Do You Support Federal Funding For California's High-Speed Rail?

Do You Support Federal Tax Dollars Being Spent On California's High-Speed Rail?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not a conservative, so I have no idea what they'd tell him.

I lived in California for 34 years and I know that it is that "great low income assistance" which has contributed to the state's current woes.

Not being a "Teabagger," I couldn't speak to whether or not they hate jobs. I know I don't, but I also know that, despite my being in favor of HSR, now is probably not the time for California to be throwing money they don't have into a project that may fall short and never be completed. In the current economy, how many residents of the state do you honestly believe will be buying bonds for this project? The project depends on selling enough bonds to build a predetermined length of track to qualify for federal funding. It's far too easy for this to fall short, especially when you are banking on funding from a majority of people who will probably never use this train.

All one has to do is look at AMTRAK and it's losses. THIS will be no different.

The lack of success of Amtrak is certainly something to consider.

However, I see the HSR between L.A. and S.F. as a slightly different animal. I think the idea is intended for business folk who frequently fly back and forth between the two cities, often times on a daily basis, and for weekenders looking for a quick, inexpensive way to get from one end of the state to the other.

On the business man end of the plan, you would reduce the number of daily flights to and from the two cities, this of course would mean less pollution and, sadly, probably some airlines reducing their work force in the two cities...

yeah, i know that AMTRAK's money maker IS the Northeast Corridor...but what eats them alive are UNIONS, Fuel, materials for maintenance, Leasing of lines for thier long Distance routes...

ARTICLE; WSJ

I took AMTRAK weeks after 9/11/2001 between Florida and Chicago, and back...it was FUN. Hell? I'm a train guy...love 'em...but if not economically feasible? WHY do it?

As someone that has used the train systems living in Germany, the average taxpayer there pays to keep it alive so this new train system in California is just another tax burden for life on taxpayers and most likely taxpayers from other states when California is bailed out.

Democraps eventually will push to extend the system up to Washington state to get more Federal money thrown into the hole.

I'm not a conservative, so I have no idea what they'd tell him.

I lived in California for 34 years and I know that it is that "great low income assistance" which has contributed to the state's current woes.

Not being a "Teabagger," I couldn't speak to whether or not they hate jobs. I know I don't, but I also know that, despite my being in favor of HSR, now is probably not the time for California to be throwing money they don't have into a project that may fall short and never be completed. In the current economy, how many residents of the state do you honestly believe will be buying bonds for this project? The project depends on selling enough bonds to build a predetermined length of track to qualify for federal funding. It's far too easy for this to fall short, especially when you are banking on funding from a majority of people who will probably never use this train.

However, I see the HSR between L.A. and S.F. as a slightly different animal. I think the idea is intended for business folk who frequently fly back and forth between the two cities, often times on a daily basis, and for weekenders looking for a quick, inexpensive way to get from one end of the state to the other.

On the business man end of the plan, you would reduce the number of daily flights to and from the two cities, this of course would mean less pollution and, sadly, probably some airlines reducing their work force in the two cities...

In order to go as fast as they are projecting--making a 4.5 hour trip into a 1.1 hour one, I'm thinking that's about the speed of an airline trip, except the noise is at ground level. It would sure be nice if California would actually take the gamble. Maybe they could make money.

But there's a surefire way to turn a profitable business into a failure: that is to turn it over to disengaged owners that the government is, judging from other attempts that wind up costing taxpayers ore money than is put in.

In order to go as fast as they are projecting--making a 4.5 hour trip into a 1.1 hour one, I'm thinking that's about the speed of an airline trip, except the noise is at ground level. It would sure be nice if California would actually take the gamble. Maybe they could make money.

But there's a surefire way to turn a profitable business into a failure: that is to turn it over to disengaged owners that the government is, judging from other attempts that wind up costing taxpayers ore money than is put in.

I'm with private enterpise all the way. To do something just to bail out a State? NO GO.

There is money to build a high speed rail, but no money to fix the potholes in the cities. There is money to build a high speed rail, but Stockton and Mammoth Lakes have just gone bankrupt.

It's like someone who doesn't have the money to put food in the fridge claiming enough money to buy a full length mink coat.

Some cities in San Bernardino county are trying a pilot program to get more money. They are taking the homes of those people who are able to make the mortgage payments with eminent domain proceedings and selling the mortgage notes to new lenders who really really promise that they won't resell the properties to anyone other than the original borrower. Yeah, you can all trust that.

Drinking your BONG WATER again Derp?:eusa_whistle:

I'll ask your lump of coal-er I mean-liver later, Drunky McLushface.

Translation:" I ConservaDerps only here to be an ass..."

Son? You're out of your league.

Says the guy who says this will hurt tourism. Because you know, our awesome weather, gorgeous beaches, Disneyland an other amusement parks and our world class entertainment wouldn't draw people here anymore.

Have another one, Barfly.

yeah, i know that AMTRAK's money maker IS the Northeast Corridor...but what eats them alive are UNIONS, Fuel, materials for maintenance, Leasing of lines for thier long Distance routes...

ARTICLE; WSJ

I took AMTRAK weeks after 9/11/2001 between Florida and Chicago, and back...it was FUN. Hell? I'm a train guy...love 'em...but if not economically feasible? WHY do it?
The last time I took Amtrak between Rawlins, Wyoming and Chicago, IL, I didn't sleep a wink, my son threw up in his bunk because the tracks were so bumpy, then, when I did go sit out the rest of the night in a lounge car, a steward was complaining about his job, life in general, and how he couldn't wait to retire, all the way through Nebraska. I'm glad someone I know didn't have that unique experience. Things go wrong with machinery after years of hauling people, their luggage, and cargo that started out being efficient, pleasant modes of travel.

I'll ask your lump of coal-er I mean-liver later, Drunky McLushface.

Says the guy who says this will hurt tourism. Because you know, our awesome weather, gorgeous beaches, Disneyland an other amusement parks and our world class entertainment wouldn't draw people here anymore.

Taxing out of twners is a way of fostering TOURISM Gracie? Really?

Continue to drink the bong water son. Maybe it will further the brain damage YOU already suffer from.

Continue to drink the bong water son. Maybe it will further the brain damage YOU already suffer from.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Goddamn you really don't get how tourism works, do you? Or did you drink that brain cell away too? Of course tourists pay higher taxes. They always do. But again, until my beloved state stops having such awesome shit to bring people in by the millions, your claims will continue to be the drunken ramblings of a compete assclown.

Democratic Lawmakers just gave the green light to start building an estimated $68 Billion high-speed rail line in California. This, despite California being very deep in Debt. They have also requested partial Federal Funding for the project. Should Non-Californians be forced to give their Tax Dollars to this project? What do you think? How do you feel about that?

Hell No--we're already 16 trillion dollars in debt--and we don't need to fund special projects for individual states. If California wants high speed rail they can figure out a way for the CITIZENS of CALIFORNIA to pay for it themselves.

I'll tell you there's never been a big spending bill that Democrats didn't like.

ARTICLE; WSJ

The last time I took Amtrak between Rawlins, Wyoming and Chicago, IL, I didn't sleep a wink, my son threw up in his bunk because the tracks were so bumpy, then, when I did go sit out the rest of the night in a lounge car, a steward was complaining about his job, life in general, and how he couldn't wait to retire, all the way through Nebraska. I'm glad someone I know didn't have that unique experience. Things go wrong with machinery after years of hauling people, their luggage, and cargo that started out being efficient, pleasant modes of travel.

it was fun for me. i traveled with a laptop and Digital Camera...Took some great pictures especially at the stop in Harper's Ferry, West Virginia...(A real neat, historical place in History)

(I was travelling lone wolf), the DC Station was HUGE, ornate...got some great shots of it...The people I ran into were great...Gave me an oppritunity to show them the new digital tech of digital photography...

I really liked it. I also carried a radio programmed with the railroad frequencies so i could listen to what was going on...the kids I ran into got a kick out of it too...and gave me an oppritunity to show them some technology as well and explaining RR operations.

It was alot of fun. Sorry you had a bad time... :(

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Goddamn you really don't get how tourism works, do you? Or did you drink that brain cell away too? Of course tourists pay higher taxes. They always do. But again, until my beloved state stops having such awesome shit to bring people in by the millions, your claims will continue to be the drunken ramblings of a compete assclown.

Do YOU really think people will go to where they KNOW they will be taxed for being from OUT OF TOWN?

Really?

Do YOU really think people will go to where they KNOW they will be taxed for being from OUT OF TOWN?

Really?

You mean like they already do? By the millions? Every year?

Yes. They will continue to do that.

Really?

YOU know Zero of economy son. Just crawl back into yer hole.

Really?

YOU know Zero of economy son. Just crawl back into yer hole.

Oh you silly drunk. I live in a tourist town. I speak from more experience than you, Captain Morgan. Go get back on your Cutty Sark and leave the discussion of tourism to those who know what the fuck they're talking about.

Yes, dupes, we should just let our infrastructure fall apart for ANOTHER 30 years- AND let the Chinese and others run the alternative energy industries of the future. As long as the rich are OK!

Forum List

Back