Why do some people say "God Fearing"?

Having some experience in this...
I find having an extreme fear/respect for God is necessary... because you don't want a situation where God has no regard for you...or treats you in a disrespectful fashion. Just saying... you get more than you give in this aspect...so be extremely cautious.

Having some experience in this...
I find having an extreme fear/respect for God is necessary... because you don't want a situation where God has no regard for you...or treats you in a disrespectful fashion. Just saying... you get more than you give in this aspect...so be extremely cautious.
When you do not fear God........you have no respect for God or His laws. The same principle can be applied to parenthood......when a child goes unpunished/undisciplined he/she loses all respect for those who are to teach and nurture them into adulthood.

I see this said or written many many times and I don't understand why anyone would fear God. He loves us. My dad loved me. I didn't fear him at all. What I DID fear was disappointing him, or making him sad or angry. I loved him...so making him feel negatively for an action I did, or a word I said, or how I conducted myself in certain situations..yes...I feared the hurt look he would get. Same with God. But what I gather from the phrase : "I am a God Fearing woman/man", I take it as fearing He Who Loves Us. How can one fear Him knowing that?
The "fear" of God is the beginning of wisdom. (Prov. 9:10) Wisdom not as measured by man......but God. The wise pays no attention to what man says (as man has been known to lie on occasion)......the wise follow the advise of God who cannot lie.

The wisest man in scripture tells us, "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's ALL. (or very purpose for being). -- Eccl 12:13

Why fear God? Fear not man who can kill your physical body, but fear Him who can put your very soul asunder for eternity.
Of course god can lie. He did it a lot.
Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." (John 14: 11 – 14)

I asked for a pony. ----- No pony yet.
Don't ya know that God does not hear the prayers of unrepentant sinners? "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that He cannot save, Nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, THAT HE WILL NOT HEAR................." -- Isaiah 59:1-9 A little humor to begin.......a good belly laugh is good for the soul...............

But....... actually when you are quoting from this portion of John 14, you are separating the subject matter and context via applying the conversation as taking place in being directed to EVERYONE (to future believers everywhere), in reality when you stay in context, Jesus is personally addressing His disciples whom where to be given the "supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit" in order to establish the infant church.

Take the entire chapter in the context in which it written, The Christ is speaking to Thomas (John 14:5), to Philip (John 14:8).
How was Jesus going to deliver on those promises made to these disciples? He tells them, "And I will pray the My Father and He shall give you another Comforter; that He might abide with you forever........" -- John 14:16

What of the rest of the world.........the general population? "Even the Spirit of Truth; WHOM THE WORLD CANNOT RECEIVE............"

Its a common error in reading and comprehending scripture.........the majority of people read the scriptures as if every word was directly addressing them when in reality the scriptures are but a record......a history that we are to learn and grow from.... The scriptures are taken away from their context, content and subject matter more than any other work of history.

When you read HOMER........do you assume that the author is directly addressing you with every word, every sentence? The scriptures are not different.........STAY IN CONTEXT, allow the text to direct your comprehension........

Does God actually hear your prayers? Of course.......sometimes He gives us what we need instead of what we want..............as would any loving parent who would never show respect among their children.............favoring one over another. God has no respect of person, none of us sinner or saint are promised anything extra in this life, the rain falls on the just and the unjust......... the age of the supernatural ended when the last personally hand picked Apostle of Christ breathed his last.....as only they had the authority from God to pass on these supernatural gifts via the laying on of hands (Acts 8:13-19)

Today, remains HOPE, FAITH and CHARITY/LOVE..........love being the greatest of the gifts from God.
Oh, I think I get it now. God promises countless miracles, and the only reason he doesn't deliver on them is because the people he promised all that to just aren't good enough. Seems odd that the percentage of those that do receive those miracles is exactly the same as random chance provides.

foggedinn Here are some dealings with men who feared god:

f7ba71b48cfa4fc596332137a6c107b2.jpg

That's only if you believe what the idiot box tells you.

But even if what the idiot box said was true, those were adherents of a false religion, so obviously that's not the same thing as revering and respecting the true living God of the universe... who, btw, says "Do not kill", "love your neighbor" "love your enemies", "look not only to your own interests but also to the interests of others", "seek peace" etc.

those were adherents of a false religion
As are all followers of any religion. You just happen to exclude your favorite one.

Obviously as an atheist that's what you think. And it's not a matter of it being my favorite. I didn't "pick" Christianity as if it was a hobby club or something. I wasn't even looking for a religion or God, but I'm not going to expound on that because it would take too long to explain and you wouldn't believe it anyway.

Obviously as an atheist that's what you think.
Obviously, as a Christian, you think all other religions are false.

To be clear, I don't think that every single thing other religions teach is false. I'm sure they teach some things that are true mixed in with the things that are false. But generally speaking, if they are teaching lies about who God is and leading people in the wrong direction in regard to what matters the most...then yes, they are a false religion.

And by the way, that goes along with the nature of truth itself. Truth is exclusive. 2+2 = 4. There aren't many correct answers for what 2+2 equals, there is one correct answer. In the same way, there is one true God. Obviously I wouldn't be a Christian if I didn't believe that Jesus was who he claimed to be.

To be clear, I don't think that every single thing other religions teach is false.
To be clear, you think all religions besides Christianity are false religions.

there is one correct answer. In the same way, there is one true God.
That's poor logic. The true answer could be there is no true god. And your favorite god could still be a false god either way.

Last edited:
To be clear, you think all religions besides Christianity are false religions.

You're not the one being clear, I was clear in my previous post when I took the time to be very specific and explain what I meant by that. Which you chose to purposely ignore in order to make it appear like I made that statement by itself. That's not cool and not honest.

That's poor logic. The true answer could be there is no true god. And your favorite god could still be a false god either way.

It's not poor logic because I wasn't even talking about or debating atheism vs theism, I was talking about the nature of truth itself, and comparing that to the exclusivity of Christianity.

In other words, I was saying that all the religions of the world can't be true at the same time, when they state conflicting things. That would go against one of the most basic laws of logic, the law of non-contradiction.

I wasn't planning to get into any lengthy debates today, and I definitely don't feel like debating your favorite topic, atheism vs theism, especially since you already showed that you're playing games, so I'll let you argue with someone else.

You're not the one being clear, I was clear in my previous post when I took the time to be very specific and explain what I meant by that.
No, that was you tryong to equivocate and distract from the clear truth, which you then admitted in the same post when you talked about 9ne true god:

You believe all religions besides christianity are false. Period. And if you didn't want to have an honest discussion about that, then you should have kept ypur mouth shut instead of making your initial comment to me.

Parts of astrology are true. Yep, look up, that's where the Gemini constellation is. Just like they say.

By your logic we cannot say it is a false religion. Because your logic is crap and is contrived to keep you from having an honest discussion.

You're not the one being clear, I was clear in my previous post when I took the time to be very specific and explain what I meant by that.
No, that was you tryong to equivocate and distract from the clear truth, which you then admitted in the same post when you talked about 9ne true god:

You believe all religions besides christianity are false. Period. And if you didn't want to have an honest discussion about that, then you should have kept ypur mouth shut instead of making your initial comment to me.

Parts of astrology are true. Yep, look up, that's where the Gemini constellation is. Just like they say.

By your logic we cannot say it is a false religion. Because your logic is crap and is contrived to keep you from having an honest discussion.

I never said that we shouldn't call religions a false religion. I just wanted to be very precise and clear in what I meant by that... which you chose to ignore for your own purposes and your goal to merely win an argument instead of have an actual discussion.

You're projecting, you're the one who doesn't want to have an honest discussion which is why I remembered (yet again) why I typically don't even bother posting to you.

Look at Archangel Michael and Gabriel, they worked for Yahweh and Allah both, as they must be the same God.

They are the same God!!

I see this said or written many many times and I don't understand why anyone would fear God. He loves us. My dad loved me. I didn't fear him at all. What I DID fear was disappointing him, or making him sad or angry. I loved him...so making him feel negatively for an action I did, or a word I said, or how I conducted myself in certain situations..yes...I feared the hurt look he would get. Same with God. But what I gather from the phrase : "I am a God Fearing woman/man", I take it as fearing He Who Loves Us. How can one fear Him knowing that?
Gracie it's a prayer to most of us christians before we take a chance/ leap of faith...

The "fear" of God is the beginning of wisdom. (Prov. 9:10) Wisdom not as measured by man......but God. The wise pays no attention to what man says (as man has been known to lie on occasion)......the wise follow the advise of God who cannot lie.

The wisest man in scripture tells us, "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's ALL. (or very purpose for being). -- Eccl 12:13

Why fear God? Fear not man who can kill your physical body, but fear Him who can put your very soul asunder for eternity.
Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." (John 14: 11 – 14)

Don't ya know that God does not hear the prayers of unrepentant sinners? "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that He cannot save, Nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, THAT HE WILL NOT HEAR................." -- Isaiah 59:1-9 A little humor to begin.......a good belly laugh is good for the soul...............

But....... actually when you are quoting from this portion of John 14, you are separating the subject matter and context via applying the conversation as taking place in being directed to EVERYONE (to future believers everywhere), in reality when you stay in context, Jesus is personally addressing His disciples whom where to be given the "supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit" in order to establish the infant church.

Take the entire chapter in the context in which it written, The Christ is speaking to Thomas (John 14:5), to Philip (John 14:8).
How was Jesus going to deliver on those promises made to these disciples? He tells them, "And I will pray the My Father and He shall give you another Comforter; that He might abide with you forever........" -- John 14:16

What of the rest of the world.........the general population? "Even the Spirit of Truth; WHOM THE WORLD CANNOT RECEIVE............"

Its a common error in reading and comprehending scripture.........the majority of people read the scriptures as if every word was directly addressing them when in reality the scriptures are but a record......a history that we are to learn and grow from.... The scriptures are taken away from their context, content and subject matter more than any other work of history.

When you read HOMER........do you assume that the author is directly addressing you with every word, every sentence? The scriptures are not different.........STAY IN CONTEXT, allow the text to direct your comprehension........

Does God actually hear your prayers? Of course.......sometimes He gives us what we need instead of what we want..............as would any loving parent who would never show respect among their children.............favoring one over another. God has no respect of person, none of us sinner or saint are promised anything extra in this life, the rain falls on the just and the unjust......... the age of the supernatural ended when the last personally hand picked Apostle of Christ breathed his last.....as only they had the authority from God to pass on these supernatural gifts via the laying on of hands (Acts 8:13-19)

Today, remains HOPE, FAITH and CHARITY/LOVE..........love being the greatest of the gifts from God.
Oh, I think I get it now. God promises countless miracles, and the only reason he doesn't deliver on them is because the people he promised all that to just aren't good enough. Seems odd that the percentage of those that do receive those miracles is exactly the same as random chance provides.
Cleary a person that has never attempted to comprehend the religion of Christianity or the Holy Scriptures. God "never" promised any future generation "countless" miracles. The age of miracles existed with the infant Christian Church in order to confirm the New Testament Covenant of Christ in proving that the message being taught was backed by the signs and wonders that only God could deliver. The need for "signs" and "wonders" ceased to be required when mankind was given sufficient teaching through the record found in the Holy Bible. Man today has everything he needs to search and find salvation through Christ Jesus. Its a matter of scriptural record.

We know that Faith, Hope and Love exists today.........but there has been no miracle preformed (signs and wonders) since the last apostle of Christ drew his last breath and the gift of being able to lay on hands and pass on some supernatural git passed. There was no one else authorized by God expect the hand picked apostles of Christ to call upon any gift provided by the Holy Spirit. The scriptures demonstrate that the gift of the supernatural required the work of an Apostle. (Acts 8) The disciples had to wait on Peter or another apostle before any sign or wonder could take place.

And Love? The apostle is addressing the supernatural as compared to the greatest gift of God.......LOVE.
"Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with, if there are tongues (the gift of speaking in a language never learned in order to speak to different peoples of earth), they will cease; if there is knowledge (supernatural knowledge) it will be done away with. For now (when? while the books of the New Testament were still being recorded during the times of the apostles) we know in part (no one disciple had the all the powers of the spirit and each was dependent upon others to get the complete message) and we prophesy in part; When the perfect comes; the partial will be done away with." -- 1 Cor. 13:8-10

Paul confirmed that the miraculous would end when THE PERFECT comes. There are some false prophets who claim that the PERFECT being spoken of was the Christ upon His 2nd coming. But the text says THE PERFECT not the PERFECT ONE. Some translations read The perfect as That which is perfect (that, not a he).

The point being made by Paul? During the age of the Apostles in the 1st century the revelations found in the cannon of the New and Old testaments were not completed. In the Book of James 1:25.......the same word as translated in Paul's record found in 1 Cor. is used in telling everyone what THE PERFECT is..........The Perfect Law of Liberty.

The complete work of the Holy Scriptures contains everything that is necessary for LIFE and GODLINESS. (2 Peter 1:3)

It would take a fool, grifter, or insane person to expect anyone to believe that God talks them today and personally delivers MIRACLES. Where are the signs and wonders? Show me the dead arising. The Blind from Birth Healed, Show someone who can turn water into wine. Heal crippled people.

The way God speaks today is through the record of Jesus Christ.........if you want to locate God, first know where to find the record left behind by the Holy Spirit......the inspired work of the Holy Scriptures. The Holy Spirit can live in you only if you listen to what He has to say......if you follow the advise found in scriptures.....what other kind of spirit is dwelling within you?

God has no respect of person.......the miracles recorded in scripture had nothing to do with personally delivering a mircale to anyone, the miraculous was preformed to CONFIRM THE WORD OF GOD. The perfect law of liberty has been delivered ONCE for all time (Jude 3). The faith of Christianity was delivered ONCE by the saints of the 1st century. There has been no new revelation (confirmed by signs and wonders) no new prophecy (confirmed by signs and wonders), no miraculous healing (confirmed by signs and wonders) no new books of the Bible........its all been delivered ONCE.

Last edited:

Providence favors those who love God. Not because of anything God does for them but because of what their love for God does for them because those are the people who ask themselves what was it that God wanted me to learn from this or that.

Forum List

Back