My Catholic faith has become a liability -- where do I dump it?

I can't believe people are swallowing his trolling.

I can't beleive Catholics think their denomination is 2,000 years old, but many of them do. They have produced many excellent theologians over the centuries, though, despite their foibles.
I think it depends on if you believe the Church extends back to St. Peter or not, right?

That may be, but we know that Peter never went to Rome in real life, and Catholicism evolved over some 800 years at the earliest to become 'The Church', when its wealth started to become a significant political base. Even then it was never the all powerful force in Europe the Protestant mythology of the the 16th Century invented for it. Feudal princes pretty much decided what was 'legitimate religion' in their own domains right up to the 19th century, with assorted German states still deciding such things even after Bismarck's and Wilhelm I's Federation was formed. It was never remotely successful at stamping out paganism in northern Europe, especially among the peasants.

But, it was far better than the alternatives nonetheless, and gets an undeserved bad rap. I doubt the Greek Orthodox would have done nearly as well, considering the evidence of eastern Europe and Russia over 2,000 years, and of course much of the 'Reformation' Protestantism was in part a neo-pagan revivalism, with a lot of peasant superstition finding full expression in with burnings and other hysterias even in France. The 12th century Church intellectuals rejected the existence of 'witchcraft' and 'magic' as just pagan superstitions, even as Feudal rulers still believed in the nonsense even after allegedly becoming 'Christian'. Clearly they weren't 100% 'converted'.

Last edited:
I can't believe people are swallowing his trolling.

I can't beleive Catholics think their denomination is 2,000 years old, but many of them do. They have produced many excellent theologians over the centuries, though, despite their foibles.
I think it depends on if you believe the Church extends back to St. Peter or not, right?

That may be, but we know that Peter never went to Rome in real life, and Catholicism evolved over some 800 years at the earliest to become 'The Church', when its wealth started to become a significant political base. Even then it was never the all powerful force in Europe the Protestant mythology of the the 16th Century invented for it.
Sure, but they trace the roots back to the time of Christ. That's where I believe the claim comes from.

Yep, we get a bad rap, that's for sure.

Sure, but they trace the roots back to the time of Christ. That's where I believe the claim comes from. [/quote]

Yes, I'm aware of the 'founding' story. there is no definite 'starting point', but I usually pick Jerome and Augustine for convenience, for their influence on later doctrines.

Yep, we get a bad rap, that's for sure.

True, and it's largely undeserved, and based on Protestant propaganda and Enlightenment hogwash.

How can I make myself STOP being a Catholic?

I am divorced.

That means if I ever have a girlfriend I am committing adultery.

If I get married I am denied the Eucharist, and then I go to hell.

I could get an annulment, but then I have to trash talk my ex-wife and then say we never really got married which I am unwilling to do.
Pray on it and ask for a sign to help you with the crisis you are facing. You sound like a very intelligent person who does not want ill will in the family. Ask God for help. He will not let you down.
RUN! From the $1.2T bilk.

Become an Episcopalian.

Catholic Lite®....All the fun, half the guilt.

BTW, I'm not joking.

On the plus side, the ritual and the beliefs are very close to those of The Papist Church of Rome when it was still a religion rather than an industry. Episcopalians have never lost the ability to tell apart the tastes of wine and human blood. Their senses are still allowed to differentiate between the flavour and texture of flesh (meat) and bread. They matured and understand symbolism and respect it.

On the negative side, a large percentage of American Episcopalians have defected to the religion of Liberalism. Check out several Episcopalian parishes near you; many have light social functions immediately following their services. Go to them and pay as much attention to the conversations as you paid to the ritual. In too many cases you'll be disappointed but persist. There are still a good many honest Episcopalian parishes. I have found the British Anglicans to be generally more well grounded but there are many even there with deep Marxist leanings.

The parish I attended in my youth is an oddity. In that city there were once nearly a dozen Episcopal Churches. Now there are two. Most died out because their membership died off and they made no effort to welcome immigrants, particularly from the Pacific region. The one little church survived and thrived. It grew because it welcomed newcomers and sincerely presented them with a new religious home. The last of the old guard is still there but the new membership has grown into the role and it's still growing. That old guard is going gracefully and the citizenship of the newcomers is a joy to watch.

This in a city where each week Roman Catholics are told by their "betters" of the closing of yet another parish.

You're leaving a sinking ship but be sure you choose a lifeboat that actually floats.

That may be, but we know that Peter never went to Rome in real life, and Catholicism evolved over some 800 years at the earliest to become 'The Church', when its wealth started to become a significant political base. Even then it was never the all powerful force in Europe the Protestant mythology of the the 16th Century invented for it. Feudal princes pretty much decided what was 'legitimate religion' in their own domains right up to the 19th century, with assorted German states still deciding such things even after Bismarck's and Wilhelm I's Federation was formed. It was never remotely successful at stamping out paganism in northern Europe, especially among the peasants.

I'm kind of curious how you can be sure that Peter never went to Rome in "real Life", but you think that stories about Jesus walking on water and rising from the dead are TOTALLY TRUE.

But, it was far better than the alternatives nonetheless, and gets an undeserved bad rap. I doubt the Greek Orthodox would have done nearly as well, considering the evidence of eastern Europe and Russia over 2,000 years, and of course much of the 'Reformation' Protestantism was in part a neo-pagan revivalism, with a lot of peasant superstition finding full expression in with burnings and other hysterias even in France. The 12th century Church intellectuals rejected the existence of 'witchcraft' and 'magic' as just pagan superstitions, even as Feudal rulers still believed in the nonsense even after allegedly becoming 'Christian'. Clearly they weren't 100% 'converted'.

Oh, please. Protestantism happened because the Church was openly corrupt, selling indulgences and so on. People in the North just got fed up with them.

The sooner we are rid of all these backwards superstitions, the better.

Of course the founding fathers of freedom and liberty believed that religion and morality are needed for liberty and freedom to exist.

Homosexuals are not going to hell because of the sin. Homosexuals, like heterosexuals all go to hell when they fail to accept Jesus as their personal Savior
Theres more to it than that. If you fail to renounce sin (homosexuality is a terrible sin), you are not a follower of Christ.
What do you think REPENT means? Adultery is a terrible sin. Fornication is a terrible sin. Abortion is a terrible sin. Murder is a terrible sin. Lying, cheating and stealing are ALL terrible sins. Are you in fact a follower of Christ seeking to be forgiven of your terrible sins or are you trying your best to be sinless? No one except GOD is perfect. Jesus was/is perfect. And while I do wish to please GOD, I also realize that I will never be good enough. ONE needs the SAVIOR.

Homosexuals are not going to hell because of the sin. Homosexuals, like heterosexuals all go to hell when they fail to accept Jesus as their personal Savior
Theres more to it than that. If you fail to renounce sin (homosexuality is a terrible sin), you are not a follower of Christ.
What do you think REPENT means? Adultery is a terrible sin. Fornication is a terrible sin. Abortion is a terrible sin. Murder is a terrible sin. Lying, cheating and stealing are ALL terrible sins. Are you in fact a follower of Christ seeking to be forgiven of your terrible sins or are you trying your best to be sinless? No one except GOD is perfect. Jesus was/is perfect. And while I do wish to please GOD, I also realize that I will never be good enough. ONE needs the SAVIOR.
Fornication is a terrible sin.

is that from the religious itinerant, the events of the 1st century ... not sure you would even fit in the 4th, nipper.

ONE needs the SAVIOR.

no need for a savior for the sinless.

is that from the religious itinerant, the events of the 1st century ... not sure you would even fit in the 4th, nipper.

ONE needs the SAVIOR.

Who among you is without sin may cast the first stone....

ONE needs the SAVIOR.

seriously nipper would someone without sin be casting stones that is a way for the low lifes to think about what they are doing - as being a bad idea to begin with.

the 1st century was about the triumph over sin for admission to the Everlasting as more than a good idea - as a requirement.

it is the 4th century telling you to live sinful lives is ok - your problem is there messiah never existed.

I am divorced.

I could get an annulment, but then I have to trash talk my ex-wife and then say we never really got married which I am unwilling to do.

you could just stop believing in all of that fairy tale nonsense and grow up.....

you could just stop believing in all of that fairy tale nonsense and grow up.....
He is not speaking about fairy tales. He is speaking of a philosophy and a way of life. Remember how one political party was telling people who had been coal miners for twenty years could simply become computer programmers? Is that as easy as some will have it sound?

Blackrook was living by a philosophy that when he vowed to love, cherish, and care for one woman above all other women until death, he meant it. This fell apart, and the repercussions shook the foundation of who he is and a relationship he has with God. Does God really want him to live the rest of his life not only alone, but lonely? Or, was Blackrook made to love and to be loved, and can another love put him back on track? If so, he is going to have to make some sacrifices. Yes, he can still go to church, he can still worship. But there is one sacrament from which the Church will ask him to abstain.

Back in Deuteronomy Moses was addressing the question of why is life so hard. How else will we, God--or anyone--know whether it is our intent to keep the Commandments. We are called to love. We are called to keep the Commandments. While no one but Blackrook can answer the question of what God is calling him to do during the next stage of his life, the very least we can do is show a little compassion. Either choice he makes involves sacrifice.

Matthew 19:3-9
... I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except on the grounds of sexual immorality, and marries another commits adultery”...

Have you considered pleading with your wife to be reconciled?

I could, but I seriously doubt it would do any good. I'm bipolar, and so I had a lot or problems and she put up with it for a long time but finally lost patience with me. I really don't blame her for what happened.
So, do you really want to make another woman crazy like you did with your first wife?

I am divorced.

Leave it in the past, Satan Peter behind you. You can find solace with a Protestant church and explore global scriptures and poetry music to find God is Love, and Taoism is the path to the Gates of Heaven on Earth, and if Peter is Satan, then St. Peter is the one at the Gates of hell. It's easy to be not Roman catholic, all you have to do is stay away from that church; and donate not to Roman catholic baskets or charities. There are better organizations to be charitable towards.

I am divorced.

God doesn't care about religion

I am divorced.

Leave it in the past, Satan Peter behind you. You can find solace with a Protestant church and explore global scriptures and poetry music to find God is Love, and Taoism is the path to the Gates of Heaven on Earth, and if Peter is Satan, then St. Peter is the one at the Gates of hell. It's easy to be not Roman catholic, all you have to do is stay away from that church; and donate not to Roman catholic baskets or charities. There are better organizations to be charitable towards.
Become a Marxist!
If God doesn't exist then it don't matter and if hell doesn't exist you can't go there.
You can always get a priest to give you the last rites and repent, on your death bed as a sort of insurance policy!

I am divorced.

Become a Marxist!
If God doesn't exist then it don't matter and if hell doesn't exist you can't go there.
You can always get a priest to give you the last rites and repent, on your death bed as a sort of insurance policy!
Nah. I'm against Communism; as you can see the difference between say Baroque architecture and music compared to Soviet architecture and music; you can totally see what is more inspiring.

I am divorced.

Become a Marxist!
Nah. I'm against Communism; as you can see the difference between say Baroque architecture and music compared to Soviet architecture and music; you can totally see what is more inspiring.
You don't have to be a commie!
Or pick an eastern religion - Buddhism, Taoism - I recommend the latter!

Forum List

Back