Not Sure How I Feel About A Black Actor Playing Queen Ann Boleyn.

Oz and the Orchestra

Platinum Member
May 25, 2020
Lake District England

On the one hand, I fully support Black, Gay, Trans people (i.e. people who have been traditionally discriminated against in all forms of employment) getting their fair share of acting roles.
On the other hand, I'm a stickler for historical accuracy and if a production is based on true life events it must not deviate in any way. I can only accept artistic licence if something is not known as a means of filling in the gaps.
So with that in mind, I am genuinely perplexed that a drama depicting the life of HenryVIII second wife Queen Ann Boleyn is to be played by Jodie Turner-Smith.

1621760694064.png

While I have little doubt that Jodie is a very capable Actor, one can tell by looking at her that she is of Black African decent, not White Anglo Saxon as was Ann Boleyn. To my mind it will spoil the drama before I've even seen it. No matter how good an actress Jodie is she will need to be incredible for the audience to dispel the fact she is black from our minds and thus could not possibly be Queen Ann Boleyn. It is particularly significant in the case of the Tudors as, like Queen Elizabeth l, they used white powder to lighten their skin. Aristocratic ladies in Tudor times had to look the 'fair maiden' to differentiate themselves from working women who were unable to prevent the sun tanning their skin.
1621762265135.png
1621762149341.png
1621762361560.png

Queen Ann Boleyn As usually portraid Queen Elizabeth I. Ann Boleyn's daughter
from a painting................................................................................................From a painting.

1621763176672.png

Jodie Turner-Smith as Queen Ann Boleyn

Maybe I'm just being too set in my ideas and inwilling to change, but I would feel the same way if a White actor was given the role of Rosa Parkes, or Hitler was played by a Black Rastafarian complete with dreadlocks.
Some things just go too far.
The question I keep asking myself is why?

Attachments

• 1621762095806.png
    1621762095806.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 42

On the one hand, I fully support Black, Gay, Trans people (i.e. people who have been traditionally discriminated against in all forms of employment) getting their fair share of acting roles.
On the other hand, I'm a stickler for historical accuracy and if a production is based on true life events it must not deviate in any way. I can only accept artistic licence if something is not known as a means of filling in the gaps.
So with that in mind, I am genuinely perplexed that a drama depicting the life of HenryVIII second wife Queen Ann Boleyn is to be played by Jodie Turner-Smith.

View attachment 492541

While I have little doubt that Jodie is a very capable Actor, one can tell by looking at her that she is of Black African decent, not White Anglo Saxon as was Ann Boleyn. To my mind it will spoil the drama before I've even seen it. No matter how good an actress Jodie is she will need to be incredible for the audience to dispel the fact she is black from our minds and thus could not possibly be Queen Ann Boleyn. It is particularly significant in the case of the Tudors as, like Queen Elizabeth l, they used white powder to lighten their skin. Aristocratic ladies in Tudor times had to look the 'fair maiden' to differentiate themselves from working women who were unable to prevent the sun tanning their skin.
View attachment 492545View attachment 492544 View attachment 492546
from a painting................................................................................................From a painting.

View attachment 492547

Maybe I'm just being too set in my ideas and inwilling to change, but I would feel the same way if a White actor was given the role of Rosa Parkes, or Hitler was played by a Black Rastafarian complete with dreadlocks.
It's racist!
The Black gets decapitated. Fair substitution.

Greg

View attachment 492541

View attachment 492547

It's racist!

Greg
Wonder why they didn't get Megan Markle to play the part.

View attachment 492541

View attachment 492547

It's racist!

Greg
Even MM is not that black and maybe passable, but the girl they have chosen, she couldn't get more black - It's like they're taking the p***!

View attachment 492541

View attachment 492547

It's racist!

Greg
Even MM is not that black and maybe passable, but the girl they have chosen, she couldn't get more black - It's like they're taking the p***!
King Henry VIII had her head cut off. not by an english axeman but a french swordmaster. Henry loved Anne.

I think it would depend on the interpretation. Is it being portrayed as a historical documentary, or as a loosely based artistic interpretation.

For instance, they had a movie version of Titus Andronicus where they had cars, radios, etc.

View attachment 492541

View attachment 492547

It's racist!

Greg
King Henry VIII had her head cut off. not by an english axeman but a french swordmaster. Henry loved Anne.
Yes, and she was actually standing when the sword was swung.
All that is now needed is a dwarf to play the swordsman.

I guess virtue signaling is more important than making a good show.

Who says it won't be good?

Frankly, I've seen about a half a dozen interpretations of Ayn Boleyn's story, from The Six Wives of Henry VII to The other Boleyn Girl to Anne of the Thousand days. to The Tudors.

She has been portrayed as everything from conniving manipulator to hapless victim of a sex-driven ogre.

You could find fault with all of them.

Frankly, I've seen about a half a dozen interpretations of Ayn Boleyn's story, from The Six Wives of Henry VII to The other Boleyn Girl to Anne of the Thousand days. to The Tudors.

She has been portrayed as everything from conniving manipulator to hapless victim of a sex-driven ogre.

It's nothing new either...... Morgan Freeman's character in Shawshank was supposed to be a redhaired Irishman.

But it only seems to go one way..... isn't there a white guy who could do a good job in the role of Shaka Zulu?
How come we don't see casting choices like that?

View attachment 492541

View attachment 492547

It's racist!
The Black gets decapitated. Fair substitutandingtion.

Greg
I'm a history buff and didn't know Anne was standing. Did she have royal blood?

It's nothing new either...... Morgan Freeman's character in Shawshank was supposed to be a redhaired Irishman.

But it only seems to go one way..... isn't there a white guy who could do a good job in the role of Shaka Zulu?

William Macy or Bryan Cranston would be great as Shaka Zulu.

Look at who the greatest rapper was, Eminem, a white guy!

How about, because they don't make that many films about Shaka Zulu to start with. He's not as well known as Anne Boleyn is, a person who literally changed the course of history of the western world.

Now, race swapping a character isn't that big of a deal. For instance, in the original Men In Black comics, Agent Jay was a white guy. But I can't imagine anyone playing him as well as Wil Smith did in the movies.

On the other hand, I thought Smith being cast as James West in the remake of "The Wild Wild West" was just silly. (Smith eventually apologized to Robert Conrad over the whole thing.)

How about, because they don't make that many films about Shaka Zulu to start with. He's not as well known as Anne Boleyn is, a person who literally changed the course of history of the western world.

Now, race swapping a character isn't that big of a deal. For instance, in the original Men In Black comics, Agent Jay was a white guy. But I can't imagine anyone playing him as well as Wil Smith did in the movies.

On the other hand, I thought Smith being cast as James West in the remake of "The Wild Wild West" was just silly. (Smith eventually apologized to Robert Conrad over the whole thing.)
Bravo Zulu or BZ, job well done.

Are you saying that Hollywood has always favoured black actors over white ators ?
Really ?

View attachment 492541

View attachment 492547

It's racist!
The Black gets decapitated. Fair substitutandingtion.

Greg
I'm a history buff and didn't know Anne was standing. Did she have royal blood?
Yes, she was standing having just given her last address in which she asked the crowd to pray for Henry who she had called "a most kind and noble prince".
The executioner thought to be Jean Rombaud from Saint Omer had planted a boy in the crowd to move forward towards Ann when she had finished her speech and as he did so Jean called out to him " Boy go and get my sword!" Ann automatically looked down at the boy and as she did so Jean swung his sword (concealed up until then) and took her head off in one clean movement.

Although an aristocrat Ann was a commoner.

Forum List

Back