Not Sure How I Feel About A Black Actor Playing Queen Ann Boleyn.

Not that I know of. And if they did, it was as slaves, NOT royalty or as a Caesar. But..give it time. Pretty sure a Caesar will be asian or a transgender. Maybe even Ru Paul could play that part.

Your racism drives your ignorance. Please,please just shut up.

On the one hand, I fully support Black, Gay, Trans people (i.e. people who have been traditionally discriminated against in all forms of employment) getting their fair share of acting roles.
On the other hand, I'm a stickler for historical accuracy and if a production is based on true life events it must not deviate in any way. I can only accept artistic licence if something is not known as a means of filling in the gaps.
So with that in mind, I am genuinely perplexed that a drama depicting the life of HenryVIII second wife Queen Ann Boleyn is to be played by Jodie Turner-Smith.

View attachment 492541

While I have little doubt that Jodie is a very capable Actor, one can tell by looking at her that she is of Black African decent, not White Anglo Saxon as was Ann Boleyn. To my mind it will spoil the drama before I've even seen it. No matter how good an actress Jodie is she will need to be incredible for the audience to dispel the fact she is black from our minds and thus could not possibly be Queen Ann Boleyn. It is particularly significant in the case of the Tudors as, like Queen Elizabeth l, they used white powder to lighten their skin. Aristocratic ladies in Tudor times had to look the 'fair maiden' to differentiate themselves from working women who were unable to prevent the sun tanning their skin.
View attachment 492545View attachment 492544 View attachment 492546
Queen Ann Boleyn As usually portraid Queen Elizabeth I. Ann Boleyn's daughter
from a painting................................................................................................From a painting.

View attachment 492547
Jodie Turner-Smith as Queen Ann Boleyn

Maybe I'm just being too set in my ideas and inwilling to change, but I would feel the same way if a White actor was given the role of Rosa Parkes, or Hitler was played by a Black Rastafarian complete with dreadlocks.
Some things just go too far.
The question I keep asking myself is why?

Your first sentence kind of kills any insight or savvy you might have and makes me not want to read more. Anytime someone has to start with (which is all the god damn time) "oh I'm not racist I support blah blah blah" they come off as disingenuous and pandering and kind of thoughtless by parroting the same thing every other non black person says when speaking about blacks.

And I know how I feel about, I feel it's a pandering, woke move made by a company that puts social trends before making a good movie. It also guarantees I won't ever watch it.

Used to it you had Ripley in alien I loved it because it was a good movie, or I loved foxy brown because it was a fun movie. They both had women in them, but that was never the point, the point was they wanted to make a movie and didn't consider the genders.

Now Everytime I see "oh look we cast a black" or "we're going to use trannies and non binaries for more inclusion" or "we have a female lead cast" I have absolutely no interest and I won't support that way of thinking.

Most movies today are made to cash in on social justice trends, woke ethics, and so on. Hardly anyone today says "I want to make a good movie and I don't care if others dont like it".

So fuck forced diversity is basically what I'm saying.

How about, because they don't make that many films about Shaka Zulu to start with. He's not as well known as Anne Boleyn is, a person who literally changed the course of history of the western world.

Now, race swapping a character isn't that big of a deal. For instance, in the original Men In Black comics, Agent Jay was a white guy. But I can't imagine anyone playing him as well as Wil Smith did in the movies.

On the other hand, I thought Smith being cast as James West in the remake of "The Wild Wild West" was just silly. (Smith eventually apologized to Robert Conrad over the whole thing.)
I agree with that.
I don't really care about race swapping in roles, but in a historical piece it is rather silly.

I agree with that.
I don't really care about race swapping in roles, but in a historical piece it is rather silly.

I think you miss my point. Will Smith as Jim West in the Wild Wild West remake wasn't silly because he was black. There were black people in the old west, in fact they were many of the cowboys and settlers that helped tame it.

Smith was badly cast because the script was terrible, it had no respect for the source material, and some of the racist/ableist "jokes" were cringe-worthy. And this is with actors I actually LIKE. I like Will Smith, when he's in a movie with a good script. I like Kevin Cline and Kenneth Branagh.

If a black Anne Bolyn bothers you, you will have seizures over Richard III being a transsexual black woman.

On the one hand, I fully support Black, Gay, Trans people (i.e. people who have been traditionally discriminated against in all forms of employment) getting their fair share of acting roles.
On the other hand, I'm a stickler for historical accuracy and if a production is based on true life events it must not deviate in any way. I can only accept artistic licence if something is not known as a means of filling in the gaps.
So with that in mind, I am genuinely perplexed that a drama depicting the life of HenryVIII second wife Queen Ann Boleyn is to be played by Jodie Turner-Smith.

View attachment 492541

While I have little doubt that Jodie is a very capable Actor, one can tell by looking at her that she is of Black African decent, not White Anglo Saxon as was Ann Boleyn. To my mind it will spoil the drama before I've even seen it. No matter how good an actress Jodie is she will need to be incredible for the audience to dispel the fact she is black from our minds and thus could not possibly be Queen Ann Boleyn. It is particularly significant in the case of the Tudors as, like Queen Elizabeth l, they used white powder to lighten their skin. Aristocratic ladies in Tudor times had to look the 'fair maiden' to differentiate themselves from working women who were unable to prevent the sun tanning their skin.
from a painting................................................................................................From a painting.

View attachment 492547

Maybe I'm just being too set in my ideas and inwilling to change, but I would feel the same way if a White actor was given the role of Rosa Parkes, or Hitler was played by a Black Rastafarian complete with dreadlocks.
I think most modern movies rolling out of Hollywood are actually pretty stupid... The reason you mentioned is only one of them. Yes I tend to agree. Realism in movies today sucks, including overused obvious CGI.

Sometimes it's also hard to believe that many of the movies rolling out today are aimed at adults. I feel virtually insulted by it sometimes.

I would have no problem with the black actress playing a white role; if she were willing to be true to the character, that would mean if she were a black woman playing a White woman, she would have to wear white makeup and look like the woman. Anne Boleyn was Anglo-Saxon and French Norman; in other words, she was white. She should be portrayed as white to do anything else that is lying and promoting ignorance. We already have more than enough ignorance in this world; we don’t need more historical ignorance.

Your racism drives your ignorance. Please,please just shut up.
I'm not sure what you're saying there; if you're saying that Hadrian was black because North Africans were black, you're wrong North African are and, for the most part, Caucasians and always have been.
There was a time when North Africa and Egypt were occupied by black people or brown negroid, but that was before the Sahara dried up and before the arrival of Caucasian tribes from Eurasia.

The Romans did have black slaves, and like their other slaves, I imagine they freed some and married some, but there weren't many. How do I know that? Check out this link below of discovered ancient Roman mosaic and look at the faces; you don't see any negroid faces. That tells me that there were very few blacks living in the ancient Roman Empire.

I have seen some in other collections, but they are very rare, and quite often, the depiction is distorted like a caricature. I doubt there were any black soldiers in the Roman army, let alone a general, and definitely not a Roman emperor.
ancient mosaic ancient roman faces - Search (bing.com)

View attachment 492541

View attachment 492547

Well, since the black actress gets her head cut off in the final Act I'm okay with it. :thup:

View attachment 492541

View attachment 492547

Problem is, most "historical films" are not historical at all. The only difference here is that even really ignorant people can tell she's a different color.
Were it a white jesus, I doubt you'd care.

I'm not sure what you're saying there; if you're saying that Hadrian was black because North Africans were black, you're wrong North African are and, for the most part, Caucasians and always have been.
There was a time when North Africa and Egypt were occupied by black people or brown negroid, but that was before the Sahara dried up and before the arrival of Caucasian tribes from Eurasia.

The Romans did have black slaves, and like their other slaves, I imagine they freed some and married some, but there weren't many. How do I know that? Check out this link below of discovered ancient Roman mosaic and look at the faces; you don't see any negroid faces. That tells me that there were very few blacks living in the ancient Roman Empire.

I have seen some in other collections, but they are very rare, and quite often, the depiction is distorted like a caricature. I doubt there were any black soldiers in the Roman army, let alone a general, and definitely not a Roman emperor.
ancient mosaic ancient roman faces - Search (bing.com)
The article is not about Hadrian. Its about a black emperor.

For centuries, whites played Asian and Black characters on the stage in, for the last century, in films and no one seemed to mind.

Shakespeare's 'Othello, Mozart's Pasha, Charlie Chan... all played by white actors.

It's really not a big deal. Some characters can benefit from being seen in a different perspective.
Juliet was generally played by a young boy, as were all the female roles.

If this is a play, or a televised version of a play, I'm fine with it.

But, when I'm watching a movie or a TV show meant to be realistic, I suspend belief and feel that it is real while I'm watching it. I don't like to be pulled out of it by something out of place, like a truck in the distance during a Roman battle, or a mic shadow. An African-American actress playing a white historical figure would do that.

The funny part is Hollywood can't make up their minds.
Tom Hanks has said several times he regrets playing the role in Philadelphia... because he isn't gay.
Recently elites are upset that James Franco is casted as playing Fidel Castro... because he isn't Cuban.
Yet... a black woman playing Ann Boleyn is A OK.

They are all idiots.

If this is a play, or a televised version of a play, I'm fine with it.

But, when I'm watching a movie or a TV show meant to be realistic, I suspend belief and feel that it is real while I'm watching it. I don't like to be pulled out of it by something out of place, like a truck in the distance during a Roman battle, or a mic shadow. An African-American actress playing a white historical figure would do that.
the usual phrase attributed to drama and the actors thereof is SUSPEND DISBELIEF

Women were not allowed on the stage at that time. Later on tarts were allowed to take paarts but "actress" was a term of abuse in Victorian England.
at what "TIME" An historical on Anne Boleyn is not a Shakesperean play in the Globe theater in Elizabethan
England

Forum List

Back