Do You Support Federal Funding For California's High-Speed Rail?

Do You Support Federal Tax Dollars Being Spent On California's High-Speed Rail?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think states can and should have high-speed rail service, but it should be proffered by private business.

I hold Amtrak as a prime example of the Federal government trying to help the transportation industry.
Amtrak is:

• Government owned and controlled
  • Union-operated, employing more than 20,000 workers
  • Has a CEO appointed by the president of the United States
  • Its annual budget is allocated allocated by Congress.
What could possibly go wrong? Plenty.
Let’s start with money. Amtrak loses bucketloads of money every day. The national rail system operates in the red, generating huge losses and has done so each and every year of its existence. And they are not shy about it. From the Amtrak website;
In FY 2010, Amtrak earned approximately $2.51 billion in revenue and incurred approximately $3.74 billion in expense.
That’s over $1.2 billion in losses for the most recent year, putting the overall tab for this antiquated, bloated and inefficient system around $50 billion dollars of taxpayer money.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/amtrak-turns-40-called-a-massive-failure-by-its-founder/
How badly do we need another service that gets extended to nationwide losing over a billion dollars a year?

Answer: we don't.

California High-Speed Rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

California High-Speed Rail

Since high-speed trains based on fossil-fuel electricity generation use one-third the energy of airplanes per person and a fifth of that used by cars with one person,[21] California High-Speed Rail will eliminate 12 billion pounds (5.5 million tonnes) of greenhouse gas emissions each year by reducing passenger car and airplane use. This is the equivalent of removing more than one million vehicles from the state's roads and freeways. It will lessen California's dependence on foreign oil by up to 12.7 million barrels per year.

The CHSRA projects that the Los Angeles-San Francisco route will generate a net operating revenues of US$2.23 billion by 2023,[4] consistent with the experience of other high-speed intercity operations around the world.[19] Even Amtrak's semi-high-speed Acela Express service generates an operating surplus that is used to cover operating expenses of other lines.

California OKs funding for high-speed rail line - Yahoo! News

California OKs funding for high-speed rail line

California was able to secure more federal aid than expected after Florida, Ohio and Wisconsin turned down money.

Steinberg, the Senate leader, said the vote signaled the "biggest, boldest public works project in decades in California." He likened it to the state water project that was first undertaken by Brown's father, Gov. Pat Brown, in the late 1950s. The massive network of dams, reservoirs and canals is still used today.

paulitician: Should Non-Californians be forced to give their Tax Dollars to this project?

California was able to secure more federal aid than expected after Florida, Ohio and Wisconsin turned down money ... will generate a net operating revenues of US$2.23 billion by 2023 ... It will lessen California's dependence on foreign oil by up to 12.7 million barrels per year.

a better question might be why the Republican gov'rs have given their funds to California than there own constituencies.

He likened it to the state water project that was first undertaken by Brown's father, Gov. Pat Brown, in the late 1950s. The massive network of dams, reservoirs and canals is still used today.

this project as a predecessor above is the difference between the latent (political) arguments between public and private initiatives that obscures the value both are capable of and elected officials that are willing to make the correct decisions despite their politics.

Last edited:
Except that it would loose money and just become another money pit. If there was a profit to be made with high speed rail, a private customer would be building the system right now. In stead, you want to tax 300 million people to subsidize high speed transportation for the 10 or 12 people who would benefit from another government boondoggle.

Hmm. Sounds like a lot of unsubstantiated speculation. Which is also known more commonly as "Bullshit." So why don't you rustle up a few links that support, with actual data now, not Right Wing heeby-jeeby feelings about shit, how it would lose money and become another money pit.

Otherwise, I'll call it California being once again ahead of the curve on cool shit.

Simple math tells me it's bullshit. $68 million and 4000 jobs? that works out to $17,000/job, barely minimum wage and you haven't bought land, steel or rolling stock. Conservaderrp is full of shit, as usual.

Yeah, fuck those 4000+ people getting a living wage!!

This, despite California being very deep in Debt.

California High-Speed Rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

California High-Speed Rail

Since high-speed trains based on fossil-fuel electricity generation use one-third the energy of airplanes per person and a fifth of that used by cars with one person,[21] California High-Speed Rail will eliminate 12 billion pounds (5.5 million tonnes) of greenhouse gas emissions each year by reducing passenger car and airplane use. This is the equivalent of removing more than one million vehicles from the state's roads and freeways. It will lessen California's dependence on foreign oil by up to 12.7 million barrels per year.

The CHSRA projects that the Los Angeles-San Francisco route will generate a net operating revenues of US$2.23 billion by 2023,[4] consistent with the experience of other high-speed intercity operations around the world.[19] Even Amtrak's semi-high-speed Acela Express service generates an operating surplus that is used to cover operating expenses of other lines.

California OKs funding for high-speed rail line - Yahoo! News

California OKs funding for high-speed rail line

California was able to secure more federal aid than expected after Florida, Ohio and Wisconsin turned down money.

Steinberg, the Senate leader, said the vote signaled the "biggest, boldest public works project in decades in California." He likened it to the state water project that was first undertaken by Brown's father, Gov. Pat Brown, in the late 1950s. The massive network of dams, reservoirs and canals is still used today.

paulitician: Should Non-Californians be forced to give their Tax Dollars to this project?

California was able to secure more federal aid than expected after Florida, Ohio and Wisconsin turned down money ... will generate a net operating revenues of US$2.23 billion by 2023 ... It will lessen California's dependence on foreign oil by up to 12.7 million barrels per year.

a better question might be why the Republican gov'rs have given their funds to California than there own constituencies.

He likened it to the state water project that was first undertaken by Brown's father, Gov. Pat Brown, in the late 1950s. The massive network of dams, reservoirs and canals is still used today.

this project as a predecessor above is the difference between the latent (political) arguments between public and private initiatives that obscures the value both are capable of and elected officials that are willing to make the correct decisions despite their politics.

Wearing your Rose-Colored glasses for sure on this one. But like i said, if Californians want it, they'll have to pay for it themselves. Absolutely no Federal Tax Dollars should be used.

Hmm. Sounds like a lot of unsubstantiated speculation. Which is also known more commonly as "Bullshit." So why don't you rustle up a few links that support, with actual data now, not Right Wing heeby-jeeby feelings about shit, how it would lose money and become another money pit.

Otherwise, I'll call it California being once again ahead of the curve on cool shit.

Simple math tells me it's bullshit. $68 million and 4000 jobs? that works out to $17,000/job, barely minimum wage and you haven't bought land, steel or rolling stock. Conservaderrp is full of shit, as usual.

$17,000 a living wage? In California? :lmao:

I totally support this project. It's the kind of thing we should be doing on a national level. We're looking at least 4000 new jobs being created. I thought Republicans loved jobs being created? No?

http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/assets/0/152/159/0150b8aa-a61b-4aeb-9c18-6223d8fe429f.pdf

Wow, 4,000 jobs for only the price of 68 Billion (that will prolly go well over 100 billion). Man Conservatwerp, you might be on to something.

68,000,000,000 divided by 4,000 jobs, divided by 10 years to build.... Only 1.7 Million dollars a job..... per year.

I think we have a runner up for the most stupid person on the boards, It’s TM VS Conservatwerp.

Teabaggers calling me stupid is a badge of honor, Fuckstain. It's sort of like someone who is really stupid calling me stupid.

Oh wait. That's exactly what that is.

Last edited:
This is another example of liberals playing with taxpayer money. They feel if they're not spending money, then they're not doing anything productive.

They feel it will be "cool" to see some high speed train in California despite it being a failure in the end. These idiots just want votes today, to hell with the long term costs.

They want votes from the unions building the system and they want votes from the Republican dominated central valley of California with promises of jobs from this scam. These liberals harmed the AG industry in central CA over cutting off the water because of some fish near Sacramento, so now they're trying to buy the voters back after putting them out of work.

$17,000 a living wage? In California? :lmao:

Well, wouldn't you Conservatives just tell him to get another job?

Low income assistance is great here in CA.

Why do Teabaggers hate jobs?

It's the "Stimulus" all over again. These jobs will be paid for by Taxpayers. It will be a huge net-loss in the end. Californians are crazy to go for this one, but it is California i guess. The rest of America shouldn't have to suffer because of their craziness though.

Last edited:
I totally support this project. It's the kind of thing we should be doing on a national level. We're looking at least 4000 new jobs being created. I thought Republicans loved jobs being created? No?

http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/assets/0/152/159/0150b8aa-a61b-4aeb-9c18-6223d8fe429f.pdf

It is not in the interest of people who live in other states to wastefully fund something that will be used only in another state.

That's not a national service. It's a state service, and should be funded by the state the line will serve.

Some people think the nation should fund sex changes for children who are sorry they were born a girl or sorry that they were born a boy.

California needs to pay its own debts first and save back money for the project on their own nickel.

It's just not a national project.

He did 68 million, not 68 Billion.... Meaning it's 1.7 million a person every year for 10 years.... Good work Conservatwerp!

It's the "Stimulus" all over again. These jobs will be paid for by Taxpayers. It will be a huge net-loss in the end. Californians are crazy to go for this one, but it is California i guess. The rest of America shouldn't have to suffer because of their craziness though.

Infrastructure spending is never a net negative in the long run. Man, you Teabaggers really do get massive boners from money hub? So fucking shortsighted.

It is not in the interest of people who live in other states to wastefully fund something that will be used only in another state.

That's not a national service. It's a state service, and should be funded by the state the line will serve.

Some people think the nation should fund sex changes for children who are sorry they were born a girl or sorry that they were born a boy.

California needs to pay its own debts first and save back money for the project on their own nickel.

It's just not a national project.

Yup.

Why do you hate workers?

Wow, 4,000 jobs for only the price of 68 Billion (that will prolly go well over 100 billion). Man Conservatwerp, you might be on to something.

68,000,000,000 divided by 4,000 jobs, divided by 10 years to build.... Only 1.7 Million dollars a job..... per year.

I think we have a runner up for the most stupid person on the boards, It’s TM VS Conservatwerp.

Teabaggers calling me stupid is a badge of honor, Fuckstain. It's sort of like someone who is really stupid calling me stupid.

Oh wait. That's exactly what that is.

That might even be fact, however I'm not part of the Tea Party and I'm calling you stupid. I fully understand that if you can lable me something I'm not that you feel it lets you off the hook for saying something stupid, but that's just not true. That's why you are closing in on the boards idiot, you need about 10,000k more posts to catch up with TM though.

He did 68 million, not 68 Billion.... Meaning it's 1.7 million a person every year for 10 years.... Good work Conservatwerp!

Cool. Tell those people that don't have jobs, that you Teabagger fucks say is the most important thing ever in the world, that they can't have jobs.

So is it all about jobs, or just being cantankerous fuckwads for you Teabaggers.

Why do you hate workers?

Just when I thought you were coming around to being a quality poster on these boards........

Forum List

Back