to really do much at all. I think we've done a good job making the playing field fair, however empathy and understanding of the situation is going to help things much more than the denial and debate like we are engaged in. With the right kind of campaign and mindset it is possible to take the excuses and turn the situation into a motivating force
How exactly have I benefited? And how have people of color been disadvantaged? It seems to me that people of color want to immigrate here because they have better opportunities here than where they are from. Do you judge the worth of people by the color of their skin or the quality of their character?
Have you not listened to a word i've said. I"m not going to keep repeating myself. This isn't about the "individual" it is a socioeconomic condition that has resulted from a long history of oppression. It effects many and it doesn't effect many. You try to insult me for using simple analogies yet you still fail to understand my message. I don't care if you agree or not, but from your responses you display an utter lack of understanding.

I'll try one more time to give as simple of an example as I can. What percentage of white people do you think are third generation doctors, lawyers, business owners or inheritors of wealth? What percentage of black people? The answer should be obvious. If you really don't think that a family's history/economic position has an effect education, opportunity, social development, etc. on the socioeconomic condition of blacks vs. whites then you need to learn more about sociology.

African americans blame whitey yet all other ethnic groups have higher socio-economic status, why only blame whitey?
If you could explain that you could explain why 94% of blacks belong to the party that was responsible for enslaving them in the first place. Go figure. I personally can't understand it either.

Last edited:
But the underlying question remains the same: Is racism - now called "white privilege" - a significant impediment to individual "Black" Americans in their "pursuit of happiness"?

And the answer is, "Not necessarily." As I mentioned in my post above, if a "Black" person truly wants to achieve success and is willing to pay a reasonable price, s/he has many avenues to that success, not the least of which is entrepreneurship - that neutralize the impact of racism. So to blame racism, or "white privilege" for one's lack of success, or - worse - to pre-emptively say that "My chances of achieving success are doomed by White Privilege," and just give up, is totally bogus and not justified by reality.
I agree with you. I think personal responsibility should be promoted. But let's not deny the existence of what history has provided for the various races in our country. Whites have had a much easier path to success than other groups

I've explained my reasonings through pages of discussion already. I don't feel like repeating myself

White privilege hasn't prevent me from accomplishing anything... The fact that you are asking that means you are completely missing the point. Try looking at this situation with open eyes and not defensive debate
I'm not being defensive. We live in a merit based society. Anyone can accomplish anything that they can earn. And no, the fact that I am asking you that question does not mean I have missed the point. I don't accept your point that people are not in control of their own destinies. You are missing my point. For you to believe that "white privilege" unfairly advantages some, must mean that you believe that it unfairly disadvantages others. That my friend is what we call an external locus of control. Life is what it is, to argue that there are circumstances beyond our control is a fatalistic attitude. While it is true that not everyone has the same starting point that does not mean that their lot will hold them back. There are plenty of rags to riches examples out there to prove that it is possible to succeed, even if your skin is not white or come from a family of wealth.
Agreed... i never said that people are not in control of their own destinies, I actually said the exact opposite of that. I'm simply explaining a reality which is true in our country. Acknowledgement of this reality goes a long way.
Which reality is that?

here is some reality for you

blacks have on average lower IQ than any other ethnicity
higher rates of criminality
higher rates of single parent families

you can't make a decent standard of living for yourself and your offspring if you are in jail or dodging child support payments

you can't blame white privilege for any of that
That's exactly the arguement for white privilege. Try and pay attention

Because whites brought them over here as slaves, then treated them literally as third class citizens for generations where they lacked education, financial opportunity, and basic human rights. Cause and effect. It's not a surprise that one geration after we've passed the civil rights act is still trying to dig out of the hole that yes "whitey" put them in

It is the single lesson that they have learned from their patrons and masters in the Coastal Party.

I've explained my reasonings through pages of discussion already. I don't feel like repeating myself

"I've explained my reasonings through pages of discussion already. I don't feel like repeating myself."

Glory to God!

It is with the greatest appreciation that I greet your decision not to bore all further.

The mediocrity of your earlier posts on the subject would bring tears of boredom to the eyes of a perpetual shut-in...

...in fact of the matter, even reading the first time is a testament to both my tolerance.... and my desire for amusement.

It is with the greatest appreciation that I greet your decision not to bore all further.

. The mediocrity of your earlier posts on the subject would bring tears of boredom to the eyes of a perpetual shut-in...

...in fact of the matter, even reading the first time is a testament to both my tolerance.... and my desire for amusement.
Yet you continue to engage :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back