......Supreme Court makes my Muslim neighbor happy....

"The Supreme Court on Tuesday struck down a Maine education policy that made K-12 schools with religious instruction ineligible for taxpayer-backed tuition aid, continuing the conservative majority court’s general trend of ruling for religious interests.
The 6-3 decision broke along ideological lines, with the court’s six conservatives ruling that the state’s so-called sectarian exclusion violated constitutional religious protections."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My community has an Islamic elementary and middle-school (students go to a public secular high school after middle-school).
The Muslim school is a private school funded by tuitions and donations from the Muslim community.

Now, with this SC ruling that school should be able to access real-estate tax income for their funding.

I called my neighbor (a wonderful man, btw.....good husband, father, community member)....anyway, I called him when the news broke. He was prudent in his enthusiasm but told me any tax subsidization of their school and curriculum would always be welcome.

We also have a fair to middling population of Hindus here. But I'm not sure about their schooling options.

So great that we can now publicly support Muslim Schools

What a country

yea, public schools....
Not private schools who will now be getting public money....

Something tells me the folks who had a hissy fit over muslims building a community center in Lower Manhattan is being full of shit when it comes to the idea of muslim private schools being treated as equally as Christian private schools...

By the way, I was all for muslims building a community center in Lower Manhattan....but for some reason, "Conservatives" wanted to treat them differently...are yall over that now??

So a Satanic School could apply for this as well.

Hey, who opened what box?

All part of the ongoing campaign to funnel tax money to Jesus schools.
What do Muslims think of your prized faggots?
Asking for a friend.

Bro, this isn't for muslim schools...just pure Christian private schools only......
That would be discrimination, Mr. Poindexter. The First Amendment wouldn't allow discrimination to the best of my knowledge unless information showed intention to use taxpayer money to fund educators brainwashing fundamentalist terrorists to hurt other Americans.

That would be discrimination, Mr. Poindexter. The First Amendment wouldn't allow discrimination to the best of my knowledge unless information showed intention to use taxpayer money to fund educators brainwashing fundamentalist terrorists to hurt other Americans.
Democrats would allow it, and excuse it under "freedom of religion", because they have in the past.

Religious freedom is for all religions just not your cult cowboy.

Who knew!

ps......and I hate to sound dense, obtuse, naïve', or unaware, but.......but exactly which cult do I now belong to?
ps2.....please, don't throw me into one of those that makes me do that self-flagellation thingy , or eat crickets, or sleep with gals who won't shower because of water reverence. Or similar stuff. Please.

It's interesting that a mod edited your post.

White 6 :
- Very cool of you to inform the poster which mod did so. I mean that sincerely.
- I think you are treading on dangerous ground. Where does it end? Will you also censor the often derogatorily-used term "redneck," which some people find offensive, but I embrace and use for myself in a funny way?
- I thought USMB was a free speech board. Slurs can be hurtful, I suppose, but they are just words, and other permitted words can be used to convey the same message.
- Where is the rule about slur words? I searched the four sticky threads in politics, and I don't see it. I would like to read it, please, so I can follow it (or leave).
- Posters who post slur words say more about themselves than they do other people. It lets us know who the idiots are.

Thanks.
Jim
It's arbitrary and bad optics. One can suppose that it hits the Mod too close to home. It's a word that deals with actual events today, so why can't we talk about it @white_6

The solution to improving public schools is to make them compete for students, and thus funding.

When you are the only game in town, why do anything but the bare minimum?

You totally misunderstand.
Private schools reject problem or special ed needs students, so their costs are automatically way less.
They public schools are stuck with all the problems because they are not allowed to pass on anyone.
Public schools have never been the only game in town, and they never get nearly the same level of funding of private schools.

"The Supreme Court on Tuesday struck down a Maine education policy that made K-12 schools with religious instruction ineligible for taxpayer-backed tuition aid, continuing the conservative majority court’s general trend of ruling for religious interests.
The 6-3 decision broke along ideological lines, with the court’s six conservatives ruling that the state’s so-called sectarian exclusion violated constitutional religious protections."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My community has an Islamic elementary and middle-school (students go to a public secular high school after middle-school).
The Muslim school is a private school funded by tuitions and donations from the Muslim community.

Now, with this SC ruling that school should be able to access real-estate tax income for their funding.

I called my neighbor (a wonderful man, btw.....good husband, father, community member)....anyway, I called him when the news broke. He was prudent in his enthusiasm but told me any tax subsidization of their school and curriculum would always be welcome.

We also have a fair to middling population of Hindus here. But I'm not sure about their schooling options.

Personally I think all public funded schools should go nowhere near religion at all. I'd prefer it that no school was religious. You want to learn religion, learn it at home.

I don't know a single Christian who would oppose Muslim families sending their children to Islamic schools, or Jewish children to Jewish schools. Do you? It is not my intent, nor anyone I know, to "force" or even "compel" students of another faith to Christian schools.

All we are to do as Christians is get the word out. Whether it takes root or not in a soul is not our concern. So forcing children to attend schools their parents don't want? no.

Private schools reject problem or special ed needs students, so their costs are automatically way less.
They public schools are stuck with all the problems because they are not allowed to pass on anyone.
Public schools have never been the only game in town, and they never get nearly the same level of funding of private schools.

Public school teacher here in favor of vouchers; HOWEVER, this point is huge. If private schools are going to take public money than they should be held to public school expectations. That is: they too should take special ed students, etc. If not, they can always opt for taking no public money at all, including vouchers, and then reject whomever they like. Some parents would certainly pay out of pocket for that "privilege"

That is: they too should take special ed students, etc. If not, they can always opt for taking no public money at all, including vouchers, and then reject whomever they like."

Thank you, poster Sue.
You and I often enough paddle in different canoes.....but what you offer above a common sense view that should be apparent to all.

Do special Ed students count towards the metrics used to evaluate schools?

And with regards to problem students, I recall my catholic school having some real assholes that made it all the way through, the nuns saw it as a challenge.

Personally I think all public funded schools should go nowhere near religion at all. I'd prefer it that no school was religious. You want to learn religion, learn it at home.
My wife is a retired Lutheran School teacher. We sent our sons to a Lutheran school. Our grandkids are all going to one.

The Lutherans have a very good school system like the Catholics do.

Typically in a school districts the Lutheran, Catholic and most of the time the other established religious school have the best academic record and the students score very high on achievement test.

In other words they work very well to provide a quality education.

The schools are open to everybody. In the Lutheran school where my sons went there were Jewish and Hindu students and other students from just about every background. There was no discrimination due to race.

Some religion was taught in the class room but mostly the school concentrated on Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Good Science program. Usually there were devotions one morning a week that lasted for an hour. There was usually a Christmas program. If a student was not Christian and didn't want to participate in any of the religious stuff they were excused and there was no penalty.

The parents of the students were taxpayers and probably paid more in taxes than the average public school family.

It is a good thing that the Supreme Court has decided that a state cannot discriminate against religious supported schools when handing out vouchers.

Yes, there will be some assholes that will take advantage of it but probably very little.

We were founded as a Christian nation. This ruling says Christian schools may receive such funding.

We were founded as a Christian nation.
That was then. This is now.
Times change. People change. Faith changes.

ps......the Natives here in the 1500's had their own nations (and Gods) .....until trespassers, usurpers, killers, from Europe showed up.

I hope our government officials aren't dumb enough to give money to Muslims.

Well, poster Partiv if they gotta give it to Christianists......then they gotta give it to Islamists. America works like that.

Are you fearful that their curriculum will include an explanation of Sharia Law?

Well, accept it.

It will include Sharia.

Forum List

Back