Zone1 I Would Not Want to Be The Little Sister of Jesus

No, the Bible did not say "sisters" or "brothers". That was King James. The original would have said 'male kin' and 'female kin'. This includes half brothers and sisters; step brothers and sisters; cousins (first, second, even third). Non-Catholic denominations prefer to believe 'male kin' were all brothers and 'female kin' were all sisters. Catholic/Orthodox belief is that they were not full siblings. To add to the Catholic/Orthodox point, care of the mother fell to the oldest son. Upon his death, care would fall to the second son. Yet, as he was dying on the cross, Jesus said to John and Mary, Behold your mother, behold your son--and it was John who took care of Mary from then on.

Also, the word around very early Christians (Apostolic tradition) was that Mary remained a virgin. Remember, these early Christians would have been Jews, and Mary's continued virginity would have been juicy gossip at the time, as this was unheard of for married women. In her own time, Mary never would have been admired for such a thing, she would have been scorned.

All of this has been laid out before. Personally, I could not care less what the situation was because we.do.not.know. We have two hypothesis and as neither can be proven, it silly to argue which is right. Again, we.do.not.know. And have no way of finding out. Let it be.
There can be no half-brothers of half-sisters of Jesus

There's only one way in which they could be less than full siblings and still be siblings. That is, they all had the same mother, on account of no father being involved,
You are speaking specifically of Jesus; I was merely noting the extent the original word was more accurately 'kin' and all that word would have included.
You don't have to care less! We have two opposing hypotheses.
I am not saying I (or anyone else) 'have' to do anything. I am saying I could not care less which hypothesis anyone is inclined to believe. And I don't. Ever hear anyone say, "My life changed drastically for the good once I believed Jesus had full or half siblings or when I began to believe Jesus had no full siblings."

Does anything Jesus ever taught hinge on whether or not he had siblings? Would we look at "Love one another as I have loved you" differently if he had full or half siblings? Would our view of the Beatitudes change if we knew he had no siblings? Would we turn away from the cross in either circumstance?

You are speaking specifically of Jesus; I was merely noting the extent the original word was more accurately 'kin' and all that word would have included.

I am not saying I (or anyone else) 'have' to do anything. I am saying I could not care less which hypothesis anyone is inclined to believe. And I don't. Ever hear anyone say, "My life changed drastically for the good once I believed Jesus had full or half siblings or when I began to believe Jesus had no full siblings."

Does anything Jesus ever taught hinge on whether or not he had siblings? Would we look at "Love one another as I have loved you" differently if he had full or half siblings?
Jesus couldn't have had siblings, either whole or in half. That leaves the bibles out on a limb.
And on that, a bit more does indeed hinge on the credibility of the bibles and on the fact that he and his father have to own the bibles.

But you claim you don't care, again and again.

Maybe Ding will care enough? He has at least got to the point at which he refers to 'some' of the bibles as just rhetoric and allegory.

You need to start to lay claim to the controversies by starting to care.

One of your options is to claim that science and religion can't be spoken in the same room, or forum board in this case.

We are going to keep it polite and respectful of each other, no matter what some other Catholics try to do with these discussions!

You need to start to lay claim to the controversies by starting to care.
Controversies don't bother me. I picture the controversies in column form, and lay out all the possibilities. While I may favor one possibility over another, I am quite comfortable with there being others. It is what it is.

One of your options is to claim that science and religion can't be spoken in the same room, or forum board in this case.
I have not problem with it, and Ding doesn't appear to either. Science tells a story, history tells a story, literature tells a story. It's no big deal.

Controversies don't bother me. I picture the controversies in column form, and lay out all the possibilities. While I may favor one possibility over another, I am quite comfortable with there being others. It is what it is.
I think you're a wise Christian to understand that it can't be both ways. That is, if that's what you're saying. Unlike Ding who has saddled himself with anger, frustration, and striking out at others for problems he's created for himself.

Nothing is written about Jesus as a child.
Sure there is. He was born in a manger and wrapped in swaddling clothes. He was visited by three wise men from the East who brought him good stuff. And there was a little more, too. (Refer to
Luke 2:41–52).

Moonblow, since you don’t know what you’re talking about, maybe XXXX
This post is Mod edited for zone 1 compliance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure there is. He was born in a manger and wrapped in swaddling clothes. He was visited by three wise men from the East who brought him good stuff. And there was a little more, too.

Goonblow, since you don’t know what you’re talking about, maybe Stfu.
You know what I mean so try eating your own.

To my knowledge Jesus had no siblings.

And why is that?
Also nothing about him being married either.

In those days, if you didn't get married, it was because you were a raving HOMOSEXUAL who cross dressed and turned up at gay events in skimpy leather things....

And why is that?
Also nothing about him being married either.

In those days, if you didn't get married, it was because you were a raving HOMOSEXUAL who cross dressed and turned up at gay events in skimpy leather things....
Are you on drugs?

That’s nice but it’s fake news. If Jesus had a brother he wouldn’t have had to entrust the care for his mother to his disciple John

And it says that where exactly in the Bible? I'm sure He had His reasons that we don't have to understand.

Forum List

Back