USMB Coffee Shop IV

I don't get it, Beautress. As Foxy said..you are beautiful in soul, kind, sweet, giving, loving. Why would you even have to THINK about calling off the engagement? This guy...well....I won't say it, but it will be a HUGE mistake on your part to marry him. I'd have tossed him out long ago. I don't understand why you let him live with you, either. Is it because you don't want to be alone? Fine. MrG and I will come live with ya then, lol. You can do your quilts, I will do my clay, MrG can be the maintenance man when he isn't sawing logs (sleeping), lol.

Robbery. Y'all are way too nice. If I woke up to someone rummaging around in my bedroom, the only sound coming from me would be a gunshot. I sleep with my 38 under my pillow. The neighborhood we live in is awful, and I refuse to live in fear. Instead, I live in readiness. I'll shoot any asshole that enters my domain uninvited. Period.
Well, actually he lives in a room down the hall and I think he was a reincarnated porcupine at birth.... but he looked like a man the first time I saw him. I learned a good lesson about love at first sight. It doesn't always take into consideration compatibility. I'm a bit independent as ceo of my own business, and he needs a 24-hour maid service and was expecting that of me with sandpaper and vinegar as payment.
Like Johnny Cash's famous song, "Ring of Fire," it burn, burn, burn, burned...

Had physical therapy twice this week on knee replacement recuperation and am getting better at climbing the staircase. Also, I'm going to the workout gym and doing lightweight firmups on arms. I walked 1 lap around the workout area. 14 laps may be a mile. It takes 6 months to get over knee replacement, so I'm going to add 1 lap each week if it feels okay. I'm not used to walking, but by walking really slow I have less chance of stumbling. It really helped to fast every other day to take off 30 something pounds quickly.

Every thing I read says to drink green tea to keep your appetite down. So far it has been a great help along with my scoop of Okinawa powder that is supposed to deal with middle earth....

Have Great evening everyone. I still have 4 more pages of basic Spanish language to read and need to do vespers for peace on earth and strength from on high in these times of Covid avoidance, riots, and buildings on coastal Florida where one too many hurricanes and rainfall softened the substrate soil in areas near the ocean. I feel the need to remember those peoples' loved ones and friends in prayer. :huddle: Good night.

Also, thanks to Oddball for his cheery cartoons on Saturdays. :thup:

Finally got rolling on the house painting last weekend and have been pecking at the trim after work. Should be finished this weekend.
Before...
20210529_144852.jpg

After...
20210709_182904.jpg

Fifty bucks a gallon, and three five gallon pails later.

Finally got rolling on the house painting last weekend and have been pecking at the trim after work. Should be finished this weekend.
Before...View attachment 510830
After...View attachment 510831

Really looks good. I didn't think I would like the colors you described, but I do.

I just showed my girlfriend these pictures, and her reaction was, "WOW, that's so pretty! I want to do my parents' house that color." She also wanted me to ask what specific color and paint you used. :)

I just showed my girlfriend these pictures, and her reaction was, "WOW, that's so pretty! I want to do my parents' house that color." She also wanted me to ask what specific color and paint you used. :)
We went with what's called Calvery, in the dark blues from Pittsburgh Paints. Used a flat sheen. The trim is a dark grey called Impropable. With the white windows and doors it really stands out.
Dark colors are becoming popular with new builds and folks are bailing on maintenance free siding in the midwest as painted siding is more durable and can be painted easily when sun faded. Vinyl doesn't do well in our climate between hail storms and the freezing winters.

Quick break, now back to more painting. Yay.

Last edited:
That Windsor blue pops the brickwork around the garden. My mother loved blue, and I caught the infection. Good job.

hey foxfire,when you lived in kansas do you ever recall seeing this bittersweet moment advertised over the years maybe in a commercial there? how about you Beautress,I know your not into sports but i thought you might have seen it in commericals over the years? petro Oddball how bout you?

please watch it,dont just take a look at the picture there.

hey foxfire,when you lived in kansas do you ever recall seeing this bittersweet moment advertised over the years maybe in a commercial there? how about you Beautress,I know your not into sports but i thought you might have seen it in commericals over the years? petro Oddball how bout you?

Wow. 1980. I was in Oregon with children in grade school, and my baby sister and nephew were living with us in addition to my son and daughter. I was busy with teaching Sunday School, being a church elder, raising chickens, and dealing with a bipolar child who lost her mother at age 11 and needed me to oversee her high school junior year and complete handmade rag dolls for a church bazaar. I was too busy to watch tv or radio with breadbaking and two half acre gardens for all our vegetables. Sorry I missed that game with too much work to do, not to mention learning church curriculum to teach to sixth grade students two of which were scholastic geniuses which added more hours of work each week.

Your description of that sweet moment of sending one outta the park with nearly loaded bases was an awesome moment of professional athletes' 15 minutes of fame, which slipped right on by me. "lo siento..." I'm really sorry, LA RAM FAN. ...

Wow. 1980. I was in Oregon with children in grade school, and my baby sister and nephew were living with us in addition to my son and daughter. I was busy with teaching Sunday School, being a church elder, raising chickens, and dealing with a bipolar child who lost her mother at age 11 and needed me to oversee her high school junior year and complete handmade rag dolls for a church bazaar. I was too busy to watch tv or radio with breadbaking and two half acre gardens for all our vegetables. Sorry I missed that game with too much work to do, not to mention learning church curriculum to teach to sixth grade students two of which were scholastic geniuses which added more hours of work each week.

Your description of that sweet moment of sending one outta the park with nearly loaded bases was an awesome moment of professional athletes' 15 minutes of fame, which slipped right on by me. "lo siento..." I'm really sorry, LA RAM FAN. ...

Well I kinda figured you did not see it back then cause I know your not into sports that’s why I asked had you ever seen that clip before in a commercial ,I am guessing That was the first time you have seen it.correct? Oh and that was hardly 15 minutes of fame fir George Brett,he is one of the greatest players to play the game.he was probably the best clutch hitter in the game ever matter of fact.

now hadthat been a journeyman hitter who only lasted a few seasons who did that then that would be a correct statement.I remember watching him on tv as a kid,he always looked so relaxed at the plate.

it was definitely a bittersweet moment for me because after the idiot the white rat whitey herzog always cost the royals from going to the World Series against the Yankees with stupid managing decisions losing the series to them three years in a row from 76,77,and 78 losing to them in 5 games in 76 and 77 and then 4 games in 78 it was indeed bittersweet when they faced them again in 1980 and finally beat them.that was the last time they would ever face each other in the playoffs again after thst matter of fact. After having my heart broken all those years by the white rat herzog,they not only beat the Yankees finally that year,but they swept them in 3 straight that made it all the more special and bittersweet fir me. :yes_text12: at least they never got swept by the Yankees.:abgg2q.jpg: I always said thst if the royals would just get rid of that idiot whitey herzog,they would beat the Yankees,I was a prophet cause once they did,sure enough they did indeed beat them.:abgg2q.jpg: That was all it took.

I think you can understand why even today when I watch that clip it gives me goosebumps after having my heart broken fir three straight years in a row prior to thst.:) The royals radio announcer for that game,he said when Brett hit thst home run the crowd got so silent you could hear a pin drop.lol that’s cause the game was in New York.lol

Last edited:

We watched a LOT of Royals games during those years. Don't recall seeing the other, but oh my what a catch. And what a throw.

We watched a LOT of Royals games during those years. Don't recall seeing the other, but oh my what a catch. And what a throw.

When you say you don’t recall seeing the other are you referring to bretts homer or the twins game. I recently went down memory lane a few months ago And watched that series again ironically of the twins cards World Series oddly enough.

So oddball you live in the twin cities. I was everybit as happy as you were your twins won that series because the manager of the cardinals was none other than the white rat.to no surprise,he was the same old whitey,made idiotic managing decisions that cost the cardinals the World Series,different team same old whitey. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I called up my parents that night and asked if they had watched the game and sure enough they did,I said to them,once again the white rat cost them the World Series and they both said “he sure did.” :lmao: :rofl: :abgg2q.jpg:

Last edited:
I think I do remember that home run but can't be sure. George Brett was everybody's person favorite in that era--he had over 300 home runs before he put his bat down.

Beautress writing about 1980 got me thinking. That was 41 years ago meaning most stuff from that era is now antique/vintage or nearly so. In 1980 we had a kid in college, Hombre managed a claims office in Kansas & I was driving 2/3rds of Kansas and flying all over the country working for the Episcopal Diocese of Western Ks and doing communication workshops/training for the National Episcopal Church. (No, I am not Episcopalian.)

Loved the job but life was sometimes difficult due to 21+% interest rates, double digit inflation, high unemployment. Child abductions and messing with kid's Halloween candy were in the news, but in truth those issues were rare.

Many of those coming of age in the 1980's remember them with great fondness. We weren't at war with anybody. In 1980, we bought our first Rubik's cube, wore fake fur, were introduced to acrylic & polyester, and started watching CNN on TV. A new Buick Grand Prix cost less than $8k. We listened to Bette Midler's "The Rose" and "Escape" (the pina colada song) on the radio. Home computers were beginning to catch on though business wouldn't begin giving up its mainframes until 1981.

So where were you and what were you doing in 1980 assuming you had been born by then? :)

Forum List

Back