My Catholic faith has become a liability -- where do I dump it?

It's not that easy.

I can't just choose not to believe.
Then don't stop believing.

It comes down to you being willing to accept the teachings of the church or not. If not, you need to find another church that fits what is actually in your heart. If you truly do believe the Catholic dogma around marriages then you are going to have to accept that you are not going to ever have a girlfriend. Accept what you cannot change and change what you cannot accept.

What do you actually believe?
I am 55 years old and could easily live another 30 years.

Do I live alone for 30 years and maybe go to heaven?

Do I try to get a girlfriend and a wife and end up in hell?
Only you can put you in hell. Give yourself a break.

Lakhota, you don't get your fifty cents from the Democrats just for marking my posts as "funny."

How can I make myself STOP being a Catholic?

I am divorced.

That means if I ever have a girlfriend I am committing adultery.

If I get married I am denied the Eucharist, and then I go to hell.

I could get an annulment, but then I have to trash talk my ex-wife and then say we never really got married which I am unwilling to do.

Why not drop religion completely? I did 30 years ago, been happier for it.

I am divorced.

I could get an annulment, but then I have to trash talk my ex-wife and then say we never really got married which I am unwilling to do.
Dude. You been on a crises of faith thing for several months now. I wish you peace and God's grace.
The only way I'll have peace is to resign myself to being alone for the rest of my life.

You'll be the life of parties.

I am divorced.

Become an Episcopalian.

Catholic Lite®....All the fun, half the guilt.

BTW, I'm not joking.

The Episcopal Church is a "bridge" Church between the Catholics and the Protestants. It is an admixture of both religions.

I am divorced.

Why not drop religion completely? I did 30 years ago, been happier for it.
It's hard to explain faith to someone who doesn't have it.

Imagine you believe something so strongly that you have no doubt it's true.

Like the sun is in the sky, that's how sure you are it's true.

You can't just drop a faith like that, or wish it away.

I am divorced.

Become an Episcopalian.

BTW, I'm not joking.

The Episcopal Church is a "bridge" Church between the Catholics and the Protestants. It is an admixture of both religions.
I looked into the Episcopalians.

They don't really believe -- even in their own religion.

Listen to your heart. If you don't feel that

I am divorced.

Dude. You been on a crises of faith thing for several months now. I wish you peace and God's grace.
The only way I'll have peace is to resign myself to being alone for the rest of my life.

Go talk to your parish priest. You are trying to be self-destructive.
He would say, get an annulment.

I don't feel right doing that.

Listen to your heart, if it doesn't sound right, it's not.

It's not that easy.

It comes down to you being willing to accept the teachings of the church or not. If not, you need to find another church that fits what is actually in your heart. If you truly do believe the Catholic dogma around marriages then you are going to have to accept that you are not going to ever have a girlfriend. Accept what you cannot change and change what you cannot accept.

Again, what is in your heart.

If you truly believe such will send you to hell then I would hope you would be willing to make such a sacrifice - eternity is a long damn time Blackrock. However, if it is just a matter of complying with Church dogma, that is a different story. I would say, not to be to forward, that you need to do some real soul searching to discover if it is the Catholic faith that you truly believe or if it is God you believe in and follow church doctrine because it is the one you belong to.

I have no doubt that your religious leaders will help you through this if your heart is sincere and you truly do believe in the Catholic faith. If you try and comport with dogma that you really do not truly believe in though it will cause rot and resentment. That is not what faith should bring.

I ask again, do you know what you truly believe? And I do not mean what you think you believe or what you have followed thus far. It is very, very tough to truly look within yourself and discover what you truly have faith in, where your heart and soul really is.

I am divorced.

Become an Episcopalian.

BTW, I'm not joking.

What is more important than what you believe?

It's not that easy.

If you truly believe such will send you to hell then I would hope you would be willing to make such a sacrifice - eternity is a long damn time Blackrock. However, if it is just a matter of complying with Church dogma, that is a different story. I would say, not to be to forward, that you need to do some real soul searching to discover if it is the Catholic faith that you truly believe or if it is God you believe in and follow church doctrine because it is the one you belong to.

I have no doubt that your religious leaders will help you through this if your heart is sincere and you truly do believe in the Catholic faith. If you try and comport with dogma that you really do not truly believe in though it will cause rot and resentment. That is not what faith should bring.

I ask again, do you know what you truly believe? And I do not mean what you think you believe or what you have followed thus far. It is very, very tough to truly look within yourself and discover what you truly have faith in, where your heart and soul really is.
The answer is, I believe in all of it.

I believe everything the Catholic Church teaches is true.

I believe suicides go to hell -- so my mother is in hell.

I believe unbaptized babies don't go to heaven -- so literally billions of innocent little babies aren't in heaven.

I believe people who get divorced and remarried go to hell.

I believe all of -- and I can't take it anymore.

Oh, and all homosexuals are going to hell too.

I don't really want to believe it, but I have to.

I am divorced.

Become an Episcopalian.

BTW, I'm not joking.

^ This.

I am divorced.

Become an Episcopalian.

BTW, I'm not joking.

^ This.
I believe in Catholicism.

I can't escape the trap of believing in Catholicism.

I am bitter because of what I must believe as a Catholic, starting with the fact that my mother is in hell.

And if I move on with my life and have a girlfriend or a wife, I go to hell too.

I am divorced.

As long as you confess your sins and do some Hail Mary's you can go out and hire a hooker. It is only a permanent black mark if you don't tell your priest about your good times.

It's not that easy.

The answer is, I believe in all of it.

I believe everything the Catholic Church teaches is true.

I believe suicides go to hell -- so my mother is in hell.

I believe unbaptized babies don't go to heaven -- so literally billions of innocent little babies aren't in heaven.

I believe people who get divorced and remarried go to hell.

I believe all of -- and I can't take it anymore.
Then, if you truly do want my advice, go to your Pastor. Violating your faith, if it is true, will cause more harm than you or I can imagine. Stay true to YOURSELF. There is nothing worse than betraying yourself no matter what burdens you must bear to keep that truth.

I truly am sorry for what you are going through - I cannot imagine but that is what the Church is there for. To help you through a crisis of faith and help you see what is the best path for you to forge ahead on.

I am divorced.

Become an Episcopalian.

BTW, I'm not joking.

The bridge is between Catholics and Anglicans. There aren't but two or three 'Protestant' churches, Calvinism, Anglican, and Lutheran; only Calvinism is a true break from Catholicism, the other two being merely dissidence over money and power, as usual. The 'evangelicals' are an category all their own, came along later, breaking away from all four. they get classified as 'Protestant' but that is just a term of convenience, as they're also breakaways from Protestant sects.

Forum List

Back