my personal observations for $15 an hour minimum

..well, for a long time, many times when I go to the fast food place, they get a SIMPLE order wrong!!!!!
..I just went today and the clerk was an IDIOT!!!
--I waited a long time before they responded to me--and there were no other customers
--I said I wanted 2 burgers.....and then no answer...then he asked if I wanted something else-so I told him fries and a shake
--THEN he said ''just a minute'''
THEN he asked for the coupon code--and
--THEN he asked AGAIN what were extras I ordered
etc
--a complete IDIOT ..and they want the employers to be forced to pay more to IDIOTS????!!!! to do a SHITTY job!!!????

This is not an act of kindness. You know better.

This is making sure that this group of people makes at least one dollar over to receive state aid.

And that's it.

The name of the game is for employers to pay their people enough so that the rest of society doesn't have to pick up the tab.
so pay idiots for doing a crap job??????!!!!!!!!
STUPID and economically destructive

First of all, most would agree the federal minimum wage needs to be more than $7.25 an hour. I don't care if you live in Santa Barbara, Boise or Pittsburgh. Now, generally speaking, $15 an hour is probably too much for entry-level kids counting chicken tenders at Wendy's or mowing lawns at the Holiday Inn.

So there has to be some middle-ground to go from -- something like $10 an hour for single under 30. For married with children over 30 maybe it should be $15, but there needs to be something better.
Why does the federal MW have to be higher when cities and states can set their own as high as they want?

I can see an argument against $15/hr minimum wage as someone may say "That's too much for a 16 year old to make right off the bat"...I mean I guess I can buy that one argument.

HOWEVER...the current $7.25 is slave wages and we all know it. It needs to go up to $12/hr.
Why aren't more cities and states setting their MW at $12/hr? There's nothing stopping them from doing it.

AND-AND WE--WE will be paying her $600 a month for having kids!! AND she has a job!!!!!!
All the more reason to pay her $15 an hour so you don’t have to pay her that $600 a month.
Depends on where she lives. If $15/hour is substantially higher than what the local market supports in terms of cost of living, "she" might be replaced by a robot or an illegal.
Which is why the federal MW doesn't have to be raised very high. Cities and States with high costs of living can set their MW wherever they want to.

AND-AND WE--WE will be paying her $600 a month for having kids!! AND she has a job!!!!!!
All the more reason to pay her $15 an hour so you don’t have to pay her that $600 a month.
Depends on where she lives. If $15/hour is substantially higher than what the local market supports in terms of cost of living, "she" might be replaced by a robot or an illegal.
Which is why the federal MW doesn't have to be raised very high. Cities and States with high costs of living can set their MW wherever they want to.
yes..that's common sense .....which the Dems do not have

I can see an argument against $15/hr minimum wage as someone may say "That's too much for a 16 year old to make right off the bat"...I mean I guess I can buy that one argument.

HOWEVER...the current $7.25 is slave wages and we all know it. It needs to go up to $12/hr.
Where are these $7.25 an hour jobs not counting waitresses who receive tips?
There surely aren’t any $7.25 jobs around my area, and I don’t live in a high cost of living type of state or city. Many businesses now post their hiring wages on their billboards, and I have not seen one under $12 an hour and that was at a McDonald’s type drive-through. There are probably small companies paying less than that but these fast food places are in high competition. One of the main roads is actually known in some circles as “fast food city drive” because it’s so ridiculous how many there are back to back . No restaurant is paying under $12 an hour in these places, it’s unbelievable really for starting pay compared to only 5-7 years back.
Perfect example of the market driving wages higher than the MW. It really seems like those who obsess over the federal MW are more worried about the federal government's role in setting wages being rendered moot than anything else.

..well, for a long time, many times when I go to the fast food place, they get a SIMPLE order wrong!!!!!
--I waited a long time before they responded to me--and there were no other customers
--I said I wanted 2 burgers.....and then no answer...then he asked if I wanted something else-so I told him fries and a shake
etc
--a complete IDIOT ..and they want the employers to be forced to pay more to IDIOTS????!!!! to do a SHITTY job!!!????
The solution is unions.
Unions can ensure workers meet minimum training requirements as a condition of joining.
Federal support for unions will ease the minimum wage issue at about $9.50
Unions suck. When i got back from Saud Arabia, i was "FORCED" to join a union to work at the FDA building in Maryland. My starting pay was $34 an hour, because the union of steam fitters, had no clue what the wages should be for a Pneumatic/Electronic Technician. My wages i demanded was 4 dollars higher than HVAC mechs who had been working there for 20 years....They were quite upset. Fuck em..

Because they know if they do set it higher than some other state, a mass migration of business goes to the state with lower minimums. That is why the Federal Government MUST FORCE, everyone to do the governments bidding...Fascist mother fuckers.

etc
The solution is unions.
Unions can ensure workers meet minimum training requirements as a condition of joining.
If you don't mind paying a lot more for everything, sure, unions could work.
Everything?
So you'd rather $15 and growing for everyone as opposed to unionizing skilled workers and paying them wages according to their skills?

Seems the anti-union people are confused about why they hate unions and why they oppose the minimum wage.

Go think about it and get back.

etc
The solution is unions.
..my old company had a union....then they just moved the manufacturing to a Right to Work state.....so = goodbye jobs for those union workers
...I thought McDonnell Douglas sold the company after a big union strike ....I can see the good and bad of unions
Do not ever blame the unions for management decisions.
The union cannot force management to sign a contract.
BUT
Unions do need to understand that the union (the workers) and management should be partners in the organization's success. the relationship must be balanced because if the power leans too far in either direction the entity that suffers will be the company.
Wages too low = Lost workers and low productivity
Wages too high = Company losses
Working conditions bad = lost workers and low productivity
Taking condition claims beyond the actual work = Company losses

You can refer to the US Auto Industry across the 70s-80s.
The imbalance became so severe it threatened to destroy the industry.

But
From the 30s to the 70s unions were responsible for the presence of the largest and most secure middle class in the world.

So, it comes down to $15 for a high-school kid with no training or experience or unions to negotiate for better wages for skilled workers while the minimum wage serves the unskilled workers.

etc
The solution is unions.
Unions suck. When i got back from Saud Arabia, i was "FORCED" to join a union to work at the FDA building in Maryland. My starting pay was $34 an hour, because the union of steam fitters, had no clue what the wages should be for a Pneumatic/Electronic Technician. My wages i demanded was 4 dollars higher than HVAC mechs who had been working there for 20 years....They were quite upset. Fuck em..
Your single anecdote of why "unions suck" is nothing about unions and most probably a lie.
In a union shop, as you're claiming this was, and as a union member, you get paid union wages.
Management doesn't have the choice to pay a union member more for a defined role that what is defined in the contract.
So, there you go.

etc
Happens sometimes. NEVER NEVER NEVER piss anyone off dealing with your food when you can't see them.

Waitress...cook....burger flipper.....nobody.

I remember recently being real nice for a somewhat disastrous experience in the drive thru. I got like 4 large orders of fries with no one behind me. Not being an ass hole yields such high dividends than being the dick wad...lolol
I didn't piss anyone off
I understand. Lol................Just a general rule I always say. Let's face it, you are at their mercy for everything going down your throat......lol.Why would you insult someone that hates their fucking job so bad...lol
Your post the way you worded it reminded me of an experience I had a few years back. A most salty looking young female, I’d say maybe 17, was at a drive through window. Her attitude and the look on her face spoke volumes. As she was taking my money I asked her point blank “Do you like your job?” I did my best to keep my tone from sounding smirky, but only wanting to know the answer. I repeated the question because she didn’t hear me the first time around, and the instant she understood what I was asking her sour face turned into a halfway smile! She said, “Oh yeah, I love my job”. Wth! Okay, so I told her that was great and asked her how long she’s been there and then she became like like my best friend. It was a really strange experience but eye-opening. Most teenagers don’t have a clue about what appearance they might be giving at any second, since they’re only concerned about the appearances of others and who looks good, who is looking at them a little too long, or in the wrong way, etc. This was a good example about not always knowing what’s going on in the inside just by judging the outside . That young employee could’ve had some recent tragedy the way she was acting. Because most of these fast food workers are teenagers I tend to blame their managers and trainers who could hold positive relations with customers type of meetings with their employees. I guess the upper tier of ownership could also share some of the blame if they aren’t hiring good managers. edit- even teenagers however are responsible for choosing to have a sour expression or a normal expression. Happy faces are a bonus with a lot of teens! Lol there are of course many good teenagers who don’t do that pity party in public kind of stuff but it seems to me that most of them who do hold the pity parties they’re all at the drive-through’s- what’s up with that? Lol
That was so kool of a story.

I have always found that in dealing with the public, if you act like a proper lady or gentleman and show class, people will do reverse triple back flips for you. People aren't used to class and dignity and it knocks them in their teeth...lol Especially when dealing with people over the phone. Being nice and appreciating puts you first in their order in life. So little pays so so much.
[/QUOTE- I once heard a wise man say that it costs nothing to be kind, unless you’re dealing with a swindler perhaps;P

All jokes aside, showing respect to other people should be a lot easier than what a lot of people make it look like in today’s world...like it’s too much effort to act like a decent person. Even when a person knows they are a real piece of work and proud of their posturing in public, you’d think there would come a time when it would suddenly dawn on them that they are basically producing their own misery. I guess when a person doesn’t practice even a very small and easy social behavior they never really develop it... so there’s that.

A national $15 minimum wage is a really bad idea.

It might work in high cost places like Seattle, New York and San Francisco.

But it's a really bad idea in low cost places like Mississippi and West Virginia. It'll just cause more unemployment in these states.

But Democrats don't win in low cost states, so they wouldn't know.

Where are these $7.25 an hour jobs not counting waitresses who receive tips?
There surely aren’t any $7.25 jobs around my area, and I don’t live in a high cost of living type of state or city. Many businesses now post their hiring wages on their billboards, and I have not seen one under $12 an hour and that was at a McDonald’s type drive-through. There are probably small companies paying less than that but these fast food places are in high competition. One of the main roads is actually known in some circles as “fast food city drive” because it’s so ridiculous how many there are back to back . No restaurant is paying under $12 an hour in these places, it’s unbelievable really for starting pay compared to only 5-7 years back.
Perfect example of the market driving wages higher than the MW. It really seems like those who obsess over the federal MW are more worried about the federal government's role in setting wages being rendered moot than anything else.
You’ve hit upon a correlation between two things I’ve never fully considered- that the minimum wage increase to $15.00 push is, in fact, backed by those who favor big government. How did I miss this? Here I was thinking that people were primarily considering their own position, either as a minimum wage worker or an employer. This is a whole additional layer and fuels me to oppose it even more! Lol

I support smaller government, the END of pork bills and bills over 30 pages being ripped to shreds if presented on the floor, and cutting federal government spending to pay off our various debts. That last one a definite pipe dream, but I will continue to hope.

But it's a really bad idea in low cost places like Mississippi and West Virginia. It'll just cause more unemployment in these states.

Have you been to San Francisco lately? I haven’t, but that’s why I’m asking. I just watched a video another poster has another thread about the continued growing homeless population and increased tents in front of residential homes. Stepping on broken glass, getting robbed and/or assaulted, being confronted by someone with a psychotic condition....are a few things people are concerned about when they are out walking . I knew things were bad there but as they say, a picture paints 1000 words and I’d say a video about 1 million...

???? Mr Clean
Who says those are the only two choices? Depend on govt or depend on govt. What???

Worker owned cooperatives would end this whole catch 22, especially when applies to health care. Instead of workers relying on govt, we can own and manage our own business, schools, health care and even local districts run as campus towns.

Why pay all your taxes to govt and then complain you don't make enough to pay for living and health care costs?

Why not give tax breaks for investing resources into managing sustainable cooperative districts and economies without bogging down govt with costly politics, waste and abuse?

I hoped you might lean more independent than lean toward govt regulating the process of deregulation.

Whichever way you favor, investing in cooperative self govt and deducting that from taxes puts people back in charge of choosing what policies to fund and follow.

Www.medcoops.info
Www.ppcwebsite.org
www.campusplan.org
Www.earnedamnesty.org

Only in the short run. In the long run, higher paid labor creates more in demand and generates more in tax revenue. Only right wingers appeal to ignorance of economics and the law, but still want to be taken as seriously as the "gospel Truth".

If you don't mind paying a lot more for everything, sure, unions could work.
Everything?
So you'd rather $15 and growing for everyone as opposed to unionizing skilled workers and paying them wages according to their skills?

Seems the anti-union people are confused about why they hate unions and why they oppose the minimum wage.

Go think about it and get back.
Unionization often just creates corruption. This is shown by things like the Post Office and the auto industry. Pushing the minimum wage higher is easy enough to sidestep through automation and hiring illegals.

Forum List

Back