......Supreme Court makes my Muslim neighbor happy....

where you under the impression no tax dollars went to schools like notre dame and georgetown?
Yep! But the 2 required religious study courses don't involve being quizzed on religion as if it is true. Not the same type of religious instruction.

"The Supreme Court on Tuesday struck down a Maine education policy that made K-12 schools with religious instruction ineligible for taxpayer-backed tuition aid, continuing the conservative majority court’s general trend of ruling for religious interests.
The 6-3 decision broke along ideological lines, with the court’s six conservatives ruling that the state’s so-called sectarian exclusion violated constitutional religious protections."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My community has an Islamic elementary and middle-school (students go to a public secular high school after middle-school).
The Muslim school is a private school funded by tuitions and donations from the Muslim community.

Now, with this SC ruling that school should be able to access real-estate tax income for their funding.

I called my neighbor (a wonderful man, btw.....good husband, father, community member)....anyway, I called him when the news broke. He was prudent in his enthusiasm but told me any tax subsidization of their school and curriculum would always be welcome.

We also have a fair to middling population of Hindus here. But I'm not sure about their schooling options.
Probably get a better education at your neighbor's school than many public schools these days.

Thankfully, this ends the Mod edited slur word (White 6) monopoly on taxpayer education dollars
It's interesting that a mod edited your post.

White 6 :
- Very cool of you to inform the poster which mod did so. I mean that sincerely.
- I think you are treading on dangerous ground. Where does it end? Will you also censor the often derogatorily-used term "redneck," which some people find offensive, but I embrace and use for myself in a funny way?
- I thought USMB was a free speech board. Slurs can be hurtful, I suppose, but they are just words, and other permitted words can be used to convey the same message.
- Where is the rule about slur words? I searched the four sticky threads in politics, and I don't see it. I would like to read it, please, so I can follow it (or leave).
- Posters who post slur words say more about themselves than they do other people. It lets us know who the idiots are.

Thanks.
Jim

If you are an uninvolved, lazy parent who doesn't take advantages of the resources of the public school, maybe.
Parents should not let schools or the internet raise their children; that's for sure.

But it's reasonable for parents to expect their children to receive an accredited education, and the ruling applies as follows:

"Maine has enacted a program of tuition assistance for parents who live in school districts that neither operate a secondary school of their own nor contract with a particular school in another district. Under that program, parents designate the secondary school they would like their child to attend, and the school district transmits payments to that school to help defray the costs of tuition. Participating private schools must meet certain requirements to be eligible to receive tuition payments, including either accreditation from the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) or approval from the Maine Department of Education. But they may otherwise differ from Maine public schools in various ways. Since 1981, however, Maine has limited tuition assistance payments to “nonsectarian” schools.....

[long redaction]

Maine’s “nonsectarian” requirement for its otherwisegenerally available tuition assistance payments violates the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment. Regardless of how the benefit and restriction are described, the program operates to identify and exclude otherwise eligible schools on the basis of their religious exercise. The judgment of the Court of Appeals is reversed, and the case isremanded for further proceedings consistent with this opinion."

So, the parents get tuition assistance for sending their children to a private school of their choice, even if the private school is sectarian but accredited.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Sounds like a sound decision to me. You have issues with it?

So, the parents get tuition assistance for sending their children to a private school of their choice, even if the private school is sectarian but accredited.
Hmm, no, screw that, the solution to improving schools is to improve schools, not to take resources away from them.

Also, I pay no mind to these red herrings. The idea is to funnel tax money to Jesus schools.

Any other reason given is a distraction and a lie.

No desire to funnel money to Jesus schools = no political power for this Sham of a movement

The Supreme Court ruled for the 1st Amendment and the bigots on the left try to tell us that religious freedom in Maine only benefits Muslems. Typical left wing B.S.
Nobody said or implied anything like that.

You are one bizarre little person.

To the typical god-hating lefty, the fact you're allowed to attend church is all the freedom of religion there should be....unless you're a Muslim.

"The Supreme Court on Tuesday struck down a Maine education policy that made K-12 schools with religious instruction ineligible for taxpayer-backed tuition aid, continuing the conservative majority court’s general trend of ruling for religious interests.
The 6-3 decision broke along ideological lines, with the court’s six conservatives ruling that the state’s so-called sectarian exclusion violated constitutional religious protections."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My community has an Islamic elementary and middle-school (students go to a public secular high school after middle-school).
The Muslim school is a private school funded by tuitions and donations from the Muslim community.

Now, with this SC ruling that school should be able to access real-estate tax income for their funding.

I called my neighbor (a wonderful man, btw.....good husband, father, community member)....anyway, I called him when the news broke. He was prudent in his enthusiasm but told me any tax subsidization of their school and curriculum would always be welcome.

We also have a fair to middling population of Hindus here. But I'm not sure about their schooling options.
Actually religious discrimination in handing out school voucher money had already been found unconstitutional in Missouri and Montana but the people in Maine had to be reminded of it by the Supreme Court.

All part of the ongoing campaign to funnel tax money to Jesus schools.

Just not allowing government to discriminate between secular and religious private schools if they decide to offer vouchers for educational expenses.

If a State doesn't offer vouchers, no impact will be felt.

Hmm, no, screw that, the solution to improving schools is to improve schools, not to take resources away from them.

Also, I pay no mind to these red herrings. The idea is to funnel tax money to Jesus schools.

Any other reason given is a distraction and a lie.

No desire to funnel money to Jesus schools = no political power for this Sham of a movement

The solution to improving public schools is to make them compete for students, and thus funding.

When you are the only game in town, why do anything but the bare minimum?

The Supreme Court ruled for the 1st Amendment and the bigots on the left try to tell us that religious freedom in Maine only benefits Muslems. Typical left wing B.S.
Lefties love homophobic Muslims for some odd reason.

The Supreme Court said that the only valid discriminator in giving out school voucher money is that the school meets minimal state educational standards.

The fact that the school is run by a religious organization does not meet the threshold for rejection.

Good call!

Isn't it telling that the three yokels that voted against this decision were the three dumbass Libtards that never get anything right?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, shoot! That will disappoint my excellent Muslim neighbor.

So, what you are asserting poster Biff...is that the Jewish elementary school ain't gonna get any tax money?
What about the Falun Gong sect? My property taxes can't fund their instructions to their children either?
Same with the Buddhist?

Man, that's gonna disappoint a lot of people.

ps.....what about our local Mormon population?

No tax money for them either?
Religious freedom is for all religions just not your cult cowboy.

Forum List

Back