......Supreme Court makes my Muslim neighbor happy....

yea, public schools....
Not private schools who will now be getting public money....

Something tells me the folks who had a hissy fit over muslims building a community center in Lower Manhattan is being full of shit when it comes to the idea of muslim private schools being treated as equally as Christian private schools...

By the way, I was all for muslims building a community center in Lower Manhattan....but for some reason, "Conservatives" wanted to treat them differently...are yall over that now??

yes private schools that have gotten or get govt funds have always been subject to regulations

this is why private colleges have to comply with Title 9 for example.

This is nothing new, private schools have gotten tax payer dollars in the past.

yes private schools that have gotten or get govt funds have always been subject to regulations

this is why private colleges have to comply with Title 9 for example.

This is nothing new, private schools have gotten tax payer dollars in the past.
So if taxpayer funds already go to schools that promote religious instruction - then why was this SC ruling necessary??

Sounds like this ruling is more about doing away with the establishment clause....

And the logical next question should be.....doesn't that mean government should fund private and public education equally??

FVyJm9BX0AMT56Q.jpg

So if taxpayer funds already go to schools that promote religious instruction - then why was this SC ruling necessary??

Sounds like this ruling is more about doing away with the establishment clause....

And the logical next question should be.....doesn't that mean government should fund private and public education equally??

View attachment 660519
they were Chanlleging a specific state (Miane) specific law that forbid it

You’re question was about can they be regulated if they get tax funds…which again seemed rather silly since it was at least i thought common knowledge that the govt can regulated private schools.

and no…private schools don’t depend on total public funding. The law in question barred private religious schools, from taking part in even applying for govt programs.

they were Chanlleging a specific state (Miane) specific law that forbid it

You’re question was about can they be regulated if they get tax funds…which again seemed rather silly since it was at least i thought common knowledge that the govt can regulated private schools.
No, it is not common knowledge...

Since a big part of the appeal for "private religious schools" that is pushed by the anti-public schools crowd is the fact private schools "ARE NOT" regulated by Big Government like public schools....

View attachment 660519

Pay attention: school taxes are assessed on property owners whether or not they have kids in school. 100% of that funding likely went to the local Groomer School to support the district children in attendance there. If a parent chooses to take his child out of public school and into a charter or religious school, that does not make the district kid count +1. It's a wash

"The Supreme Court on Tuesday struck down a Maine education policy that made K-12 schools with religious instruction ineligible for taxpayer-backed tuition aid, continuing the conservative majority court’s general trend of ruling for religious interests.
The 6-3 decision broke along ideological lines, with the court’s six conservatives ruling that the state’s so-called sectarian exclusion violated constitutional religious protections."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My community has an Islamic elementary and middle-school (students go to a public secular high school after middle-school).
The Muslim school is a private school funded by tuitions and donations from the Muslim community.

Now, with this SC ruling that school should be able to access real-estate tax income for their funding.

I called my neighbor (a wonderful man, btw.....good husband, father, community member)....anyway, I called him when the news broke. He was prudent in his enthusiasm but told me any tax subsidization of their school and curriculum would always be welcome.

We also have a fair to middling population of Hindus here. But I'm not sure about their schooling options.

The so-called "Wise Latina" is stone cold stupid. I can't even fully express the level of her stupidity for the position she holds--truly words fail.

There IS no "separation of church and state" in the Constitution. Nor in the Declaration. It comes from a letter, nothing more. What IS in the Constitution is only this: "Congress shall MAKE NO LAW respecting the establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

That only means there is no FORMAL state religion, like the Church of England. All this separation stuff if a mirage in the fevered imagination of Leftists. What they really think is that the official state religion is secularism. It's not. Time for a course correction.

And yes, Muslims can send their children to Islamic schools. Why in the world do people think Christians have a problem with this?

Since a big part of the appeal for "private religious schools" that is pushed by the anti-public schools crowd is the fact private schools "ARE NOT" regulated by Big Government like public schools....

I have taught in public schools since 1993. I have seen that "regulation". Believe me. In many cases, no thank you.

So does that mean government will have a reason to have regulatory oversight over private schools -- seeing as tho that private school is receiving taxpayer money? Or No?

They already have oversight due to the setting of standards for various diplomas.

NY Catholic school students can get a Regents diploma, and the school has to meet the requirements of said diploma already.

Trump INDIRECTLY did a good thing here.

Why he refused to reform our broken educational system is beyond me, but at least this is a start

So a Satanic School could apply for this as well.

Hey, who opened what box?

That would be horrid. God help the poor children whose parents do that. But yes, if Satanists could get enough people together to buy into their madness, they could open a school. They might be open to laws about child abuse if the kids in their are doing strange things...I'll just leave it at that. But Christians know well we are not the only religion who can open a school.

I think NY is trying to insert themselves into religious education at Yeshivas and they're, rightfully, getting a lot of push back

yea, public schools....
Not private schools who will now be getting public money....

Something tells me the folks who had a hissy fit over muslims building a community center in Lower Manhattan is being full of shit when it comes to the idea of muslim private schools being treated as equally as Christian private schools...

By the way, I was all for muslims building a community center in Lower Manhattan....but for some reason, "Conservatives" wanted to treat them differently...are yall over that now??

If a State wants to offer school vouchers, they can't deny schools with a religious background the same access they would allow other PRIVATE schools.

The 1st amendment was never intended to be hostile to Religion or Religious instruction, just prevent the FEDERAL government from mandating one, and making people pay for it.

Before the 14th amendment States could have had State Religions if they wanted to.

I think NY is trying to insert themselves into religious education at Yeshivas and they're, rightfully, getting a lot of push back

If the Yeshiva wants to issue a Regents Diploma, the Yeshivas have to meet the requirements for the various topics the Regents is issued for. Catholic and Lutheran Schools do the same thing.

ah never heard that. Certainly if they avoid any public funds they can avoid a lot of regulations.

but schools like Georgetown, and Notre Dame have to follow govt regulations. You didn’t think they had to follow Title 9? really?

Forum List

Back