USMB Coffee Shop IV

Beautress writing about 1980 got me thinking. That was 41 years ago meaning most stuff from that era is now antique/vintage or nearly so. In 1980 we had a kid in college, Hombre managed a claims office in Kansas & I was driving 2/3rds of Kansas and flying all over the country working for the Episcopal Diocese of Western Ks and doing communication workshops/training for the National Episcopal Church. (No, I am not Episcopalian.)

Loved the job but life was sometimes difficult due to 21+% interest rates, double digit inflation, high unemployment. Child abductions and messing with kid's Halloween candy were in the news, but in truth those issues were rare.

Many of those coming of age in the 1980's remember them with great fondness. We weren't at war with anybody. In 1980, we bought our first Rubik's cube, wore fake fur, were introduced to acrylic & polyester, and started watching CNN on TV. A new Buick Grand Prix cost less than $8k. We listened to Bette Midler's "The Rose" and "Escape" (the pina colada song) on the radio. Home computers were beginning to catch on though business wouldn't begin giving up its mainframes until 1981.

So where were you and what were you doing in 1980 assuming you had been born by then? :)
1980, I was in transition mode from Theater COMSEC Logistic Support Center to the Communications Center Ft Leonard Wood. Major difference.

Posted on Facebook by a friend in El Paso this morning. Not sure if the photo was taken today but that is El Paso. Thought it worth sharing.
1626286214579.png

Last edited:
I am a qualified engineer trained in microprocessor technology and I do not recommend hitting computers, but I tried to get my second computer working and it was dead. I tried starting it up several times without success, so in a fit of angst I hit it, and lo and behold it started working.

I am a qualified engineer trained in microprocessor technology and I do not recommend hitting computers, but I tried to get my second computer working and it was dead. I tried starting it up several times without success, so in a fit of angst I hit it, and lo and behold it started working.
Take it from somebody who is 100% untrained in these things and not all that techy, I find the best policy is to just go with whatever works. :)

Well...been semi packing. Getting rid of A LOT of crap I don't need or want, in preparation. Got a phone call yesterday from further up north. Been on the list about 4 or 5 months and she called...asked if I still wanted to move there. I said YES!!! So she said she was sending off our info for background check to her boss, and will be in touch SOON.

Keep yer fingers crossed. I so much want out of here.

Well...been semi packing. Getting rid of A LOT of crap I don't need or want, in preparation. Got a phone call yesterday from further up north. Been on the list about 4 or 5 months and she called...asked if I still wanted to move there. I said YES!!! So she said she was sending off our info for background check to her boss, and will be in touch SOON.

Best wishes, gracie. Prayers up for a far better future for you. :huddle:

Got up ar 5 am this morning and went to the gymn shortly thereafter. I condition arm muscles with the rowing machine, arm overheads and 25 minutes at the slowest pace on the walking machine. I know a lot of you guys who lift weights or even walk the dog(s) every day would laugh to know I went less than 2 tenths of a mile in 15 minutes, but post knee replacement is kind of a double to the rear march bit in real life, and I stop before the pain starts. :auiqs.jpg:

Other than that, my last physical therapy session ends a week from tomorrow, so I hope to get my life back after that. And right now, most of the pain is gone from.the operation although they say you have go watch your step for 6 months, and that's 4.5 months hence.

I found my handmade mini flash card collection from a Spanish I class of about 30 years ago. There seems to be over a thousand 1x2" mini cards, a few of which are illegible, but sadly none of them are dog-eared which means I have to learn them all over again. :sigh2:

Prayers up for everyone and hope you have a lovely "el fin de semana" (weekend), good weather, and happy trails all summer. :thup:

Got all my fingers and toes crossed for you Gracie.

Hopefully this past month is now in our personal history book and is done with. We finally got to see our car and so sad, really beat up, collision damage, two flat tires, interior completely trashed, and they found so much fentanyl residue as well as other potent drugs inside they wouldn't even let us open the doors, much less retrieve any personal items. Big huge BIOHAZARD written all over it. Even our tag was gone--the thieves replaced it with a tag from another stolen car so say the police.

So USAA told us we could keep our rental car until they could get our money to us for the total loss and then we would have seven days to get new wheels before the rental contract would be up.

We spent most of yesterday at the E.R. with Aunt Betty and Hombre misjudged a turn in the hospital's torn up parking lot and hit a curb blowing out a tire and damaging the rim just a bit. Enterprise didn't think the rim was going to be expensive to fix--they would replace the tire--USAA wrote it up as a minor collision claim but we needed to turn in the VW Atlas for repairs--beautiful car but huge and not for everyday driving for us. And because USAA has been so great through all this--we would recommend them to ANYBODY--we elected not to take another rental car but just took money out of our rather meager savings and bought a car. Got a good deal at our Subaru dealership. USAA should get our money to us within the next few days.

So maybe it's all done. I know compared to what a lot of you have been facing, our problems are quite minor, but it has all been very stressful for us. And I pray it's over.

Forum List

Back