Zone1 Jesus said Few find the Narrow Way to Heaven (so most go to Hell)

forkintheroad7

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2024

This is not Catholic, officially, but it does not contradict Catholic teaching (that I am aware of, and I have read the entire thing)

Site [emphasis mine]:

The question of whether there are more people in Heaven or Hell is answered by Jesus Himself in one succinct passage: “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few” (Matthew 7:13–14).

This passage tells us that only those who receive Jesus Christ and who believe in Him [Catholics agree but have a different view on "receiving Him"] are given the right to become children of God (John 1:12). As such, the gift of eternal life comes only through Jesus Christ to all those who believe. He said, I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6). It’s not through Mohammed, Buddha, or other false gods of man’s making. It’s not for those wanting a cheap and easy way to Heaven while continuing to live their own selfish and worldly lives on earth. Jesus only saves those who fully trust in Him as Savior (Acts 4:12).

So, what are these two gates in Matthew 7:13–14? They are the entrance to two different “ways.” The wide gate leads to the broad way, or road. The small, narrow gate leads to the way that is narrow. The narrow way is the way of the godly, and the broad way is the way of the ungodly. The broad way is the easy way. It is attractive and self-indulgent. It is permissive. It’s the inclusive way of the world, with few rules, few restrictions, and fewer requirements. Tolerance of sin is the norm where God’s Word is not studied and His standards not followed. This way requires no spiritual maturity, no moral character, no commitment, and no sacrifice. It is the easy way of salvation, following “the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience” (Ephesians 2:2). It is that broad way that “seems right to a man, but end is the way to death” (Proverbs 14:12).

Those who preach a gospel of inclusiveness where “all ways lead to heaven” preach an utterly different gospel than the one Jesus preached. The gate of self-centeredness, self-absorption, and a proud, holier-than-thou mindset is the wide gate of the world that leads to hell, not the narrow gate that leads to eternal life. As a result, most people spend their lives following the masses who are on the broad road, doing what everyone else does and believing what everyone else believes.

The narrow way is the hard way, the demanding way. It is the way of recognizing that you cannot save yourself and must depend on Jesus Christ alone to save you. It’s the way of self-denial and the cross. The fact that few find God’s way implies that it is to be sought diligently. “You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13). No one will stumble into the kingdom or wander through the narrow gate by accident. Someone asked Jesus, “Lord, will those who are saved be few?” He replied, “Strive to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able” (Luke 13:23–24).

Many will seek to enter that narrow door, the door of salvation, but “will not be able.” They are unwilling to trust/rely on Jesus alone. They are unwilling to pay the price. It costs too much for them to give up the world. God’s gate is a gate through which one cannot carry the baggage of sin and self-will, nor can one carry the accoutrements of materialism. The way of Christ is the way of the cross, and the way of the cross is the way of self-denial. Jesus said, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it” (Luke 9:23–24).

Jesus knows that many will choose the wide gate and the broad way that leads to destruction and hell. Correspondingly, He said that only a few will choose the narrow gate. According to Matthew 7:13–14, there is no doubt that more will go to Hell than to Heaven. The question for you is, then, on which road are you?

Comments

I really don't have any further comments

for once

:)

No wonder Amerca is slipping down the plug hole if people have reached this low point .
And as for people in Fatty Land taking the narrow way -- the mind boggles .

At that site, I read this

John 3:16 offers the clear words of Jesus on this issue: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." Those with faith in Jesus as God's Son have eternal life.

The thing is that this psg would SEEM to contradict other Scripture psgs.

I say SEEM to because the Bible does not contradict itself in any egregious kind of way.

So reading this scripture John 3:16, we see that whoever believes in Christ shall not perish. .

But if we look @ the word Believes, well, you have to define it because everyone believes Jesus is real. Even atheists get nervous hearing the name of Jesus...

Believing is not what counts, though, not by itself anyway.

Jesus said that if you love Him, you will do what He says.

Belief and Acting go hand in hand.

"Even the demons believe and tremble" (James chapter 2)

This is not Catholic, officially, but it does not contradict Catholic teaching (that I am aware of, and I have read the entire thing)

Site [emphasis mine]:

The question of whether there are more people in Heaven or Hell is answered by Jesus Himself in one succinct passage: “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few” (Matthew 7:13–14).

This passage tells us that only those who receive Jesus Christ and who believe in Him [Catholics agree but have a different view on "receiving Him"] are given the right to become children of God (John 1:12). As such, the gift of eternal life comes only through Jesus Christ to all those who believe. He said, I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6). It’s not through Mohammed, Buddha, or other false gods of man’s making. It’s not for those wanting a cheap and easy way to Heaven while continuing to live their own selfish and worldly lives on earth. Jesus only saves those who fully trust in Him as Savior (Acts 4:12).

So, what are these two gates in Matthew 7:13–14? They are the entrance to two different “ways.” The wide gate leads to the broad way, or road. The small, narrow gate leads to the way that is narrow. The narrow way is the way of the godly, and the broad way is the way of the ungodly. The broad way is the easy way. It is attractive and self-indulgent. It is permissive. It’s the inclusive way of the world, with few rules, few restrictions, and fewer requirements. Tolerance of sin is the norm where God’s Word is not studied and His standards not followed. This way requires no spiritual maturity, no moral character, no commitment, and no sacrifice. It is the easy way of salvation, following “the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience” (Ephesians 2:2). It is that broad way that “seems right to a man, but end is the way to death” (Proverbs 14:12).

Those who preach a gospel of inclusiveness where “all ways lead to heaven” preach an utterly different gospel than the one Jesus preached. The gate of self-centeredness, self-absorption, and a proud, holier-than-thou mindset is the wide gate of the world that leads to hell, not the narrow gate that leads to eternal life. As a result, most people spend their lives following the masses who are on the broad road, doing what everyone else does and believing what everyone else believes.

The narrow way is the hard way, the demanding way. It is the way of recognizing that you cannot save yourself and must depend on Jesus Christ alone to save you. It’s the way of self-denial and the cross. The fact that few find God’s way implies that it is to be sought diligently. “You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13). No one will stumble into the kingdom or wander through the narrow gate by accident. Someone asked Jesus, “Lord, will those who are saved be few?” He replied, “Strive to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able” (Luke 13:23–24).

Many will seek to enter that narrow door, the door of salvation, but “will not be able.” They are unwilling to trust/rely on Jesus alone. They are unwilling to pay the price. It costs too much for them to give up the world. God’s gate is a gate through which one cannot carry the baggage of sin and self-will, nor can one carry the accoutrements of materialism. The way of Christ is the way of the cross, and the way of the cross is the way of self-denial. Jesus said, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it” (Luke 9:23–24).

Jesus knows that many will choose the wide gate and the broad way that leads to destruction and hell. Correspondingly, He said that only a few will choose the narrow gate. According to Matthew 7:13–14, there is no doubt that more will go to Hell than to Heaven. The question for you is, then, on which road are you?

Comments

for once

Out of curiosity, what became of people born before Jesus or who never learned about him?

forkintheroad7 Do you believe good kind faith filled Buddhists will not be allowed in Heaven?...
I am not their Judge. However, Jesus said that HE is the Way, the Truth and the Life

And that no one will go to the Father (Heaven) except through HIM

In the Old Testament, Isaiah, when the Coming of Jesus was prophesied, it says

(this and that about the coming Messiah)

and at the end it says

"And the will of God will be accomplished through HIM" (emphasis added)

The question of whether there are more people in Heaven or Hell is answered by Jesus Himself in one succinct passage: “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few”
Note the passage in Matthew says, leads to life, not leads to heaven. Using an easy analogy, which leads to life as an athlete, the narrow gate of training, discipline, and hard work, or the easy gate of watching and getting out of as much training as possible? Choosing what is hard leads to life; being a couch potato is really no life at all.

Starting from that perspective, let's go to the first Commandment to love God and to put him first. The hard way is to do just that, love God and put him first always. For me, that has led to abundant life right here, right now. Life is eternal. Had I not chosen to know and love God, I sometimes contemplate what destruction I might be wading through in this life today.

Note the passage in Matthew says, leads to life, not leads to heaven. Using an easy analogy, which leads to life as an athlete, the narrow gate of training, discipline, and hard work, or the easy gate of watching and getting out of as much training as possible? Choosing what is hard leads to life; being a couch potato is really no life at all.

Starting from that perspective, let's go to the first Commandment to love God and to put him first. The hard way is to do just that, love God and put him first always. For me, that has led to abundant life right here, right now. Life is eternal. Had I not chosen to know and love God, I sometimes contemplate what destruction I might be wading through in this life today.
You are wrong. The word Life, when used by Jesus in most of his statements means Heaven (which is not to say he wants us to be abjectly miserable on Earth 24/7)

And you are NOT to live an abundant life here on Earth, especially when others live in poverty. If you are living well and not helping others, you are on your way to Hell... It says that clearly in Mt 25:31 and Luke 16:19

You are wrong. The word Life, when used by Jesus in most of his statements
Jesus spoke Aramaic and also Hebrew. The word for life in both languages is not a reference to heaven. It is a reference to life and how one's life is united with God who gave life. It's about living life as God meant us to live it, a joining of our life to the life of God. It's not something in the future. We live with God's life right here, right now. That's the narrow way, the hard way--not just going the easy way of self only.

Site [emphasis mine]:

Comments

for once

In Jesus' day most people were neither Jew nor Christian.

But you can't start Matthew 7 with verse 13:

The opening verses of Chapter 7:
"
7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

1716238981606.png

Jesus spoke Aramaic and also Hebrew. The word for life in both languages is not a reference to heaven. It is a reference to life and how one's life is united with God who gave life. It's about living life as God meant us to live it, a joining of our life to the life of God. It's not something in the future. We live with God's life right here, right now. That's the narrow way, the hard way--not just going the easy way of self only.
I know what languages Jesus spoke.

And I use the Douay Rheims bible, the most accurate, and was based on those languages..

And while we are to do all Jesus said in this life, FOR this life.. Jesus was mostly concerned about the next realm. As mentioned, Jesus said that most people do not make it (my words). So really, it seems kind of nit picky to go on about whether he was talking about life now or life later. To me, it is all the same, except that if you obey Jesus in this life, you will have a great one in the next..

And we can look at Luke 16:19 if we want to know about whether or not helping the less fortunate --or not is important to Jesus, important for getting to Heaven. That psg and Mt 25:31 tell us the answer. A lot of "christians" seem to think that if a person is poor, it is entirely his or her own fault.. But Jesus does not seem to look at it this way..

In Jesus' day most people were neither Jew nor Christian.

But you can't start Matthew 7 with verse 13:

The opening verses of Chapter 7:
"
7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
It is YOU who say I am judging.

how ironic

I haven't judged anyone. But you have judged me, apparently

Jesus was mostly concerned about the next realm.
...they will be done on Earth as it is in heaven...

His concern seems to be about what is being done on Earth. He was reminding people with the Aramaic/Hebrew word 'life' that our existence today is meant to be joined with God today as well.
So really, it seems kind of nit picky to go on about whether he was talking about life now or life later.
I'm interested in language and etymology, and what a person speaking a different language is specifically saying is important to me. Jesus spent a lot of time teaching us how to live this life. God's graces and blessings are available to us now. We don't have to wait until heaven.

I am not their Judge. However, Jesus said that HE is the Way, the Truth and the Life

And that no one will go to the Father (Heaven) except through HIM

In the Old Testament, Isaiah, when the Coming of Jesus was prophesied, it says

(this and that about the coming Messiah)

and at the end it says

"And the will of God will be accomplished through HIM" (emphasis added)
Then maybe it is not a place I want to end up... if good people can't get in because they didn't know about Christianity and the words of Jesus Christ how can it be "Heaven"....
How about Jews?... so no Jews can go to Heaven?... I have Jews in my family who I love... so if they can't get in... it can't be Heaven for me...
Don't mix up what men wrote in the name of Jesus for what the word of God is...

Forum List

Back