What is a 'Safety Net'

DustyInfinity

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2018
Midwest
In a previous thread, someone posted their frustration with Republicans mocking the poor, and said that they are ruining the economy because they are not providing a safety net. I myself am one of these poor people, and I'm not really sure what Democrats want to accomplish. I'm disabled and I have a wife and a step-son I adopted. My whole family has healthcare and we go to the 'poor' clinic for health services. I've got low income insurance, and I have access to meds. Our state has a scholarship program for poor students, and my son is earning himself a shot at an education in a state school. Free school for everyone? That doesn't help any of the poor kids who are already earning their way to a scholarship. The Democrats are saying I should vote for more of working people's money, but that seems pretty pointless and destructive. I can tell you from my own experience that disabled people are not dying in the streets. I find the idea of universal income to be pointless as well. The argument is the government can give everyone a thousand dollars a month, and it will save money over the bureaucracy it takes to determine who actually needs help. This implies that it is impossible to effectively determine who needs aid, so you just give everyone cash. Overall, I think class warfare is pointless and destructive, and I don't see Republicans as mocking the poor, but I just see a frustration with a political party who wants to take money from working people while making life worse for everyone.

In a previous thread, someone posted their frustration with Republicans mocking the poor, and said that they are ruining the economy because they are not providing a safety net. I myself am one of these poor people, and I'm not really sure what Democrats want to accomplish. I'm disabled and I have a wife and a step-son I adopted. My whole family has healthcare and we go to the 'poor' clinic for health services. I've got low income insurance, and I have access to meds. Our state has a scholarship program for poor students, and my son is earning himself a shot at an education in a state school. Free school for everyone? That doesn't help any of the poor kids who are already earning their way to a scholarship. The Democrats are saying I should vote for more of working people's money, but that seems pretty pointless and destructive. I can tell you from my own experience that disabled people are not dying in the streets. I find the idea of universal income to be pointless as well. The argument is the government can give everyone a thousand dollars a month, and it will save money over the bureaucracy it takes to determine who actually needs help. This implies that it is impossible to effectively determine who needs aid, so you just give everyone cash. Overall, I think class warfare is pointless and destructive, and I don't see Republicans as mocking the poor, but I just see a frustration with a political party who wants to take money from working people while making life worse for everyone.

“Safety net” is code phrase for FREE SHIT for lowlifes.
francoHFW loves to use “safety net” to disguise his begging.

Yang's bill doesn't take from "working people."

He states specifically that it's a dividend from companies like Amazon who makes zillions of dollars off people and currently pay ZERO in taxes thanks to Republican policies.

A safety net is exactly what it says, a net that no American should be able to drop below of. A G a month for everyone would stimulate entrepreneurship, business, creativity, etc. the benefits outweigh everything else...by leaps and bounds.

Nice strawman thread though.

He states specifically that it's a dividend from companies like Amazon who makes zillions of dollars off people and currently pay ZERO in taxes thanks to Republican policies.

A safety net is exactly what it says, a net that no American should be able to drop below of. A G a month for everyone would stimulate entrepreneurship, business, creativity, etc. the benefits outweigh everything else...by leaps and bounds.

So is that the next standard, if a company makes zillions and pays ZERO in taxes we'll take from them? They're paying zero taxes because our tax code ALLOWS them to pay zero taxes. If you don't like the tax code, change it. After all how many companies make zillions.

Did you ever take a course in economics (and pass it?)
How in the world does robbing a corporations piggy bank and GIVING it to some non-working slug stimulate entrepreneurship, business, creativity?
It does exactly the opposite!

A roof over your head, not worrying about your next meal, medical care if you are sick, clothing,

We just gave a $1.5 trillion tax cut to our wealthiest.....we can afford it

most of the people who bitch about "free stuff" are drawing social security, and have medicare for insurance - their safety net.

most of the people who bitch about "free stuff" are drawing social security, and have medicare for insurance - their safety net.
Tax deductions on their kids, mortgage deduction

Free Stuff

That is part of my point. The safety net is already there. In my case, disability, I can't see a need to transform the country. I guess the next logical question would be the working poor. Their kids also have programs for their children to attend public universities if they keep up grades and follow guidelines. They are also eligible for medical care and medicine. So again, what safety net are the Democrats pulling for? Medicare for all makes no sense, because the people who need it already have it. Free college is also misguided, because kids that want to go already have that opportunity. In similar threads, my biggest question is always why seek huge one size fits all schemes which target people who don't even need them? We already have programs in place for people who need help. I don't care if you make them better, but why provide mammograms to men and prostrate checks for women while driving costs even higher?

You never answered the question. What is the 'net no American should be below'? How is this net not already in place? In the end, you are siphoning money from huge companies to provide services for people who don't need them, while at the same time making them less effective and more expensive. What is the reason for doing this?

A roof over your head, not worrying about your next meal, medical care if you are sick, clothing,

So you are not responsible for any of that? To think there is enough money floating around to provide for everyone who doesn't want to work is insane. If you are worried about the people who need help, guess what, that help already exists. Make it better, sure, but extreme transformation can only make things worse.

So you are not responsible for any of that? To think there is enough money floating around to provide for everyone who doesn't want to work is insane. If you are worried about the people who need help, guess what, that help already exists. Make it better, sure, but extreme transformation can only make things worse.
There is enough money to help those who need help

Nobody has ever been better off by receiving less

How much does Yang's bill cost?

Amazon started up under Clinton. Why didn't he put policies in place to tax them?
Obama was president for eight years. Why didn't he put policies in place to tax them?

Oh you made the mistake of confusing the poor with the losers.

Since most here do not like the humanitarian answer of why we have a welfare state I'll give the more cynical reason. It's revolution insurance. If you let too many people get hungry in a rich nation they will end up eating the rich. Nothing destabilizes a nation more completely than widespread need ignored by the elites.

That is part of my point. The safety net is already there. In my case, disability, I can't see a need to transform the country. I guess the next logical question would be the working poor. Their kids also have programs for their children to attend public universities if they keep up grades and follow guidelines. They are also eligible for medical care and medicine. So again, what safety net are the Democrats pulling for? Medicare for all makes no sense, because the people who need it already have it. Free college is also misguided, because kids that want to go already have that opportunity. In similar threads, my biggest question is always why seek huge one size fits all schemes which target people who don't even need them? We already have programs in place for people who need help. I don't care if you make them better, but why provide mammograms to men and prostrate checks for women while driving costs even higher?
Sounds like you are OK with safety net programs that benefit you, but programs you don't use or need and designed for other folks are unnecessary.

A cut in government confiscation of income is NOT a giveaway.
Lets dispel that lie.
Most of those things you listed are my personal responsibility, not an inherent right.
Not arguing against a reasonable safety net to help folks get on their feet. However, many take advantage and make it a way of life to live off the generosity of others.

A cut in government confiscation of income is NOT a giveaway.
Lets dispel that lie.
Most of those things you listed are my personal responsibility, not an inherent right.
Not arguing against a reasonable safety net to help folks get on their feet. However, many take advantage and make it a way of life to live off the generosity of others.
Taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilized society

Oliver Wendel Holmes

The "safety net?"

That's taking hard earned tax payer money and giving it to non working, irresponsible freeloading Americans.

That's the "safety net."

Forum List

Back