Qualified immunity ends in NY.

Oh yeah...way to go NEW YORK---------watch your city's crime rate soar------------------never mind all of you and your families becoming victims of criminals.

No wonder all the new yorkers are moving to florida.

Stop this stupid chit-------------govern with some common sense---We in florida don't want any more new yorkers.

Last edited:
Just the beginning of actual police reform. At some point the Supreme Court should be ruling the same. Then we are a step closer to the police no longer being above the law.

The protests have made a difference.

New York Becomes First State to End Lawsuit Protections for Police Officers
NY will probably need to restructure how police are paid now. Like a lot of public jobs, the main perk is the pension, but even that won't be particularly attractive when you're charged with enforcing the law but face more lawsuits than the average citizen. They'll need to make being a cop more about upfront pay (while probably reducing pensions).

Otherwise, who would want to be a cop?

Don't get me wrong. I realize that qualified immunity has been a problem in many ways, but it's also a result of how the job ensures a large amount of confrontations with the public.

Just the beginning of actual police reform. At some point the Supreme Court should be ruling the same. Then we are a step closer to the police no longer being above the law.

hahahhahahHHAHAHAHAHAH
1. that's what you said after M.Brown..THEN after E.Garner...THEN after FLoyd..etc etc
2. it doesn't mean much, because most of the time the police do nothing wrong....I've got a thread on it

Certainly tremendous news for the Thug population. They no longer need to worry nearly as much about getting shot by a cop. The police can't risk shooting at anyone, even if they are shooting up a subway car or a school. If they hit anyone, their ass is grass. Even if they prevail in a lawsuit, defending such legal actions is a punishment in its self.

AND--this is fking over the black community more than anyone else!!!hahahhahahah...cops will NATURALLY/understandably not be able to do their job because of it
Crime will skyrocket in NYC...as if it hasn't already over the past few years....

Lawsuits will be off the chain....nobody I mean nobody will want to be a cop....

and if this isn't the kicker...the Dems took away the protection from law enforcement...but obviously keep it for themselves..

I understand the reasoning and concept behind this, but it will make it that much harder to draw people to want a career in LE.

JMO

I understand the reasoning and concept behind this, but it will make it that much harder to draw people to want a career in LE.

JMO

Your argument is that we can't have police unless we are willing to allow them to violate people's civil rights. I completely disagree.
How is that? Police can be prosecuted for violating the law, and if someone's rights are violated they can sue....at the very least if they violate someone's rights, such as an illegal search, the evidence is excluded from any prosecution of them.

So, not sure how you get to this conclusion

The government is getting rid of our protection. They have protection, guns and police. We are a herd that needs to be contained. Take our guns, and police away and we are at the mercy of every criminal they invite in. It won't be long before we will be begging the UN to make us safe again. Just like Bush said...

JMO

Your argument is that we can't have police unless we are willing to allow them to violate people's civil rights. I completely disagree.

Never said we cannot have police.

I’m just pointing out the potential cause and effect of such a policy.

JMO
Can you explain to me the reasoning and concept behind this?

This article provides a decent explanation:

Accountability is an absolute necessity for meaningful criminal justice reform, and any attempt to provide greater accountability must confront the doctrine of qualified immunity. This judicial doctrine, invented by the Supreme Court in the 1960s, protects state and local officials from liability, even when they act unlawfully, so long as their actions do not violate “clearly established law.” In practice, this legal standard is a huge hurdle for civil rights plaintiffs because it generally requires them to identify not just a clear legal rule but a prior case with functionally identical facts.

Qualified immunity is one of the most obviously unjustified legal doctrines in our nation’s history. Although it is nominally an interpretation of our primary federal civil rights statute, that statute says nothing about any immunities, qualified or otherwise. And the common‐law background against which it was passed also contained nothing like the across‐the‐board immunity for public officials that characterizes the doctrine today. Qualified immunity has also been disastrous as a matter of policy. Victims of egregious misconduct are often left without any legal remedy simply because there does not happen to be a prior case on the books involving the exact same sort of misconduct. By undermining public accountability at a structural level, the doctrine also hurts the law enforcement community by denying police the degree of public trust and confidence they need to do their jobs safely and effectively.

1616878163426.png

I certainly hope that denial of qualified immunity also extends to Cuomo and DeBlasio.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Forum List

Back