I just had a brilliant idea!

With all this talk about our democracy being threatened I had an idea that would save it! We make the presidential term 6 years and then prevent the same political party from holding power in consecutive terms.

You’re welcome!

Bad, bad idea.

You need to end this elections every two years horseshit and actually give an administration time to get stuff done. Right now you basically have one year to get your agenda through and then you’re on the midterms for the next year all year long.

Americans waste a lot of time and money holding elections and dragging them out forever. In sensible countries you get six weeks to campaign, start to finish, then it’s over for another 4 or 5 years.
6 year term does that. I’m also fine with a smaller timeline for campaigning

But it has to be one six year term for the whole of government and no term limits - period, for anyone. These staggered elections have turned in two year boondoggles which stifle actual governance.
I don’t think that’s an effective way to function. Can’t wipe out the experienced and replace with newbies all at once
What part of "no term limits" did you miss?

Basically what you're proposing is a Parliamentary system of government.

That really represent Democracy, not....
Fuck democracy we are a Republic.
Democracy leads to tyranny.
Correction.

Democracy IS tyranny, the tyranny of the majority, which is why the founders decided not go that route for the Federal Government. ;)

The Founders did not envision a "tryanny of the minority" either, which is what you've had these past 30 years, and it really has not worked out well for you. Two of the worst Presidents in US history. Two economic crashes at the hands of Republicans. Racial unrest as minorities chaffed under the worst police brutality in the free world, gerrymandering and voter suppression to keep the minority in power.

If anything, the past 30 years should have taught you that the majority should have their interests considered first. The minority is incompetent and incapable of governing.

Correction.

Democracy IS tyranny, the tyranny of the majority, which is why the founders decided not go that route for the Federal Government. ;)

The Founders did not envision a "tryanny of the minority" either, which is what you've had these past 30 years, and it really has not worked out well for you. Two of the worst Presidents in US history. Two economic crashes at the hands of Republicans. Racial unrest as minorities chaffed under the worst police brutality in the free world, gerrymandering and voter suppression to keep the minority in power.

If anything, the past 30 years should have taught you that the majority should have their interests considered first. The minority is incompetent and incapable of governing.
The minority is incompetent and incapable of governing.
Biden is living proof of that.

With all this talk about our democracy being threatened I had an idea that would save it! We make the presidential term 6 years and then prevent the same political party from holding power in consecutive terms.

You’re welcome!
Not sure how it provides accountability but I've seen worse ideas.

Correction.

The intelligent "majority" you are talking about just elected an 80 year old drooler than cant complete a thought.
Jesus Christ, are all you canadians stupid, or are you the "minority?"
:lol:

You’re welcome!
I’d rather we just remove the party labels from the ballot entirely, at least that will encourage the voters to do at least a little bit of homework before pulling the lever.

Once we have that in place we can move on to requiring a basic CIVICS test before being allowed to vote; if you think the three branches of the Federal Government are the Olive Branch, the Hickory Branch and the Money Tree Branch then you shouldn’t be allowed to vote. :p
Interesting... just curious to see where you stand on gun control laws.

No, my hope would be for many other options to run against the dem and hopefully elect somebody from another party besides the Rs or Ds
Well essentially you are advocating for Dem and GOP to alternate every 6 years but I could see more money potentially flowing to non DEM and GOP candidates. Yeah that's pretty good Slade!
My hope is to break the cycle of alternating the Dems and Reps. The money that would have go to the Reps during their “off” cycle would go to other parties and or candidates and expand on the non mainstream

Political parties taking turns? Yeah, that will never happen.

You’re welcome!

Bad, bad idea.

You need to end this elections every two years horseshit and actually give an administration time to get stuff done. Right now you basically have one year to get your agenda through and then you’re on the midterms for the next year all year long.

Americans waste a lot of time and money holding elections and dragging them out forever. In sensible countries you get six weeks to campaign, start to finish, then it’s over for another 4 or 5 years.
6 year term does that. I’m also fine with a smaller timeline for campaigning

But it has to be one six year term for the whole of government and no term limits - period, for anyone. These staggered elections have turned in two year boondoggles which stifle actual governance.
I don’t think that’s an effective way to function. Can’t wipe out the experienced and replace with newbies all at once
What part of "no term limits" did you miss?

Basically what you're proposing is a Parliamentary system of government.
All of it I guess

You’re welcome!
I’d rather we just remove the party labels from the ballot entirely, at least that will encourage the voters to do at least a little bit of homework before pulling the lever.

Once we have that in place we can move on to requiring a basic CIVICS test before being allowed to vote; if you think the three branches of the Federal Government are the Olive Branch, the Hickory Branch and the Money Tree Branch then you shouldn’t be allowed to vote. :p
I'm against them, individuals have the right to defend themselves and thus the right to procure the means to defend themselves without Government interference.

ok but where is the "brilliant" idea?
It did a face plant. Until the corruption of money is removed from politics nothing is going to change. Its a free for all, get elected and then sell your vote to the highest bidder.
The only way to reduce the money in politics is to reduce the power politicians have. Ever notice that they only grant themselves MORE power, never less? That's because each new grab brings with it more lobbyists with more money.

You’re welcome!

Honestly my idea is to get rid of democrats and republicans, no more parties. How can a small group of people make decision for a country of millions when they are diametrically opposed to eachother? They care more about gaining political power over the other and arguing and be "the ones who are right" over the welfare of the people. Example, pelosi admitted she withheld stimulus checks for citizens to put pressure on trump and make him look bad.

My other idea to staff congress with term limits and only put in place a variety of people from around the country. Judges, police chiefs, hospital senior administration, fire chiefs, school board super intendant's, city planners, and so on. People from different parts of the country with a variety of public related high end posistions. People that actually know what's going on with the country and its people.

Make them all be sworn in under the oath that their only concern is the welfare of the country and its citizens as a whole, no outside influences will come before the country and its people, no personal beliefs religious or otherwise will be a factor in decision making, and that they will do what's best for the country and not what's best for individuals. Breaking of that oath is immediate dismissal.

We need a government that is together, not seperated into groups. We need dedicated people that love the country and are hard nosed enough to make tough decisions for what's best for the country.

Then again, maybe we are both naive.

You’re welcome!
Not sure how it provides accountability but I've seen worse ideas.
Accountability is a whole other enchilada

You’re welcome!

I'm against them, individuals have the right to defend themselves and thus the right to procure the means to defend themselves without Government interference.
Ok so no restrictions to guns but restrictions to voting... got it.

You’re welcome!

Honestly my idea is to get rid of democrats and republicans, no more parties. How can a small group of people make decision for a country of millions when they are diametrically opposed to eachother? They care more about gaining political power over the other and arguing and be "the ones who are right" over the welfare of the people. Example, pelosi admitted she withheld stimulus checks for citizens to put pressure on trump and make him look bad.

My other idea to staff congress with term limits and only put in place a variety of people from around the country. Judges, police chiefs, hospital senior administration, fire chiefs, school board super intendant's, city planners, and so on. People from different parts of the country with a variety of public related high end posistions. People that actually know what's going on with the country and its people.

Make them all be sworn in under the oath that their only concern is the welfare of the country and its citizens as a whole, no outside influences will come before the country and its people, no personal beliefs religious or otherwise will be a factor in decision making, and that they will do what's best for the country and not what's best for individuals. Breaking of that oath is immediate dismissal.

We need a government that is together, not seperated into groups. We need dedicated people that love the country and are hard nosed enough to make tough decisions for what's best for the country.

Then again, maybe we are both naive.
As long as there is disagreement on how to handle issues there are going to be political groups that fight for the power to legislate in the way they see fit. The problem is that the collection of ideas has been grouped in just two parties and nobody else can financially compete. I don’t think that is healthy

You’re welcome!

Where did I ever say “no restrictions to voting”? Self defense is a natural RIGHT, voting isn’t. Heck if I had my way 3/4 of the people who vote now would NOT be allowed to vote, we have far too many uniformed, vote myself some freebies imbeciles casting ballots.

You’re welcome!

Where did I ever say “no restrictions to voting”? Self defense is a natural RIGHT, voting isn’t. Heck if I had my way 3/4 of the people who vote now would NOT be allowed to vote, we have far too many uniformed, vote myself some freebies imbeciles casting ballots.
Both are constitutional rights

You’re welcome!

Both rights are restricted to citizens only with proof of citizenship via id. Or should be.

Forum List

Back