Not Sure How I Feel About A Black Actor Playing Queen Ann Boleyn.

It's nothing new either...... Morgan Freeman's character in Shawshank was supposed to be a redhaired Irishman.

But it only seems to go one way..... isn't there a white guy who could do a good job in the role of Shaka Zulu?
How come we don't see casting choices like that?

How about, because they don't make that many films about Shaka Zulu to start with. He's not as well known as Anne Boleyn is, a person who literally changed the course of history of the western world.

Now, race swapping a character isn't that big of a deal. For instance, in the original Men In Black comics, Agent Jay was a white guy. But I can't imagine anyone playing him as well as Wil Smith did in the movies.

On the other hand, I thought Smith being cast as James West in the remake of "The Wild Wild West" was just silly. (Smith eventually apologized to Robert Conrad over the whole thing.)
As you say Ann was an important historical figure and if they want to mess with historical accuracy for as you previously said to make a loosely based Artistic Interpretation then they should change her name to maybe Sam Boleyn & King Horny,
so we know who it is based on but with the emphasis clearly on fiction.

The number of so-called 'based on' films etc that have been totally ruined by one or two glaring major inaccuracies...Schindlers List best portrayed the depths of Nazi behaviour but was ruined by the fact that commandant Amon Goeth was portrayed as having a sexual interest in one of his Jewish slave maids. It is true that Goeth picked out two maids at the opening of the camp but there is no evidence that he had any interest in either. The other maid was never mentioned but too much of the story is devoted to this fictional sexual relationship with Helen.
Neither was Goeth hung by way of a stool being kicked from under him - portrayed as more of a crude lynching. In fact, he was given a Military execution by the Polish Army, the real incident was far more interesting than the fiction, in that it took three attempts to dispatch him.
Another 'hate' of mine is fictional stories set during real historical events.
I can accept the ones that could and even might have happened. The ones I really object to are 'The Boy In The Striped Pajamas' type.
There was absolutely no way an 8-year-old Commandant's son could have slipped under the wire - the outer perimeter of a Death Camp. Helped by a similarly aged Jewish inmate and both ended up dead in the gas chambers. What annoyed me, even more, was my sister asking "...did that really happen?"
Films etc like that just give fuel to the deniers.

I guess virtue signaling is more important than making a good show.

Who says it won't be good?

Frankly, I've seen about a half a dozen interpretations of Ayn Boleyn's story, from The Six Wives of Henry VII to The other Boleyn Girl to Anne of the Thousand days. to The Tudors.

She has been portrayed as everything from conniving manipulator to hapless victim of a sex-driven ogre.

You could find fault with all of them.
It's nothing new either...... Morgan Freeman's character in Shawshank was supposed to be a redhaired Irishman.

But it only seems to go one way..... isn't there a white guy who could do a good job in the role of Shaka Zulu?
Are you saying that Hollywood has always favoured black actors over white ators ?
Really ?
Not always, no.
But if you want people to go see the movies you're making, it helps if they can identify with the characters, and that isn't happening lately for straight white people who don't swirl.
So they're not buying movie tickets.

Frankly, I've seen about a half a dozen interpretations of Ayn Boleyn's story, from The Six Wives of Henry VII to The other Boleyn Girl to Anne of the Thousand days. to The Tudors.

She has been portrayed as everything from conniving manipulator to hapless victim of a sex-driven ogre.

Are you saying that Hollywood has always favoured black actors over white ators ?
Really ?
Not always, no.
But if you want people to go see the movies you're making, it helps if they can identify with the characters, and that isn't happening lately for straight white people who don't swirl.
I remember Jeff Chandler playing Cochise. Pretty much every native american character was played by a white actor. Donna Reed represented pretty much every tribe in her career,
Ava Gardner played a black woman in Showboat. It didnt stop people enjoying those films but it did deny work for actors who were native american or black.

Watch the film and see what you think. It might be good or it might be rubbish.

Really ?
Not always, no.
I remember Jeff Chandler playing Cochise. Pretty much every native american character was played by a white actor. Donna Reed represented pretty much every tribe in her career,
Ava Gardner played a black woman in Showboat. It didnt stop people enjoying those films but it did deny work for actors who were native american or black.

Watch the film and see what you think. It might be good or it might be rubbish.
Nah, not interested.

In American cinematic history whites have played native American, Asian and even black characters and literally every other ethnicity you can think of.

No one threw a hissy fit about it. Certainly no one white.

There's zero problem with what's going on here.

In American cinematic history whites have played native American, Asian and even black characters.

No one threw a hissy fit. Certainly no one white.

I don't really care myself, but people aren't watching a lot of these movies.

I'm pretty sure that's a problem for the movie business.

In American cinematic history whites have played native American, Asian and even black characters and literally every other ethnicity you can think of.

So black-face is OK? Good to know.

On the one hand, I fully support Black, Gay, Trans people (i.e. people who have been traditionally discriminated against in all forms of employment) getting their fair share of acting roles.
On the other hand, I'm a stickler for historical accuracy and if a production is based on true life events it must not deviate in any way. I can only accept artistic licence if something is not known as a means of filling in the gaps.
So with that in mind, I am genuinely perplexed that a drama depicting the life of HenryVIII second wife Queen Ann Boleyn is to be played by Jodie Turner-Smith.

View attachment 492541

While I have little doubt that Jodie is a very capable Actor, one can tell by looking at her that she is of Black African decent, not White Anglo Saxon as was Ann Boleyn. To my mind it will spoil the drama before I've even seen it. No matter how good an actress Jodie is she will need to be incredible for the audience to dispel the fact she is black from our minds and thus could not possibly be Queen Ann Boleyn. It is particularly significant in the case of the Tudors as, like Queen Elizabeth l, they used white powder to lighten their skin. Aristocratic ladies in Tudor times had to look the 'fair maiden' to differentiate themselves from working women who were unable to prevent the sun tanning their skin.
View attachment 492545View attachment 492544 View attachment 492546
Queen Ann Boleyn As usually portraid Queen Elizabeth I. Ann Boleyn's daughter
from a painting................................................................................................From a painting.

View attachment 492547
Jodie Turner-Smith as Queen Ann Boleyn

Maybe I'm just being too set in my ideas and inwilling to change, but I would feel the same way if a White actor was given the role of Rosa Parkes, or Hitler was played by a Black Rastafarian complete with dreadlocks.
Some things just go too far.
The question I keep asking myself is why?

open your mind-----in DRAMA and LITERATURE-----if you cannot SUSPEND DISBELIEF----
you lost out completely. A black Anne changes nothing for me------HOWEVER that bitch
and her sister were such SLUTS-----that it is a little insulting

Oh, for goodness' sake!

She was English.

A long time ago.

So she was Caucasian.

To cast a non-Caucasian would be ridiculous.

No one would attend the movie.

And the few who did would laugh when she appeared on the screen.

These woke activists are not at fault.

The ones at fault are those movie executives who take them seriously, instead of telling them to go to blank!

So, since whites did it in the 40s, it is by definition ok.

GOT IT. I will be applying that to all questions from now on.

As you say Ann was an important historical figure and if they want to mess with historical accuracy for as you previously said to make a loosely based Artistic Interpretation then they should change her name to maybe Sam Boleyn & King Horny,
so we know who it is based on but with the emphasis clearly on fiction.

Again, since I don't know all the details, of what they are going for, I'm going to try to keep an open mind before I see it. If they are going for a stylistic interpretation, I'm fine with it. If they are going for a historical costume drama, yeah, that's going to kind of stick out.

The number of so-called 'based on' films etc that have been totally ruined by one or two glaring major inaccuracies...Schindlers List best portrayed the depths of Nazi behaviour but was ruined by the fact that commandant Amon Goeth was portrayed as having a sexual interest in one of his Jewish slave maids. It is true that Goeth picked out two maids at the opening of the camp but there is no evidence that he had any interest in either. The other maid was never mentioned but too much of the story is devoted to this fictional sexual relationship with Helen.
Since the Helen character was fictional, I don't have a problem with this. She was meant to be emblematic of the thousands of women who were sexually abused during the Holocaust, which was a real thing that happened.

Neither was Goeth hung by way of a stool being kicked from under him - portrayed as more of a crude lynching. In fact, he was given a Military execution by the Polish Army, the real incident was far more interesting than the fiction, in that it took three attempts to dispatch him.

He was also relieved of his command by the Nazis themselves for theft of Jewish property and not providing adequate food for his workers. (Imagine being such a cruel asshole that even other Nazis say, "Damn!" )

Another 'hate' of mine is fictional stories set during real historical events.
I can accept the ones that could and even might have happened. The ones I really object to are 'The Boy In The Striped Pajamas' type.
There was absolutely no way an 8-year-old Commandant's son could have slipped under the wire - the outer perimeter of a Death Camp. Helped by a similarly aged Jewish inmate and both ended up dead in the gas chambers. What annoyed me, even more, was my sister asking "...did that really happen?"
Films etc like that just give fuel to the deniers.

Glad I didn't watch that movie, it would have sounded depressing. But that was purely a work of fiction, so outside the scope of this discussion.

The problem with any historical film is that it often has to convey years of events in a few hours. So instead of having a complete retelling of events, some events need to be dramatized.

I have a huge problem watching most historical films because of the things they get wrong. I have a paticular dislike for Gladiator, where they had the happy ending of restoring the Republic after Commodus died. In fact, the Empire continued and when the short civil war was over, Commodus was declared a God by Septimius Severus.

On the other hand, I loved Amadeus, which repeats falsehoods about Mozart and outright slanders Salieri.

Forum List

Back