Ford F-150 Lightning EV Truck Production Paused Over Battery Issue

So if you're only supposed to charge the EV's battery to 80%
And in cold weather the car's distance due to the battery, can be reduced by up to 40%.
Meaning that anyone owning a Tesla during the northern states very cold winters. Won't be able to drive very far before needing a charge.

Last edited:
Tesla advertises the max range their EV's will go based on a 100% charge.
But their service bulletins strongly advise owners to only charge their EV to 80%.
Because regular charging to 100% for local daily driving. Will greatly reduce the long term life of the battery.
That the only time owners can charge to 100% with the least amount of battery degradation. Is right before going on a long distance trip.

OUCH. That means that even with an extra-expensive "high capacity long distance" model Sunni, that between charging limits and real world performance, the best one might really see out of a new EV is 180 miles. I used to drive more than twice that every week just going to work. Which means that on my one day off, I couldn't go anywhere, I'd likely have to stay home so my car could charge all day!

Then take off more distance for heavy hauling, towing, big family, cold weather or heavy accessory use.

No wonder all these EV owners are posting very unhappy videos!

(come to think of it, have you seen one vid of a new EV owner just THRILLED with his purchase?)

I hope it gets fixed. It's my understanding it can be used to power your house for a day or two. That can be a big deal post storm.
It take about the same amount of electricity to fully charge most EVs as the typical American middle class home uses in a 24 hr period.

I saw a video of guy that had a home garage charger, and usually charged his Tesla at night so it would be ready in the morning for his trip to work. One day he got lazy and left his car on the driveway.
But that really wasn't a problem because there was enough charge to get him to work, and there was a charging station across the street for his trip back home.
Just happened there was a hard freeze cold snap during the night.
When he got into his Tesla he found out the battery charge had gone down to like 7% because the battery has to keep itself warm. If a battery becomes totally discharged in freezing temperatures. It will be basically ruined and need to be replaced.
So the guy ran an extension cord from his garage charger to the Tesla but it couldn't keep up. Even with being on his charger for over an hour. The battery had gone down to 5%
The guy was in a panic at the thought of having to buy a $20,000 replacement battery.
He called a rollback tow truck to haul his Tesla to a public fast charge station.
The guy not only missed a days work, it cost him quite a bit to have it towed.

If a battery becomes totally discharged in freezing temperatures. It will be basically ruined and need to be replaced.

I think most/all EVs have a protection where below a certain point, they shut off and refuse to operate further. Not that this does the user a whole lot of good trying to get somewhere.

The hits keep on coming:

"If you’re lucky, your Ford F-150 Lightning order will be completed in about four to six months. But in reality, you could be waiting for years.

There is currently a backlog of orders that could take three to four years to fill. It’s disappointing that some F-150 Lightning reservation holders won’t receive their trucks until 2024. "

TESLA is going to own them for the next decade. The Musk factor may be the only thing that saves the Big 3.

So if you're only supposed to charge the EV's battery to 80%
And in cold weather the car's distance due to the battery, can be reduced by up to 40%.
Meaning that anyone owning a Tesla during the northern states very cold winters. Won't be able to drive very far before needing a charge.
A Tesla model S does 400 miles in a full charge… 80% of that is 320 miles and 40% of that is 128 miles…. Uber drivers do 60-100 miles a day on average

Is that what you thought I said? Whoa buddy. You really need to work on your reading comprehension
Sunni Man thats not something you agree or disagree with. You responded like I was making a point about Tesla owners driving Uber, which I wasn’t. You got it wrong. That’s just a fact

I used to drive more than twice that every week just going to work. Which means that on my one day off, I couldn't go anywhere, I'd likely have to stay home so my car could charge all day!
Hey genius, you charge your car each night. That’s the thing about electrics. You don’t need to go to the gas station. Imagine that

Forum List

Back