Why do some people say "God Fearing"?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
I see this said or written many many times and I don't understand why anyone would fear God. He loves us. My dad loved me. I didn't fear him at all. What I DID fear was disappointing him, or making him sad or angry. I loved him...so making him feel negatively for an action I did, or a word I said, or how I conducted myself in certain situations..yes...I feared the hurt look he would get. Same with God. But what I gather from the phrase : "I am a God Fearing woman/man", I take it as fearing He Who Loves Us. How can one fear Him knowing that?

I see this said or written many many times and I don't understand why anyone would fear God. He loves us. My dad loved me. I didn't fear him at all. What I DID fear was disappointing him, or making him sad or angry. I loved him...so making him feel negatively for an action I did, or a word I said, or how I conducted myself in certain situations..yes...I feared the hurt look he would get. Same with God. But what I gather from the phrase : "I am a God Fearing woman/man", I take it as fearing He Who Loves Us. How can one fear Him knowing that?
For most of history Christianity has been the hellfire and brimstone kind. It's just a hold over from the days when people worshiped a jealous and angry God that smote way more than he blessed.

It doesn't mean fear God but to fear the wrath of God if you commit sin. Its explained in Eccl 12:13-14. I try to live by this advice.

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 13 Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.

Why do some people say "God Fearing"?
It’s inane to fear something that doesn’t exist as perceived by theists.

For much of human history, unfortunately, the fear was not of a ‘god’ that doesn’t exist but the fear of theists who ‘justify’ harming and killing those accused of transgressions because a vengeful ‘god’ would demand such acts of cruelty.

Because it's what they mean. It is a regime of fear. People fear not being a special little boy who lives forever.

foggedinn Here are some dealings with men who feared god:

f7ba71b48cfa4fc596332137a6c107b2.jpg

The "fear" of God is the beginning of wisdom. (Prov. 9:10) Wisdom not as measured by man......but God. The wise pays no attention to what man says (as man has been known to lie on occasion)......the wise follow the advise of God who cannot lie.

The wisest man in scripture tells us, "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's ALL. (or very purpose for being). -- Eccl 12:13

Why fear God? Fear not man who can kill your physical body, but fear Him who can put your very soul asunder for eternity.

Last edited:
The "fear" of God is the beginning of wisdom. (Prov. 9:10) Wisdom not as measured by man......but God. The wise pays no attention to what man says (as man has been known to lie on occasion)......the wise follow the advise of God who cannot lie.

The wisest man in scripture tells us, "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's ALL. (or very purpose for being). -- Eccl 12:13

Why fear God? Fear not man who can kill your physical body, but fear Him who can put your very soul asunder for eternity.
Of course god can lie. He did it a lot.
Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." (John 14: 11 – 14)

I asked for a pony. ----- No pony yet.

What happened to all the Bible scholars here?

Proverbs 8:13​

“The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.”

Of course god can lie. He did it a lot.
Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." (John 14: 11 – 14)

I asked for a pony. ----- No pony yet.
Don't ya know that God does not hear the prayers of unrepentant sinners? "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that He cannot save, Nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, THAT HE WILL NOT HEAR................." -- Isaiah 59:1-9 A little humor to begin.......a good belly laugh is good for the soul...............

But....... actually when you are quoting from this portion of John 14, you are separating the subject matter and context via applying the conversation as taking place in being directed to EVERYONE (to future believers everywhere), in reality when you stay in context, Jesus is personally addressing His disciples whom where to be given the "supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit" in order to establish the infant church.

Take the entire chapter in the context in which it written, The Christ is speaking to Thomas (John 14:5), to Philip (John 14:8).
How was Jesus going to deliver on those promises made to these disciples? He tells them, "And I will pray the My Father and He shall give you another Comforter; that He might abide with you forever........" -- John 14:16

What of the rest of the world.........the general population? "Even the Spirit of Truth; WHOM THE WORLD CANNOT RECEIVE............"

Its a common error in reading and comprehending scripture.........the majority of people read the scriptures as if every word was directly addressing them when in reality the scriptures are but a record......a history that we are to learn and grow from.... The scriptures are taken away from their context, content and subject matter more than any other work of history.

When you read HOMER........do you assume that the author is directly addressing you with every word, every sentence? The scriptures are not different.........STAY IN CONTEXT, allow the text to direct your comprehension........

Does God actually hear your prayers? Of course.......sometimes He gives us what we need instead of what we want..............as would any loving parent who would never show respect among their children.............favoring one over another. God has no respect of person, none of us sinner or saint are promised anything extra in this life, the rain falls on the just and the unjust......... the age of the supernatural ended when the last personally hand picked Apostle of Christ breathed his last.....as only they had the authority from God to pass on these supernatural gifts via the laying on of hands (Acts 8:13-19)

Today, remains HOPE, FAITH and CHARITY/LOVE..........love being the greatest of the gifts from God.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back