High-speed rail gets a multibillion-dollar White House boost

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
The Biden administration announced Friday the largest federal investment in passenger trains in decades, with $8.2 billion in new funding for high-speed rail and other projects nationwide.

Why it matters: Rail travel is considered a relatively clean way to get lots of people from A to B, especially compared to aviation — but the U.S. rail network is sorely lagging behind that of peer nations in Europe and Asia.

Driving the news: The big highlight were two multibillion-dollar packages for planned high-speed rail projects.
  • One would connect Las Vegas, Nev. and Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. (just east of Los Angeles) using electrified trains.
  • It's expected to carry more than 11 million passengers annually, the White House said, with roughly two-hour trips — half the typical drive time.
  • It's being built by Brightline, a private train operator that's been expanding across Florida and is now setting its eyes westward.
The other package would provide for high-speed rail travel between Bakersfield and Merced, Calif.
  • "New all-electric trainsets will produce zero emissions and be powered by 100% renewable energy," per the White House.
Meanwhile: The investment will also support improved train infrastructure in North Carolina, the Washington, D.C. area, Chicago, Pennsylvania and more.

Yes, and: Amtrak and Texas Central (another private high-speed rail company) are exploring a partnership around Houston-Dallas service.
  • New Amtrak service connecting Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati is also on the table, as is a line connecting Scranton and New York City.

So which over-funded agency did that money (we don't really have) come from?
money-printer-goes-brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-a-look-at-the-us-federal-reserve.jpg

This round of funding from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.....Figures, that's where The Turtle got his bridge money from.

The Biden administration announced Friday the largest federal investment in passenger trains in decades, with $8.2 billion in new funding for high-speed rail and other projects nationwide.

Why it matters: Rail travel is considered a relatively clean way to get lots of people from A to B, especially compared to aviation — but the U.S. rail network is sorely lagging behind that of peer nations in Europe and Asia.

Driving the news: The big highlight were two multibillion-dollar packages for planned high-speed rail projects.
  • One would connect Las Vegas, Nev. and Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. (just east of Los Angeles) using electrified trains.
  • It's expected to carry more than 11 million passengers annually, the White House said, with roughly two-hour trips — half the typical drive time.
  • It's being built by Brightline, a private train operator that's been expanding across Florida and is now setting its eyes westward.
The other package would provide for high-speed rail travel between Bakersfield and Merced, Calif.
  • "New all-electric trainsets will produce zero emissions and be powered by 100% renewable energy," per the White House.
Meanwhile: The investment will also support improved train infrastructure in North Carolina, the Washington, D.C. area, Chicago, Pennsylvania and more.

Yes, and: Amtrak and Texas Central (another private high-speed rail company) are exploring a partnership around Houston-Dallas service.
  • New Amtrak service connecting Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati is also on the table, as is a line connecting Scranton and New York City.
they will have to do better than Rancho Cucamonga.......it needs to go further in....

I'm interested to see how this one works out given how often I travel out to LA for work. Of course, the obvious sticking point that a lot of people have pointed out is the worst of the traffic is between Rancho Cucamonga and LA. I don't understand why they don't run it all the way into LA.

I'm interested to see how this one works out given how often I travel out to LA for work. Of course, the obvious sticking point that a lot of people have pointed out is the worst of the traffic is between Rancho Cucamonga and LA. I don't understand why they don't run it all the way into LA.
and Anaheim has a multi million dollar hub for trains.....

My god, we are $33 trillion in debt and that idiot is giving money away for a damn high speed rail that can't get real investors because it is a crazy project.

If a high speed rail was a viable project there would plenty of private investors. But it is not. It is a waste. The only people that are going to benefit from it are the Democrat fat cat donors that will receive the government contracts.

When a moron that is controlled by the stupid Environmental Wackos steals an election that is the kind of crap we get.

They will soon end up with projects like the current one in California. that 8.2 wont be enough and they will be stuck needing at least 20 Billion more. They arn't fooling anyone now

My god, we are $33 trillion in debt and that idiot is giving money away for a damn high speed rail that can't get real investors because it is a crazy project.

And we are in defict spending.

Bidenomics !!!!

I am sure there is an argument this will create more jobs.....at a time when we are at full employment.

Idiot is to kind a word for this kind of rank stupidity.

It will not be high speed transversing the Cajon pass

Fully Electric, in the part of the USA with the least amount of Electricity.

Las Vegas to Los Angeles? So our government is now subsidizing gambling

I doubt it gets built, what will happen is many multi-million dollar trips to Japan and Europe so the politicians can get a good idea how great luxury high speed rail travel is to the top destinations in the world under the guise of "studying"

There will be millions spent on advertising, before it is built

Someone will get rich selling shit scrub desert to the government, most likely the current billionaires that own right of ways along the railroad they currently own.

The I-15 freeway, through the Cajon pass, could use a billion dollar upgrade to relieve traffic.

People in the million dollar Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego counties can not afford planes?

but, traffic will just be worst, getting to Rancho Cucamonga, 3 hours will take 5 hours, those near LAX or the other major airports are not going to sit in traffic 3 to 5 hours to when a plane will take 1 hour

It will not be high speed transversing the Cajon pass

Fully Electric, in the part of the USA with the least amount of Electricity.

Las Vegas to Los Angeles? So our government is now subsidizing gambling

I doubt it gets built, what will happen is many multi-million dollar trips to Japan and Europe so the politicians can get a good idea how great luxury high speed rail travel is to the top destinations in the world under the guise of "studying"

There will be millions spent on advertising, before it is built

Someone will get rich selling shit scrub desert to the government, most likely the current billionaires that own right of ways along the railroad they currently own.

The I-15 freeway, through the Cajon pass, could use a billion dollar upgrade to relieve traffic.
As though there needs to be yet another jillion dollar moonbat white elephant along that route.....

Ivanpah_aerial_shot.jpg

Forum List

Back