White privilege

Yes, I am talking about individuals. Groups are the sum of individuals. If you want the group to change, you must change individuals. As a group Black American individuals are underperforming and the root cause is behaviors. MLK knew this.

“Some Things We Must Do,” Address Delivered at the 2nd Annual Institute on Nonviolence
Why is the group underperforming?
Because the majority of its individuals have normalized their deviances and are suffering the predictable surprises of doing so.
Why have a majority of black individuals normalized their deviances? And how did this mindset spread to the majority?
Typically normalization of deviance occurs during times of stress, but not always. How did it spread to the majority? Well, in part it was done because they bought into the victim narrative that you seem to have bought into.
So you think people like me who acknowledge challenges that have been created by an oppressive history have spread that message throughout the black community, and it's that message that has made them feel like entitled victims? And you think that is the primary cause for their "normalization of deviance"?

Did I get that right?
Yep, pretty much.

Why is the group underperforming?
Because the majority of its individuals have normalized their deviances and are suffering the predictable surprises of doing so.
Why have a majority of black individuals normalized their deviances? And how did this mindset spread to the majority?
Typically normalization of deviance occurs during times of stress, but not always. How did it spread to the majority? Well, in part it was done because they bought into the victim narrative that you seem to have bought into.
So you think people like me who acknowledge challenges that have been created by an oppressive history have spread that message throughout the black community, and it's that message that has made them feel like entitled victims? And you think that is the primary cause for their "normalization of deviance"?

Did I get that right?
Yep, pretty much.
Cool, you go with that then.

Did I get that right?
Yep, pretty much.
Ok, thanks.

I had the privilege of being born in a remote logging camp where we lived in a two room cabin.

I sure feel sorry for the underprivileged like Jaden Smith who didn't have all of that because of his skin color. .
Question, how many white people do you think are third generation college graduates? How many blacks? How about third generation doctors, lawyers, business owners? Think On that for a second
Why should it matter how many generations had what? Everyone has equal opportunity now. I came from a poor family, who came from a poor family and so on. I had no privileges. I had to work hard and go to school to better myself and anything I have was not handed down to me.
Good for you, really! If you don't understand the effects of coming from generations of people that were oppressed and discriminated against, them I guess you don't get it. But at least try and think about it for a bit before jumping to a conclusion.
People use the oppression from ancestors to validate their complaints. If you aren't oppressed, you can have empathy for the past, but you can neither change it or need to wallow in it.

I had the privilege of being born in a remote logging camp where we lived in a two room cabin.

I sure feel sorry for the underprivileged like Jaden Smith who didn't have all of that because of his skin color. .
Question, how many white people do you think are third generation college graduates? How many blacks? How about third generation doctors, lawyers, business owners? Think On that for a second
Why should it matter how many generations had what? Everyone has equal opportunity now. I came from a poor family, who came from a poor family and so on. I had no privileges. I had to work hard and go to school to better myself and anything I have was not handed down to me.
Good for you, really! If you don't understand the effects of coming from generations of people that were oppressed and discriminated against, them I guess you don't get it. But at least try and think about it for a bit before jumping to a conclusion.
People use the oppression from ancestors to validate their complaints. If you aren't oppressed, you can have empathy for the past, but you can neither change it or need to wallow in it.
My people were suppressed and oppressed too. I got over it.

Did I get that right?
Yep, pretty much.
“Let this cup pass from me” to “nevertheless.” Martin Luther King Jr

Garden of Gethsemane, Sermon Delivered at Dexter Avenue Baptist Church

Very true, but you also can't just ignore the socioeconomic disadvantages that a large percentage of African Americans are in, plus the lingering racial discrimination and bias that exists in this country. These things aren't excuses for anybody act entitled but they shouldn't be flat out ignored or denied.

I'll see if I can get you a trophy

Granny says, "Dat's right...

... white folks gotta stick together...

... or dey gonna end up bein'...

... just another minority."

I'll see if I can get you a trophy
No need. My folks never dwelt on it. We got over it.

Very true, but you also can't just ignore the socioeconomic disadvantages that a large percentage of African Americans are in, plus the lingering racial discrimination and bias that exists in this country. These things aren't excuses for anybody act entitled but they shouldn't be flat out ignored or denied.
America is the least racist country in the world. That's one of the reasons people want to move here. What can't a person of color do here?

America is the least racist country in the world. That's one of the reasons people want to move here. What can't a person of color do here?
We've done well with our laws. Our culture is still lagging behind. Racism and racial discrimination is alive and well in this country. If you don't think so then are not looking. Dig around this board about and you get a taste. If you want a bigger dose visit some southern states. There are some sickening people out there

We've done well with our laws. Our culture is still lagging behind. Racism and racial discrimination is alive and well in this country. If you don't think so then are not looking. Dig around this board about and you get a taste. If you want a bigger dose visit some southern states. There are some sickening people out there
It seems to me that you are not giving Americans enough credit. I live in the south and don't see what you see.

It seems to me that you are not giving Americans enough credit. I live in the south and don't see what you see.
Then you're not looking or you are living in a bubble. I give credit where credit is due. Many Americans are doing good work but there is still plenty of ugliness out there. I don't see the point in ignoring its existence.

Then you're not looking or you are living in a bubble. I give credit where credit is due. Many Americans are doing good work but there is still plenty of ugliness out there. I don't see the point in ignoring its existence.
I'm not arguing racism doesn't exist. I am arguing it is not as bad as you think. You seem to be focusing on the bad and ignoring the good. The isolated incidents that you focus on are exactly that... isolated. There are more than 300 million people who live in this country. However many racist events you think there are on a daily basis, you need to subtract that number from 300 million to see how many racist events there aren't on a daily basis. And lastly, racism is not limited to one ethnicity. In fact, what ever percentage of racism that you believe applies to whites, would most likely apply to all races.

I'm not arguing racism doesn't exist. I am arguing it is not as bad as you think. You seem to be focusing on the bad and ignoring the good. The isolated incidents that you focus on are exactly that... isolated. There are more than 300 million people who live in this country. However many racist events you think there are on a daily basis, you need to subtract that number from 300 million to see how many racist events there aren't on a daily basis. And lastly, racism is not limited to one ethnicity. In fact, what ever percentage of racism that you believe applies to whites, would most likely apply to all races.
If we start discussing the good I'm happy to make many acknowledgements but that isn't this conversation. You seem to be either denying or dismissing "the bad" as minor isolated incidents that are non factors. It's rather pretentious of you. You bring up 300 million Americans but really where the impact of this problem comes from is our youth. My girl works in the school system and spent many years working with inner city youth. There is a tremendous cultural problem in the black community and I recognize the problems that exist with entitled attitudes and people milking the welfare system to live off the government. I agree with you that this attitude is unhealthy. On the flip side there is an equally significant problem with racial division and discrimination. Not so much in our laws and corporate work place but in the culture of our society. There is a reality from our past that has put the black community in a hole, which makes their assention to success more difficult than for most white people. They just have more barriers to overcome. I think if you were being honest with yourself you could acknowledge this

If we start discussing the good I'm happy to make many acknowledgements but that isn't this conversation. You seem to be either denying or dismissing "the bad" as minor isolated incidents that are non factors. It's rather pretentious of you. You bring up 300 million Americans but really where the impact of this problem comes from is our youth. My girl works in the school system and spent many years working with inner city youth. There is a tremendous cultural problem in the black community and I recognize the problems that exist with entitled attitudes and people milking the welfare system to live off the government. I agree with you that this attitude is unhealthy. On the flip side there is an equally significant problem with racial division and discrimination. Not so much in our laws and corporate work place but in the culture of our society. There is a reality from our past that has put the black community in a hole, which makes their assention to success more difficult than for most white people. They just have more barriers to overcome. I think if you were being honest with yourself you could acknowledge this
Of course this is the place for that conversation. It is called context and all balanced conversations have it.

Again I am not disputing the challenges of the black community. Prior to the 1930's the percentage of black families which had two parents in the household exceeded that of whites. That was destroyed by the 1960's. No one forced blacks to destroy their nuclear family. The black community put itself in that hole. What are you going to do about it? Legislate that they must have two parents?

Of course this is the place for that conversation. It is called context and all balanced conversations have it.

Again I am not disputing the challenges of the black community. Prior to the 1930's the percentage of black families which had two parents in the household exceeded that of whites. That was destroyed by the 1960's. No one forced blacks to destroy their nuclear family. The black community put itself in that hole. What are you going to do about it? Legislate that they must have two parents?
That's a good point. Instead of just saying that they did it to themselves, why don't we look a little closer? Since the 1930s, what factors do you think led to the degration of the black family?

That's a good point. Instead of just saying that they did it to themselves, why don't we look a little closer? Since the 1930s, what factors do you think led to the degration of the black family?
Welfare.

Welfare.
Just the act of government assistance? Or Do you think the fact that so many were poor enough to need it was a factor?

Forum List

Back