High-speed rail gets a multibillion-dollar White House boost

It will not be high speed transversing the Cajon pass

Fully Electric, in the part of the USA with the least amount of Electricity.

Las Vegas to Los Angeles? So our government is now subsidizing gambling

I doubt it gets built, what will happen is many multi-million dollar trips to Japan and Europe so the politicians can get a good idea how great luxury high speed rail travel is to the top destinations in the world under the guise of "studying"

There will be millions spent on advertising, before it is built

Someone will get rich selling shit scrub desert to the government, most likely the current billionaires that own right of ways along the railroad they currently own.

The I-15 freeway, through the Cajon pass, could use a billion dollar upgrade to relieve traffic.
:itsok: Sure, bud. Now, go back to bed.

:itsok: Sure, bud. Now, go back to bed.
are you familiar with the cajon pass, this is my favorite train story from the cajon pass, and when I say favorite, I mean it is a tragic deadly story of incompetence and stupidity

trains have to crawl through the 20 mile pass, and I do mean crawl, 20 miles will take a train over an hour, high speed or not.

Than of course is another pass to transverse before you get to vegas, certainly not as deadly, but add another hour

On May 12, 1989, one of the most devastating accidents in the history of the Southern Pacific Railroad occurred in a northwest suburb of San Bernardino, California along the relatively new (opened in 1967) Palmdale-Colton "Cut-Off" line at the foot of the Cajon Pass grade. Southern Pacific train 01-MJLBP-12 (Mojave, CA to Long Beach, CA Unit Potash train), with 69 hopper cars loaded with potash south of Mojave at Rosamond, CA lost control while descending the 2.2% grade on the south slope of Cajon Pass. All 69 cars and six locomotives derailed when the train reached a curve next to the suburban San Bernardino neighborhood along Duffy street near Highland Avenue. The runaway train reached speeds in excess of 90 MPH (the maximum recordable speed on the onboard "black box" speed recorder) in the descent of the 23 mile grade. Killed in the accident were SP Conductor Everett S. Crown and Brakeman Allan R. Riess. Also killed in trackside homes were two children ages 7 and 9, with eleven additional people injured. Seven homes were destroyed outright by the accident, and four more were damaged and eventually torn down. In response to the accident, Southern Pacific agreed to pay all moving, storage and temporary housing costs for displaced residents as well as purchase the eleven homes damaged or destroyed in the accident. In addition, Southern Pacific agreed to reimburse the City of San Bernardino for all expenses incurred in response to the accident, as well as any judgements against the city resulting from the accident. Southern Pacific also agreed to pay for inspection and necessary repair to a 14-inch petroleum pipeline buried fourteen feet beneath the accident site.​
A Second catastrophe struck the accident ravaged neighborhood two weeks later on May 25th, when the petroleum pipeline that parallelled the rail line ruptured and exploded, destroying eleven more homes and killing two more residents. Investigation after the pipeline explosion found that CalNev Pipelines did not adequately inspect the pipeline after the accident.​
The cause of the accident was complex. The train weight was estimated (no car scales exist in Rosamond) to be 6,151 tons, which is the information the train's crew had. Later computations made by weighing similarly loaded cars estimated the actual train weight to be near 8,970 tons. In addition, the train's headend and helper power each had at least one unit with inoperable dynamic brakes. This left the train with sufficient braking power for the reported weight, but not enough for the actual weight.​
In response to the loss of two of their co-workers, Southern Pacific and its employees erected a large white cross at the peak of the hill in the middle of the Tehachapi Loop. In addition, a memorial plaque and marble bench were placed trackside on the loop with the bench facing the hill and cross. If you visit the location, please remember to pause and reflect. Not only on the lives of the two railroaders that were lost in this accident, but on those that live on and work their trade every day on the nation's railroads.​

1702100225736.png

the pipeline explosion that resulted from the train crash at the cajon pass, devastating,

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- A ruptured gasoline pipeline exploded Thursday and touched off a firestorm that engulfed the same neighborhood where a runaway freight train flattened a row of houses two weeks ago. At least three people were killed and 31 were injured.

The 14-inch steel Cal-Nevada Pipeline Co. line, carrying gasoline 250 miles from refineries in the Los Angeles area to southern Nevada, ruptured at 8:05 a.m. directly below where the runaway Southern Pacific train derailed May 12 and slammed into 11 homes, killing four people, officials said.

are you familiar with the cajon pass, this is my favorite train story from the cajon pass, and when I say favorite, I mean it is a tragic deadly story of incompetence and stupidity

trains have to crawl through the 20 mile pass, and I do mean crawl, 20 miles will take a train over an hour, high speed or not.

Than of course is another pass to transverse before you get to vegas, certainly not as deadly, but add another hour

You hate it so much that you don't want to see it replaced? Yeah, like I said...way past your bedtime. Don't forget those meds. :itsok:

You hate it so much that you don't want to see it replaced? Yeah, like I said...way past your bedtime. Don't forget those meds. :itsok:
tonight it is cheap red wine, coppola

yea, I hate stupidity that wastes billions, trillions, of tax payer money,

you being a fool, aint got the intelligence to lose a bit of sleep over this

tonight it is cheap red wine, coppola

yea, I hate stupidity that wastes billions, trillions, of tax payer money,

you being a fool, aint got the intelligence to lose a bit of sleep over this
:itsok:

Guess who has a HUGE stake in the failed California high-speed rail?

Paul Pelosi.

Originally the cost was $35 BILLION. The estimate is up to $100 BILLION and 12 years behind schedule for...117 miles of track. If ever completed, it is scheduled to make the Big Dig in Boston look like chump change.

California’s $100 Billion Nightmare High-Speed Rail Project

The WasteWatcher​

July 1, 2020 — CAGW Staff
After 12 years of delays, mismanagement, and political gridlock, the total cost estimate for the California High-Speed Rail Authority (CHSRA) has reached $100 billion. Initially budgeted at $35 billion, former California Gov. Jerry Brown’s dream of uniting California’s coastal metropolises and parts of the Central Valley has transformed into a disjointed, mismanaged fiscal nightmare with rising costs every single year following its inception. The $100 billion cost is 23 percent greater than the highest estimated cost of $81.4 billion that Citizens Against Government Waste projected in an extensive September 2008 joint report with the Reason Foundation and the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Foundation.

When California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) took office in January 2019, he ignored his initial misgivings to shut down the Bakersfield Merced (MB) portion of the project and decided to move full steam ahead with construction, promising to deliver an operational line by 2029. The MB line’s original projected cost made up one-fifth of the entire high-speed rail’s total cost. However, a lack of state oversight coupled with ad hoc financing pushed costs for the MB line well past the initial estimates. Thus far, the only speed record this train has set is the unprecedented rate at which it has burned through state and federal tax dollars.

Originally pitched as an environmentally friendly alternative form of transportation, the CHSRA line is no different than any other pork-barrel project. It has been especially good at creating jobs for Central Valley construction workers and private contractors. As of June 2020, 4,000 construction workers, 73 percent of whom are from the Central Valley, were employed at 32 separate active construction sites operating simultaneously along a 117-mile stretch of the MB line.

Last edited:
enlighten us with your vast superior knowledge
I did. And, even though you hate the existing rail, you would rather be a stick-in-the-mud than open your mind to new ideas.

How’s that for enlightenment? You’re welcome.

I did. And, even though you hate the existing rail, you would rather be a stick-in-the-mud than open your mind to new ideas.

How’s that for enlightenment? You’re welcome.
trains preceded airplanes? How do you call that a new idea?

have you made the trip from rancho cucamonga to vegas, I have, many times.

There are to steep gradients, either one, will add a hour to the trip, at best the 228 mile trip is going to take at least 2 hours by high speed rail. Of course you must park, to get on the train, that adds one hour to the trip, now the trip by train takes you 3 hours. 228 miles by a car going 70 mph is going to take 3 hours and 10 minutes.

1 hour parking
1 hour transversing two steep gradients
1 hour of travel at high spee
1 hour getting off the train and finding transportation to downtown vegas

There is no way a high speed rail beat a car traveling to las vegas

My god, we are $33 trillion in debt and that idiot is giving money away for a damn high speed rail that can't get real investors because it is a crazy project.
Thats the rub

Greenies cant get private investors for their wild projects so they expect the taxpayers to put up the money

trains preceded airplanes? How do you call that a new idea?

have you made the trip from rancho cucamonga to vegas, I have, many times.

There are to steep gradients, either one, will add a hour to the trip, at best the 228 mile trip is going to take at least 2 hours by high speed rail. Of course you must park, to get on the train, that adds one hour to the trip, now the trip by train takes you 3 hours. 228 miles by a car going 70 mph is going to take 3 hours and 10 minutes.

1 hour parking
1 hour transversing two steep gradients
1 hour of travel at high spee
1 hour getting off the train and finding transportation to downtown vegas

There is no way a high speed rail beat a car traveling to las vegas
and as many Californians have already expressed they would rather drive...

Thats the rub

Greenies cant get private investors for their wild projects so they expect the taxpayers to put up the money
When idiots like this Potatohead clown get away with stealing elections then this is the kind of fiscally irresponsible government we get. We should not be giving subsidies to anybody when we are $33 trillion in debt. Especially for some silly ass shit that has absolutely no value or payback like high speed rail.

We should not be giving away taxpayer's money for a rail system that that the private equity market deems to be a bad investment.

These Environmental Wackos are idiots. They have this stupid dream that mass transportation will work in the US. They are crazy as hell. If mass transportation was viable then private investors would be funding it.

Of course it is not really about "saving the planet" or any of that other horseshit the Environmental Wackos spout. It is about the corruption of putting our tax money into the hands of special interests. Like maybe the unions or Chinese or Democrat Party donors. It is despicable when you think about it.

When idiots like this Potatohead clown get away with stealing elections then this is the kind of fiscally irresponsible government we get. We should not be giving subsidies to anybody when we are $33 trillion in debt. Especially for some silly ass shit that has absolutely no value or payback like high speed rail.

We should not be giving away taxpayer's money for a rail system that that the private equity market deems to be a bad investment.

These Environmental Wackos are idiots. They have this stupid dream that mass transportation will work in the US. They are crazy as hell. If mass transportation was viable then private investors would be funding it.

Of course it is not really about "saving the planet" or any of that other horseshit the Environmental Wackos spout. It is about the corruption of putting our tax money into the hands of special interests. Like maybe the unions or Chinese or Democrat Party donors. It is despicable when you think about it.
Its about the power that libs want to have over everyone’s life

So naturally they crave mass transit

Forum List

Back