I just had a brilliant idea!

The problem isnt the same party controlling a branch consecutively, it is the way we do elections.
We need to do with away with the duopolies hold on elections.
I agree. That’s what this idea is designed to do. Think about it before trolling
That wasnt trolling, you fuckin idiot.
And like i just said, your idea is stupid.

With all this talk about our democracy being threatened I had an idea that would save it! We make the presidential term 6 years and then prevent the same political party from holding power in consecutive terms.

You’re welcome!

It's not "your democracy", it's not even a "democracy", and the only thing that threatens it are you leftists.

That wasn't a "brilliant idea", it was more of a "brain shart."

I see the attempt at fairness, where alternating parties forces negotiations.
But the problem is parties really are meaningless, and both parties seem to be controlled by the same wealthy elite.

For example, I could not vote for Hillary in the 2016 election because she had supported a much more right wing hawk stance on the Mideast than even the Republicans.

I no only would have much preferred Sanders anti war policies, but I think so would most republicans, since he has such a history of fiscal conservatism in Vermont.

Instead of making parties even more valid, I think the solution is to eliminate them entirely.
Instead of primary elections by party, just hold 1 single open election with all candidates, where you rank them all.
I’m thinking this method would make the parties less valid. I’d obviously want to accompany this with an extreme overhaul in the campaign financing system

With all this talk about our democracy being threatened I had an idea that would save it! We make the presidential term 6 years and then prevent the same political party from holding power in consecutive terms.

You’re welcome!
Interesting idea. So for example, if it's the Democrat's turn to be President, does everyone vote for the Democrat nominee for President?
My hope is that it lessens the power of the Big two and more parties and unaffiliated candidates emerge
Unless you add more restrictions, what you described would not add more party or candidate influence, but just alternate between the top 2.
Only with something like a parliamentary system where coalitions are encouraged in order to get a majority, will additional parties ever be encouraged.
Which is why I suggest we scrap parties completely.
They are not supported by law anyway.

You’re welcome!

It's not "your democracy", it's not even a "democracy", and the only thing that threatens it are you leftists.

Explain why

No offense, but the US Constitution works just fine as it is. Over time each party gets influence, and then loses it. Gridlock is best, but occasionally we do need to pass a real law or two,.

You’re welcome!

Explain why
The why is because they would never agree on a new Constitution.

You’re welcome!
Interesting idea. So for example, if it's the Democrat's turn to be President, does everyone vote for the Democrat nominee for President?
My hope is that it lessens the power of the Big two and more parties and unaffiliated candidates emerge
Unless you add more restrictions, what you described would not add more party or candidate influence, but just alternate between the top 2.
Only with something like a parliamentary system where coalitions are encouraged in order to get a majority, will additional parties ever be encouraged.
Now you’re getting to the end game. Scrap parties!

No offense, but the US Constitution works just fine as it is. Over time each party gets influence, and then loses it. Gridlock is best, but occasionally we do need to pass a real law or two,.
I disagree. I see issues with partisan politics and corruption and I think exploring proactive ideas is a good thing

The problem isnt the same party controlling a branch consecutively, it is the way we do elections.
I agree. That’s what this idea is designed to do. Think about it before trolling
Why is it stupid?
I have already commented on it. And rigby just explained it well, too.
As i said, your mind is in the right place.. but this ridiculous idea wont do it. You arent thinking deep enough. It will just rotate the corrupt parties.
We need to do away with money in politics. We need to tell the duopoly to go fuck themselves.
I cant remember what its called, but i like the idea of a ballot with ALL candidates on it, and you number them in order of how much you like them. Or something similar.
If you arent a D or R, you dont get any spotlight because our corporatists in govt let private companies run our elections. Dont bite the hand that feeds, as they say.

You’re welcome!

Explain why
The why is because they would never agree on a new Constitution.
That’s not a “why”. Saying that it would never get done does not explain why the idea is a bad one

You’re welcome!
Now you’re getting to the end game. Scrap parties!
You arent seeing the big picture. Your idea will just rotate them. The problem isnt not having a one term limit with FORCED party ballots. Thats silly.

So what the OP is suggesting is that the Globalist Uniparty play musical chairs every 6 years instead of 4.

Meh.

You’re welcome!
Good idea. Put Trump back in office. That way he can fix all of the shit Xiden has fucked up since Jan 21st.

You’re welcome!
I got a much better and more effective idea.

Free rides for all the Communists in DC:

9E417B91-D9B3-4808-BFF6-44A6A1C41DCC.jpeg

I disagree. I see issues with partisan politics and corruption and I think exploring proactive ideas is a good thing
No offense, but the Constitution has worked just fine.
I'm not sure what "problem" you are trying to "solve".
So please be more specific than just "taking turns".
A democracy is supposed to be about competing ideas and policies.
Your way would just be endless ping-pong like Obama undoing Bush, Trump undoing Obama, Xiden undoing Trump, etc.

Why is it stupid?
I have already commented on it. And rigby just explained it well, too.
As i said, your mind is in the right place.. but this ridiculous idea wont do it. You arent thinking deep enough. It will just rotate the corrupt parties.
We need to do away with money in politics. We need to tell the duopoly to go fuck themselves.
I cant remember what its called, but i like the idea of a ballot with ALL candidates on it, and you number them in order of how much you like them. Or something similar.
If you arent a D or R, you dont get any spotlight because our corporatists in govt let private companies run our elections. Dont bite the hand that feeds, as they say.
Obviously campaign financing needs major fixes that’s a long standing idea. This idea makes people who join a party only capable of serving one term. That gives incentive to be unaffiliated if you want a longer career in politics. It would decimate the big two and force the power hungry bureaucrats to find new ways of holding power. Different is good IMO in this case

Forum List

Back