I just had a brilliant idea!

With all this talk about our democracy being threatened I had an idea that would save it! We make the presidential term 6 years and then prevent the same political party from holding power in consecutive terms.

You’re welcome!

Bad, bad idea.

You need to end this elections every two years horseshit and actually give an administration time to get stuff done. Right now you basically have one year to get your agenda through and then you’re on the midterms for the next year all year long.

Americans waste a lot of time and money holding elections and dragging them out forever. In sensible countries you get six weeks to campaign, start to finish, then it’s over for another 4 or 5 years.

With all this talk about our democracy being threatened I had an idea that would save it! We make the presidential term 6 years and then prevent the same political party from holding power in consecutive terms.

You’re welcome!
Interesting idea. So for example, if it's the Democrat's turn to be President, does everyone vote for the Democrat nominee for President?
My hope is that it lessens the power of the Big two and more parties and unaffiliated candidates emerge
Unless you add more restrictions, what you described would not add more party or candidate influence, but just alternate between the top 2.
Only with something like a parliamentary system where coalitions are encouraged in order to get a majority, will additional parties ever be encouraged.
Which is why I suggest we scrap parties completely.
They are not supported by law anyway.
Now you’re getting to the end game. Scrap parties!
You arent seeing the big picture. Your idea will just rotate them. The problem isnt not having a one term limit with FORCED party ballots. Thats silly.
It may rotate them at first but it will give rise to new parties and new candidates during campaign season as it won’t be Rs vs Ds anymore. Others will have a louder more visible voice and the off party becomes impotent lessening their overall power

No offense, but the US Constitution works just fine as it is. Over time each party gets influence, and then loses it. Gridlock is best, but occasionally we do need to pass a real law or two,.
I disagree. I see issues with partisan politics and corruption and I think exploring proactive ideas is a good thing
No offense, but the Constitution has worked just fine.
I'm not sure what "problem" you are trying to "solve".
So please be more specific than just "taking turns".
A democracy is supposed to be about competing ideas and policies.
Your way would just be endless ping-pong like Obama undoing Bush, Trump undoing Obama, Xiden undoing Trump, etc.
My idea gives exposure and a voice to others who are not beholden to one of two corrupt parties that run everything.

You’re welcome!

Bad, bad idea.

You need to end this elections every two years horseshit and actually give an administration time to get stuff done. Right now you basically have one year to get your agenda through and then you’re on the midterms for the next year all year long.

Americans waste a lot of time and money holding elections and dragging them out forever. In sensible countries you get six weeks to campaign, start to finish, then it’s over for another 4 or 5 years.
6 year term does that. I’m also fine with a smaller timeline for campaigning

You’re welcome!
Can you stop Faux Xiden from taking bribes from Russia and China?

No offense, but the US Constitution works just fine as it is. Over time each party gets influence, and then loses it. Gridlock is best, but occasionally we do need to pass a real law or two,.
I disagree. I see issues with partisan politics and corruption and I think exploring proactive ideas is a good thing
Your way would just be endless ping-pong like Obama undoing Bush, Trump undoing Obama, Xiden undoing Trump, etc.
My idea gives exposure and a voice to others who are not beholden to one of two corrupt parties that run everything.
Nope. Candidates need to be elected even in your 6-year scenario. Sorry, but its a bad bad idea. I can't believe I just agreed with Dragonlady?!

Nope. Candidates need to be elected even in your 6-year scenario. Sorry, but its a bad bad idea. I can't believe I just agreed with Dragonlady?!
Yes they need to be elected. did you think is was saying they didn’t need to be elected?

You’re welcome!

Bad, bad idea.

But it has to be one six year term for the whole of government and no term limits - period, for anyone. These staggered elections have turned in two year boondoggles which stifle actual governance. You spend 2 years campaigning for President, and then one year of governing before you shut down for one year of mid-term primaries and campaigns.

You’re welcome!

Bad, bad idea.

But it has to be one six year term for the whole of government and no term limits - period, for anyone. These staggered elections have turned in two year boondoggles which stifle actual governance.
I don’t think that’s an effective way to function. Can’t wipe out the experienced and replace with newbies all at once

Yes they need to be elected. did you think is was saying they didn’t need to be elected?
You just said that presidents would have alternating 6-year terms. But did not say anything about the House or Senate. So if the democrats have a president, then only republicans would vote for their guy for the next 6-years, correct?

My hope is that it lessens the power of the Big two and more parties and unaffiliated candidates emerge
You didn't answer my question. So if for example it is the DEMS turn in office, do we all vote for the Democratic Presidential nominee instead of voting for any Party's candidate?
No, my hope would be for many other options to run against the dem and hopefully elect somebody from another party besides the Rs or Ds

You just said that presidents would have alternating 6-year terms. But did not say anything about the House or Senate. So if the democrats have a president, then only republicans would vote for their guy for the next 6-years, correct?
We can expand the idea to the house and senate. But if you think the presidential idea is shit then why would you want to dive further into it?

We need a government like the UK where we don't vote on President. We vote on multiple parties for Congress and then Congress votes on who will be President.

You’re welcome!
I’d rather we just remove the party labels from the ballot entirely, at least that will encourage the voters to do at least a little bit of homework before pulling the lever.

Once we have that in place we can move on to requiring a basic CIVICS test before being allowed to vote; if you think the three branches of the Federal Government are the Olive Branch, the Hickory Branch and the Money Tree Branch then you shouldn’t be allowed to vote. :p

No, my hope would be for many other options to run against the dem and hopefully elect somebody from another party besides the Rs or Ds
Well essentially you are advocating for Dem and GOP to alternate every 6 years but I could see more money potentially flowing to non DEM and GOP candidates. Yeah that's pretty good Slade!

Forum List

Back