Why do some people say "God Fearing"?

In the same way that, in a healthy scenario, while your own father loves you and you respect him when you're a child, you also don't want to do something stupid because you're afraid of his punishment and disappointment.

I see this said or written many many times and I don't understand why anyone would fear God. He loves us. My dad loved me. I didn't fear him at all. What I DID fear was disappointing him, or making him sad or angry. I loved him...so making him feel negatively for an action I did, or a word I said, or how I conducted myself in certain situations..yes...I feared the hurt look he would get. Same with God. But what I gather from the phrase : "I am a God Fearing woman/man", I take it as fearing He Who Loves Us. How can one fear Him knowing that?
Because it's a reference to His power and perfection. A standard we can't possibly meet. So any rational honest person should fear that meeting.

when interpreting a scriptural writing------it helps to have important words in
the ORIGINAL LANGUAGE

Well that's part an parcel of your faith. Your faith came first. To maintain it, you must believe god loves you. Else you would lose it.

And that's fine. If it makes you happy, i am happy for you. I still believe you are simply ginning up the basic transactional relationship you have with your god, with an expected personal reward for your faith. Without the expected reward, i think your faith would quickly vanish.
I don't see what difference it makes, God initiates the relationship, and if God's love that I see motivates me, which I think is true, what if it is contractual? I benefit from God's love. If God was not a loving being, would that really be God? If the Supreme Being, the Creator of all else of all the existence, was not with love, there would be no such thing as love, and nothing in existence would have love, and anything aware in existence would be miserable, as I see that would be. But there is love, because God is love, and because God initiates relationship with any of us, we benefit with that, and sure, we are believers trusting God, because of that.

God is still so awesome with existence of each of us totally dependent on God, awareness of this is fear of God.

don't see what difference it makes, God initiates the relationship, and if God's love that I see motivates me, which I think is true, what if it is contractual?
But you invented the fake God and the fake contract. Contracts have at least two parties.

But you invented the fake God and the fake contract. Contracts have at least two parties.

So why do I get the credit, or the blame if that is what it is, for inventing a God? Why when others spoke of God long before I was around? Why not seek the real God, if a fake one was invented? It seems you are angry about God, why then if God who I speak about is the source of love, besides the source of life and the existence that is in the universe? And if I have a contract with God, which is a new way of thinking for me, what of it? It is agreeable to me, and if God is love, why not have that?

Because you have no doubt invented what the god is, to you.

Easy to accuse such a thing, without there ever being any evidence I have done such a thing. Personal remarks are all that can be resorted to for arguing. What does that say? What about continuing in the delusion that God who is there is really not at all? Everything there is has explanation without God, it's claimed.

Easy to accuse such a thing, without there ever being any evidence I have done such a thing.
There are mountains of evidence to assume this about you. Not least of which is just by asking people what God is. Ask 1000 people, and you will get 1000 different answers.

So either you do this too, or someone else has dictated it to you and somehow controls any further thought you attempt on the subject.

Sorry dude, there is no way of getting around it.

There are mountains of evidence to assume this about you. Not least of which is just by asking people what God is. Ask 1000 people, and you will get 1000 different answers.

So either you do this too, or someone else has dictated it to you and somehow controls any further thought you attempt on the subject.

Sorry dude, there is no way of getting around it.

Alright then, why not share some of what you say is prominent evidence? You do not know me personally so I cannot take remarks personally. I did know there are claims of God I heard since I was really young. Yet ultimately with growing up I had to ask the questions myself. How did everything get here? You can't answer that to my satisfaction either. There is necessary being, with being unlimited, as necessary being must be, having the unlimited attributes that explain all existence that is found which had a beginning. That only corresponds to what we call God, whatever is believed about God. As unseen attributes such as love and such as justice, along with understanding, which are found among us in creation, must have the source, they would be from God who has those as attributes. And such being who is unlimited, and personal with those attributes, would communicate something to those of creation who wonder about God. What of all things would be most likely to be the communication? I would like hearing all the answers you can credibly give.

Alright then, why not share some of what you say is prominent evidence?
Okay!

Your idea of God and what God wants is different than someone from. The 16th century. Their idea was different than s.eone from the 13th century. And so on and so forth.

Yet you all possess(ed) the same instruction book.

Proof positive God is what you have made him to be.

That's because you love the devil. Yoi are his child
I don't find any more reason to believe the devil exists than I do to believe a god exists. What qualifications do you have to determine whose child I might be?

I don't find any more reason to believe the devil exists than I do to believe a god exists. What qualifications do you have to determine whose child I might be?
You don't need to believe in him. It's enough that he believes in you

Okay!

Your idea of God and what God wants is different than someone from. The 16th century. Their idea was different than s.eone from the 13th century. And so on and so forth.

Yet you all possess(ed) the same instruction book.

Proof positive God is what you have made him to be.

Still there were no specific examples with that. Very likely there were things that were believed differently, but since I don't know what, it makes no case that there are some things believed differently. And salvation is not based on believing everything rightly. It is about faith in Christ which is with repentance, to change from life of sinning. I am sure that I am more familiar with a number of things about this world than those living so many centuries ago. But that still is not about belief in things revealed in the Bible. And it just happens that some are more knowledgeable about some things in the Bible than others are.

Because it's a reference to His power and perfection. A standard we can't possibly meet. So any rational honest person should fear that meeting.
Not if they knew God was benevolent.

So that's all apologist nonsense.

What "fearing god" means is that you tiptoe a prescribed line, because you worry he will take away his special gift of magical eternal life.

Nothing more.

Not if they knew God was benevolent.

So that's all apologist nonsense.

What "fearing god" means is that you tiptoe a prescribed line, because you worry he will take away his special gift of magical eternal life.

Nothing more.
Incorrect. If you came face to face with the creator of existence, the logical thing would be to humble yourself. That's what it means.

Forum List

Back